PSN vs Disc

Buckeye23

CAGiversary!
I just recently bought a PS3 in the beginning of May. I've extensively played all the COD's, GTA4, and many other games already at friends' houses. I currently have Cod:WaW, MW3, and Wipeout HD + Fury (PSN).

I've been wanting GTA IV for a while now, and I was thinking, why not just buy it on PSN. But see, I want that disc and box to add to my collection.

Is anyone else that way? Where you want the physical disc and box to have, instead of a digital download.

I always buy physical. Due to resell possibilities. And the prices of digital are still INSANE.
NCAA Football 2013 59.99 on PSN = 45 on amazon physical copy and can resell it, doesnt take up 8gigs of space on your HDD.

Digital releases would have to be at least 50% off new release prices for me to consider buying them. A way to sell your digital releases would be nice too. Even if it is only for PSN credit.

Always physical disc. Can't see any upside to getting digital. I have gta 4 GH ps3 sealed. Want it? $8 shipped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until I can get trade credit or cash on CL for digital copies it's physical for me all the way. Not to mention the PSN outage exposed the major flaw with digital only devices there will always be technical issues but anything major can be epic. It's no diiferent than hearing Amtrak is shut down for "track issues" nobody's going anywhere.

Also, in a digital only world "clearance" sales no longer exist they'll just wait you out to make the purchase. Wonder what scam they'll pull since GOTY editions won't really be needed come to think of it the only thing people will buy in-store would be CE since the swag can't be digital...well they do get people to pay for in-game clothes & other $hit.

If it's cheap enough, I don't care at all about the benefits of discs. There have been enough deals over the past year on them that it's a great way for me to upgrade to digital by trading in my physical copy and enjoying the benefits of both formats at once.

Both. If it's a game I'm going to play for a long time, I'm getting digital. For fighting games like Street Fighter Digital all the way. I have a disc version of KOF 13. If I could get a digital version for 20-30 bucks, I'd buy it all over again. Same with other games that have high replayability.

If I didn't already have GT5 physically, I'd get it digital off the PSN store. It's one of those weighing options, simply because the whole monstrosity is installed with less disc accessing and more instant access to the HDD.

[quote name='mrcheeses']Digital since its super cheap with gameshare[/QUOTE]
Except that Sony limited the number of consoles you could 'share' a game on to TWO a while ago.

Like others have said, unless prices on the digital versions drop to 50% or MORE(more in my case) off of MSRP then I'll always prefer a disc version versus a digital one every time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except that Sony limited the number of consoles you could 'share' a game on to TWO a while ago.

Like others have said, unless prices on the digital versions drop to 50% or MORE(more in my case) off of MSRP then I'll always prefer a disc version versus a digital one every time.[/QUOTE]

But you can still get phantoms instead of resells so it basically dropped from 5 to 4. A $60 psn game for $10 is such a great deal.

[quote name='mrcheeses']But you can still get phantoms instead of resells so it basically dropped from 5 to 4. A $60 psn game for $10 is such a great deal.[/QUOTE]
Phantoms? If by that you mean having people constantly activating/deactivating their consoles on the shared account, that's a major pain in the ass. What if you're one of the deactivated people and wanna play one of the shared games right then? Oops. Too bad. You gotta wait till one of the active people are done.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Phantoms? If by that you mean having people constantly activating/deactivating their consoles on the shared account, that's a major pain in the ass. What if you're one of the deactivated people and wanna play one of the shared games right then? Oops. Too bad. You gotta wait till one of the active people are done.[/QUOTE]

No, phantoms are meant so 4 people can have the game and play it anytime they want. If people constantly deactivate and reactivate i guess you can have a boat load of people on one account.

[quote name='Nogib']Disc. There is ZERO reason to ever get digital versions.[/QUOTE]

Yes there is. For games I will never stop playing, like King of Fighters, I would love to have a digital version. Hell I'd pay 30 bucks for a digital version of KOF 13 right now. I could put in some Jrpg and not have to get up and switch discs every time I get the craving. I played more KOF than Street Fighter this year.

Right. I like having digital so I don't have to get up and swap out discs.
(A "install to HD" option could get rid of that though)

If I digital was 50% or more off the price of a physical copy, I'd be all for it.

I don't like digital because there's no re-sell or trade option that goes with it. Once you're done with the game, that's it. delete, it, throw it in the trash. It no longer has any value.

Whichever is cheaper and when there's a sale along with a Plus discount then we are talking about half of what the discs are at retail.

