CAGcast #310: Tor-so Crazy

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]Cheapy and Wombat talk Disney Infinity, Dead Island torsos, and oh so much more.

Get your questions or topics answered on future shows via CAGbag or Twitter.

This episode is sponsored by Ting

[podcast]219[/podcast]
Download (1 hour 10 minutes) - Subscribe - Review
[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: 1812 Overture - Don't Drown Your Food PSA

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Last edited by a moderator:
I havent listened to this episode yet but I'm interested to hear your opinions on the Dead Island torso. A lot of people cried about it and I think a lot of people are whiny bitches. Now to listen to the show! ...So listened to the show and yeah I agree with everything about it (it's useless and such) but I still feel like people are whiny bitches. It's probably for the best since it would have sold pretty bad I imagine.

I really missed Shipwreck in this episode. I feel like so much information was mentioned yet none of it was really deeply discussed like usual. Somewhat reminds me of scrolling through headlines on a news site without reading the articles.

The Dead Island torso is interesting to me, because it's such a unique thing to put in a collector's edition, but it's not something that anyone should really own or display. If it had a head on it (zombie bust), I could understand it. I still give them props for creativity, even if it wasn't well thought out.

If TAC had a member (in the phallus sense of the word) I think CheapyD would have been deep throating it during that commercial. This isn't to say I wouldn't be there all the time if I had a facility like that near my home whether in Japan or in America. The TAC looks like a 5 star resort.

dead-island-riptide.jpg

I have a watch this bitches recommendation for CAG: ParaNorman. I had absolutely ZERO expectations when it arrived in the red Netflix envelope. I didn't remember even putting it into my queue--or even that it had existed at all--yet here it was and I had the choice to either watch it or sling it back onto the mail pile. Wow, just wow. ParaNorman is very funny and contains great messages about friendship, youth, bullying and prejudice. Without spoiling; I've gotta say that the 'candy vending machine' scene is spit out your popcorn funny. I'd recommend ParaNorman to anyone.

You guys make me want to exercise. I listen to the CAGcast while I run, and after I'm done I stop it until the next day. So I get to listen to about 20 minutes each day but wanting to hear more of your show helps motivate me to go for another run the next day. So thank you guys for helping me get in shape!

You guys arent the only ones who enjoy Ultimate Spiderman. I like it more than Spectacular though I would be okay with less of his friend superheroes being in it. Though as for why it switched to Ultimate from Spectacular, it may have been more of an acquisition reason over sales.

Thanks for linking that video, chinoev - it definitely lived up to the hype. :)

Don't feel too bad, Cheapy. You came across well in the video, and at least you didn't assault my eyes with a horrifying soulpatch like that other dude. My nightmare machine has been refueled!

Jeez Cheapy I know you've mentioned your "giraffe neck" before but i never really noticed it till this Tokyo American Club vid. Like seriously man why do you keep moving your head around, is that a stability issue or what? Either way you're freaking me out. And when he mentions his son the whole time I'm thinkning, Jesus how was this guy able to reproduce? Anyway thanks for the nightmares Wombat. I really dig these CagCast Classics but lets make sure to bring back the Red Headed Stranger for next week, I like hearing about videogames on my videogame podcasts. Hugs and kisses, good show as always guys.

The main reason it is so unsettling is it looks more like a dismembered human corpse then a dismembered zombi-fied corpse and that it is of a scantily clad women. If you just saw that on someone's shelf without knowing it was tied to dead island, would you think it is the corpse of a zombie or the victim of a horror movie slasher?

Wombat's right, you mention Tokyo American Club quite often. It's not a judgment or meant to disparage, it's just a statement of fact.

There is room for a silly spiderman series, but as Wombat said, many are just annoyed that spectacular spiderman had to die for silly spiderman to live. It wasn't lack of viewership that caused it to be canceled, it was a matter of the spiderman license transferring back to marvel so they squashed the one produced by Sony in favor of one completely produced by marvel animation instead. They could have continued to let the old series run its course or run both in parallel, but they chose to just snuff out a quality program in favor of a program of less quality in the opinion of many viewers.

