PSP core pack $99 at Target

Kenshindono

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
searched and saw mention of these hitting 99 bucks at Amazon and stuff at the begining of the month and one on walmart having them. Just thought id mention that i noticed they were marked at $99 at Target today when i was in there picking up a copy of Adventure time.

Is this just the new MSRP for the PSP's or a temporary drop? Im considering buying a backup but dont know if i should wait a bit longer. I held of on DS lites back in the day and didn't get an extra black one because of it =(

[quote name='Kenshindono']searched and saw mention of these hitting 99 bucks at Amazon and stuff at the begining of the month and one on walmart having them. Just thought id mention that i noticed they were marked at $99 at Target today when i was in there picking up a copy of Adventure time.

Is this just the new MSRP for the PSP's or a temporary drop? Im considering buying a backup but dont know if i should wait a bit longer. I held of on DS lites back in the day and didn't get an extra black one because of it =([/QUOTE]

They are still $129 on the sony style website but AZ, Walmart and Target all have them for ~ $99.

Not many other retailers in my area carry them anymore. Sears and Kmart have clearanced them out and the only PSP's I've seen at TRU in my area are the dead PSP Go's

[quote name='GBAstar']They are still $129 on the sony style website but AZ, Walmart and Target all have them for ~ $99.

Not many other retailers in my area carry them anymore. Sears and Kmart have clearanced them out and the only PSP's I've seen at TRU in my area are the dead PSP Go's[/QUOTE]

Havent seen PSp Go since Sears clear it out

If target clearanced it, should see about waiting until next week where it could easily drop to 50 or 30 dollars (may not happen right a week later, just best to always check). I had bought a digital camera not long ago for 30 dollars, the week before I had bought it, it was 99. Just a thought.

Targets still have these left? Pretty sure mine hasn't had any PSP's for almost a year now. Thought the clearanced them a while back too. Are they getting more in stock across the board or something?

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Could be going out. Can't find PS2s new anymore here either, so my guess is PSP is next...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Japan stopped production of the PlayStation 2.

[quote name='HyperG']If target clearanced it, should see about waiting until next week where it could easily drop to 50 or 30 dollars (may not happen right a week later, just best to always check). I had bought a digital camera not long ago for 30 dollars, the week before I had bought it, it was 99. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='JKSonic']Targets still have these left? Pretty sure mine hasn't had any PSP's for almost a year now. Thought the clearanced them a while back too. Are they getting more in stock across the board or something?[/QUOTE]

These aren't on clearance. It's just a price drop from $129 or $119 to $99.

The actually are still in production; the newer ones are in blue and white packaging where the original PSP 3000's are in yellow and white packaging.

It is possible that Target will no longer carry them and they will eventually hit a clearance but I do not think that the $99 pricing is a clearance price.

I never understood why the PSP wasn't more successful. The graphics are awesome on the system and are even better than the 3DS. Plus the game library is a lot stronger than the DS's, particularly if you like Japanese RPGs. I love the DS, but the PSP beats it in every way. Too bad SquareEnix isn't bringing that Final Fantasy game that came out last year over here.

[quote name='tuffguycore']So, I just ordered a Vita, at this point, are most of the games digital, or should I still look into a PSP for some stuff?[/QUOTE]

Many games are digital. Research to see what games you want and see if they are on the PlayStation store.

[quote name='highoffcoffee496']Many games are digital. Research to see what games you want and see if they are on the PlayStation store.[/QUOTE]

Most of the ones I'm interested in are, there's just a few strange more obscure stuff I hadn't dug too deep on. I'll do some research, I know I can get a 1000 used from GS for cheap enough at this point that I might just bite the bullet for some hard copies.

[quote name='Gosha']Im hoping tru clearances off the go soon. They have like 3 white ones at my local store at like 160.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware they sold standalone white PSPs. The only ones I know of that were sold white in the US were from the Assassin's Creed bundle a few years back.

[quote name='gutter2d']Plus the game library is a lot stronger than the DS's, particularly if you like Japanese RPGs. I love the DS, but the PSP beats it in every way.[/QUOTE]

I've owned every model of PSP and still own a 3000 and PSP Go, and I realize your statement is subjective, but in no way did the PSP have a stronger library than the DS.

As long as it's for a 2000 or 3000 model it doesn't seem like a bad deal. There are tons of great games that you can get for cheap. It's also a much cheaper alternative to a Vita.

