New Kindle Paperwhite and Kindle Fire HD Models announced and up for Preorder

dmaul1114

Banned
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/kindle-paperwhite/

The new e-ink Kindles have a better screen--higher dpi for better contrast, and a whiter background. They also have an integrated glow light like the Nook that's been out for a while. Also some software updates--15% faster page turns, new fonts, feature that estimates how much time you have left in the chapter/book based on your page turn rate etc.

Wifi only model is $119 with ads, $139 with out. Wifi and 3g model is $179/199.

I preordered the $119 model--had more than enough Amazon credit from my Amazon rewards Visa card and taking change to Coinstar to cover it, a charger and a zip sleeve case for it. Didn't want a book style cover anymore as I prefer just reading the Kindle naked rather than in a case, but before needed a case to have a light a lot of the time.

I've always wanted a whiter screen, and the built in light will be great and save me screwing around with a book light.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/06/amazon-announces-kindle-fire-hd/

The Fire update is moving to an HD screen, and adding a 8.9" model to the 7" series.

8.9" HD Fire with 4G is $499, wifi only is $299.

7" Fire HD is wifi only and $199. Original Fire is now $159.

Lots of details on all of them on the Amazon product pages: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008GEKXUO/ref=fs_cl

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the new Paperwhite screen, but it really bothers me that it doesn't have page turn buttons.
I guess I'll be keeping my Kindle Keyboard 3G for another year.

I'd prefer page turn buttons, but can live without them. I've gotten used to reading on touch screens since I read a good bit on my iPhone Kindle app when out and about, and read a lot of PDFs and newspapers on my iPad.

Not a big dealt to tap the screen to go forward/backward a page rather than pressing a button.

1200 resolution for $300? Sold. Been waiting on this announcement and I'm hoping they've learned enough from their initial fire product that there won't be any issues.

My hope is that we can also swipe to turn the page back on the Paperwhite. I.e. swipe slightly left on the right side of the screen to go back a page. Otherwise turning back a page will be a little cumbersome. Since it has a capacitve touchscreen unlike the Kindle Touch, it could certainly do this no problem. Just a matter of if they implement it. However, whether it's there or not, I think this is better than page turn buttons because you can touch anywhere on the right side to turn the page. I found the placement of the page turn buttons on my old Kindle a little uncomfortable. This should be more comfortable.

I also pre-ordered the WiFi model. Can't wait to get it next month! I am thinking about getting the leather case that Amazon makes. I really liked the lighted one for my old Kindle (except the light which so unevenly lit the screen). But it is a bit pricey. Still, it's high quality.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I'd prefer page turn buttons, but can live without them. I've gotten used to reading on touch screens since I read a good bit on my iPhone Kindle app when out and about, and read a lot of PDFs and newspapers on my iPad.

Not a big dealt to tap the screen to go forward/backward a page rather than pressing a button.[/QUOTE]

Turn page buttons are something that I've had since my first Sony Readers in 2006 and it's something that pretty much every e-Reader has had since. It's just a simple and easy way to turn pages and I don't understand why they would take it out. The Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight has it, so I really don't see why they didn't include it with their device.

That said, I've never really liked touch screen e-Readers. Maybe they've fixed most of the latency and glare issues, I really don't know. Regardless, I still prefer the interface of the Kindle 3. The keyboard just works great when I'm looking for a new book on the road and the buttons are perfectly placed.

I really do like the new screen, but I prefer the interface of my Kindle.
Maybe next year.

[quote name='crunchewy']My hope is that we can also swipe to turn the page back on the Paperwhite. I.e. swipe slightly left on the right side of the screen to go back a page. Otherwise turning back a page will be a little cumbersome.
[/QUOTE]

It will. Even the Kindle touch could do swipes. Right to left is forward a page. Vice versa to go back a page. Up-down to jump forward/back a page.

[quote name='KillerRamen']
That said, I've never really liked touch screen e-Readers. Maybe they've fixed most of the latency and glare issues, I really don't know. Regardless, I still prefer the interface of the Kindle 3. The keyboard just works great when I'm looking for a new book on the road and the buttons are perfectly placed.