Daily Show did a piece just yesterday about the NRA's efforts to deball the ATF (for example, due to a rule inserted into the patriot act by an NRA crony, the ATF hasn't been able to have a permanent director in SIX fuckING YEARS). They are also responsible for that ban on research you mentioned.

The DmC situation is complicated. It's more than just older fans being upset by the hair. It's more that fans may have preferred one direction over another. The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon being replaced by Ultimate Spider-Man is a good comparison. Sure, both shows star the same character, but they differ in tone and style. Some fans would have preferred another season of Spectacular Spider-Man over this new series, just like some fans may have preferred Devil May Cry 5 over the reboot.

This is the second straight episode that loops(repeats) for me I use pocket casts app on android to download but even through the direct link it does it, any one having issues?

For some reason every time I pictured TAC I imagined this recreation center with a few old couches and a "lousy" foosball table in the middle of a desolate room. This place looks ridiculously nice. Congrats Cheapy for being in the video.

On the subject of Disney Infinity, I don't see how the market has room for both this and Skylanders and I mean that literally. TRU is trying to clearance out all the first generation Skylanders because they don't have room in their stores for all the figures. I can't imagine what Shipwreck's Target is going to look like when both Disney and Skylanders figures are taking up all that valuable Vita shelf space!

(Oh, and Wombat, I don't know when you guys recorded this show but Daemon from IGN said "Should have been called...Disneylanders" in a post on January 15th. Sorry. I laughed harder when you said it though, honest.)

I'm glad you hear you guys like Ultimate Spider-Man. I avoided it initially because of all the negative feedback surrounding it but I quite enjoy it as well. It gives me a 90s Nickelodeon cartoon vibe (ala Ren and Stimpy or Rocco's Modern Life) with all the cutaway gags.

(One more thing Wombat, if you ever want to start playing Dead Island, I'd love to be part of a CAG night. I've had the game for months and never opened it but don't want to just jump online with a bunch of overleveled strangers since I have no idea what I'm doing. I'd rather play with others that are just starting for the first time.)

As someone who currently lives in Rochester and who went to school in Albany, thanks for the extra special sad shout-out to start the show. I agree with Cheapy though, Rochester is slightly better if only because the chance of being mugged on the street is marginally lower, as is the crushing feeling of a metropolis slowly eroding under the weight of its citizens' apathy. Plus, there's a dollar movie theater nearby!

Hey, you guys finally asked my CAGbag question! Thanks! Anyway, I completely agree with you Wombat, about there not really being too many I'm looking forward to this year, with the exception of BioShock: Infinite, LEGO Marvel, and DmC, which I just picked up this week. Honestly, I can't think of too many that are coming out FOR SURE this year for 360 that I want. If Dragon Age III is actually coming out for 360, add that to the list for sure. If not...I dunno, I've got plenty in my back log. Maybe this is a sign of the next gen consoles coming this fall, or at least that the publishers feel the same way, that they have no idea how things are panning out. Or that it is just far too early in the new year for us to know with any sense of certainty. Would love Shipwreck to give his picks when he gets back next week. Great show as always, guys.

I feel like I'm alone in why the Dead Island torso thing is a big deal at all....It's like totally whatever to me considering how violent the game is. But like I don't see why this is news at all. at all. Oh well.

And I want to thank Wombat for his advice on Dishonored he gave Shipwreck last week. It was perfect. I have had dishonored since black friday and barely touched it because I was afraid of "doing it wrong" etc, but Wombat's advice of "just don't worry about it, just do it" made sense to me and now I'm loving the game. Thanks!

Best part of my week guys, Thanks! It felt wrong without shipwreck even though I have been listening to the show since before he joined the CAGcast. Great show regardless, and definitely stopping by the tokyo american club on my trip this summer.

Late game of the year feedback - Cheapy you should really try Sleeping Dogs. I just finished it and it's a great combo between the seriousness of a GTA IV and the ridiculousness of Saints Row. Plus takes place in Hong Kong. Really fun open world crime game with a focus on hand to hand combat. Would be curious to hear what you think.

