Retail-to-Digital Save Compatibility List for Retail Games on PSN

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
This list will track compatibility between the PSN versions (regular and ultimate editions) and the various retail SKUs (regular, collectors, GH, and GOTY), so please pay attention to which versions you can confirm compatibility for. An "easy" way to confirm these without buying them is for PlayStation Plus members to download Full Game Trials to see if they're compatible.

If there is a Collector's Edition or Greatest Hits version that affects save compatibility, please add a spoiler tag to the game's listing noting the issue.

* - Compatible with Regular Edition
* - Not Compatible with Regular Edition

NOTE: If the Bundles/Ultimate Editions of a game offers the base game in that purchase, please delete the Bundle/Ultimate Edition listing to help simplify the list.

[customspoiler=" # "]
007 Legends[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" A "]
Ace Combat Assault Horizon
The Adventures of TinTin: The Game
Air Conflicts: Secret Wars
Alice: Madness Returns *
Alice: Madness Returns Ultimate Edition
The Amazing Spider-Man
Anarchy Reigns
Angry Birds: Trilogy
Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel
Assassin's Creed
Assassin's Creed II Deluxe Edition *
Assassin's Creed III
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood *
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Complete Edition
Assassin's Creed Revelations
Assassin's Creed Revelations Ultimate Edition
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" B "]
Batman: Arkham Asylum *
Batman: Arkham City
Battlefield 3
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Bayonetta
Bejeweled 3
Ben 10 Omniverse
BioShock
BioShock 2
BioShock 2 Ultimate Edition
BioShock Infinite
Birds of Steel
Blazing Angels 2: Secret Missions of WWII
Bolt
Borderlands *
Borderlands Ultimate Edition
Borderlands 2*
Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
Bulletstorm
Burnout Paradise *
Burnout Paradise Super Bundle[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" C "]
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Bundle
Call of Duty: Black Ops Ultimate Edition
Call of Duty: Black Ops with First Strike
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 with Stimulus Package
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood
Carnival Island
Cars 2: The Video Game
Catherine
Crysis 2
Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
Crysis 3
CSI: Fatal Conspiracy
The Cursed Crusade[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" D "]
Dante's Inferno
Dante's Inferno Bundle
The Darkness II
Darksiders
Darksiders II Bundle
de Blob 2
Dead Island Riptide
Dead or Alive 5
Dead Rising 2 Off The Record
Dead Space
Dead Space Bundle
Dead Space 2
Dead Space 2 Bundle
Dead Space 3
Defiance
Defiance Deluxe Edition
Demon's Souls *
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Deus Ex: Human Revolution Ultimate Edition
Devil Max Cry HD Collection
Dirt Showdown
Dishonored
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
Disney Pixar Brave
Disney Universe
DmC Devil May Cry
Doom 3 BFG Edition
Dragon Age II
Dragon Age: Origins
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Duke Nukem Forever
Dynasty Warriors 7 Empires[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" E "]
EA Sports FIFA Street
EA Sports MMA
Everybody Dance Digital
Everyone Sing[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" F "]
F1 2012
F1 Race Stars
Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse
Far Cry 2
Far Cry 3
FIFA Soccer 12
FIFA Soccer 13 Bonus Edition
Fight Night Champion - Champion Mode
Fight Night Champion - Full Game
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" G "]
Game of Thrones
Get Up And Dance
God of War Collection *
God of War: Origins Collection
GoldenEye 007: Reloaded
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto IV : The Ultimate Edition
Grease Dance[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" H "]
Hasbro Family Game Night 3
Heavy Fire: Afghanistan
Heavy Fire: Shattered Spear
Hitman: Absolution Special Edition
Hitman Trilogy HD
Homefront
Homefront Ultimate Edition
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds Complete Collection *
The House of the Dead: Overkill Extended Cut
Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" I "]
Ico (From Ico & Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection)
Infamous *
Infamous 2 *
Infamous Collection
Injustice: Gods Among Us[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" J "]
Jak and Daxter Collection *
James Cameron's Avatar: The Game
Jeopardy
John Daly's ProStroke Golf
Just Cause 2 *
Just Dance 3
Just Dance 4[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" K "]
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
Killzone HD (From Killzone Trilogy)
The King of Fighters XIII
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" L "]
L.A. Noire
