PvP vs. PvE

marukuzey

CAG Newbie
I just quit on WoW and recently playing Maestia and as far as it goes the game is pretty good but I miss the PvP on WoW even though Maestia also has a PvP but ofc I’m still a “newbie” without any good gears. I’m just wondering what would be the other gamers prefer more on mmorpg games?

PvP or PvE

PVP, easily. I play games for interaction with other players. I don't give a shit about role playing or storyline or whatever PVE entails.

That being said, most PVP in MMO's nowadays is a joke. I wish more MMO's would implement true open-world PVP. I want to go around in a massive world with some buddies and gank random strangers. The last MMO to do this right was Age of Conan, which is sad since the game itself was actually pretty terrible. I'm just tired of the carebear shit we get now that passes for PVP.

I've always been a huge fan of world PvP but I generally dislike the organized/arena stuff as it gets too same-y and inevitably becomes a gear grind.

Kinda like I'm there to play a RPG but I will absolutely kill you should you disrupt my PvE questing.

I prefer PVE simply because MMO's provide an escape and I like to do just that on my own terms. That being said, I've played on a PVP server years ago and open world pvp can be fund as hell. Ganking someone can be a high but it's so frustrating on the other end of it, especially if someone is camping your corpse.

[quote name='SEH']PVP, easily. I play games for interaction with other players. I don't give a shit about role playing or storyline or whatever PVE entails.

That being said, most PVP in MMO's nowadays is a joke. I wish more MMO's would implement true open-world PVP. I want to go around in a massive world with some buddies and gank random strangers. The last MMO to do this right was Age of Conan, which is sad since the game itself was actually pretty terrible. I'm just tired of the carebear shit we get now that passes for PVP.[/QUOTE]
^

PvP.

I enjoy the PvE content as a supplement, but as Han Solo says,

"Good against remotes is one thing. Good against the living, It's something else."

If PVP in MMOs was something more robust and dynamic, I would be all PVP.

Dark Age Of Camelot, EvE Online, Archlord (beta and first release) and Age Of Conan had very interesting and engaging PVP. I would add City Of Heroes Base Raids when it was up and not a total bug fuck.

If PVP actually had an impact in the MMO game world I would be all up in there - maybe even actually pay for the experience - but the current state of PVP is nothing for nothing sake.

I'm a PvE guy mostly. Partly because PvP in MMOs is just about who grinded their gear out faster, and thus even if you have the better skills as a player, you will still lose because the other guy has the higher tier of gear. It's also because lately I just enjoy working WITH people rather than AGAINST them.

problem with pve is that people are so smart nowadays that they figure it out quick, then others just copy and refine it.
and then before you can implement that strategy you need to grind (whether it's for gear or levels or skills) or do other boring repetitive easy stuff.

then with pvp i rather play fighters/rts/dota-type games.

[quote name='marukuzey']I just quit on WoW and recently playing Maestia and as far as it goes the game is pretty good but I miss the PvP on WoW even though Maestia also has a PvP but ofc I’m still a “newbie” without any good gears. I’m just wondering what would be the other gamers prefer more on mmorpg games?

PvP or PvE[/QUOTE]

PVP.

it is like a challenge for myself on my pvp skills knowing that the one you are fighting/dueling with is a real player not npc. knight online is a mmorpg game doesn't have a good graphics but the community is pretty pumped up to pvp. i also played wow but on a private server only but pvp was never boring on wow. i am recently playing maestia and pvp on maestia is also good. btw on what server of maestia are you playing at?

[quote name='leelee_gayah']PVP.

it is like a challenge for myself on my pvp skills knowing that the one you are fighting/dueling with is a real player not npc. knight online is a mmorpg game doesn't have a good graphics but the community is pretty pumped up to pvp. i also played wow but on a private server only but pvp was never boring on wow. i am recently playing maestia and pvp on maestia is also good. btw on what server of maestia are you playing at?[/QUOTE]

i am currently playing on maestia NA version.

I always go PVE because I usually go at a slower pace and mainly like to go around and just explore everywhere, I also like to interact with the other players but I usually do so by joining more social guilds as I like just talking/chatting with everyone while I'm playing.

