Awesomenauts Official Thread

Backlash

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Since there wasn't one already (and it was partially taking over the PSN deals thread), here we go. Let's talk about strategy, techniques, bitch about teammates and the matchmaking system, etc. Also, add your username if you are up for playing with other CAGs.

Freel free to msg me if yo usee me online and want to play, and I can often bring 2 people because my wife will play local co-op with me (and she's usually Voltar): Backlash27

I'm almost always Lonestar. I was pretty much just taking a speed upgrade and then upgrading my dynamite all the way, because I found that can take down turrets/base super-quick, and if you hit another player with the dynamite it's lights-out.

However, the other day I was playing against another Lonestar who killed me like 7 times and he seemed able to just 2-shot me with his pistol, so I might have to change strategies. I tried being Leon but I just couldn't do shit with him, especially against turrets. Maybe I was just using the wrong upgrades or playing him wrong.

Oh, also, I have dropped into both winning and losing matches before, but my wife and I joined one and our base got killed while we were still dropping down in our rockets! There should be at least some intelligence about not letting anyone join either the winning or losing side if one side is about to win, or aheda by more than one turret, or something.

the lonestar that killed you probably had two upgraded missles when he fired his pistol. it could be pretty deadly.

an upgraded leon with max damage, life steal and fast swipe can take a turret down by himself.

i usually run leon/froggy g or lonestar. not a fan of clunk. its always nice to have a voltar on a team. yuri can be annoying if played properly but thats extremely rare.

Haha well I'm glad somebody decided to create this thread that I was too lazy to.

I pretty much exclusively use Froggy G. I might switch it up to Voltar or Leon and MAYBE even Lonestar, but I hate Yuri and Clunk is just alright IMO. Froggy G's little tornado attack with the damage absorbing shield, attack upgraded all the way, and it's duration upgraded all the way, absolutely DOMINATES the turrets and so does Leon like 8bitArtist mentioned.

I'll share this here too since it's the more appropriate place than the PSN thread. Rumored New Character Sprites:
rumoredawesomenautssprites.png

[quote name='Backlash']

Oh, also, I have dropped into both winning and losing matches before, but my wife and I joined one and our base got killed while we were still dropping down in our rockets! There should be at least some intelligence about not letting anyone join either the winning or losing side if one side is about to win, or aheda by more than one turret, or something.[/QUOTE]
This is one of the biggest problems I have with the game. The game itself is awesome, but it needs way better matchmaking. I queued into a game last night with people who can't play (and I mean were horribly unskilled and of a higher level than me) and we got stomped hard. So my choices were to start a new game with these guys who just stomped us (which would not of ended well) or go into another game in progress, hoping that I don't get just as bad people.

any team based game is going to have people complain that their team sucks. its 100% guaranteed. even if you got matched up with people around the same level as you, that doesnt make automatically make them your skill level

Yeah. I've mostly had good games and just stayed with the same people. Sometimes I don't, and after the game I just go back to Main Menu and then find a new match.

My only real complaint is dropping into a match where one side is way ahead (either on the losing team or winning team).

I also wish there was some penalty for disconnecting, since some people do it way too soon or too frequently. When dominating a match we've sometimes ended up playing aginst 3 bots online!

[quote name='Backlash']Yeah. I've mostly had good games and just stayed with the same people. Sometimes I don't, and after the game I just go back to Main Menu and then find a new match.

My only real complaint is dropping into a match where one side is way ahead (either on the losing team or winning team).

I also wish there was some penalty for disconnecting, since some people do it way too soon or too frequently. When dominating a match we've sometimes ended up playing aginst 3 bots online![/QUOTE]There is a penalty I believe. You don't get any points towards increasing your level the next game you play.

[quote name='Backlash']I also wish there was some penalty for disconnecting, since some people do it way too soon or too frequently. When dominating a match we've sometimes ended up playing aginst 3 bots online![/QUOTE]

You get less experience the next round for quitting a match.

This is my new favorite game on PSN by far. Used to play LoL a ton but stopped a couple months back, really enjoying this take on the system.

Just played a Lonestar game and tried going full-out on the Dynamite.. holy crap. 10 minutes into the game, can nearly one-hit everybody (except Clunk I'd imagine). Add the 25% lifesteal onto that, and you fully heal yourself every time you use Dynamite.

Oh, cool. Glad to hear there is a penalty. I've never disconnected on purpose, myself. I have gotten a network error a couple of times. I guess that explains why my experience was so low afterward - I always thought it was because I lost the next match or something.

I haven't really played any of it yet after hearing some of these matchmaking horror stories. If someone wants to play with a total noob, please add me!

This game really annoyed me at first, but it kinda grew on me. One of my main complaints is, no matter how good you are, it all falls on your teammates because if they have 0 kills and 15 deaths, all your opponents get extra money thus more upgrades and higher level than you. And a Leon can kill you in 2 hits before you can react.

