* * * * * 2 votes

Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

#61 renique46   CAGiversary! Silenced   2692 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

renique46

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:12 AM

Anyone get a beta code yet? They're given out today.

Everyone got it since these dumbasses at Namco thought a universal code that could be shared online would be a good idea, so now the beta is full cause its possible people that didnt even get invited got in anyway since they just simply looked online. Such a botch.

#62 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4663 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

The beta was smooth. Managed to beat both bosses and fully explore the entire area. I felt the bosses and the level itself were both very disappointing in difficulty. The BP npcs and the surprising number of ambushes did make it interesting though.  Thank you From Soft for giving fans an extra hour to play. The great axe and Zwei were fantastic in this beta. Dual wielding swords was also fun, especially dual great-swords. Invaders could not recover from the onslaught. I invaded myself during the last 20mins  and got treated to lovely hate mail as people perished while trying to finish up their runs before the server went off.

*For last round of beta testing. Namco sent me another invite via psn. lol

#63 Feeding the Abscess   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3251 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Feeding the Abscess

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

The time-limited summoning has really soured me on Dark Souls II (why mess with the multiplayer aspect? Seriously). The gameplay won't be vastly different, and if I wanted to run through a Souls game mostly solo, I'd just go pick up Demon's or Dark and play those, rather than pay to play a third version of what is essentially the same game.

Looks like I'll be waiting for this one to be a clearance title. Oh well.

#64 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4663 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 27 October 2013 - 07:48 AM

Got in through my EU client.Trying to enjoy the game, but reading the rage and tears from other forums is just hilarious. Even though I got in, we can only play SP. Can't summon or invade, lame. I just spent my time playing around with the magic side of things.

Beta is cancelled for NA/SA players. They will reschedule.

#65 renique46   CAGiversary! Silenced   2692 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

renique46

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

Scamco at its finest, what a waste of time. Definitely the worst possible beta Ive seen this console generation.

#66 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11131 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 27 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

Yep, stated up till 1:00 and finally gave up and went to bed after 40 minutes of failing to log in.

#67 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4663 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 29 October 2013 - 02:49 AM

We have confirmed the times for the next round of the Dark Souls II PS3 Network Test

11:00 PM PST 11/9/13 - 2:00 AM PST 11/10/13
2:00 AM EST 11/10/13 - 5:00 AM EST 11/10/13

All participants of previous rounds will be allowed in and there is still space to join the next round.

Entering the code in the PlayStation Network allows you to download the client: 38QQ-8DNE-97AA

#68 SnoT   Twat Twat? CAGiversary!   501 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:24 AM

If you have an EU account that was invited or an EU account with PS+ the beta is live again.

#69 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4663 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:21 AM

I would have been playing if I wasn't ransacking Walmart that night, lol. Anyway I'm just going to help out friends and pvp again.

#70 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11131 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 10 November 2013 - 06:27 PM

So did it work this time or did Lucy pull away the football again?

#71 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4663 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 10 November 2013 - 08:20 PM

It worked. They even tested out a new "high difficulty" mode on the servers. Was pretty funny as my friends and I were about to fight Skeleton Lord when they made the change.

#72 ChalupaBatman   Bruce Willy CAGiversary!   4119 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

ChalupaBatman

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

Finally got another copy of Dark Souls so I can play through the expansion. 

Jesus I'm rusty! Can't even beat the Hydra to get to the Crystal Golem, I think I've died 7 times already. Every time I get to the last head he always comes down somewhere I can't reach him and when I try I keep falling into the water and die. Fuck I love this game. 

#73 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4663 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:07 AM

"From Software rules out Dark Souls 2 DLC and the series won't be going free-to-play any time soon, either."

Dark Souls 2 will not receive any post-launch DLC, the game's producer has suggested, stating that From Software wants to deliver "the full experience to fans who purchase the package from day one".

Discussing the idea of additional content with EDGE, Takeshi Miyazoe said: "For Dark Souls 2, we don't even expect any additional downloadable content because we want to deliver a full game, the full experience, to fans who purchase the package from day one."

From Software developed a single expansion pack for the original Dark Souls – Artorias of the Abyss - but Miyazoe says that "generally downloadable content for Dark Souls II is not really being considered. Buy the package and you'll get the full experience, and you'll have as much fun as anybody else."

From doesn't expect a free-to-play Dark Souls title to release any time soon either, despite publisher Namco Bandai's current trend of spinning off their major brands into free-to-play titles.

"Not yet, and not for a while I think," continued Miyazoe, discussing the idea of F2P. "It's one of our bigger IPs right now, but it's a new IP, so I think it's too young to go free-to-play. And with Dark Souls I think it would be hard to monetise in that way. Pay per death? That would be terrible. From Software especially don't want to allow players to pay for an advantage."