I really do like the new screen, but I prefer the interface of my Kindle.
Maybe next year.[/QUOTE]

I can see that. I have the Kindle 3 currently. I pretty much never use the keyboard though as I do all my shopping on a PC. I don't generally take my Kindle on the road anymore as I can just read on the kindle app on my iPhone and iPad.

I doubt they'll do an update of the keyboard model at this point. But maybe they'll at least add page turn buttons to the next touch model, or put the Paperwhite screen and light on the basic kindle model in the future.

[quote name='dmaul1114']

I can see that. I have the Kindle 3 currently. I pretty much never use the keyboard though as I do all my shopping on a PC. I don't generally take my Kindle on the road anymore as I can just read on the kindle app on my iPhone and iPad.

I doubt they'll do an update of the keyboard model at this point. But maybe they'll at least add page turn buttons to the next touch model, or put the Paperwhite screen and light on the basic kindle model in the future.[/QUOTE]

I find the keyboard very helpful. Plus, to take advantage of Prime with the Kindle you need to look up the book on the Kindle. I also really like having 3G. I bought quite a few books when I was in Grand Cayman over the summer. I was able to get 3G for my kindle, but I wasn't able to get internet access for my laptop.

They may or may not update the Keyboard, I dunno... I'm happy with my Kindle 3 and while I love new gadgets, this update isn't enough for me to get a new one.

I agree though, I think the new screen will eventually become the new standard across the line.

Never used a hardware Kindle, but does this "paperwhite" shit still let you pick a sepia tone and off-black font? Because I use the Droid app and it's hard on the eyes unless you pick that combo.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Never used a hardware Kindle, but does this "paperwhite" shit still let you pick a sepia tone and off-black font? Because I use the Droid app and it's hard on the eyes unless you pick that combo.[/QUOTE]

Eink has no backlighting so no eye strain from light. It's like paper basically, and you need an external light source to read.

This new model has a front light that shines into a glow layer on the screen to light the screen while shining minimal light outward toward your eyes. That can be adjusted or turned off if you have enough light to see without it.

Stores like Best Buy and Staples carry the old models so you can go check out the displays there and see what you think. The new one will just be a less gray background and sharper text--but otherwise the same with the light turned off.

Here's a video that shows it briefly compared to the old Touch model: http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/6/3298541/kindle-paperwhite-hands-on-video

Just so you all know, I've read that the Fire HD models will have built in advertising on the lock screen and in a corner of the home screen.

I read that too, but that you can buy out of it. Probably for $20 which is the price difference between the special offers and no add e-ink Kindles. You can also buy out of ads if on the special offers e-ink kindles if they bug you after you get them. Or opt into them (though you get no credit for doing so) if you buy the model with out offers and end up wanting one of the offers etc.

In general the Fire doesn't appeal to me at all. I'm happy with my iPad, and for people who prefer Android there are better options IMO since the Fire is locked into Amazon's android store and can't access the full android marketplace. Without rooting/jailbreaking anyway.

[quote name='Clak']Just so you all know, I've read that the Fire HD models will have built in advertising on the lock screen and in a corner of the home screen.[/QUOTE]
Really. . .

Thinking about it now $300 does tip its toe into the market of other tablets that seem less draconian in its OS and nonsense advertising. Starting to think this probably isn't what I've been waiting for after all. :\

The Kindle 4G says pay $50 for 250mb a month for 12 months. What are the options after 12 months, are they 250mb, 3gb, and 5gb or just 3gb and 5gb? What can you do with 250mb a month? How much are the 3gb and 5gb monthly plans?

With 250MB a month you can either download 50,000,000 books. Or watch a couple episodes of Xena: Warrior Princess on Netflix.

Seriously though, you can't do a whole lot with 250MB a month. I learned that on my phone with my 150MB plan. You really just end up paranoid every time you use it, hoping your router is always working so it didn't kick you on 3G when you were watching a movie or something like that.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']With 250MB a month you can either download 50,000,000 books. Or watch a couple episodes of Xena: Warrior Princess on Netflix.

