Verizon to kill off unlimited data plans for existing customers

chatgirl4

Banned
Verizon Wireless subscribers who have held onto their $30-a-month unlimited data plans will soon be forced to upgrade to a new tiered offering the company plans to launch this summer, according to the Web site Fierce Wireless.

Speaking at the J.P Morgan Technology Media and Telecom conference today, Verizon Communications CFO Fran Shammo told investors that the company's 3G unlimited data plans that customers were allowed to hang onto last year when Verizon switched to a tiered offering will soon go away entirely. Instead, the company will migrate its existing and new 4G LTE customers to a new "data share plan."

The company has yet to announce the details of this new plan, but it has said previously that the data share plan will be introduced in midsummer. The plan will allow people on the same family plan to share buckets of data each month, much like they share voice minutes and text messaging. It will also allow individuals to share data across different 4G LTE devices.
Verizon eliminated its unlimited data plan for smartphone users last July, about a year after AT&T had done the same thing. Like AT&T had done previously, Verizon told its existing unlimited data plan customers that they could keep their unlimited data plans even after their contracts expired. And Verizon has allowed its 3G wireless subscribers to upgrade to 4G LTE devices, while keeping their unlimited data plans.

But the company was always careful to say that it could change this policy in the future. And now it looks like that day has finally come. The way it will likely work is that as 3G unlimited contracts expire, Verizon will push subscribers to upgrade their devices to smartphones on company's 4G LTE network. These customers will then have to sign up for the data share plans.

"Everyone will be on data share," Shammo said, according to Fierce Wireless. "When they migrate off 3G they will have to go to data share. That is beneficial to us."
Verizon hasn't yet announced pricing details of the new share plans. Shammo said that he believes this new plan will make it easier for families and small businesses to connect multiple devices, Fierce reported. This new plan is meant to encourage people to buy multiple connected devices and to use them on the 4G LTE network, without signing up for an additional data plan.

As this change happens and people connect additional devices to their accounts, Shammo said that the industry will have to change how they account for the revenue. Instead of looking at average revenue per user, he said that the industry should look at average revenue per account.

News of the end of the unlimited data plan is sure to upset some consumers who have held onto their existing accounts specifically for the unlimited benefit.
AT&T also offers this benefit to longtime smartphone customers. But the company has struggled to keep up with the demands of some of these users. In an effort to ensure that "grandfathered" unlimited users don't hog the network, the company began slowing down a proportion of these heavy users. The move outraged many customers. One man sued AT&T in small-claims court and won. AT&T has since changed its policy and now only slows down or throttles users if they exceed 3GB of data per month.

Meanwhile, T-Mobile USA and Sprint Nextel still offer unlimited data plans. T-Mobile also slows down users if they consume too much data each month. But Sprint claims that it is the only major wireless carrier in the U.S. to still offer unfettered unlimited data. Some people question how long the carrier will be able to offer such a plan given the steep rise in data usage.

A Verizon spokeswoman declined to comment on the news.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57435601-94/verizon-to-kill-unlimited-data-plans-for-existing-subscribers/?tag=mncol

Beneficial to them indeed, especially if you have 2 or more smartphone users in the household, plus the newest iPad as well. :roll: My contract runs out in december, which is when I will no doubly switch to a local provider.

If you're still under contract with one of these plans on Verizon, this is a material breach of contract terms and can get you out of your contract without an ETF.

I'm still under contract. It says that you can't carry unlimited to 4G. Am I being forced to upgrade to 4G? I'll hang onto 3G w/ unlimited data as long as I can.

If you're still under contract with one of these plans on Verizon, this is a material breach of contract terms and can get you out of your contract without an ETF.

If I'm on a family plan, could my parents get out as well or just me?

I didn't have any unlimited option when I finally got an iPhone last fall, so moot for me.

Moot anyway as I think the most data I've ever used in a month is 350mb or so. Pretty much always around wifi so I just don't use the 3G all that often other than when traveling or at my parents who don't have broadband available etc.

In any case, sucks for those who have the unlimited plan and need it.