If you have a 500GB HDD or higher then it doesn't matter really. If you want long enough, the game you desire will be $10. Digital copies go on sale here and there, but the disc copy will always be cheaper unless it becomes extremely rare. Then it would make sense to buy the digital copy.

I like digital versions better as long as they are not full retail prices. People saying there is no upside to digital don't understand what they speak.

From my experiences of using both disc and digital versions...

Pros (disc)

You get to own a copy and look at it
Does not take up a lot of space on HDD
A wider selection of games
Many of the new releases are released on disc first and maybe to digital later
Won't get scammed from gameshare
Able To Resell

Pros (digital)
Most of the time with gameshare, the games are way cheaper ($60 games for $10)
Digital Exclusives
Able To Resell (if you don't have a phantom)
No need to worry about used copies since digital copies work like new which means no online pass needed

When the Xbox 720 and PS4 come out we won't have the option anyway, but I personally prefer a disc for collection purposes and resell-possibilties.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']When the Xbox 720 and PS4 come out we won't have the option anyway, but I personally prefer a disc for collection purposes and resell-possibilties.[/QUOTE]

Is what you said been confirmed? That's the shittiest thing they can do for the next gen consoles.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']When the Xbox 720 and PS4 come out we won't have the option anyway, but I personally prefer a disc for collection purposes and resell-possibilties.[/QUOTE]
None of that has really been proven as of yet. But if that's the case and they try going all digital then any companies doing that to eliminate the used game market can kiss my ass. Just going by the digital copy prices now on PSN for full retail releases they would lose my business completely since I'm more of a $5-10 buyer than a $30-60 one.

The only upside to that would be that Gamestop would likely die a quick death since a good chunk of their business model is selling pre-owned crap.

This is incorrect. You will still be able to get physical and digital copies on the next gen consoles.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']None of that has really been proven as of yet. But if that's the case and they try going all digital then any companies doing that to eliminate the used game market can kiss my ass. Just going by the digital copy prices now on PSN for full retail releases they would lose my business completely since I'm more of a $5-10 buyer than a $30-60 one.

The only upside to that would be that Gamestop would likely die a quick death since a good chunk of their business model is selling pre-owned crap.[/QUOTE]

:roll: The only reason you hate GS so much is cuz they banned you ;)

[quote name='praxus07']:roll: The only reason you hate GS so much is cuz they banned you ;)[/QUOTE]
Nah. That was actually a blessing in disguise, since I haven't had to sift through 20-30 pre-owned copies of games at Best Buy or FYE to find a complete copy that didn't look and smell like someone wiped their ass with it.;)

Moreover, at those other places I'm not harassed for 20 minutes while the reps rattle off the names of games I'll 'never find if I don't pre-order'.:booty:

Not to mention before they gobbled up EB Games the Edge card only would set you back $5 a year and wasn't tied to a magazine that was 60% ads and 40% shill articles whoring out the games they want you to pre-order.:razz:

If it's cheap enough, digital is fine, but more than $10-15 and I'm going to want to resell it when I'm done. I don't really collect games for the sake of doing it anymore, I only keep games that I haven't finished if I really loved them.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']Gamestop is forever. In 2098 there will only be ruined wastlelands, coachroaches, and Gamestops.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. It's going to be wastelands, coachroches, twinkies, slinkies and aol floppy disks.

[quote name='Paco']Wrong. It's going to be wastelands, coachroches, twinkies, slinkies and aol floppy disks.[/QUOTE]
Don't forget about the immortals. There can be only one.;):booty:

Cant put downloads on a shelf, in alphabetical order, to look at and never play. Disk/cart/card for me every time.

[quote name='KneeKnee']Cant put downloads on a shelf, in alphabetical order, to look at and never play. Disk/cart/card for me every time.[/QUOTE]

Heh, same for me. Makes me wonder if Book-snobs like the Kindle. A virtual book shelf does not compare to the real thing!

I like digital for like say PS1 classics or minis. No 4 discs, no memory cards(physical), and you can load it to a PSP for portable. Though you are missing out on some real gems that are download only if you only buy physical. Most are on Steam too though.

I'll pose a question: If the PS4 and Xbox720 do not let you carry over all your digital purchases (which could include games like Braid, Trine, or full retail games like Infamous 2) to their next system, would you still support digital releases?

[quote name='Kazaganthi']
I'll pose a question: If the PS4 and Xbox720 do not let you carry over all your digital purchases (which could include games like Braid, Trine, or full retail games like Infamous 2) to their next system, would you still support digital releases?[/QUOTE]

If my digital content doesn't carry-over then I will take whatever money I would've spent on new consoles and buy a SFF PC instead and hook that up to my TV.

bread's done
Back