Wii U-ZombiU

Erad30

CAGiversary!
zombiu_north_american_cover_art-large.jpg

This has been one of the most hyped launch titles and a showcase for not only the gamepad functionality but that Nintendo will hopefully have a number of mature titles for this new system. It certainly sounds interesting, though I'm not completely convinced it will deliver. It might be just like Red Steel-launch title that was really supposed to show off the potential of the Wii and was pretty miserable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81GJDhkAWv4

Got my shipment confirmation from newegg, so hopefully ZombiU will arrive before Thanksgiving! This and New Super Mario Bros U are by far my most anticipated titles. Early impressions sound very promising, and even if it's not perfect, at least it's something novel.

a couple early reviews have been pretty positive, and frankly the multi-player option where you are kind of like a DM unleashing various types of baddies on the other players sounds amazing.

[quote name='Erad30']a couple early reviews have been pretty positive, and frankly the multi-player option where you are kind of like a DM unleashing various types of baddies on the other players sounds amazing.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of that, has there been any confirmation of what the other multiplayer modes are? Previews talk about them in the plural, but the one you mention is the only one I've heard of. Well, I guess the mode where you go through the campaign with another player as a zombie chasing you is one too.

[quote name='Erad30']a couple early reviews have been pretty positive, and frankly the multi-player option where you are kind of like a DM unleashing various types of baddies on the other players sounds amazing.[/QUOTE]

It also got a 4.5/10 from Gamespot. :lol: Tomorrow should be fun when the review floodgates open and people start playing their copies.

I have a feeling that this will be just like Red Steel was for the Wii.. lots of promise, poor execution.

Jim Sterling hinted at a negative review earlier:

Those "leaked" reviews for #ZombiU tempt me to break embargo by saying I like the game, but I can't say I like the game, so I won't.

it's release day, where the hell are the reviews. I'm going to pick up my system plus nsmbu and possibly this. thinking of seeing if they have scribblenauts instead

I read on other sites that the embargo lifts at 9am Pacific time, so noon eastern. I picked it up, along with Assassin's Creed III at the TRU buy 1 get 1 40% off sale a few minutes ago.

I was going to pick up Mario. But after seeing some gameplay videos, I realize its just another 2D style Mario game. I figure I could pass on it for the timebeing and decided to try something different and pick up ZombiU.

I'm not too far into it. If I had to guess, an hour, maybe 90 minutes into it. The combat, the melee combat specifically, is aggravating to say the least. In the beginning of the game(within the first hour more or less), you're encouraged to run away from zombies, and when needed, you engage no more than a few at a time. Then, zombies invade the safehouse, and you have to fight off half a dozen. Melee combat is so damn slow, and zombies take so many hits(I think at least 4 hits, maybe 5 to kill one). That, and it's an insta-kill if a zombie pounces on you. It doesn't matter how much health you have left, you don't even have a chance to fight them off, and so you're basically SOL at that point.

[quote name='Scorch']I have a feeling that this will be just like Red Steel was for the Wii.. lots of promise, poor execution.
[/QUOTE]

I knew this was going to be Red Steel Electric Boogaloo from the start, but a lot of people seemed blinded by OOOH ZOMBIES!!

[quote name='Dead of Knight']I knew this was going to be Red Steel Electric Boogaloo from the start, but a lot of people seemed blinded by OOOH ZOMBIES!![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I wanted to wait and see what others said. Definitely glad I did. I think Mario/Scribblenauts will last me awhile anyways.

My zombie love almost got the best of me.

the reviews are all over the place now, eurogamer and destructoid gave it a 9 and 8, I trust those site more than IGN or GS

thinking about getting this at kmart with the $10 gaming coupon

Yeah I don't know what to think about this game. Reviews are all over the place. Maybe I'll rent it first, and if I like it, buy it then.

Anyone else pick it up have their impressions?

Based on the video review IGN gave, I agree that melee combat looks tedious and annoying. But maybe it gets better? Different weapons?

A friend of mine has this and likes it a lot. Says it makes great use of the gamepad and such and is very tense and creative. So there's that.

[quote name='hack']Yeah I don't know what to think about this game. Reviews are all over the place. Maybe I'll rent it first, and if I like it, buy it then.

Anyone else pick it up have their impressions?