I don't know if Cheapy played DMC 3, and I'm sure he never finished it, but it actually had a simple, well told story. I'm also waiting for DmC to go on sale on Steam since the console versions only run at 30 fps.

As a Flyers fan I'm pretty happy with how the lockout turned out. Now the owner/GM can't make sign any more crazy, long contracts like the 14-year deal they offered to Weber, and they can buy out Bryzgalov with no salary cap hit if he fails again this season.

[quote name='DavidCStason']Late game of the year feedback - Cheapy you should really try Sleeping Dogs. I just finished it and it's a great combo between the seriousness of a GTA IV and the ridiculousness of Saints Row. Plus takes place in Hong Kong. Really fun open world crime game with a focus on hand to hand combat. Would be curious to hear what you think.[/QUOTE]
I'm almost sure that Cheapy has played Sleeping Dogs, at least a little. I remember him talking about how nice it looked on PC.
Yeah, I just checked his Steam profile; he's played 8 hours of it.

[quote name='AshesofWake']I feel like I'm alone in why the Dead Island torso thing is a big deal at all....It's like totally whatever to me considering how violent the game is. But like I don't see why this is news at all. at all. Oh well.

And I want to thank Wombat for his advice on Dishonored he gave Shipwreck last week. It was perfect. I have had dishonored since black friday and barely touched it because I was afraid of "doing it wrong" etc, but Wombat's advice of "just don't worry about it, just do it" made sense to me and now I'm loving the game. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I think some of the comments from other websites about the DI torso are pretentious and hypocritical. But, everyone seems to have it wrong about the torso itself. The CE is called the "Zombie Bait" edition. That's not a zombie torso, that's a recently dismembered woman. Chum for zombies. Does that make it worse?

I agree on Dishonored, too. It's a game that once it clicks, it clicks.

I liked all of the comic show and movie talk at the beginning. I also am a big fan of the DC movies. I've not watched the Avengers or Ultimate Spiderman shows yet though. I've started reading the Spiderman comics again since there is a big thing going on at the moment since Marvel's big reboot thingy, pretty interesting.

The Disney Infinity thing...

I thought it would be cool if a Marvel or DC game would come out with this type of platform...

Hrm... GI Joe action figures and vehicles? I wonder who would play that...

[quote name='guardian_owl']The main reason it is so unsettling is it looks more like a dismembered human corpse then a dismembered zombi-fied corpse and that it is of a scantily clad women.[/QUOTE]

Up until that last bit, I thought this post was about the cheapyD video.

Well, it's good that Wombat went and talked about the Wii CheapyD, because you would have done the Karaoke for the Wii and avoid the whole anger scenario that you have with the Xbox 360 Karaoke game. Also, surprisingly that XSEED announced that Pandora's Tower, a Japan Wii exclusive game will come to the US in the Spring, which gives you a reason to pick up the Wii because with the Wii U, Wii games are all but gone and all of a sudden, there is another Wii game to pick up since the Wii U is able to play Wii games.

I wanted to hear your opinions on smartphones because Japan is bursting with cell phone technology or as I like to called it, Metropolis Tech City. Has there been a game for a mobile device that you either love or hate?

Honestly, if you can't see what is wrong with this torso garbage then you probably need to reevaluate your views on female portrayals in media especially in video games. It's pretty easy to dismiss legitimate arguments against this when you decide to be thickheaded about it.

Let me preface this by saying, I like Shipwreck and think he ads another dimension to the show. Now then, it was good to hear Cheapy and Wombat together. It reminds me of when I first starting listening to the Cagcast. You guys are just very natural together and i enjoy listening. Now to watch the TAC video.

I can just see Dead or Alive taking notes on this torso controversy. "Add a head", "No blood", "Add arms", "Add butt" bingo! We got a bust for next DoA CE!!!

I'm not a fan of Devil May Cry, I only played the first one many years ago. But I still feel what they did with DmC was kind of odd, why piss off your fans that will buy the game on release? They should have done a spin off called Angel May Laugh, it's not the same character anyway. DMC HD Collection already has a game called Devil May Cry on it. Look to Metal Gear (rising/revengance?) for how it is handling that, it's not a "reboot" of Snake.