L.A. Noire Ultimate Edition
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 *
LEGO The Lord of the Rings
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game *
LittleBigPlanet *
LittleBigPlanet 2 *
LittleBigPlanet Karting *
Lord of the Rings: War in the North[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" M "]
Madagascar 3: The Video Game
Madden NFL 12
Madden NFL 13 Bonus Edition
Mafia II
Mafia II Ultimate Edition
MAG
Mass Effect (From Mass Effect Trilogy)
Mass Effect 2 *
Mass Effect 2 Ultimate Edition
Mass Effect 3
Mass Effect Trilogy
Max Payne 3
Medal of Honor Warfighter
Medieval Moves: Deadmund's Quest
Men In Black: Alien Crisis
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Michael Jackson The Experience
Midnight Club Los Angeles Complete Edition *
Mini Ninjas
Mirror's Edge *
MLB 13: The Show
ModNation Racers *
Monopoly Streets
Mortal Kombat
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
MotorStorm Apocalypse *
Carries over MP rank, medal challenges, and other unlocks based on rank, but not anything else.
MUD: FIM Motocross World Championship
MX vs. ATV: Alive[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" N "]
Naughty Bear Gold Double Trouble
NBA 2K13
NCAA Football 12
NCAA Football 13 Bonus Edition
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Bundle
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Need for Speed The Run
NHL 12
NHL 13
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch *
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" O "]
Order Up!![/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" P "]
Persona 4 Arena
Phineas and Ferb: Across the Second Dimension
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
PlayStation Move Heroes
Port Royale 3 Pirates & Merchants
Portal 2
Prince of Persia *
Prince of Persia Classic Trilogy HD
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
Prototype
Prototype 2
Pure[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" Q "]
Quantum Theory[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" R "]
Racquet Sports
Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One *
Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault
Rayman Origins
Record of Agarest War 2
Red Dead Redemption *
Red Dead Redemption and Undead Night Collection Bundle
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
Red Faction: Armageddon
Red Faction: Armageddon Ultimate Edition
Red Faction: Guerrilla
Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition *
Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City
Ridge Racer 7: 3D License Version
Ridge Racer Unbounded
Rise of the Guardians: The Video Game[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" S "]
Saints Row 2
Saints Row 2 Ultimate Edition
Saints Row: The Third *
Saints Row: The Third The Full Package
Shadow of the Colossus (From Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection)
Shaun White Snowboarding
Shift 2 Unleashed
Shift 2 Unleashed Bundle
Singstar Digital
Sleeping Dogs
The Sly Collection *
Sly Cooper: Theives in Time
Sniper Ghost Warrior 2
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
Sonic Generations
Sorcery *
SoulCalibur V
Spec Ops: The Line *
Split/Second
Sports Champions
Sports Champions 2
SSX
Star Trek
Starhawk
Star Wars The Force Unleashed II
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" T "]
Tales of Graces f
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends
The Testamanet of Sherlock Holmes
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12: The Masters
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14
Tom Clancy's Endwar
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent
Tomb Raider
Tomb Raider: Underworld
Top Spin 4
Toy Story 3: The Video Game
Toy Story Mania
Twisted Metal *
Two Worlds II Velvet Game of the Year Edition[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" U "]
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune *
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves GOTY *
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception GOTY Digital Edition[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" V "]
Vanquish[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" W "]
The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine Ultimate Edition
Warhawk *
Wheel of Fortune
WRC 3 FIA World Rally Championship[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" X "]
XCOM: Enemy Unknown[/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" Y "]
N/A, Sorry :whistle2:([/customspoiler]
[customspoiler=" Z "]
Zone of the Enders HD Collection[/customspoiler]

We have 36 out of 282 Games confirmed for this list so far. Thanks to everybody for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feel free to make suggestions for improving the format, as I suspect that there may be a better way of representing the various SKUs that a game can be offered in during its lifetime at retail if that makes a difference in save compatibility.