Seriously though, you can't do a whole lot with 250MB a month. I learned that on my phone with my 150MB plan. You really just end up paranoid every time you use it, hoping your router is always working so it didn't kick you on 3G when you were watching a movie or something like that.[/QUOTE]

That sucks. Could you use your 250mb to download movies? Do you know how much internet browsing you could do with that? I guess we can say 3gb or 5gb from Amazon will be no more than $30 and $50.

I have a 250 MB (or is it 200?) plan on my iPad and I have never run out, but I'm not streaming movies or streaming audio on it. General browsing, asynch games and such. At least in the case of the AT&T iPad plans, if you run out you just run out. There's no exorbitant overage fees. You can opt to add another 250 or not. I don't know if that's how Amazon's works, though. I'd find that out if I were you.

I do any streaming or large downloads while on wifi.

It's just following their e-ink Kindle line where you can choose ads or no ad models, with the no add models being $20 less (used to be $30 difference). The ads are subsidizing the cost of the device, so you have to pay more to get out of them.

For the Fires, it seems like they just didn't offer an ad free version for some reason. And thus just have the option to buy out of them (like you can if you buy a Kindle with special offers and want to get rid of them later).

I'm also not sure if the Fire ads are different. On the Kindle, they're just special offers only available through clicking the ad (i.e. one was a $10 amazon gc for $5, others are discounts on various things) so they're kind of nice to have. They're also pretty unobtrusive on the e-ink Kindles. Just the lock screen (which I never pay attention to) and a banner on the home page. Nothing while reading. Not sure if they're more annoying on the Fire or not.

Got my Kindle Paperwhite yesterday. I like it a lot. The light is awesome. Very even across the screen other than some shadows from the LED at the very bottom--which isn't a big deal since those don't reach into the text of a book. The higher resolution screen is nice too, text is crisper/better contrast than the K3 I had.

Also nice having a smaller device since I rarely used the keyboard on the K3. The touch screen is also improved from the old Kindle touch. It's much faster and more responsive since it's a capacitive touch screen rather than just having an IR layer like the old touch model.

I decided not to get the case. Just got a zippered sleeve for when its getting tossed in my bag etc. Device is so small and sleek, I prefer reading it without a case. Just used cases on older models due to sometimes needing a clip on light.

I liked the lighted case for the cheap Kindle... except for the crappy light. So this one has the best part and doesn't need the worst part. Also, it makes the always-on ads a non-issue - they are covered up by the case when not in use, even when I just sit it down on a table.

Any awesome animal free cases yet for the PW? I have the Tuff-Luv Hemp case on my Kindle 4 and like it but had to do some digging to find the brand.

My PW will be delivered Saturday.. damn FSSS. lol

[quote name='crunchewy']I liked the lighted case for the cheap Kindle... except for the crappy light. So this one has the best part and doesn't need the worst part. Also, it makes the always-on ads a non-issue - they are covered up by the case when not in use, even when I just sit it down on a table.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Though you do have to open the case (or press the button if you don't have the auto sleep/wake case) and then swipe the screen to get rid of the ad.

Opening the case just wakes it up and makes the ad clickable, have to swipe to get past it. Makes sense as otherwise people with the case would never see the ads or be able to click them when needed.

On that front, if you buy Amazon MP3s, don't miss that there's an offer for $5 free MP3 credit now. No strings attached, just click and they'll e-mail a code to your e-mail that's tied to your Amazon account.

:lol:

I have an iPad 2 and this is the 4th Kindle model I have. I wouldn't have it any other way. Use the shit out of my iPad, but when I want to curl up and read, there's not beating the Kindle. iPad is just too bulky and heavy to read on for long stretches, and back lit screens tire my eyes if I read on them for more than an our or so. So the iPad is great for skimming through newspaper apps or articles for work, but the Kindle rules for curling up with a novel for a long while. Also better for reading in bed as back lit screens tend to wake me up and give me trouble falling asleep, so I try not to do anything on my iPad or iPhone after getting in bed.

camoor is confused about what an e-ink Kindle is.