[quote name='maximumzero']I wasn't aware they sold standalone white PSPs. The only ones I know of that were sold white in the US were from the Assassin's Creed bundle a few years back.[/QUOTE]

White PSP Gos, not 3000.

[quote name='gutter2d']I never understood why the PSP wasn't more successful. The graphics are awesome on the system and are even better than the 3DS. Plus the game library is a lot stronger than the DS's, particularly if you like Japanese RPGs. I love the DS, but the PSP beats it in every way. Too bad SquareEnix isn't bringing that Final Fantasy game that came out last year over here.[/QUOTE]
PSP has an awful library compared to the DS, especially if you like JRPG's

Heck, the PSP has an awful library compared to the DS no matter what type of game you're looking for

I like my PSP but I understand it's limitations

[quote name='tuffguycore']Most of the ones I'm interested in are, there's just a few strange more obscure stuff I hadn't dug too deep on. I'll do some research, I know I can get a 1000 used from GS for cheap enough at this point that I might just bite the bullet for some hard copies.[/QUOTE]

Avoid the 1000 and pick up a 2000 or 3000. I've owned all 3 and the 1000 is thicker, heavier, and less efficient battery. Possibly worst of all are the d-pad and buttons (the right key and the square button) which seem to recede improperly.

I for one love the PSP library in general, and I think GameStop is still running a buy 2 get 1 free deal on used stuff. Just do your research and you'll find a lot of PSP gems :)

[quote name='Jaysonguy']PSP has an awful library compared to the DS, especially if you like JRPG's

Heck, the PSP has an awful library compared to the DS no matter what type of game you're looking for

I like my PSP but I understand it's limitations[/QUOTE]

Well its all opinion in the end. I think the PSP blows away the gimmicky DS in every way, in terms of hardware and games too. To each his own.

I also think $100 is a great price for a PSP 3000; there's a huge library of great games on UMD or digitally.

[quote name='GBAstar']These aren't on clearance. It's just a price drop from $129 or $119 to $99.

The actually are still in production; the newer ones are in blue and white packaging where the original PSP 3000's are in yellow and white packaging.

It is possible that Target will no longer carry them and they will eventually hit a clearance but I do not think that the $99 pricing is a clearance price.[/QUOTE]

This. I should have clarified they were NOT clearanced, it had a regular $99 price tag on it

[quote name='gutter2d']I never understood why the PSP wasn't more successful. The graphics are awesome on the system and are even better than the 3DS. Plus the game library is a lot stronger than the DS's, particularly if you like Japanese RPGs. I love the DS, but the PSP beats it in every way. Too bad SquareEnix isn't bringing that Final Fantasy game that came out last year over here.[/QUOTE]

well it was pretty successfull in other markets, just not in the US. My guess is that, other than the piracy issue, the UMD format was just terrible. The hardware was also kinda fragile. Mine gives me the 'are you sure you want to quit' message all the time when im trying to play it. Its been doing it since i first used the damn thing almost and makes playing an action game pretty much impossible. Ive tried to find a solution but every post ive seen about it has no real solution at all. I think its either the disc tray isn't seated right or the reader is just messed up

Anyway.. im still on the fence on whether to get one or not. I saw the post about the new ones being in a blue package. I find that kinda interesting. Has anyone actually seen one like that? I may want to get one in the newer packaging if thats the case. Would be sweet if i could PM at best buy since i have a bunch of certificates with them. Are they still PM'ing retailers? Do they even still carry PSP's?

[quote name='gutter2d']I never understood why the PSP wasn't more successful. The graphics are awesome on the system and are even better than the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

Have you even played a 3ds? Resident evil revelations looks like an early 360 game and even the other games look great like MGS:Snake eater and Kid Icarus.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']Great deal, but with Black Friday 2013 around the corner, I may have to just bide my time.[/QUOTE]
???

I have one of the white Darth Vader PSPs. Loved it. As far as the talk on the system's library. I don't care what anybody says. Its library, for me, was amazing. The RPG and SRPG selection was awesome. I loved having Disgaea on the go. Put close to 100 hours on the first one. Final Fantasy Tactics was crazy good with the re-written dialogue. Joan of Arc? Rocked. VC2? Rocked. Persona 1, 2 and 3? Come on, man. And that was just the tip of the iceberg.