Wow, I'm one of those people that still have Unlimited 3G Data with Verizon and it sucks to hear this. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Wow...this news blows for people that stuck with Verizon because of it. I bet they're still not going to allow tethering either when they cap the data.

Good thing I'm still on a 6 year old $6 per month unlimited data plan. Go me!

They already really don't allow tethering. You have to pay $20 a month extra to use your phone as a wifi hotspot--and you don't get any extra data allowance for that money.

[quote name='dmaul1114']They already really don't allow tethering. You have to pay $20 a month extra to use your phone as a wifi hotspot--and you don't get any extra data allowance for that money.[/QUOTE]
Right...I just meant that in reference to switching over customers from unlimited as a token gesture since it doesn't really cost them anything even if it was for a limited time.

Paying $20 to tether 2gb seems awfully scammy to me. Not as bad as unlimited texting bundles, but still bad.

[quote name='Scorch']I'm still under contract. It says that you can't carry unlimited to 4G. Am I being forced to upgrade to 4G? I'll hang onto 3G w/ unlimited data as long as I can.

If I'm on a family plan, could my parents get out as well or just me?[/QUOTE]You're not being forced to upgrade to 4G per-se, though the number of non-LTE devices in Verizon's lineup is shrinking. If you go from your existing device to a LTE device, you won't be able to retain the unlimited data on your current plan when you renew for 2 more years.

I'm sure Verizon also has it worked out in their system that if you bought a used LTE device and tried to activate off-contract, the same thing would happen.

I think that if you're the primary on the family plan, everyone would be able to leave ETF-free, though if you're not, it would probably be just your line of service.

[quote name='dohdough']Wow...this news blows for people that stuck with Verizon because of it. I bet they're still not going to allow tethering either when they cap the data.

Good thing I'm still on a 6 year old $6 per month unlimited data plan. Go me![/QUOTE]They'll get to you sooner or later with that cheap data plan.

[quote name='dmaul1114']They already really don't allow tethering. You have to pay $20 a month extra to use your phone as a wifi hotspot--and you don't get any extra data allowance for that money.[/QUOTE]
Heh, I don't with my Nexus....

Anyway, Verizon can suck it after this. The only, only reason I stayed with them was because I had the grandfathered unlimited plan. Now from the wording there I'm guessing they aren't going to try and force those still under contract onto this tiered plan. My contract lasts until some time in 2013, so if they try that before then I'll be canceling, and I won't be paying an early termination bullshit either.

[quote name='dohdough']
Paying $20 to tether 2gb seems awfully scammy to me. Not as bad as unlimited texting bundles, but still bad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it sucks.

And I don't think they have unlimited texting any more either. At least not for iPhone. I upped from 200 (or 250?) messages for $5 a few months back as I was going to go over, and the only option I had was for 1,000 for $10.

Should have just went over that month as it was just a chick I was dating briefly that was texting me a ton, and that didn't work out so I haven't come close to 250 messages since and it won't let me drop back down for a year now I think.

[quote name='Clak']
Anyway, Verizon can suck it after this. The only, only reason I stayed with them was because I had the grandfathered unlimited plan. [/QUOTE]

I can't see myself switching away from Verizon since it's what 95% of my friends and family are on, so I really benefit from the unlimited in network calling.

Coverage is also great for me, I don't think I've ever had a time where I didn't have reception and someone I was with who was on another carrier did. While I have had the opposite happen several times.

Besides, do any of the major carriers have unlimited data anymore? Particularly for the iPhone?

[quote name='dohdough']
Paying $20 to tether 2gb seems awfully scammy to me. Not as bad as unlimited texting bundles, but still bad.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it sucks.

And I don't think they have unlimited texting any more either. At least not for iPhone. I upped from 200 (or 250?) messages for $5 a few months back as I was going to go over, and the only option I had was for 1,000 for $10.

Should have just went over that month as it was just a chick I was dating briefly that was texting me a ton, and that didn't work out so I haven't come close to 250 messages since and it won't let me drop back down for a year now I think.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, it sucks.

