Why are there barely any good Zelda clones?

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Maybe I'm missing something but why haven't there been many successful "Zelda inspired" games over the years? What are some games that pull off the Zelda formula successfully (overworld, puzzle-filled dungeons, items that grant access to new areas of the map, lots of secrets/mini-games/side quests, etc.)?

Darksiders is actually kind of close but overall the game lacks a considerable amount of polish. The idea is definitely there though.

I might put Arkham Asylum in the Zelda category - it is structured pretty similarly (large overworld, gadget upgrades grant access to new areas) but there isn't much exploration and it is very linear.

I've wondered the same thing myself for the passed 15 years. Especially now that Nintendo doesn't seem to know how to make a good one themselves anymore :(

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I've wondered the same thing myself for the passed 15 years. Especially now that Nintendo doesn't seem to know how to make a good one themselves anymore :([/QUOTE]

That's exactly why I'm asking. :cry:

Could be developers would just much rather make a WRPG ala Borderlands or Fallout 3. They're not terribly dissimilar from what you're describing, except new areas either tend to be unlocked by getting keys or a skillup (to lockpicking, for example).

Also kind of want to throw Assassin's Creed 2 in here. Large overworld, you gain new gadgets that allow you new ways to assassinate people (which I tend to see as a puzzle in itself), lots of stuff to collect and side missions you can complete, although new areas just tend to open up as the story demands it. You do end up learning one skill that allows you to reach new areas.

[quote name='themaster20000']Alundra for the PS1.Best clone of Zelda I've played.[/QUOTE]
Oh shoot...what was that samuari game on the PSOne...Fencer Musashi?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Oh shoot...what was that samuari game on the PSOne...Fencer Musashi?[/QUOTE]

Oh Brave Fencer Musashi totally slipped my mind.One of my favorite PS1 games,and my favorite non rpg from Squaresoft.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Oh shoot...what was that samuari game on the PSOne...Fencer Musashi?[/QUOTE]

Brave Fencer Musashi. Also had a PS2 spiritual sequel - Musashi: Samurai Legend

I played through Fallout New Vegas last year, and I think that may have been what made it so easy for me to turn my back on Skyward Sword. FNV effectively sated my Zelda jones.

So I'm with Salamando on the most recent Fallouts. I don't know if they're a genre match, and they certainly don't match thematically, but Fallout likes to bury a LOT of material that's easy to miss on an honest, thorough playthrough.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Okami.[/QUOTE]

I played Okami on PS2 for like 5 or 6 hours and I just didn't get the Zelda comparisons. Were there dungeons I was missing? New weapons? I can't remember. I'm going to buy the HD version on PS3 when it comes out and try it again. Seems like a game I should love but never fully got into because by the time I had it on PS2 I had a shiny new 360 to play with.

[quote name='Javery']I played Okami on PS2 for like 5 or 6 hours and I just didn't get the Zelda comparisons. Were there dungeons I was missing? New weapons? I can't remember. I'm going to buy the HD version on PS3 when it comes out and try it again. Seems like a game I should love but never fully got into because by the time I had it on PS2 I had a shiny new 360 to play with.[/QUOTE]
Okami had the same formula. You had to accumulate different techniques in order to access other parts of the game. The NPC characters were very Zelda-ish with their requests and mini-quests.

Okami was the best Zelda comparison I have played, even more so than Darksiders, which felt more forced.

I found the first 10-15 hours of Okami to be slow as hell but forced myself through and ended up liking it quite a bit but not loving it. Perhaps I expected too much from Clover after God Hand.

Anyways. The thing is, Zelda is a tough design to clone. There's a ton of content, a world to build, puzzles to develop, etc. The worst part about it is that your best efforts will just be called a Zelda clone and picked apart mercilessly by fans.

However if you'd like a go at making one yourself you could always try out IG maker. The software is basically pre-built for making Zelda clones but it's a LOT tougher thatn it sounds. I tried making a 3 dungeon map with a miniature (read:eek:ne town) overworld. Took ages and turned out proper shite.

fake edit: And after googling for Zelda clones it's funny how many of them rank as my favorite 'B-tier' games. On reflection I will say the closest a competitor has come to scratching the 'Zelda itch' would be enix with Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma. Both are awesome, awesome games in their own right with Terranigma following the formula much more closely.

Have you ever checked out For Whom the Frog Tolls or Nazo no Murasamejou? They're both pretty decent as well.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Ys series, Alundra, Pyschonauts.[/QUOTE]

Psychonauts? How do you figure Psychonauts is a Zelda clone, it's a platformer and it's not even close to a Zelda clone.