It failed in the US because of the piracy problems (a retarded monkey in a third class zoo could do it...in fact, I think some did) and the stupid, stupid UMD format.

That said...you can get UMDs of awesome games on the super cheap now.

I dunno...if you can catch the Vita on another sale like what was offered on Black Friday, I think you are better off spending the extra money. Get the best of both worlds.

[quote name='MrBonk']the PSP has a FANTASTIC underappreciated library. I've owned 3 PSPs since launch day and a ton of games. I

[quote name='ubdu']You must have super sensitive eyes. I have a red GOW PSP 2000 and a Ratchet & Clank 3000, and they're pretty much identical in screen display to me![/QUOTE]
It's incredibly easy to see the issues with the 3000 display(At least for me. I have cursed eyes). And I wish it wasn't that way. Because the response time is fantastic.
If my 2nd 1k didn't break 2 years ago because of some crappy replacement part that didn't fit, i'd still use that for the majority of stuff. I'm planning on getting a Go here one day just to see if it solves my screen issues and is as good as they say.

Want to see it close up, here you go
courtesy of Eurogamer

https://images.eurogamer.net/2011/articles//a/1/4/2/5/3/1/7/3000_1.JPG.jpg

Notice the Sawtoothing like edges instead of sharp pixel shaped ones

Compare that to
PSP-1k https://images.eurogamer.net/2011/articles//a/1/4/2/5/3/1/7/1000_1.JPG.jpg
PSP-E1k https://images.eurogamer.net/2011/articles//a/1/4/2/5/3/1/7/E_1000_1.JPG.jpg

[quote name='Jaysonguy']PSP has an awful library compared to the DS, especially if you like JRPG's

Heck, the PSP has an awful library compared to the DS no matter what type of game you're looking for[/QUOTE]

PSP has a smaller library for sure, but it by no means has an "aweful" library. I own about 70 games for it, and the vast majority of them are quite good. A few off the top of my head:

Badman series (aka. "What did I do to deserve this, My Lord!?" 1&2 and "No Heroes Allowed)
Brave Story: New Traveler
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Daxter
Dead Head Fred
Disgaea 1, 2, and Infinite
Dissidia: Final Fantasy 1 and 2
Fate/Extra
Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection
Gods Eater Burst
Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of Time
Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
Half-Minute Hero
Hexyz Force
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
Medievil Resurrection
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
Persona 1, 2 (Innocent Sin), and 3
Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2
Popolocois
Prinny 1 and 2
Star Ocean 1 and 2
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Ultimate Ghost 'N Goblins
Valkyria Chronicles 2
Ys I + II , Oath in Felghana, and Seven
Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger vs. Darkdeath Evilman

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Could be going out. Can't find PS2s new anymore here either, so my guess is PSP is next...[/QUOTE]

I'm positive that PSP production for North America has been ceased for quite a while now.

[quote name='Nintendonly']I'm positive that PSP production for North America has been ceased for quite a while now.[/QUOTE]

No. If that was true why is their new packaging (Blue instead of Yellow)?

In fact I have one in front of me and the outside box says :MFR DATE 09/09/12

[quote name='xenozfan2']Have you even played a 3ds? Resident evil revelations looks like an early 360 game and even the other games look great like MGS:Snake eater and Kid Icarus.[/QUOTE]

Don't mean to defend the other guy but the vast majority of games on the 3DS look like N64-Dreamcast graphics level. There are few exceptions like RE Revelations and some others what look like original Xbox. It's weird how the 3DS can scale like that.

[quote name='slidecage']99 seems like a good price could see them falling to 49 bucks thanksgiving 2013 though[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't the PSP be msrp $49.69 right now??

gonna ask again.. are you guys sure they have a newer PSP core in the blue packaging? I have NOT seen one anywhere. Just the white and brown one for the core. I was gonna pick one up i think but want to verify these exist before i just pick a regular pack up.

Also. Anyone know if BBY carries them anymore? I cant find them on the website and saw none at my local store

Several (a few) months ago I picked up a blue-packaged Cars2/FIFA12 bundle on clearance at my local Target for... $100?

I know it's a blue-box bundle and not core, but I was pretty happy with the price, as a first-time-ever PSP owner, and the game library isn't bad at all (and certainly very cheap now overall, too). Added bonus, my two kids have no idea I have it, so they aren't begging me to play it (they each have DSes and access to Mom's iPad, which helps).