PVE here :) i am always having fun doing raids with my friends and guildmates! what items you will get from PVE, much stronger you'll become on PVP

[quote name='marukuzey']i am currently playing on maestia NA version.[/QUOTE]

:applause: you have company here :p I am also currently playing @ na server hehe

PVP... More exciting. You know that your opponent is not AI. Your opponent is thinking and adjusting. Unlike NPCs that are predictable and boring. I understand that equip tiers affect the PVP outcome, but still skills is a factor.

[quote name='jamesongkok']PVP... More exciting. You know that your opponent is not AI. Your opponent is thinking and adjusting. Unlike NPCs that are predictable and boring.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Unless AI can do this:
NPC monsters conspiring and planning coordinated attacks.
G90hP.jpg

FYI: The SS was from DOTA 2, creep block using couriers... (fixed already)

I dont really play MMO's typically, but I recently started WarZ. While it is really cool that there is no separate PvP and PvE zones it sucks when you are trying to be peaceful and others arent. The penalty for death is you lose all the gear you are holding, so it makes the moments when you are near another survivor really tense. Unfortunately right now everyone just attacks on sight (unless the dont have a weapon) and assumes you are a bandit.

[quote name='SEH']I want to go around in a massive world with some buddies and gank random strangers. The last MMO to do this right was Age of Conan, which is sad since the game itself was actually pretty terrible.[/QUOTE]

hey! penny got addicted to that game i thought it was good :3

anyway, most MMOs turn into a huge 3D chat room. most users who have reached end game usually just sit somewhere and chat with friends. when they get bored they go raiding or whatever.

other games has some sort of PvP ladder which makes dueling more fun. since the purpose of getting better gears is usually for PvP purposes.

good alternative is that the server would have both PK and non-PK channels - yes, channels, not servers. PK zones are fun for the most time especially when you have mid-high end gears. most of the time, there are jerks who will taunt you but won't fight you in PvP. being in PK zones eliminates that :3

I miss the old UO days of Pre-Trammel. Had so much fun with the PvP in UO. I haven't really seen good PvP in MMO's since Conan either.

It's why FPS/Fighting Games are the new "PvP" to me.

[quote name='SEH']PVP, easily. I play games for interaction with other players. I don't give a shit about role playing or storyline or whatever PVE entails.

That being said, most PVP in MMO's nowadays is a joke. I wish more MMO's would implement true open-world PVP. I want to go around in a massive world with some buddies and gank random strangers. The last MMO to do this right was Age of Conan, which is sad since the game itself was actually pretty terrible. I'm just tired of the carebear shit we get now that passes for PVP.[/QUOTE]

This.

I tried playing The Secret World when it went on sale in October, and I really, really didn't like that there wasn't world PvP. Why even have different factions if there isn't world PvP?

most people play wow because they are great friends with somone but the thing is wow doesnt encourage co-op past the dungeons and raids. it's a big reason why most of the quest pve is pretty bad. also honestly wow's pvp is too moba based. it's all not really part of the gameplay past special modes or even the items you use.

pvp and difficulty aside playing boarderlands or guildwars, i think is the right direction where pvp needs to be for just normal leveling and interacting with people. either you get randomly paired with people in the same area as you or the world is open and everyone works together without a bunch of who gets what 1st. it gets rid of all the kill stealing or camps like seen in EQ and just encourages everyone working on an area.

2 Games I think do PvP perfectly for me:
Demon/Dark Souls
If you don't want to get invaded, don't run around as a human, but you lose out on the benefits that offers. Also, it gives a different set of advantages/disadvantages depending on if you're the one doing the ganking which is an interesting mechanic.

Conquer Online
You could attack anyone you wanted, however, if you are the one that struck the first blow, you'd be marked as a free kill for anyone else for a set amount of time and guards in towns would kill you if you tried to enter while in this "flashing target" mode. Also, if you actually killed the person you'd accrue a PvP point. Once you got enough of those you'd become a permanent target and could drop your gear when you'd die. Through your gameplay choices the game would cater itself more towards you. You want open PvP with gear dropping when you kill people? Keep on ganking. Don't want to PvP? Well tough shit its in the game, but at least you'll always have a chance to defend yourself and others will come to your aid against a free "open" target if you get attacked unprovoked.

Cutthroat league in Path of Exile is also great. Its basically Diablo 2 except everyone is permanently hostile.

bread's done
Back