Dark Souls 2 launches on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on March 14, 2013, with a PC version following shortly after.

#74 Jodou   Infamous CAGiversary!   13461 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

My god, between From and CD Projeckt I think I have personal gaming heroes again.  Is it coincidence that two of my favorite game franchises are from devs that understand gamers and don't try to Fuck them over with DLC and DRM?

#75 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:10 PM

This reminded me that I need to make sure I complete Dragon's Dogma soon-ish so that there's a nice break between it and Dark Souls 2.  They're similar enough yet different enough that playing them back-to-back would just not work, I think.

#76 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11131 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

This went online a couple of days ago, but I didn't figure it was worth bumping the thread for, but since it's bumped anyway...

Dark Souls II: A Live Action Event (teaser trailer) coming in 2014

#77 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4663 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:50 AM

Dark Souls II: Cursed Trailer

===============

Dark Souls 2 Achievements/Trophy list is now available.

Its mostly the same as the original Dark Souls list. Read at your own discretion. 

#78 gaviles88   (fake)no0b gamer CAGiversary!   50 Posts   Joined 4.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:54 AM

Still remember calling game stops and being told "demon souls, never heard of it. Oh my manager said we only got 2 in, both preorders". Eventually got the last one at a gamestop 20 min away. None of my "hardcore gaming" friends heard of it and were amazed. Couldn't get past the first boss LOL.

Getting a platinum trophy in demons souls was my greatest gaming achievement. Marrowstone chunk farming...good times

#79 Kia-Tiaph   Laser Orchestra Empress CAGiversary!   914 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

This reminded me that I need to make sure I complete Dragon's Dogma soon-ish so that there's a nice break between it and Dark Souls 2.  They're similar enough yet different enough that playing them back-to-back would just not work, I think.

Just started playing it. I managed to build a pretty decent Guts and I really hope I'll find a sword similar to his Doragonsureiyā.

#80 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Just started playing it. I managed to build a pretty decent Guts and I really hope I'll find a sword similar to his Doragonsureiyā.

I've really really enjoyed it.  Finished NG and went to Bitterblack Isle (the new content from Dark Arisen) and played through that twice plus NG+.  I think I've just about wrapped up what I want to do, though I'd love to get an online Ur Dragon kill (the grace period never seems to happen when I'm at home and awake).

#81 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4663 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

More details on Dark Souls 2 PvP 

"In Dark Souls 2, no player will be safe. From Software will allow anyone - Hollow or Human - to be invaded. In other words, prepare to die. "

Much of this was learned from the beta including Soapstones having time limits. Also, a fan translated the JP website. Gives details on SP.

#82 guardian_owl   Keeper of the CAG Shrine CAGiversary!   11131 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

guardian_owl

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

It's funny that as the series has progressed the distinction between soul form and body form has become less and less meaningful.

#83 Backlash   www.thecoverproject.net CAGiversary!   4792 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:10 PM

Yeah.  I think I prefer Demon's version to Dark's version.  It was a real choice back then, especially since it was harder to become human IMO (humanity seems more plentiful then the Stones of Ephemeral Eyes or whatever they were called).

#84 Kazaganthi   Blue Rogue CAGiversary!   1947 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

In other words, prepare to sign out of PSN before booting game up.

#85 Kamagii   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3392 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:23 AM

Welp there goes me ever wanting to play the game online.

#86 Kia-Tiaph   Laser Orchestra Empress CAGiversary!   914 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:41 AM

There have to be some restrictions on that, like only hollows can invade hollows, right? It can't possibly be balanced if you have to fight a human as a hollow with a health penalty. I'd play it offline, but I really don't want to miss out on the message system, especially not this time, when I'll finally have the chance to experience everything together with everyone else day one.

#87 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4663 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:57 AM

There have to be some restrictions on that, like only hollows can invade hollows, right?

In the beta, there were no restrictions. Also, people can join the Way of the Blue covenant and a Blue Sentinel will aid you when you are invaded. 

#88 Kia-Tiaph   Laser Orchestra Empress CAGiversary!   914 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:13 AM

Ouch! I really hope they fixed up the net code, because summoning took ages for me in DS1. Dropped connections left and right.

#89 Supplice   Hi-Fi CAGiversary!   4663 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Supplice

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

I only skimmed the video but, reiterating they have a dedicated server just like Demon's Souls, more parameters in matchmaking than beta, and character customization.

#90 JakeM17   Semper Fi CAGiversary!   832 Posts   Joined 5.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

This guy played a couple hours of the game at the Namco Bandai office and talks a little bit about the beginning of the game. I didn't watch it as i don't wanna know any spoilers.

He has a bunch of other Dark Souls related videos too.