Paper Mario Sticker Star - 11/11/2012

crunchewy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
How can there not be a thread about this yet?!? I am super excited about this game! :)

http://papermario.nintendo.com

The Paper Mario: Sticker Star game is a flat-out epic new adventure, starring the
Mushroom Kingdom's most famous hero in an elaborate papercraft world. With the land
positively packed full of stickers, Mario™ will collect and use them to fight off baddies,
uncover secrets, and more. Fans of the Paper Mario series will discover all new gameplay
elements new to the franchise, while newer players will enjoy a craftastic new twist
on their favorite Nintendo hero—only for Nintendo 3DS!

I have this game pre-ordered at amazon for $29.99. I think they had the wrong price originally and I got in before they changed it. Yeah!

I'm probably picking this up. The IGN review is a little troubling though. They say it is good but there will definitely be times where you get stuck and have no idea what to do next and the game doesn't point you in the right direction so you end up doing a ton of backtracking to find something you may have missed. I hate that. Other than that the review was very positive.

crap dont know what to do yet (got a few days)

probally will not have any open slots on gamefly so it would cost me 7 bucks to upgrade

so i could take 7 off the game knocking it down to 23....

Ragnarok: Tactics is same price

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhh

[quote name='slidecage']crap dont know what to do yet (got a few days)

probally will not have any open slots on gamefly so it would cost me 7 bucks to upgrade

so i could take 7 off the game knocking it down to 23....

Ragnarok: Tactics is same price

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhh[/QUOTE]

This is probably a lot better than Ragnarok: Tactics

[quote name='62t']This is probably a lot better than Ragnarok: Tactics[/QUOTE]

yea reading reviews that game is very bad graphic wise and its almost a clone to FFT

[quote name='Javery']I'm probably picking this up. The IGN review is a little troubling though. They say it is good but there will definitely be times where you get stuck and have no idea what to do next and the game doesn't point you in the right direction so you end up doing a ton of backtracking to find something you may have missed. I hate that. Other than that the review was very positive.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but all of the paper mario games have been like that. They quite often don't really give you any direction, and you have to backtrack a lot, at least at the end of the game.

There were some frustrating bits in the first two games, but I still loved them. Plus are there really any RPGs that don't leave you scratching your head and wondering what to do next sometimes?

So $30 from Amazon is the best price for this?

EDIT: Amazon is showing $40... too much for a portable game, IMO. So where can this be had on the cheap?

Kmart is doing $15 coupon for $45 gaming purchase starting 11/11, so I'm going to try and find a clearance game to buy. You can also get a pre-order card from Target for $1 that gives you a $5 GC back. I actually bought one of those, but won't pick it up now with the better Kmart deal. (I'm still hoping for a better deal as well... B2G1 would be awesome.)

I have a pre-order from amazon for $30, but that's long since gone. A short time ago Newegg had a pre-order for it for $30 as well, but also that is gone I believe.

[quote name='Gden']Yeah, but all of the paper mario games have been like that. They quite often don't really give you any direction, and you have to backtrack a lot, at least at the end of the game.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it's a pretty hollow complaint. It's not just the Paper Marios, backtracking is an RPG staple. Reviews of this title should begin and end with goat attack. When it comes to goat attackin, I'm picking up what Nintendo is laying down.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Kmart is doing $15 coupon for $45 gaming purchase starting 11/11, so I'm going to try and find a clearance game to buy. You can also get a pre-order card from Target for $1 that gives you a $5 GC back. I actually bought one of those, but won't pick it up now with the better Kmart deal. (I'm still hoping for a better deal as well... B2G1 would be awesome.)[/QUOTE]

i think someone Target or best buy is doing 3 for 2 this week 3ds games

still cheaper to keep my preorders though

to
Forced to find a 3rd 40 for 80 + tax = 85.60

does anyone think a 7 year old would like this game? Of course they're blasting the commercial on all the kids channels, so my son wants it. He has literally not taken 3D Land out of his 3DS since launch last year and has beaten it multiple times, collected all three coins in all levels, when I couldn't (or didn't try) to finish past the second world.

I've tried telling him that this will be nothing like that, probably hard and complex, but he is obsessed with stickers (just spent $30 damn dollars on a Pokemon and Lego Sticker Book at his school book fair), probably stems from his like of Little Big Planet too.

