Amazon offering Prime for $7.99/month?

htz

CAGiversary!
Staff member
Feedback
4 (100%)
Is anybody else seeing this besides me?
By signing up, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to the Amazon Prime Terms and Conditions of Amazon Services LLC and the Amazon Instant Video Terms of Use of Amazon Digital Services, Inc. and authorize us to charge your card or another available card on file. Your Amazon Prime membership continues until cancelled. If you do not wish to continue for $7.99/month plus any applicable taxes, select 'Do not renew' from Your Account.
It doesn't offer me the $79.99 per year but gives me a monthly plan which I can cancel at anytime. Which I think is perfect for me since I buy from amazon mostly around the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='htz']Is anybody else seeing this besides me?
It doesn't offer me the $79.99 per year for me but gives me a monthly plan which I can cancel at anytime. Which I think is perfect for me since I buy from amazon mostly around the holidays.[/QUOTE]

Are you a student? Last I knew they were only offering the monthly option to students.

[quote name='Stanley the Bugman']Are you a student? Last I knew they were only offering the monthly option to students.[/QUOTE]
Nope.

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2012/11/amazon-testing-a-799-per-month-prime-subscription.html
I did a simple google search and it looks like it is to compete with netflix and hulu's pricing for select amazon members. This is obviously a price increase for yearly members but for those who plan to subscribe not every month this is pretty awesome.

That's $95.88 per year, by the way. With Instant Video and free Prime shipping, it's still better to do a full year.

[quote name='Blade']That's $95.88 per year, by the way. With Instant Video and free Prime shipping, it's still better to do a full year.[/QUOTE]

True but it might be worth it if you just want it over the summer or winter break and you're buying a lot of stuff.

[quote name='Umair56']True but it might be worth it if you just want it over the summer or winter break and you're buying a lot of stuff.[/QUOTE]

Can you still split a normal Prime Membership though?

Last I remember you could get it for 5 people per account (supposed to be family memebers) but with that it would come to about $16 a year...

does anyone know if I renew my prime will I be charged $39.99? I am a student and have a student account. Or will they charge me the 79?

[quote name='BrolyB593']Can you still split a normal Prime Membership though?

Last I remember you could get it for 5 people per account (supposed to be family memebers) but with that it would come to about $16 a year...[/QUOTE]
I signed up for the $8/month, going to use it for black friday.
Up to four household members may share the shipping benefits of this membership.
It still offers you the ability to share, I just checked my prime settings, and you can upgrade to an annual membership at anytime (Save over 20% by changing to an annual membership), too.

I have it on my account as well. I'm not on a student account or anything.
I have never been a full prime member, did do the trial before. I just don't order enough off of amazon to ever need prime, plus I live in Hawaii so prime only gives me free standard shipping. No 2 day service unless its a heavy item like a computer case but then again super saver shipping gives that service for free.

I have 7.99 a month aswell woot gonna do it better for me only need it when i order things and free movies and books aswell win win

Where exactly are you guys seeing this?

Manage Prime Membership?

This is for none members right?

Mine runs out on the 10th, but if this pops up, I can take advantage of it. Not really watching any stuff or ordering like crazy.

[quote name='cjenvy']amazon says this is fake and based on the 2 users who confirmed im inclined to agree[/QUOTE]
It's not fake, and I don't make posts to troll.

http://www.hackingnetflix.com/2012/11/amazon-testing-a-799-per-month-prime-subscription.html
^Check that article, it was advertised to me just like the screenshots in that article. It also says the offer is being tested on select amazon members.

Edit: Pending charges on my discover card as proof.
pendingp.png

I would love for them to give me this, I would definitely pay 8 bucks monthly to get it myself, just to get the free books and streaming.

[quote name='Fors78']I would love for them to give me this, I would definitely pay 8 bucks monthly to get it myself, just to get the free books and streaming.[/QUOTE]

Well, I just clicked the Join Prime link in the top left of the website, next too/inside the Amazon logo, and the screen that loaded shows 7.99 a month.

Maybe my link will work:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/signup/videos/ref=gno_joinprmlogo_combined

I'm gonna try this I'd love prime for BF seems I get it free every year for some trial or deal. Totally worth $8 to not worry about minimums for free shipping.

Edit: failure!!!! Only option is $79 a year. I have had a prime trial 2 years ago during BF and Amazon mom free prime trial last BF..

[quote name='ral1121']Can you guys confirm the ability to stream movies at this price?[/QUOTE]
Streaming works, just tried Rango.