I can't see myself switching away from Verizon since it's what 95% of my friends and family are on, so I really benefit from the unlimited in network calling.

Coverage is also great for me, I don't think I've ever had a time where I didn't have reception and someone I was with who was on another carrier did. While I have had the opposite happen several times.

Besides, do any of the major carriers have unlimited data anymore? Particularly for the iPhone?[/QUOTE]Sprint, they also have unlimited mobile to mobile calling.

Sprint is the last hold-out with no cap and Tmobile throttles after 5-10gb depending on your plan, but they don't have the iphone yet and any new contracts would still see a throttle.

I find that Sprint is actually good if you're going to be in a city, but gets spotty as hell the further out you go.

Sometimes I think I'm the only Verizon customer who doesn't think their reception is all that great. Just looked at my phone and I only have 2 bars signal, and checking the actual signal in the system properties I'm getting -112 dBm. Not good. Wish I could complain to Verizon and get one of those femtocell things they sell, but I'm not paying for one.

[quote name='dohdough']Sprint is the last hold-out with no cap and Tmobile throttles after 5-10gb depending on your plan, but they don't have the iphone yet and any new contracts would still see a throttle.

I find that Sprint is actually good if you're going to be in a city, but gets spotty as hell the further out you go.[/QUOTE]

Sprint definitely has the iPhone. My sisters both have one. And yeah, the service is pretty spotty is come places. I can't get a signal at all at home. It kind of sucks, but I don't mind as nobody can bother me then. :)

[quote name='dohdough']Sprint is the last hold-out with no cap and Tmobile throttles after 5-10gb depending on your plan, but they don't have the iphone yet and any new contracts would still see a throttle.

I find that Sprint is actually good if you're going to be in a city, but gets spotty as hell the further out you go.[/QUOTE]For the moment, Sprint's the holdout, though that may change with the rumored iPhone 5 and LTE.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Sprint definitely has the iPhone. My sisters both have one. And yeah, the service is pretty spotty is come places. I can't get a signal at all at home. It kind of sucks, but I don't mind as nobody can bother me then. :)[/QUOTE]

He was saying T-Mobile doesn't have the iphone.

[quote name='shrike4242']For the moment, Sprint's the holdout, though that may change with the rumored iPhone 5 and LTE.[/QUOTE]
True and their plans are Very competitive right now. It wouldn't surprise me if they went tiered, but I'd be surprised if they went with a $10 a gb price model.

The sad thing is these customers will go from unlimited to only 2GB. I have the $15 for 150MB plan still, and just got charged another $15 because I went past it for the first time in 18 months. I imagine they'll force me to go to 2GB soon enough.

My last data plan on my blackberry, I hardly used much of my data.
Then I was forced to unlimited plan when I re-upped with a Droid X2
Now they want me to go back to the original plan?

WHAT THE fuck VERIZON? Make up your mind.

I don't feel so bad for leaving Verizon for Sprint anymore last year. Reception definitely trails off much quicker but the monthly bill is cheaper and I had a Galaxy 2 months before I would have on Verizon.It's just beyond counter intuitive to me that they offer higher speed but less bandwidth nowadays... we're all taking it in the ass on this collusion and no one seems to care.

Well Well Well, seems like Verizon Wireless is not done yet, as the big red is raising the prices of not only it's FIOS Internet & TV service, but wireless plans as well :hot: Oh yeah, and then the pesky $30 upgrade fee to a new smartphone, should you decide to upgrade :roll:

Verizon: making AT&T seem less evil

[quote name='QiG']I don't feel so bad for leaving Verizon for Sprint anymore last year. Reception definitely trails off much quicker but the monthly bill is cheaper and I had a Galaxy 2 months before I would have on Verizon.It's just beyond counter intuitive to me that they offer higher speed but less bandwidth nowadays... we're all taking it in the ass on this collusion and no one seems to care.[/QUOTE]

"Dude...look how fast my phone can load this movie!!!"