So IDK, I don't mind dropping $30 on it by PMing Frys or something, but if he is just going to get frustrated, I'd rather spare him from that..

If he can read and understand simple math then I would guess he will probably enjoy it. My son (5) isn't quite there yet.

[quote name='soonersfan60']There is too much reading for a typical 7-year old, IMO.[/QUOTE]

I think it depends - when my daughter was 7 she was reading "real" books (small font, no pictures) like Harry Potter... although she is pretty nuts about reading (she prefers it to all other activities and reads like 3 books a week). I'm pretty sure my son won't be like that when he is 7 though... so I think it really depends on the kid.

thanks guys! Yeah I was worried about the reading aspect, hence why I've always deterred him from the Pokemon games, but from what I saw on videos for Paper Mario, it looked like most of the character captions were gibberish. I guess the reading aspect comes in to advance the story (?) He reads alright for his age, at least thats what his teachers say and from the books we read at night..perhaps I will search out a demo unit with it in or somehow let him try it out first.

[quote name='soonersfan60']P.S. If he likes to get coins, why not go for NSMB2? You can even buy extra levels online to download.[/QUOTE]
Yup, I know, picked that up day one to try to get him off 3D Land, he played it for 20 mins and he just didn't like it for some reason. IDK, he didn't like NSMB either. Maybe he doesn't like 2D planes...kids nowadays! Have no roots..

Does anybody know how many blocks this will take up if you download it? I may go that route. I only have 5000 blocks left on my SD card.

Amazon actually mailed my copy today so it will be here on Monday! That's the first time they have ever done that for me with a Sunday release game. Usually they don't mail them until the Monday after.

[quote name='pippin']Amazon actually mailed my copy today so it will be here on Monday! That's the first time they have ever done that for me with a Sunday release game. Usually they don't mail them until the Monday after.[/QUOTE]

pisses me off i got one day shipping and it shows the 16th

Does anybody know what other 2 more recent games to pair this up with for the Best Buy Sale? I guess I could get one of the Pokemon Games if I had too but anything else?

[quote name='skiizim']Does anybody know what other 2 more recent games to pair this up with for the Best Buy Sale? I guess I could get one of the Pokemon Games if I had too but anything else?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'm getting Professor Layton and Theatrythym to go with Paper Mario tomorrow.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Personally, I'm getting Professor Layton and Theatrythym to go with Paper Mario tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

bad thing with some many flips in the last few months could of got them cheaper flipping them

professor was 20 the other week if you could got a price match
and i think thetryhym you could got free or 20 bucks the first week it came out by selling the preorder items

if you really needed games i would say

paper mario
pokemon conquest
3rd game ummmmmmmm that be a hard one

I have all those games, that's the hard part. Either way I'm getting Paper Mario, it will keep me busy until the Wii U comes out. Thanks for the help though!!!!

[quote name='skiizim']I have all those games, that's the hard part. Either way I'm getting Paper Mario, it will keep me busy until the Wii U comes out. Thanks for the help though!!!![/QUOTE]

its 3ds games only good luck finding 2 more good 3ds games LOL

Does anyone know if this game has local play, download play, streetpass or spotpass capabilities? Can't seem to find it on the game's website. Thanks.

None of the above.

In the first town and I'm stuck already. Can't find the toads. THere's a mat in front of one of the houses and it says "ow" "ouch" when you hit it but you can't release the toad on it.

[quote name='2DMention']None of the above.....[/QUOTE]

Does it have multiple save slots so each player can have a separate file? I'll probably be sharing this game since there are no other options to do so like you say.

[quote name='blueweltall']Serious question, are there any stickers inside the game case?[/QUOTE]

No, just got home from the store after a long ordeal trying to get this game. I hate Sunday releases!!!!!

I never encountered this but the club nintendo code for paper mario came blank.

[quote name='skiizim']No, just got home from the store after a long ordeal trying to get this game. I hate Sunday releases!!!!!

I never encountered this but the club nintendo code for paper mario came blank.

[/QUOTE]

wow, okkkkk...that's definitely a call to customer service...