Based on the video review IGN gave, I agree that melee combat looks tedious and annoying. But maybe it gets better? Different weapons?[/QUOTE]

It's getting better, IMO at least. Once you get used to the combat, its pretty fun. There are different weapons, but it seems like the cricket bat is your only melee one. Its the usual lineup for guns(pistol, shotgun, sniper rifle, etc.). Very limited ammo on the guns though.

I'm starting to have a lot of fun with the game now. I'm really into the whole deliberate pacing. I think if you're a fan of a game like Dark Souls, then you owe to yourself to at least check it out. It certainly isn't perfect, but its a very solid game.

[quote name='eddie291']It's getting better, IMO at least. Once you get used to the combat, its pretty fun. There are different weapons, but it seems like the cricket bat is your only melee one. Its the usual lineup for guns(pistol, shotgun, sniper rifle, etc.). Very limited ammo on the guns though.

I'm starting to have a lot of fun with the game now. I'm really into the whole deliberate pacing. I think if you're a fan of a game like Dark Souls, then you owe to yourself to at least check it out. It certainly isn't perfect, but its a very solid game.[/QUOTE]

Never played Dark Souls really, I hear its rather difficult. I prefer my games to not frustrate me. lol

That being said, I rented ZombiU, and hopefully when I get home, it won't frustrate the heck out of me. My expectations are low, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hack']Never played Dark Souls really, I hear its rather difficult. I prefer my games to not frustrate me. lol

That being said, I rented Wii U, and hopefully when I get home, it won't frustrate the heck out of me. My expectations are low, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised.[/QUOTE]
You rented a Wii U or Zombie U? If it is the former I wonder how much they wanted you to put down in a deposit.

[quote name='bjstucker']You rented a Wii U or Zombie U? If it is the former I wonder how much they wanted you to put down in a deposit.[/QUOTE]

Lol. Sorry i meant ZombiU.

[quote name='foltzie']Interesting. Made it to the first
attack on the safe house
and died. Second survivor made it 30 seconds.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the same thing happened to me. My second survivor lasted almost a minute, and then I died... by my Zombie self.

I think I'm going to get this game, but I'm wondering if the price will drop before xmas. Won't have use of the Wii U until then anyway.

[quote name='crunchewy']I think I'm going to get this game, but I'm wondering if the price will drop before xmas. Won't have use of the Wii U until then anyway.[/QUOTE]

Not likely to see a MSRP reduction, but retailers opting to have a sale is very possible.

I really want to get this game. I decided on Mario and Scribblenauts for my two launch games (along with nintendo and seeing as it was a pack-in). Hoping to see a sale on in sometime soon or maybe someone will trade me their copy :)

I've only played a couple 20 mins sessions and its been awhile since I've played a game that makes you feel so vulnerable and tense. I'm enjoying it but I can easily understand why someone wouldn't. Afterwards it does make me want to play another zombie game where I can do the opposite and just shoot up some zombies.

[quote name='foltzie']Interesting. Made it to the first
attack on the safe house
and died. Second survivor made it 30 seconds.[/QUOTE]

I found if you
guide all of the zombies to the "turnstile" area you can do a stomp against them and not really get hit at all.

Loving the game. Sure the cricket bat combat is a bit repetitive but the gameplay is pretty engrossing. I'm on my 4th survivor now. I didn't realize this happens but during my playing I've ran across some other players zombified selves. Killed them and got some pretty good loot! Fun game! Sucks when you die because it auto saves instantly!

Picked up the game today. 4 hours in and I am loving it. I've died around 3 times but it was mostly due to being careless when it came to trying to boost my handgun by getting headshots on everything. Sadly this cost me my character that had the Silenced Pistol & Crossbow (died again trying to get to the corpse)

I just finished the game last night and I'm really not sure how I feel about it. The atmosphere and gameplay is pretty good. But there are other things that really hurt the experience for me.

The map/quick travel system is frustrating and there are missions toward the end where you backtrack and have to find certain items. I was having trouble finding one in particular and in that level once you get to a certain area you can't go back. You have to progress through the level to get to a quick travel point to then get back to the beginning. It's little but just annoying.

And also don't jump off anything even remotely high cause that's instant death. I jumped off a dock into water that wasn't that high and boom, dead.

There is a good game in there but I can see why this got mixed reviews.

Anybody have any experience playing this with a pro controller versus using just the game pad? I assume I can use one or the other and don't need to use both together? Which is better? I haven't been able to find a pro controller. Can I just use my classic controller and Wii remote from the old old Wii? Haven't bought the game yet but planning ahead.