*10 seconds later*

BANDWIDTH LIMIT EXCEEDED

lol, couldn't be more true. Honestly, if I could get a decent phone nowadays that wasn't a smartphone, I'd seriously consider dropping my data plan...and I'm actually on Sprint. I just feel like the industry is moving backward. I even like the idea of shared family data...but you know they wouldn't do it if it wasn't cutting costs for them and tightening the screws for us.

Yes, it's nice having internet on my phone...but with more and more places offering free wifi, it starts to feel unnecessary (especially if you own a tablet). But then again, you can't get a phone that has wifi without a required data plan...or a phone with more than a 1.3 megapixel camera...and even that camera is crappier than it was 10 years ago because they stopped putting flashes on non-smartphones. Sometimes I actually miss the simplicity and functionality of my old LG VX8000
VX8000.jpg

[quote name='n8rockerasu']"Dude...look how fast my phone can load this movie!!!"

*10 seconds later*

BANDWIDTH LIMIT EXCEEDED

lol, couldn't be more true. Honestly, if I could get a decent phone nowadays that wasn't a smartphone, I'd seriously consider dropping my data plan...and I'm actually on Sprint. I just feel like the industry is moving backward. I even like the idea of shared family data...but you know they wouldn't do it if it wasn't cutting costs for them and tightening the screws for us.

Yes, it's nice having internet on my phone...but with more and more places offering free wifi, it starts to feel unnecessary (especially if you own a tablet). But then again, you can't get a phone that has wifi without a required data plan...or a phone with more than a 1.3 megapixel camera...and even that camera is crappier than it was 10 years ago because they stopped putting flashes on non-smartphones. Sometimes I actually miss the simplicity and functionality of my old LG VX8000
VX8000.jpg
[/QUOTE]
People can always opt to get a pre-paid voice plan and buy a phone they like at full retail, but the US market is too spoiled by subsidized phones. That's one of the benefits of gsm because US gsm providers don't lock out phones for the most part, whereas cdma providers do. Hell, I haven't bought a subsidized phone in over 13 years.

I am at work all day and on Wi-Fi at home and still manage over 200MB each month. I have no idea where the data is getting pulled from.

I can't imagine a 150MB limit is feasible at all which is why they probably made that the minimum plan.

http://news.yahoo.com/verizon-sees-revenue-increase-shared-plans-190235445--finance.html

I kinda get the feeling they didn't want customers reading that. Lines like this especially:

Shammo said he also expects the new offering to encourage customers to connect more of their devices to its network. As a result, he expects them to have to sign up for higher-tier data services that come with higher fees.
"We're fairly confident we'll start to see people uptick in the tiers, which is where we'll see the revenue accretion." Shammo said in a webcast of an investor conference.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']
VX8000.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'm much the same. Held off on a smartphone until last fall as I hate paying for data since I have wifi at home, at work and most bars/restaurants/cafes around the city.

I love having internet/e-mail everywhere I go, and my iPad isn't great for that as I'm not going to lug it around when out and about. But $30 a month is a steep price to pay for that convenience. But I've gotten kind of hooked on having it now, so I'll stick with it. $30 isn't a big deal to me, just doesn't seem like much value when I usually only use 150-300mb of data a month.

I also had that same LG phone a few years back. Had the LG Voyager as my last "dumb" phone before getting the iPhone 4s last fall. I wouldn't say I miss them though. I love having my music (and easy to load/use unlike on my old phones), games, internet/e-mail, e-book apps etc. always in my pocket. I'd never carry around a phone and an iPod touch or tablet when out and about, so a smart phone is great for me on that front even if the data cost is annoying.

[quote name='pacifickarma']What about those of us who already have unlimited 4G plans?[/QUOTE]

That is a good question.

[quote name='benjamouth']I wonder what the chances are of AT&T following suit.[/QUOTE]Pretty much guaranteed, since Verizon and AT&T do tend to mimic one another.

[quote name='shrike4242']Pretty much guaranteed, since Verizon and AT&T do tend to mimic one another.[/QUOTE]
Yup. It's inevitable.