[quote name='SKEETER']Does it have multiple save slots so each player can have a separate file? I'll probably be sharing this game since there are no other options to do so like you say.[/QUOTE]

Yes, there are 3 save slots. And no stickers in the case. ;(

This game is ridiculously fun so far. I have completed all of World 1 and it took a little over 3 hours. With 6 worlds and probably some sort of final stage area, that means this game will easily clock in at 20+ hours for me. I am glad they moved away from the much more platformer like game that was Super Paper Mario and instead went back to the RPG like encounters of the earlier games. The sticker mechanic is kind of lame, as I would rather have some sort of experience like system and choose whether my stats went toward HP, Power or Defense, but I am still enjoying the game. I don't see too many people getting stuck in this game if you like to explore. I jump around everywhere smash my hammer all over the place and go into paper mode to check things all the time. If you do all that, you won't get stuck.

[quote name='token2k6']does anyone think a 7 year old would like this game? Of course they're blasting the commercial on all the kids channels, so my son wants it. He has literally not taken 3D Land out of his 3DS since launch last year and has beaten it multiple times, collected all three coins in all levels, when I couldn't (or didn't try) to finish past the second world.

I've tried telling him that this will be nothing like that, probably hard and complex, but he is obsessed with stickers (just spent $30 damn dollars on a Pokemon and Lego Sticker Book at his school book fair), probably stems from his like of Little Big Planet too.

So IDK, I don't mind dropping $30 on it by PMing Frys or something, but if he is just going to get frustrated, I'd rather spare him from that..[/QUOTE]

My son is 8 (and mildly autistic), and completed level 1 on his own (without much help from me). So, I think a typical 7 year old can get most it done.

*Slight Edit*
After playing another stage, it starts to become more apparent that the designers were trying to be too clever in certain areas. So, I would suggest a trip to gamefaqs or buying the guide to avoid unnecessary frustration. Getting lost for a few minutes is fine...beyond that it's annoying. They even hide the 'HP Ups' chances, and that's really not necessary since the game doesn't use traditional exp gain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not going to say that Paper Mario Sticker Star is the best game that ever has been or will be made, but I will say that it is the best game commercially available today. I'm having a ball with it! Great writing, fantastic sight gags, and an RPG scheme that makes RPG's tolerable. Well done, Nintendo!

Mine arrived a day early. Yeah! So far the game is pretty sublime. The sticker mechanic works great. I like it. Plus pulling those stickers off will always be fun. :) No complaints at all. I'm not that far in yet, but so far I love it.

The 3D is really great too. I loved whacking those triangle shaped goombas. :)

I may have to stop to pick this up on my way home. The TRU sale is tempting since I could get Professor Layton (or something else) for about $23 with the buy 1 get one 40% off. I don't really want it though... I have Zelda, NSMB2, Pilotwings and SM3DL and nothing else jumps out to me.

little shocked what amazon did...

i wrote in friday to cancel the item and they go it went into shipping process but they would tell UPS to hold the package and return it to them so i dont have to deal with it...

sunday came and i noticed that the sticker game had the same tracking number as my ps3 game and i was like what the hell

i emailed them asking what is going on and they said they made a mistake and stuck both items in a single box

and i never seen this before but what the hell if they are cool with it so am i

their email to me

I've reviewed our previous correspondence with you, and I'm very sorry about the incorrect information you received. I've passed your feedback along to management.

To compensate for this inconvenience, I've requested a refund of $29.98 for the full amount of this Paper Mario: Sticker Star, including any shipping costs. You'll see this refund to your gift card balance in the next 2-3 business days.

Since you used a gift card to pay on this order, I've refunded to your gift card balance. You'll not receive a claim code or no longer need the original gift card. These funds will be automatically applied to your next order
Once processed, you'll also be able to see the refund request here:

There's no need to return the item; you're welcome to keep, donate or dispose of it--whichever option is most appropriate and convenient for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

never seen that before ususally they go RETURN THE ITEM but not this time

I'm still waiting on mine to arrive, hopefully tomorrow or the next day. Can't wait though, the reviews have been really good. :)

I love this game, but I need to get an XL - It gets a bit uncomfortable (cramped fingers) playing this on my kids' original 3DS. Or maybe one of those add-on grips that makes it like a game controller would do the trick. I might try that.

bread's done
Back