[quote name='Kenshindono']gonna ask again.. are you guys sure they have a newer PSP core in the blue packaging? I have NOT seen one anywhere. Just the white and brown one for the core. I was gonna pick one up i think but want to verify these exist before i just pick a regular pack up.

Also. Anyone know if BBY carries them anymore? I cant find them on the website and saw none at my local store[/QUOTE]

Yes. I am 100% positive. I haven't seen any in retail stores but the one I ordered from Amazon.com came that way and it had a September 2012 build date.

This was for a PSP-3000 core model

[quote name='chimpmeister']Well its all opinion in the end. I think the PSP blows away the gimmicky DS in every way, in terms of hardware and games too. To each his own.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Ghost Of Sparta, alone, proves that comment.

[quote name='vince_carter']are these moddable to play homebrew games ?[/QUOTE]

partially. custom firmware is temporary on newer PSPs, going away at power off.

but some homebrew has been signed to work even on pure sony 6.60 as if mods never existed.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Finding these things used at a Gamestop is a hard search in of itself. I thought with the Vita everybody would be dumping them.[/QUOTE]

They probably would have if the Vita let you play UMDs.

[quote name='theclaw']partially. custom firmware is temporary on newer PSPs, going away at power off.

but some homebrew has been signed to work even on pure sony 6.60 as if mods never existed.[/QUOTE]
This.

Most older models are perma CFW capable.

[quote name='jaysonguy']psp has an awful library compared to the ds, especially if you like jrpg's

heck, the psp has an awful library compared to the ds no matter what type of game you're looking for[/quote]

u r wrong

Ohhhhhhhhhhh.........:hot:!!!!!!!! I have seen the light!

I have a Sandisk 16GB MicroSD card in my PSP 1000 with a Pro Duo (bought mine cheap on eBay....or you can check Cowboom.com). I have seen other 16GB MicroSD cards for around(as cheap as...months ago) $7.99 on eBay.

Next time someone posts a Best Buy buy 2 get 1 free PSP games deal on here, buy some! Even if you don't have a PSP, yet!:D

Not sure how the 2,000/3,000 memory cards work, but here are some links:

16GB Micro SD Card Kits(includes Pro Duo Adapter)/ US Sellers

$13.95 http://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-MICROS...gital_Camera_Memory_Cards&hash=item43b7327075

$14.50 http://www.ebay.com/itm/16GB-MICRO-...gital_Camera_Memory_Cards&hash=item43b7327078

32GB Micro SD Cards/US Sellers

$14.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/32-gb-micro-sd-card-/281046329245?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item416faaa79d

$14.99 http://www.ebay.com/itm/32GB-MICRO-...281285?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3f20908305

Pro Duo Adapters/1st Seller US, 2nd Seller Hong Kong

$2.42 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-SD-SD...gital_Camera_Memory_Cards&hash=item3a7a4e89b2

$1.29 http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Micro-S...ory_Card_Readers_Adapters&hash=item43b26b3471

Portable Charger For Your USB Device/s(remember to take your cord/s!)/US Seller

$3.45 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-USB-E...83380?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item58952ea214

2 in 1 USB Charger Cable/US Seller

$2.27 http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2-in-1-...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item35c138610b

Seriously tempted in picking one of these up... Do they ever have really good deals on PSP games? Like 5 bucks and under?

I look at it this way.

I currently have a PS Vita. I could buy a game I want from the vita store for full price which is what? 20 or 25 bucks? 4 digital PSP games on the vita store at full price is the cost of a PSP practically. So if I could get PSP games cheap then I would be saving money in the long run depending on how many digital PSP games I would have bought....

I think I have a sickness....

My current systems that I own
PS2, PS3, PS Vita, Nintendo Gameboy, Nintendo 64, Game Cube, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo Wii U, Xbox 360, Neo Geo X Gold, Game Gear.

13 freaking gaming systems!!!

[quote name='TheOpusFuller']Seriously tempted in picking one of these up... Do they ever have really good deals on PSP games? Like 5 bucks and under?[/QUOTE]If you've got a Five Below store nearby, it might be worth a visit. The store around here has about a dozen different PSP titles to choose from for $5 each.

bread's done
Back