I haven't seen any information yet regarding those users with unlimited data and 4g lte (say a thunderbolt, charge or revolution phone). I also don't think plans will be changing during the contract.
My reading- this is a way to get people off 3g unlimited as they cycle to their next phone, and prevents any iphone 4g unlimited.
If they are tiering all data plans, it is especially insulting that tethering is a "fee" -at least an app like Easy Tether is available

I'm on VZW out of contract on unlimited 3G data using a DroidX. Been mulling over a switch to Sprint just to save a few bucks since Sprint works well everywhere I go. Might be time. The EVO-LTE sure looks nice even though I know we won't have Sprint LTE coverage in my area for quite a while. 3G has been fine for pretty much everything I do anyways.

[quote name='vherub']I haven't seen any information yet regarding those users with unlimited data and 4g lte (say a thunderbolt, charge or revolution phone). I also don't think plans will be changing during the contract.
My reading- this is a way to get people off 3g unlimited as they cycle to their next phone, and prevents any iphone 4g unlimited.
If they are tiering all data plans, it is especially insulting that tethering is a "fee" -at least an app like Easy Tether is available[/QUOTE]From what I've read, it looks like this'll happen when you change devices and in theory, it shouldn't change while you're in or out of contract if you continue with your current EVDO/3G device. Going up to a LTE/4G device is where this change seems to happen. I think if you still have unlimited on a LTE/4G device, they'll probably change it out from under you when you're out of contract and do nothing while you're under contract.

Regardless, it's a material breach of contract and something you can use to end your contract.

[quote name='TC']I'm on VZW out of contract on unlimited 3G data using a DroidX. Been mulling over a switch to Sprint just to save a few bucks since Sprint works well everywhere I go. Might be time. The EVO-LTE sure looks nice even though I know we won't have Sprint LTE coverage in my area for quite a while. 3G has been fine for pretty much everything I do anyways.[/QUOTE]The EVO 4G LTE is stuck in customs hell at the moment due to an ITC injunction against HTC from Apple.

Supposed to be resolved by next week, though that's just the current story.

Verizon just changed their tone....You get one or the other now, not both :roll:

Verizon Wireless now says that existing customers can keep their unlimited data plans. They just won't be able to get a new subsidized smartphone and still keep the unlimited data plan.

On Wednesday, Verizon Communications chief financial officer Fran Shammo told investors during an interview at a JP Morgan conference that the company plans to force many of its existing unlimited data customers to a tiered offering. Verizon Wireless got rid of its unlimited data plan for new subscribers last July. But the company allowed existing smartphones users to keep their $30 a month unlimited data even when they upgraded to new devices and a new contract.

But Shammo said yesterday that Verizon now plans to get rid of those unlimited plans and transition those customers to a new data-share plan that will be introduced later this summer.
"When you think about our 3G base, a lot of our 3G base is unlimited," he said according to a transcript. "As they start to migrate into 4G, they will have to come off of unlimited and go into the data share plan. And that is beneficial for us for many reasons, obviously. So as you pick what tier you want to be and we think that there will be some price up in those tiers."

Verizon's PR team offered little information about the new data plans. And many existing Verizon customers who were grandfathered into the unlimited data plans were left wondering how the new policy would affect them. On Thursday afternoon, Verizon clarified its position.
Now Verizon says that it will allow customers to keep their existing unlimited data plans if those customers either continue to keep their existing device or they buy a new device at the full retail cost of the smartphone.

In other words, if you renew your contract and purchase a subsidized phone, you lose the option to keep your unlimited plan.
"If a 3G or 4G smartphone customer is on an unlimited plan now and they do not want to change their plan, they will not have to do so," Verizon's spokeswoman wrote to me in an email. "(But) when we introduce our new shared data plans, Unlimited Data will no longer be available to customers when purchasing handsets at discounted pricing, i.e. Signing new contracts."

Verizon also clarified that the same pricing and policies once they're announced this summer will apply to all 3G and 4G LTE smartphones. So this means that regardless of whether customers sign a contract for a 3G device or a 4G LTE smartphone, they will still have to give up the unlimited data plan if they buy a subsidized device. It also means that if you already own a 4G LTE phone and have been using the unlimited data plan, you can keep that phone and the unlimited data plan.

