interesting rumor i heard in a psn lobby re: ps3 upgrade vs early ps4 release

idk if its true, how valid, or if this is just the ravings of a ps3 fanatic, but in a lobby in psn i was talking to this guy about ps4

he said sony might offer a gpu upgrade, push the limit of the cell, and perhaps increase ram, instead of rushing a ps4 release to beat xbox.

i for one, tho some dissagree, think the cell remains unfully tapped, so i continued to listen.

the upgraded nvidia gpu would be installed and the cpu would possibly be overclocked or something, along with increased ram/bus, etc...256mb supposedly....im not sure and i dont recall all the "specifics" cuz some of it didnt sound like it was for real, but it was interesting

point was with the upgrade, the ps4 could be released later than the xbox while the ps3 would still be competing for a lil while. did anyone else hear anything like this?

He's full of shit. There is no way that Sony would take on the liability of having people "upgrade" their existing PS3's.

I've gotten three PSN messages with "codes" for $50 in PSN cash recently. Each time the codes WERE codes but gave errors after you hit continue. I'd more likely believe the next time it's real than this.

That reminds me I have some people I need to now block for stupidity.

i hope u guys dont mean me man, i heard this in a mw lobby. i just thought it was interesting. so i passed it on in case anyone else heard it.

Sometimes I think it takes more effort for people to write in all lower case.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that your shift key is broken. :beer:

[quote name='chrislisting']i hope u guys dont mean me man, i heard this in a mw lobby. i just thought it was interesting. so i passed it on in case anyone else heard it.[/QUOTE]
not at all. no need to block you. I need to block the idiots who sent me those codes. Copy-paste was one of the worst things to come to PSN specifically b/c it enabled spam messages.

Nvidia hasn't been the best partner from what I've heard. Pretty sure the reports have indicated ATi has been tapped for the next/net GPU in the PS4.

I like how the "rumor" you heard is almost word for word what was posted in another PS3/PS4 thread, never mind that I actually posted it.

Well, it sounds very fake.

I doubt people would want to open their PS3 consoles which would void the warranty. Overall it sounds kind of dumb. Although I'd be interested in doing it if it does have some good effect, but it doesn't sound like it.

Did those kids mention a soldering & de-soldering kit to be included as well? While I have not looked at this in several years, my recollection is that the cpu, gpu, and RAM are all soldered in.

Seems as likely as Wang making a comeback.

I think we can all agree that this is unlikely. It has been said many times. The obvious being that 98% of PS3 owners are not capable of doing the upgrade themselves. I suppose it is possible that for a fee Sony would do the upgrade for you, but I don't see that being profitable. Bottom line, not happening.

I didn't post this to reiterate what has already been said, but simply to say "Lay off". Everyone who has dropped in on this thread has said the same thing, but found a new way to be a jerk about it. Can we just kill this thread. OP was just posting what he heard, and was asking for our input on it. He was posting something he heard, so we could all thing of new and creative ways to call him a ritard.

I don't think Sony would pull a Sega.

segagenesistowerofpower.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

bread's done
Back