How do you think Halo fans would react to Master Chief being turned into a whiny emo wanker, who acts like the intro of Far Cry 3?

good effort fellas, decent show

the whole torso thing is in poor taste and with a very limited audience, but it really pisses me off. they wouldnt have made it without consumer input, even if it was very limited or generally aweful.

the booth at the end was great! if you're into british humor i suggest spy or whites on hulu

Last edited:
Love the classic Cagcast. As for DMC, it more Ninja Theory's aattitude toward the franchise as well as fans either flat out insulting them or in Capcom's case banning people from their site without warning. Ninja Theory has admitted that they have never liked Devil May Cry let alone Dante. They have no respect for the franchise or the fans so why should fans buy a game from people who don't respect them?

I'm loving the fact that Cheapy has been playing FIFA! As a long time FIFA fan and player (I play the game weekly the day it comes out untill the day the new FIFA is released) I'm very happy that FIFA is finally getting some love on the Podcast. If you ever need some help with the game Cheapy, all you need to do is ask haha! Love the show guys!

[quote name='felix559']the whole torso thing is in poor taste and with a very limited audience, but it really pisses me off. they wouldnt have made it without consumer input, even if it was very limited or generally aweful.[/QUOTE]

That seems pretty unlikely to me, unless it was so limited as to ask something so vague as if consumers would like a statue. I'm guessing the marketing department just figured that their core audience liked boobs and liked gore, so they put 2 and 2 together and came up with this. Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Disney infinity starter set comes with three playsets, incredibles, pirates, monsters univ.

the single packs are 12.99 and three packs 29.99

power disc packs come with two discs. At 4.99

playset packs believe to come with 2 figures associated with the playset. Which are ones not included with the base game.

I found a huge article with all the information.
in case anyone else was wondering. I thought I would share that info.

here is the site link
http://m.officialnintendomagazine.c...to-know-release-date-price-play-sets-figures/

It is way too early to declare Smartglass a failure. It will take at least a year before you see major integration into games. Think of how XBLA was launched on the original Xbox and compare that to where it is now. the problem is people expect every feature to be fully backed and every use case to be fairly explored in six months.

In the spirit of Devil May Cry fans I have not seen Ultimate Spider-man, but I instantly hate it.

[quote name='TheDrypa']I'm loving the fact that Cheapy has been playing FIFA! As a long time FIFA fan and player (I play the game weekly the day it comes out untill the day the new FIFA is released) I'm very happy that FIFA is finally getting some love on the Podcast. If you ever need some help with the game Cheapy, all you need to do is ask haha! Love the show guys![/QUOTE]

Fifa 12 on 360 is my go-to game for fun, quick distractions...I set the game to easy, shortest game possible, play as a striker and let the AI do all the defending. I typically win anywhere from 8-16 to nothing.

Also play longer, more serious games from time to time but mindless entertainment is my preferred mode...

Show Notes

4:00 Cheapy's Tokyo American Club commercial
8:00 More on the Karaoke pricing
11:00 Watch This: Dredd
14:00 Netflix, DC movie run down
17:00 Ultimate Spider-man, Avengers
20:00 The Booth at the End
22:15 New Releases: Devil May Cry
32:00 Disneylanders
40:00 Dead Island Torso edition
44:30 Obama gun control / video games
48:45 Epic Mickey 2 salos
50:15 NPD
55:00 FIFA 13
55:45 Bethesda trademarks Fallout for a tv show
1:00:00 Most regrettable/best purchase?
1:02:30 Most anticipated
1:06:30 What if there are no used games?

I love how Cheapy tried to act like he never talks about TAC! C'mon, Cheapy, Tokyo American Club is like the new Jean Snow of the CAGcast.

Don't get me wrong, though, I love hearing about your life in Japan, so don't stop talking about it.

Shipwreck was missed. Cheapy and Wombat just breezed past the Borderlands 2 DLC "Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt." Those Borderlands 2 DLCs are huge. Equal in size to a full XBLA game. I think Shipwreck would've at least mentioned what they story was about.

bread's done
Back