Verizon hasn't yet offered any information on the new data-share plans, which will allow people to share data among different people on the same account, much like they do with shared minutes or text messages. The new plans will also allow customers to attach different devices to the same account and share the data. The hope for Verizon is that people will increase their usage and buy more expensive tiers of service that offer more monthly data usage.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Sometimes I actually miss the simplicity and functionality of my old LG VX8000
VX8000.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Gee there sonny I remember when you could get a decent phone without a data plan

Haha welcome to getting older

[quote name='camoor']Gee there sonny I remember when you could get a decent phone without a data plan

Haha welcome to getting older[/QUOTE]

Doesn't stop it from being true. Try finding a phone with a decent camera (by today's standards) with a flash that's not a smartphone. There even used to be a few phones that had wifi that didnt require data. They started taking features out of these phones to force people into more expensivve plans. Its getting as bad as cable TV. You've got your basic plan, your data charge, your "premium" data charge, texting, etc, etc. How obvious do you want it to get that they're nickel and diming people? How much are you willing to pay to tell people on Facebook what you're eating while at the restaurant? Or to watch a movie on Netflix while sitting in the waiting room at the dentist? At some point it becomes a little trivial. I'm not saying it isn't nice, but it might reach a point where it's not worth it if carriers keep trying to squeeze every penny they can get.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Doesn't stop it from being true. Try finding a phone with a decent camera (by today's standards) with a flash that's not a smartphone. There even used to be a few phones that had wifi that didnt require data. They started taking features out of these phones to force people into more expensivve plans. Its getting as bad as cable TV. You've got your basic plan, your data charge, your "premium" data charge, texting, etc, etc. How obvious do you want it to get that they're nickel and diming people? How much are you willing to pay to tell people on Facebook what you're eating while at the restaurant? Or to watch a movie on Netflix while sitting in the waiting room at the dentist? At some point it becomes a little trivial. I'm not saying it isn't nice, but it might reach a point where it's not worth it if carriers keep trying to squeeze every penny they can get.[/QUOTE]
This can all be traced back to the US model for mobile service in regards to the subsidizing of handsets. If you bring your own phone or buy it at full price, they can't lock you into premium features that you don't want.

[quote name='dohdough']This can all be traced back to the US model for mobile service in regards to the subsidizing of handsets. If you bring your own phone or buy it at full price, they can't lock you into premium features that you don't want.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...but having a $500 mobile phone is just as wasteful. I suppose going the ebay route and buying "two seasons ago's model" might provide some options, but I haven't looked into it enough to really know. If Sprint does indeed follow suit, I'll probably look at it a little more intently.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah...but having a $500 mobile phone is just as wasteful. I suppose going the ebay route and buying "two seasons ago's model" might provide some options, but I haven't looked into it enough to really know. If Sprint does indeed follow suit, I'll probably look at it a little more intently.[/QUOTE]
The catch is that you're already paying more than $500 for a phone, but it's included in the monthly bill as required services and fees.

Something that the more savvy do is get they best phone they can that doesn't require a data plan on contract and sell the phone to subsidize the phone they really want. This is obviously easier with gsm phones because of sim cards and you don't need to get the provider to active the handset. This is one reason why Verizon and Sprint doesn't want to go the way of the sim so they can control the phones on their network in totality to eek out that last bit of profit by closing the environment. It's a lot like what you were saying before about nickel and dime-ing.

Well, Verizon unveiled the plans, and ooh boy:

Verizon Wireless finally unveiled its "Share Everything" family plan for data, phone calls, and text messages, potentially shaking up how consumers pay for wireless services.
The plans allow for unlimited phone calls and text messages, and a bucket of data that can be shared by as many as 10 Verizon Wireless devices. The plans, which launch June 28, range between $50 and $100, in addition to separate monthly access charges for each device. Individuals or groups of people can sign up for these plans.

Separately, June 28 also marks the end of unlimited data for many Verizon customers looking for a new phone.