I never thought of Pyschonauts as a Zelda type of game but I can see the comparison a little bit. The camp is kind of a base location, you get new powers as you progress, and each area has a boss battle.

I'm not going to defend Zelda but the last one I played through was Twilight Princess, I felt like everyone harped on the fact that it was basically a gamecube port more so than the game. The wii controls weren't perfect but didn't stop me from finishing the game. I thought when it was doing things right it was a great game. I dug the atmosphere of it as well. Sometimes I wonder if the people who complain the most about Zelda games ever play through them or not as they do take awhile to get really moving sometimes.

Zelda really needs to ditch the gimmicky controls and needs voice acting. I expect an HD version will help as well. I'm just not sure I'll be getting a Wii U.

[quote name='cochesecochese']I found the first 10-15 hours of Okami to be slow as hell but forced myself through and ended up liking it quite a bit but not loving it.[/QUOTE]
It was merely "okay" for me. Totally got the comparisons, although the design (in terms of map layout, etc.) of Zelda games tends to be more interesting.

I dropped Okami and all Zelda games alike, just have a hard time getting into them.

Skyward was very good though, I actually feel like going back to it.

The Souls series is what I always wanted the Zelda games to be. Could use a few more puzzles but it's pretty much perfect for me.

Otherwise you got the YS series, the Mana series, the Metroid series, Chantelise, the Dark Cloud games, the Draken games, Soul Reaver, Beyond Good and Evil, and recently Pandora's Tower.
However the game I think is most like Zelda in the way you like things from the series is Kameo.

None of these are really an exact clone, but if you wanted an exact clone you'd replay the Zelda games you like.

If it ever comes out Beyond Good and Evil 2 should be a good zelda clone.

Last edited by a moderator:
3D Dot game heroes.

Although that game was specifically made to be a 2D Zelda clone/tribute.

I thought Okami related to 3D Zelda with the side quests, villages, open field environments, weapon upgrades, health and mana (ink) upgrades, collectable items, and puzzles (celestial brush interactions). Personally I thought it was amazing and one of the best games of last gen.

I think Okami is probably the closet thing to Zelda that I've played. Alundra is another close one.

I don't get the Ys comparison though I've only played I & II Chronicles and Oath in Felghana. Pandora's Tower isn't one I would have thought of but yeah, it kinda is.

The Guardian Legend (NES) is freakin' awesome and some people consider it a Zelda clone. While it has some similarities to Zelda, I consider it a really awesome original game. It has overview levels like Zelda and the female protagonist turns into a plane for vertical shooter levels.

Seems like a lot of games have Zelda-like characteristics but nothing is a total (good) rip-off. Like how recent Castlevania games are basically Metroid with a different skin or how Banjo-Kazooie is freaking amazing but it's really just Mario 64.

[quote name='Javery']Seems like a lot of games have Zelda-like characteristics but nothing is a total (good) rip-off. Like how recent Castlevania games are basically Metroid with a different skin or how Banjo-Kazooie is freaking amazing but it's really just Mario 64.[/QUOTE]

Well Banjo-Kazooie feels like an evolution of Mario 64 by just allowing you to stay in the same world until you get everything. That's really cool. Tooie got insanely complicated and confusing though, to the point of absurdity and ruined the fun.

The only "good" Zelda clone I'd say is Okami, but even that has the problem of really overstaying its' welcome by 30 hours. Darksiders...was okay, not great.

Oh boy loved Brave Fencer Musashi (still own my ps1 hard copy). Samurai Legend (while I own it), not so much.

[quote name='Vinny']I think Okami is probably the closet thing to Zelda that I've played. Alundra is another close one.

I don't get the Ys comparison though I've only played I & II Chronicles and Oath in Felghana. Pandora's Tower isn't one I would have thought of but yeah, it kinda is.[/QUOTE]

You're missing Ys Seven, the best game in the series.

Another "in spirit" clone is the Resident Evil series. Lots of puzzles and doubling back to open areas with treasures (but not weapons, IIRC).

I hope more suggestions come in, with thoughts on why it is that Zelda clones are tough to come by. It's an interesting discussion, the idea hadn't ever occurred to me even though clones are pretty easy to come by in games. Nice one, Javery.

[quote name='Javery']Seems like a lot of games have Zelda-like characteristics but nothing is a total (good) rip-off. Like how recent Castlevania games are basically Metroid with a different skin or how Banjo-Kazooie is freaking amazing but it's really just Mario 64.[/QUOTE]
What is missing from Beyond Good and Evil that makes you say this?