I got my Kindle Paperwhite and I like it. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the light. In some ways I think it looks best with the light off, but obviously in a dark or dim room you're going to use the light. At higher brightness the light is white. At low levels, the light has a bit of a blue character to it, which isn't entirely pleasing to the eye, but I imagine I'll get use to it. It does light *very* evenly. At the bottom edge of the screen there is a slight unevenness. I'd say that 95% of the screen is perfectly evenly lit and the 5% that's slightly uneven is mostly border.

I like the touchscreen and I'm very happy to see that they did implement swipe to turn pages even though the help doesn't mention it, which is great for going backward without having to reach to the opposite side of the screen. You can also tap to turn pages. The screen has a texture to it, which is kind of interesting. Supposedly this was to make it feel more like paper. You don't see the texture at all, but you can feel it.

I also got the case and it is quite nice, although it's not a smooth leather like I was expecting. This is not bad at all. It has a diamond pattern/texture to it. It looks and feels good. I like the magnetic closure too.

FYI, no, there is not a film covering the screen to protect it. I thought there was and was trying to remove it. Turn it on and the info on the screen goes away. LOL. The battery was at 75% out of the box for me.

It seems to me that it should have a light sensor so that when you are in bright daylight the light would turn off to save power, seeing how you can't even see the light in that case and certainly don't need it. Not a big deal, but perhaps they will add that in a future revision.

I'm loving the light. Even in bright light, with it cranked way up it makes the screen look white. Which I love as I never cared for the drab, gray look of e-ink--just tolerated it as it was so much easier on the eyes than a back lit screen.

I find I read in bed (dim room) with the light around 15-16, bright room I'll crank it up to 20-22. Dark room probably around 10, but haven't read long enough in the dark to see if that gets too bright as eyes adjust to dark.

Yes, it does make it look white, but it also makes it look less like e-ink and more like a "display". Probably this is just due to being use to the drab look. :) But maybe I just had it too bright. I turned it down a little and now it looks like a whiter-background e-ink.

Yeah. The light doesn't really come outward, so it doesn't bother my eyes like a backlit screen.

But I never really got used to the drab look. Looked like a cheap paperback page, when I always preferred reading nice hardbacks with white pages. So the Paperwhite with the light up gets closer to that.

But I also do read a ton on my iPad (PDFs and newspapers mainly), so I'm also used to the display look. I just can't read for hours on end on it as that tires out my eyes. But fine for reading the news for an hour, or skimming through research articles for work etc.

Does the kindle fire have any type of security lock features to it? Like would I just be able to go and use the tablet after pressing the unlock button?

If it does have a passcode lock or something, then I guess ads are ok, as long as they are like the Kindle e-ink models. Just kinda odd that they are doing them.

On the paperwhite with ads, you wake it and then have to swipe the screen to get past the ad.

I'd assume the Fire with ads works similarly. But maybe not, the PW is that way as the Amazon cover autowakes it (like the ipad smart cover) when opened, so there has to be a tap after that so people with that cover are forced to see the ads (and can click the link if interested etc.).

[quote name='dmaul1114']:lol:

I have an iPad 2 and this is the 4th Kindle model I have. I wouldn't have it any other way. Use the shit out of my iPad, but when I want to curl up and read, there's not beating the Kindle. iPad is just too bulky and heavy to read on for long stretches, and back lit screens tire my eyes if I read on them for more than an our or so. So the iPad is great for skimming through newspaper apps or articles for work, but the Kindle rules for curling up with a novel for a long while. Also better for reading in bed as back lit screens tend to wake me up and give me trouble falling asleep, so I try not to do anything on my iPad or iPhone after getting in bed.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was totally kidding - the Kindle is awesome for reading books. I bought my mom one last year and when this one came out she was like "does this mean there's a better one now?" Welcome to the world of planned obsolesce.

My personal opinion - but I would think anyone on a videogames board would go for the tablet first and Kindle second, unless you had a hardcore reading habit or could use the Kindle for your job.