Meh not offered here :( My PRIME ran out 3 weeks ago and would love to be on a monthly plan. Offering it to select customers is a stupid idea IMO..its a PR nightmare waiting to happen.

Can also confirm $7.99 for my account. I rarely need anything that fast and do most of my shopping through Best Buy anyhow, so Prime isn't worth it for me at the moment. If it at least gave free shipping on Marketplace items, I could see justification for Prime, or if I didn't already have Netflix, but meh, not for me at the moment.

[quote name='FlipSide']Meh not offered here :( My PRIME ran out 3 weeks ago and would love to be on a monthly plan. Offering it to select customers is a stupid idea IMO..its a PR nightmare waiting to happen.[/QUOTE]

hmm...probably more of a CS problem than PR.

[quote name='FlipSide']Meh not offered here :( My PRIME ran out 3 weeks ago and would love to be on a monthly plan. Offering it to select customers is a stupid idea IMO..its a PR nightmare waiting to happen.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? it doesn't make sense to offer it to everyone since i would never buy prime because i do not do enough shopping on amazon... case in point I paid $13 bucks on 2 days shipping on amazon last month and prime STILL would be a bad deal for me on a yearly basis.

That said maybe people like you who order all the time on amazon where yearly prime is a great deal would be more inclined to buy prime one or two months a year and do all your ordering then thus costing amazon a lot of money.

You know they have to have some kind of algorithm running to see what customers are worth it or not. I mean they would lose their shirts if people who ordered all the time abused the $7.99 monthly deal.

[quote name='lakers2008']does anyone know if I renew my prime will I be charged $39.99? I am a student and have a student account. Or will they charge me the 79?[/QUOTE]

Mine renewed at $39.99, but if I remember there was something about a limit on how many times you could do it for that price...I can't remember for sure though.

[quote name='genkikani']Mine renewed at $39.99, but if I remember there was something about a limit on how many times you could do it for that price...I can't remember for sure though.[/QUOTE]

Up to five years

[quote name='genkikani']Mine renewed at $39.99, but if I remember there was something about a limit on how many times you could do it for that price...I can't remember for sure though.[/QUOTE]

did it auto renew? I'm wondering cuz mine is set to auto renew but i don't know much it is gonna charge me

Clicked on start free trial since ive never done amazon prime yet, it still said it $79 a year then when i clicked the button it brought me here.
KjwUn.jpg

[quote name='confoosious']Hmmmm I think I would definitely opt for 7.99 a month around the holidays instead of paying $80 a year.[/QUOTE]
Welcome back. Not too late to get your thoughts in on the Sony HD Collections thread. It kind of calmed down now, but the arguments the first few days were right up your alley.

[quote name='klimb22']Welcome back. Not too late to get your thoughts in on the Sony HD Collections thread.[/QUOTE]

which thread is that?

[quote name='klimb22']http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331057

I'm kind of surprised there isn't an Amazon Prime "sharing" thing going on here at CAG. If there is I haven't seen it. Then again, e-mail and birth date are probably too much info any one wants to share with strangers.[/QUOTE]

Not sure what's going on in that thread.

The problem with Amazon sharing is that if the other person abuses the hell out of returns and sending out "gifts," everyone who shares that account is perma-banned from Amazon. Nobody wants to risk that.

I think they are offering the $7.99 plan to everyone. If you see the $79 a year plan on the prime home page click on it. There, they should give you the option between choosing the $79 a year or the $7.99 a month.

Has anyone noticed a significant drop in their Prime Service? I am regularly ordering stuff that takes well beyond the 2 day shipping to deliver. I noticed more of their items are becoming fullfilled by a third party as well.

I definitely won't pay the equivalent of Netflix streaming price for a year. Prime's streaming selection is quite small by comparison. They haven't added anything new in like 2 months either.

[quote name='confoosious']Not sure what's going on in that thread.
[/QUOTE]
Are you trolling me? I just can't believe you sat idle and didn't peek in as a guest from time to time.

In short, a lot of "boo hoo, I'm PRO, been a GS customer for X amount of years, spent X amount of $ and I didn't get a coupon, I'm calling corporate, f*** GS" reminiscent of the $200 PS3 offer from the past. Followed by begging. You get the idea.[quote name='confoosious']
The problem with Amazon sharing is that if the other person abuses the hell out of returns and sending out "gifts," everyone who shares that account is perma-banned from Amazon. Nobody wants to risk that.[/QUOTE]
A lot of people learned that lesson the hard way on those shared cell phone plans.

I still don't get the 7.99 offer. When I click on Prime, it brings me to one page and the only option available is $79 - with one button to charge my credit card. Oh well.

bread's done
Back