As far as why there aren't any total rip-offs, the Zelda series is good but because it has so many different elements when you ask someone about why they like the Zelda series you can get hundreds of different answers. I like riding around an overworld on horseback! The combat! The RPG lite elements of upgrading your HP without a convoluted stat system! The dungeons! The boss encounters! etc etc etc.

With so many things to copy from anyone hoping to make a clone will see a way to improve upon it drawing on the elements they like from the series while "improving" others. I personally love the combat system. Blocking until you find an opening or having to use a specific item to create that opening. Zelda accomplishes this by providing tools in the form of items. Another game can do the same thing by creating different attacks that you unlock as you go to perform the same function. However I don't really care about going through a dungeon and "solving it" in the Zelda games. Its always the same. You'll almost exclusively use the new item you found in the dungeon to progress with only the absolutely last level using your whole inventory. Imagine if a Zelda game had the first set of dungeons be the ones where you find all the items and then the next set of 6 require the use of all your items and you can visit them in any order you please so if you got stuck you could switch to a different dungeon.

Someone will hate this idea and thats why theres no complete ripoff. If anyone wanted to make a Zelda ripoff they'd want to change the stuff they think needs improving and Nintendo has been doing this to stuff that is widely accepted as good for some reason. So at this point I don't think Zelda even has a set style to ripoff.

I'm not sure how borderline this is for me to post this, however here's a fan made Link to the Past clone:

http://www.zelda-solarus.com/jeu-zsdx-english

Haven't actually played it, so I can't comment on the actual game. Forgot about it when I saw it months ago finally being released in English and forgot about it until this thread reminded me of it. Not really entirely relevant, though I figured I'd throw it out there for anybody interested.

As far as current gen goes I thought Kameo was very much a Zelda clone. Lock-on targeting, a hub world with areas you could basically consider dungeons, some light puzzle solving and the different forms were not unlike Link's various upgrades.

I'm also surprised no one has mentioned Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet... a fairly underrated game in my opinion, and definitely a straight-up Zelda clone. Hell I remember more than a few people not liking it because it was so much of a Zelda clone, but now here we are, pining for Zelda clones.

Crystalis for NES. There's a GBC port, but I'm not a fan of it. I would say Batman: AA follows Metroid in style more than Zelda, but Arkham City is still a tremendously good game.

And I'll also second Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet, Okami, and 3D Dot Game Heroes.

And I feel it's worth mentioning, have you played every Zelda game? Lots of people skipped the Capcom developed entires (Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Minish Cap), but those were really good. Minish Cap in particular I thought was quite outstanding. Four Swords Adventures was similarly overlooked.

Whomever said Star Fox Adventures hit it right on the nose. I believe that's the closest thing there has ever been to a clear rip-off.

I really need to play 3D Dot Game Heroes now... why was I not informed it was Zelda-like?!

If it weren't for Okami and Beyond Good & Evil I wouldn't have had a good "Zelda" game to play since Wind Waker.

I gave TP a solid 10 hours and it sucked balls. I gave Skyward about a 1/3rd of that and was bored to tears. Same for Spirit Tracks. Zelda has lost it. Sad considering I used to finish them all.

[quote name='Corvin']If it weren't for Okami and Beyond Good & Evil I wouldn't have had a good "Zelda" game to play since Wind Waker.

I gave TP a solid 10 hours and it sucked balls. I gave Skyward about a 1/3rd of that and was bored to tears. Same for Spirit Tracks. Zelda has lost it. Sad considering I used to finish them all.[/QUOTE]

That means you haven't played Minish Cap. Play that.

There's nothing "solid" about 10 hours. I'm not defending TP or SS, but you gotta try harder than that before passing judgement. At least IMO you do.

[quote name='dothog']There's nothing "solid" about 10 hours. I'm not defending TP or SS, but you gotta try harder than that before passing judgement. At least IMO you do.[/QUOTE]
the fuck? 10 hours is a long time. if a game can't hook you in 10 hours it doesn't deserve a second chance. this isn't' a jrpg we're talking about its a zelda game.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Okami.[/QUOTE]
This. Though I was thoroughly disappointed in Okamiden, because it was crazy linear and took away most of the "Zelda"-like aspects

[quote name='crystalklear64']The Souls series is what I always wanted the Zelda games to be. Could use a few more puzzles but it's pretty much perfect for me.
[/QUOTE]

Dark Souls is the best Zelda game of 2011. fuck Skyward Sword in sideways. Like you said, I'd love more puzzles, but the exploration and discovery elements of Dark Souls totally made it feel like a Zelda game.