[quote name='Vedder']Anybody have any experience playing this with a pro controller versus using just the game pad? I assume I can use one or the other and don't need to use both together? Which is better? I haven't been able to find a pro controller. Can I just use my classic controller and Wii remote from the old old Wii? Haven't bought the game yet but planning ahead.[/QUOTE]

you will still have to use the gamepad because of the scanning/checking for zombies on the map.

Also you need the new pro controller the old one doesn't work with WiiU games.

[quote name='Erad30']I'm pretty sure you need to just use the gamepad, it doesn't work with the pro controller.[/QUOTE]

it says you can on the back of the game case probably use pro controller for walking and attacking and gamepad for map/scanning/inventory.

went through 5 survivors and beat the game when you learn to exploit finish kills by leading zombies to low area's/ pushing them you can coast through the game with the paddle.

On my fifth survivor now and I don't think I am that far into the game. Playing on Normal difficulty. There seems to be only two settings - easy and normal. Maybe there is a hard mode after you beat the game or the single survivor mode is considered the hard mode? The game is a blast so far. It really cranks up the tension.

Really wish there were other melee weapons in this game. About 7 hours in and on my 12th survivor. I've died under some really frustrating conditions. Such as being blown up by a zombie I didn't know COULD blow up. Another is where the zombie was crawling under water and needed only 1 more hit to die but I could not hit it because I could not see it.

Fun game but some minor annoyances.

[quote name='decko5']Really wish there were other melee weapons in this game. About 7 hours in and on my 12th survivor. I've died under some really frustrating conditions. Such as being blown up by a zombie I didn't know COULD blow up. Another is where the zombie was crawling under water and needed only 1 more hit to die but I could not hit it because I could not see it.

Fun game but some minor annoyances.[/QUOTE]

Those explosive zombies account for at least 4 of my deaths. Its so instinctive to just swing at any zombie you see, but I always fail to notice the gas tank until halfway through my swing.

I beat the game and am pretty disappointed. The final game sequence happens after the credits, and if you die, you cant use your save anymore, you just get the bad ending. The narrative rushes you through and makes you think you can ignore the zombies, but sadly I got stuck a broken ladder sequence (kept getting pulled off even though zombies were nowhere near). I died pretty quickly after that.

Other than that, I've enjoyed this game much more than anything else on the Wii U (even better than RE6). It makes me wish Dead Island was coming out on the Wii U as i'm also a huge fan of DI and I think the game would benefit greatly from implementing some of the systems Zombiu uses

[quote name='Bezerker']Those explosive zombies account for at least 4 of my deaths. Its so instinctive to just swing at any zombie you see, but I always fail to notice the gas tank until halfway through my swing.

I beat the game and am pretty disappointed. The final game sequence happens after the credits, and if you die, you cant use your save anymore, you just get the bad ending. The narrative rushes you through and makes you think you can ignore the zombies, but sadly I got stuck a broken ladder sequence (kept getting pulled off even though zombies were nowhere near). I died pretty quickly after that.

Other than that, I've enjoyed this game much more than anything else on the Wii U (even better than RE6). It makes me wish Dead Island was coming out on the Wii U as i'm also a huge fan of DI and I think the game would benefit greatly from implementing some of the systems Zombiu uses[/QUOTE]

I don't know if I am as disappointed because I didn't really have such high expectations for this game. I think it starts off pretty slow. Using the map is also extremely annoying in my opinion. Overall pretty surprised actually. I expect this gets a really good sequel like Red Steel did.

I need to finish it tonight because my listing on eBay already sold. Essentially traded it in while it still has value. Going to pick up Mario.

So the message that said 'Meet here Wednesday' now reads 'I am infected. Come find my stuff' or something similar. Has anyone found anything?

[quote name='bjstucker']it says you can on the back of the game case probably use pro controller for walking and attacking and gamepad for map/scanning/inventory.

went through 5 survivors and beat the game when you learn to exploit finish kills by leading zombies to low area's/ pushing them you can coast through the game with the paddle.[/QUOTE]

Pro controller is for multiplayer only.

I need some of you to friend me so I can loot your zombies when they attack me. :) Someone on my list though put about 20 zombies in my game so that should help, heh. I just had a battle with a horde and lost most of my good gear because I couldn't get back to my previous body/zombie.

bread's done
Back