I realize everyone just makes an upgrade build to take down turrets. So to counter act this and why the game grew on me, I make a build to slaughter the opposing Awesomenauts. Because if 3 non-bots actually team up correctly, they can take down 2 turrets and the base in under 2-3 minutes or faster. When your team is 2 bots it really sucks because they kill 4 turrets before the base.

Some tips:
-I like to use Leon's tongue to pull Awesomenauts up to my turret. It disorients them while helping you kill them.
-Go for the Voltar kill. If you don't kill Voltar they'll overrun your turrets in mere moments.
-Don't overlook Lonestar's bull. I like to use the bull to send mini-bots/flying-bots flying away from turrets to give you more time to down the bots/Awesomenauts. Or better yet, get behind the enemy then sick the bull on them to knock them straight into your turret helping to kill them. Or use it to defend your Voltar.
-The Frog's dash is really nice if you upgrade the stun. It utterly destroys Yuri and Voltar.
-Leon's chameleon is a great way to escape or start a sneak attack on unsuspecting Awesomenauts.
-I mostly see Clunk's go for suicide detonate. If you look at the Bite upgrades, you can upgrade the heal per bite, and make it hit multiple enemies or even stun. If I see 2 or 3 mini-bots coming, I just bite them and bam, heal 35 per mini-bot, giving me 70 or 105 HP healed. The recharge is fast it will keep you alive really long. Or just bite Awesomenauts stunning them and healing you.
-Play as Voltar when you have competent team mates. There is no stopping your team if you can stay alive and heal your team as they down turrents/base. Now I say competent because Yuri usually flying up too high and other people just run away from healing. Don't forget you can heal bots too.
-Press the button to release 3 flying robots on a certain level, I forget which. It has a marker on mini map.
-I use Random select. Because after every battle you get a bonus 1000 points for it. Helps when you don't get that 5000 points for winning.

How do you guys play Yuri? It's the one character I utterly suck at.

Is the 150g instant perk or G over time perk better?

How do you release that one big bazooka bot? That thing really hurts and I could never find out how to release it as a team mate.

As I leveled up, I unlocked new perks that did the same thing, do they stack or is it just an upgrade? For example: Yuri starts with "Resonance Amplifier" which increases the max damage per hit of laser. But later levels unlocks "Hubble Lens" with the exact same description. The loadout can only hold 3, so just use hubble lens, or use both if they stack? Other characters get similar ones like Frog's fish shot speed.

[quote name='Kazaganthi']How do you guys play Yuri? It's the one character I utterly suck at.

Is the 150g instant perk or G over time perk better?

How do you release that one big bazooka bot? That thing really hurts and I could never find out how to release it as a team mate.

As I leveled up, I unlocked new perks that did the same thing, do they stack or is it just an upgrade? For example: Yuri starts with "Resonance Amplifier" which increases the max damage per hit of laser. But later levels unlocks "Hubble Lens" with the exact same description. The loadout can only hold 3, so just use hubble lens, or use both if they stack? Other characters get similar ones like Frog's fish shot speed.[/QUOTE]I hate playing as Yuri, especially if there's a Leon on the other team and they're somewhat decent, I always end up getting raped. I usually go with the 150g instant perk, it's all a matter of opinion really. I'm pretty sure you get one of those bazooka bots for every enemy turret you destroy. And yes, those perks do stack and you would have to have both in your loadout.

I play as Leon, Voltar, and Lonestar the most. I will occasionally play as Clunk and I rarely play as Froggy D or Yuri.

My PSN ID is PureApathy. Feel free to add me if you want to play sometime.

yuri is either going to be straight defense with planting mines everywhere, or if you upgrade the length of your laser, you can hit the turret w/o the turret shooting at you. his time warp can also slowly heal turrets/the base core. leon will destroy him though because his sword swipe disables your rocket, so you essentially cant jump.

rocket launchers guy come out when you kill a turret.

if 2 perks have the same description, they stack. a lonestar that shoots out 2 homing missiles is deadly.

is Yuri supposed to be able to lay mines right by a turret without getting hit by it? there are plenty of maps where he can go right by a turret and fly up into this little corner and continue laying mines and the turret is gone within 10 seconds.

[quote name='Namerson']is Yuri supposed to be able to lay mines right by a turret without getting hit by it? there are plenty of maps where he can go right by a turret and fly up into this little corner and continue laying mines and the turret is gone within 10 seconds.[/QUOTE]

More info on this would be awesome. I'm gonna try for the win a game with two local players on my own so this would be an awesome strategy.