Really miss Rare's "Let's take a Nintendo game and make a clone of it with our own twist". Banjo and DK64 = Mario, Star Fox Adventures (and Kameo, to a lesser degree imho) = Zelda. fuck it, I just miss the Rare in general. Kinect and Avatar bullshit doesn't count...

Darksiders was good, but sloppy. Darksiders 2 looks fantastic however, and I'm really excited for it!

Too bad recent Zelda games have been shit. I really enjoyed Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass would have been better if it didn't have the Temple of the Ocean King and forced "touch" controls, and Spirit Tracks is to date the first and only Zelda game I stopped playing.

Almost stopped Skyward Sword, but forced myself to finish it. It saddens me the day I can truthly say I had to force myself to finish a Zelda game, but that game was horrible. Loved the art style, but the world felt empty, linear, and repetitve. There weren't enough areas. There was little to no exploration. The controls were fantastic when they worked, but only responded accurately about 30% of the time.

Hopefully the inevitable Zelda 3DS and WiiU will redeem my favorite series.

[quote name='crystalklear64']if a game can't hook you in 10 hours it doesn't deserve a second chance. this isn't' a jrpg we're talking about its a zelda game.[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on the game? For a zelda game it seems a little hasty, but maybe I'm being a touch fanboyish. I would think that, given the reputation of the series, you'd play a little more than 10 hours before scrapping a console zelda, but it's just, like, an opinion, man.

Since no one has mentioned it yet, I'd just like to mention Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. I haven't played it in years, but I remember it being a pretty fun Zelda-esque games.

[quote name='dothog']I guess it depends on the game? For a zelda game it seems a little hasty, but maybe I'm being a touch fanboyish. I would think that, given the reputation of the series, you'd play a little more than 10 hours before scrapping a console zelda, but it's just, like, an opinion, man.[/QUOTE]

Depending on amount of sidequests completed and such, 10 hours of a Zelda game could end up being >20% of his playtime. I'd consider that a fair shake. I've written off games after far less time because I just wasn't having fun with it.

Where does Kingdom's of Amalur fall on the Zelda scale? Only played the demo, but I felt some Zelda-vibes there. Dark Cloud and Dark Cloud 2 should also get a mention (if they haven't yet).

[quote name='Whambamm']Since no one has mentioned it yet, I'd just like to mention Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy. I haven't played it in years, but I remember it being a pretty fun Zelda-esque games.[/QUOTE]

Oh hell yeah! Can't believe I forgot about this game. Could be nostalgia talking, but it was a fantastic, truly underrated gem.

Starfox Adventures might be the most disappointing pile of shit I've ever played. I hate that game so so much.

So my son (5) is way into Zelda now. He has been playing Ocarina of Time on my 3DS like a mad man. He can't actually do anything but he loves riding Epona, fighting bad guys and playing the ocarina to warp all over the place. Anyway, he was asking if there were any other Zelda games so this weekend we fired up Wind Waker and I've almost never seen a bigger smile on his face. He has done nothing but wander around Outset Island and he is having a blast. He found the sword, rounded up some pigs and cut down a ton of shrubbery. Man, that game was awesome.

There were quite a few decent Japan-only Zelda: LTTP clones released on Super Famicom.

Here's a couple I have/have played:

Ganpuru: Gunman's Proof
220px-GunpleGunmansProofJPBoxShotSNES.jpg

-Basically a Zelda clone with a Wild West theme. You use various guns instead of swords but it has a similar dungeon/overworld concept with a focus on puzzle-solving and exploration.

Rejoice: Aretha Oukoku no Kanata
220px-Rejoice-snes.jpg

-A "Hip Hop RPG", whatever that means. It has a focus on action gameplay/exploration like Zelda.

Seiken Densetsu 3 (AKA: Secret of Mana 2)
250px-Seiken_Densetsu_3_Front_Cover.jpg

-Japan-only follow-up to the excellent Secret of Mana. Just like Secret of Mana, it has game-play and dungeon exploration a bit like Zelda: LTTP.

Power Soukoban
Powersoukoban_boxart.png

-An awesome mash-up of Zelda and Boxxle from Nintendo! As one of the last Super Famicom games released, it has excellent graphics and music!

Marvelous: Mou Hitotsu no Takarajima (Marvelous: Another Treasure Island)
220px-Marvelous_box.PNG

-Directed by none other than Eiji Aonuma himself! The game has a strict focus on exploration and puzzle-solving, but actually re-used some art assets from Zelda: LTTP!

Nice list! I'm gonna have to see if I can find any fan translations of those. Seiken Densetsu 3 is in my top 20 (possilby top 10) list for sure!

bread's done
Back