I have a long commute by car so I'd love it if there was a netflix for audiobooks. I tried the audible service for a year but I burned through everything I was interested in and the random queuing system drove me crazy. Buying audiobooks just costs too damn much.

Oh I'd agree. If I could only have one gadget, I'd keep my iPad as I can read on it and do other stuff.

But thankfully I do well enough for myself that I can easily afford both and have the best of both worlds. :D I'm also a bit of an odd ball though since I post so much here, but don't really game all that much anymore (get may 5-8 games a year these days). Spend a lot more time reading and watching movies than gaming in my free time these days. If it weren't for the off topic and vs. forum, I probably won't be on CAG anymore.

Also, you can check out audiobooks from the Overdrive system most big city libraries have these days (online checkouts of audiobooks and ebooks). Selection is pretty limited here in Atlanta though, and lots of long waits. But it's totally free so may be worth getting the app for your smartphone and seeing if there's anything you're interested in.

First e-reader with a way to turn the pages remotely so I can completely relax while reading gets a buy from me.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Oh I'd agree. If I could only have one gadget, I'd keep my iPad as I can read on it and do other stuff.

But thankfully I do well enough for myself that I can easily afford both and have the best of both worlds. :D I'm also a bit of an odd ball though since I post so much here, but don't really game all that much anymore (get may 5-8 games a year these days). Spend a lot more time reading and watching movies than gaming in my free time these days. If it weren't for the off topic and vs. forum, I probably won't be on CAG anymore.

Also, you can check out audiobooks from the Overdrive system most big city libraries have these days (online checkouts of audiobooks and ebooks). Selection is pretty limited here in Atlanta though, and lots of long waits. But it's totally free so may be worth getting the app for your smartphone and seeing if there's anything you're interested in.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter so much if you don't game, as long as you are still a cheapass.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will check that out. I just upgraded my smartphone's microSD card to 32 gig and I've been looking for a way to fill it up :lol:

[quote name='Strell']First e-reader with a way to turn the pages remotely so I can completely relax while reading gets a buy from me.[/QUOTE]

That would be great for a treadmill too, so you don't get the device sweaty

[quote name='camoor']It doesn't matter so much if you don't game, as long as you are still a cheapass.
[/QUOTE]

:lol: I don't really check the deals forums that much anymore either. I don't buy that many games or movies these days, and cash isn't tight like it was when I joined the site in grad school so I usually just order whatever I want from Amazon. :D

[quote name='camoor']That would be great for a treadmill too, so you don't get the device sweaty[/QUOTE]

Just seems like there should be a way to tack on a tiny bluetooth receiver that utilizes an existing bluetooth stack, and then just interfaces with a simple click button type thing.

Yeah it sounds like laziness, but I think there's a number of positive uses for it, and I'd gladly pay to have that functionality. There's discussions on Amazon.com about this that have people saying they have mobility issues (Parkinson's) that would benefit.

Some people say you could do voice commands too, which is nice, but I'd rather just click a tiny button.

I use my Kindle in the gym with no issues. Just sit it on the magazine rack on the eliptical (or treadmill if walking--can't read while running obviously) and tap it (button before, screen now) with a finger tip to turn pages. No need to hold it and get it all sweaty, and not that much sweat on a finger tip.

One thing some people did was use the text to speech feature and just turn the volume all the way down as it turns pages as it goes. I tried it once but found it too much hassle to get the page turn rate synched with my reading speed. Moot for the Paperwhite as they took out all the audio features anyway.

Yeah, I'd seen the auto page turning solution. Kind of a clever answer there, but it recalls memories of autoscrolling 2D platformers, and no one likes those.

I guess I'd just think with all the wireless tech we have available now, you'd think such things would exist.

My Paperwhite, the light is yellowish in the upper corner. The rest is white. Is anyone else's like that? I'm wondering if returning it will just give me another with the same issue. I do find it a little bothersome.

Mine is white all over, aside from the shadows in between the lights on the bottom (below the text) which is normal.

bread's done
Back