[quote name='PimpLimp']There is a penalty I believe. You don't get any points towards increasing your level the next game you play.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Gamien']You get less experience the next round for quitting a match.
[/QUOTE]you guys sure? I'm not sure there is a penalty.. not that i quit.. but what I have noticed is that you don't gain any solar for matches. Plus it counts as a loss. I have seen a "You get less solar this round" when I leave my bot games and join real games thru the prompt.

[quote name='Namerson']is Yuri supposed to be able to lay mines right by a turret without getting hit by it? there are plenty of maps where he can go right by a turret and fly up into this little corner and continue laying mines and the turret is gone within 10 seconds.[/QUOTE]There's an official thread about this in the forum.. basically yes. The counters are things you all know.. Leon clones, the bull, heavy health clunks yada yada. I think it's a bit overpowered but the fact that he's so dead slow should be the balance. There is a spot in one of the levels (apparently more than one) where you can hit the turrent with our laser and not be hit back.. that's why the laser only does one damage to turrets.

I'm working on my other loadouts but I do enjoy the Leon boom sticks right now. I triple them, bounce em and sticky em. It means I can just lay them out like tacks all over the map. I saw in the official forums someone complaining that the sticks just stay around and unbalance the game but in my experience they DO explore after some time... much to my frustration.. I have to check this out a bit more to be sure.

Out side of the sticks, I ignore the bull entirely and I play with my gun. I was doing two boom shots and a radial damage. but I'm switching to + damage, radial damage, and faster shot. I completely ignore the bull unless I actually max out my levels.

Yeah, Lonestar's 3 dynamites with bounce also allows you to hit turrets without getting hit, since you can jump up and throw them pretty far.

Personally, I usually take the +150 solar perk and not the regenerate over time perk so that I can get both the speed up and one weapon perk right at the start. I find that whoever does well at the beginning has a huge advantage (not always, but usually), because you get more solar faster, allowing for better perks, and it just snowballs.

I've also noticed that anytime 3 humans all attack the same turret at the same time and one is a Voltar, then unless all three players on the other team attack together, you are dead. One or two players can't protect a turret against 3 players teaming up, even with the turret shooting. :(

yuri cant take a turret down in 10 seconds. when you hear that your turret is getting attacked, go to the turret! a leon will annihilate a yuri. also, it isnt just 1 stage where yuri can hit a turret without a turret firing back, its every stage.

anytime i play against a voltar, i ignore everyone else and go directly for him. he will flee and then it will leave the others open for the kill.

for lonestar, i upgrade the dynamite all the way but i do get at least the ability to throw a bull because 1) it will get people off your turret quickly and 2) you can push them back from defending their turret and you can all bunch up and take it down fairly quickly.

Here's a Yuri build I am toying with atm. It's definitely my favorite compared to other builds which usually involve mines or time bubble as its focus. I also posted this on the Ronimo games forum, but haven't had any response to it so far. However, a quick browse on the gamefaqs forum, and someone I played against complained about this build.

Here's what I do when I play Yuri and so far has proven to be a very decent trap/slow character. It pretty much counters Voltair (cannot move once laser is upgraded) and gives other Yuri's trouble. It's really good when you're paired with a pure damage character like Lonestar or Clunk. It makes fellow Leons' and Froggy Gs' jobs that much easier.

Character: Yuri

Tier 1 (Mines): Titanium Spikes (+Damage 1/3), Toaster timer (+Longevity), and Uranium Spikes (+Damage)
Tier 2 (Time Bubble): Chrono Rift (+Slow), Spacetime continuity device (+longetivity and -cooldown 1/2), and Flash Forward (+speed/attack)
Tier 3 (Laser): Giant monocle (+range), Tractor Beam (Pull effect), and Baby Yeti (Slow effect)
Tier 4 (Misc): Power Pills (+Health 1/3), Space Air max (+movement speed), Power Pills Turbo (+Health)

Build Order:
1. Giant Monocle - Laser is your main source of income, damage, and health regen. Why not increase effectiveness and make you even more annoying. I use laser strictly for poking and picking up gold. Killing is not the main objective in this build. Use the laser to safely space out the opponents while safe behind allies/turrets. This is definitely the best ranged attack in the game once upgraded.

2. Tractor Beam/ Baby Yeti - Since Yuri cannot do much damage or pushing, you want others to do the job for you. A team kill nets team solar and turret or bot kills drops solar which you can just pick up with your laser. Again, once upgraded, Voltair and other Yuri's cannot fly/jump away.

MOST IMPORTANT POINT: Pulse the laser for half to a full second on opponents. Like the description says the pull/slow effects diminish over time.

3. Power Pills/Turbo - Because you're pulling and slowing things down, you want to increase your durability. And also for those times when you decide to overextend and are getting ganked. Trying to not give the other teams kills is one of your topmost priorities with this build. I feel that Solar tree and Piggy bank are a waste of two slots, especially end game. Yuri gains enough solar from using his default laser.