The concept of the family data plan, in which multiple users or devices draw from a common pool of data, has long been bandied about as the potential catalyst for selling more connected devices. Verizon expects that down the line, consumers will want to connect other products, from cameras to refrigerators, to the cellular network.
The industry is hoping that the notion of a shared data plan will specifically spark sales of tablets, which haven't fared well outside of Apple's iPad. Verizon hopes customers will be more willing to use a cellular-connected tablet if they can draw from a common pool of data, rather than a separate plan and bill.

"These plans offer the simplicity and value that customers feel are important," Tami Erwin, chief marketing officer of Verizon Wireless, told CNET.

The plans aren't cheap, but offer better value if shared between multiple people. All of the plans come with unlimited calling and text messages. A $50 monthly plan comes with 1 gigabyte of data to be shared between devices. For $60 a month, you get 2GB, while $70 gets 4GB, $80 gets 6GB, $90 gets 8GB, and $100 gets 10GB. There's also a low-end $40 plan for 300 megabytes of data, but that plan can't be shared by other data devices.
Customers who approach their limit get an alert and have the option of paying $10 for 2GB of additional data. Those who ignore the alert and go over the limit are charged $15 for 1GB of extra data.

In addition to the plan, there are fees related to each device. There's a monthly charge of $40 for each smartphone; $30 for each phone; $20 for a hot spot, USB modem, notebook, or netbook; and $10 for a tablet.

While Erwin conceded that some individuals would end up paying more under these new plans, there isn't a requirement to switch. She added that families where some members use fewer data than others could benefit from this plan.
Family members can calculate their data consumption with tools such as the data calculator found on Verizon's Web site, or through the My Verizon app found on smartphones and tablets.

The June 28 launch date marks the potential end of the unlimited data plan for many customers. While Verizon no longer offers unlimited data as an option, millions still have no cap owing to a grandfathered plan. But after June 28, customers who take a subsidy when upgrading to a new phone must forfeit their unlimited plan and switch to a new capped one.
Like AT&T, the company has been eager to move people away from unlimited plans in an effort to rein in heavy data usage.

The shared data plan is a natural evolution of the industry's move away from unlimited data plans. Verizon has been working on the shared data plan concept for the past 18 to 24 months, Erwin said.

"Unlimited data is not something that we think is sustainable in the long run," she said.
Verizon is working with the manufacturers of different electronic and appliance companies to figure out new pricing plans for emerging connected devices. Erwin said the pricing would likely be less than a smartphone or tablet, and may follow a different model such as subscription.

"We believe that the announcement of this pricing will fuel an ecosystem of devices," she said.
Verizon is the first to introduce such a plan. AT&T is similarly working on a family plan for shared data, and AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph de la Vega told CNET that one was close to coming to fruition.
Sprint Nextel, on the other hand, continues to offer fully unlimited data access on its smartphones, while T-Mobile USA has come out against such family plans.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/shareEverythingCalculator.jsp Calculator to show what plan(s) would work best for you

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57450763-94/verizon-unveils-share-everything-family-plans-for-data/?tag=mncol

Damn, ticking off just the minimum usage for 1 smartphone comes up with a recommended $100 2GB Shared Data Unlimited Talk and Text before taxes and fees.

That's crazy.

I like that you can share data plans now though. That could be good for me in the future since I only use 200-300mbs of my 2gb data plan most months. Just don't have anyone to share it with now as the only people on my plan (my mom and an ex who lives abroad and just uses the phone when in the US) don't have smartphones.

That actually doesn't sound too bad. almost close to what my family is paying now except we would lose our unlimited data. Hopefully my mom still gets her employee discount with these plans (she works for USPS).

I've had a 4G unlimited plan since last September and have never managed to go over 1GB.. Taking away unlimited plans won't really effect me, but I can see why some heavy users would be upset. It's really unfortunate that it's the same price as 2GB, though, as I've been thinking of ways to lower my costs and all I can do is go down to 1000 text messages from unlimited and save $10 per month..

bread's done
Back