4. Space Air Max (boots) - This augments your escape ability and pursuing ability. You're not going to be in the fray too often to need these that badly early on in the game.

From here it's a little more open ended and you can choose what you want to upgrade.

5. Space Time Continuity
6. Flash Forward
7. Chrono Rift

Use the Time bubble skill to cut off people, escape, or pursue. Especially effective against Leon and Froggy G.

8. Titanium Spikes/Uranium Spikes
9. Toaster Timer

I feel mines are most useful in this build toward endgame. When you no longer have turrets/allies to hide behind you can set mines down and hide behind (on) those.

For this build, I highly suggest sticking around a pure damage ally. If not possible, you'll have to do with turrets and droids. Early game, you want to focus on killing creeps, annoying enemies (not killing them), and collecting solar. Make sure to collect the solar that drops from the opposing team's turret/droid kills. Early-Mid to end game, you should start to help allies kill others with your pull/slow laser.

Again extremely effective paired with pure damage oriented characters. If paired with another stun/slow character like Froggy G or Leon, the game is no longer fun for the other team as they are rendered unable to move.

Phew.
I'd definitely be down to join up with other cags. I keep getting thrown into random losing games and really should find a party to play with. I mainly play Yuri, but second Clunk.

What's up man. I definitely remember your dynamite throwing Lonestar. I think I was playing Clunk exclusively at the time.

I'd be down to play some more. Rather I'm in need of people to play with. Playing with randoms is downright depressing.

I'm down to play with you guys whenever I'm on (mostly nights between 8 and 10 pm Central). I mostly play Lonestar still, though I'm ok with Clunk and I feel like I need to try to learn Leon. So my Lonestar could work well with that Yuri build.

i just prestiged for the 4th time, so im not gonna do it anymore till the dlc comes out. hate doing that, losing all the upgrades, then running into a team of 3 humans and getting slaughtered.

ill either run lonestar, froggy g or leon depending on who is picked on my team.

Good games Eight bit. Was trying out different builds with Yuri so sorry if I contributed to our couple of losses. I definitely can't wait for the patch when Yuri is supposedly buffed.

i honestly dont think yuri needs to be buffed, he is just a little tricky to play but ive run into a couple good ones. mines can be a very huge pain in the ass and his laser can hit the turrets without it firing back.

Yuri honestly gets raped by Leon. Main reason being that normal slashes knock him out of the air. I'd have to devote points into bubble and mines just to survive an attempted gank. Laser does horrible damage against turrets as well. All I've found him good for is just support and harassment. His damage output isn't that great either.

Mines are probably Yuri's best option, but they get countered hard by Leon tongue, Froggy splash, and Lonestar bull. Plus it's a little too defensive for my tastes.

Time bubble is definitely going to be buffed. And leon is going to get nerfed. So I'm definitely looking forward to the patch.

is leon the only one that can hit yuri and make him land?

leon is slightly OP. full damage, plus full fast swipe, plus life steal and he is pretty much a 1 man wrecking machine. put on top of that cloaking that moves and attacks and you really have no idea what to attack.

plus if you dont do life swipe and do the swipe that slows you instead, you can pretty much take anyone out because they just cant move or get away.

yuris laser doesnt do a lot of damage, but it has tremendous range, so i think its a decent balance between the two.

Leon's base attack knocks Yuri out of the air, no need for upgrade. Special moves knock Yuri out of the air i.e. slow attacks.

Yuri's laser is my favorite part about him, but it does horrible damage (it's either slow/pull or damage, can't have both). You'll notice if you play with me I can't kill anyone by myself, unless it's Voltair or another Yuri. Mines are definitely the thing to focus on when playing as Yuri, but I try my best to stray away from that norm.

[quote name='option.iv']Leon's base attack knocks Yuri out of the air, no need for upgrade. Special moves knock Yuri out of the air i.e. slow attacks.

Yuri's laser is my favorite part about him, but it does horrible damage (it's either slow/pull or damage, can't have both). You'll notice if you play with me I can't kill anyone by myself, unless it's Voltair or another Yuri. Mines are definitely the thing to focus on when playing as Yuri, but I try my best to stray away from that norm.[/QUOTE]

Yuri always needs some of this to get the haters hating.
Awesomenauts-Sheriff-Lonestar-Trailer.jpg

mines are good when being chased, which will be the norm for yuri. haha.

plus its good defense to litter the front of your turret/base with mines since im not sure if they explode unless you hit them. i remember throwing lonestar dynamite at them and it didnt do anything.

Anyone still playing awesomenauts? i just recently got into it, very fun. Looking to play with some people, tired of the random games i get into. PSN janizzzle

I reached max level in this almost a month ago and I have to say that the game was more enjoyable than I expected it to be. It was frustrating at times, but overall it was a great experience. It'd be cool if they released a sequel sometime in the future.

bread's done
Back