Similar to our 360 install size thread, could we possibly remove the * and instead highlight the entire game title in the appropriate color? It will be bolder/stand out more AND save on character cap :)

EDIT: I would also suggest wikifying the first post so people can post updates as they come across them?
EDIT2: I see now what you mean by multiple SKUs. The *'s may be the best system, disrefard my first comment :)

[quote name='SynGamer']Similar to our 360 install size thread, could we possibly remove the * and instead highlight the entire game title in the appropriate color? It will be bolder/stand out more AND save on character cap :)

EDIT: I would also suggest wikifying the first post so people can post updates as they come across them?[/QUOTE]
How would you represent the various SKUs if the name can only be one color?

Do you want to save this for only PS3 games or include Vita games as well?

If you want to roll Vita in, Gravity Rush works just fine for retail to digital.

[quote name='Logain8955']Do you want to save this for only PS3 games or include Vita games as well?

If you want to roll Vita in, Gravity Rush works just fine for retail to digital.[/QUOTE]
With Vita games, if the game saves to the memory card, which is mentioned on the cover, then it works. PS+ cloud saves helps with the rest, so there's no need for that.

Subscribed, thanks!

I literally just asked myself yesterday if I could load up my old Just Cause 2 save file with the digital IGC version so I wouldn't have to dig out the disc.

What about digital-to-retail? For example the free walking dead episode and then completing on disc. Anyone know if saves are compatible?

If it works one way, then it should also work the other way. This thread is basically about confirming whether each game's saves work with whatever is out there.

Just confirmed that LBP Karting does not work with the disc-based game save. I'm guessing if the game says "Digital" in the title it will not be compatible? I haven't seen that for PS+ freebies like Bioshock 2, etc. But it is pretty apparent in the LBP Karting download. I wish someone had mentioned that all the times I asked.

Like Ratchet & Clank All 4 One, I think the incompatibility has to do with the disc-based version having an online pass (and thus those games are designated as "digtial" versions whereas full games that are no different from the originals are not). So they hose us once by putting these online passes in, and then screw us over a second time by making the digital versions not compatible with the game save from the disc-based version you bought at release. (Ie, my disc copy that I would like to sell is worth less now since the buyer would need an online pass - and upgrading to digital didn't even provide any convenience for me as I need to replay the game through again just to get back to where I was). Nice.

Is it really necessary to separate regular and collector's edition? Most of the time the disc are basiclly the same.

[quote name='62t']Is it really necessary to separate regular and collector's edition? Most of the time the disc are basiclly the same.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I'll use an example with Assassin's Creed II: Deluxe Edition. The bundle for sale on PSN includes a bunch of DLC, so it's a "different" game compile than the disc version, were you'd need to pay for and download the DLC separately. Guessing the same thing is happening with games with online passes, like io just said.

Edit: My guess as to why: Say you get Ratchet and Clank All 4 One free from PS+ service (we did), now you can't play it online unless you have the Online Pass. So it gives you the pass, but then game expires if you let PS+ lapse. Now you have a free Online Pass (since they don't have expiration dates like games/demos do) and can now go buy the game used and not have to pay for the Online Pass. Ya it sucks, but I assume that's why they do it this way, and just give you a different version of the game that bypasses Online Pass/etc.

I have a question, I have burnout paradise greatest hits, and I want to buy a gameshare of burnout paradise with all the dlc, does that mean the dlc will not work, or just the game?

This thread is only covering saves, but DLC should work with any version within its own region unless there are different DLC for different versions of the game like Batman: Arkham Asylum and that's a rare thing.

First, I interpreted this thread to mean that all that games listed were incompatible with disc game saves, which I thought was asinine. But thankfully after rereading I understood your point.

Back to the topic, I know that Reisdent Evil 5 Gold works with disc saves. Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition also works.

Frisky, thanks for your worrk and effort here and in the PSN thread.-

Got Spec Ops The Line from Gamefly and really liked it, so when it went on PS+ I thought I'd try for the platinum. Can confirm that retail saves DO NOT work with the digital version. So that was a wasted download, not replaying the game twice, at least not until I finish a lot of other games:cry:

I can confirm Telltale's Walking Dead saves work for either version. I started episode 1 and 2 digital but ended with the disc version.

Updated the OP with a couple of the games confirmed here and I'll add a few more potential titles to the list in a few minutes. I'm going to take a leap to confirming a bunch of titles in the OP by grabbing Full Game Trials of some of the retail games I own or have played in the past to see what works and what doesn't. These are the titles I'll be checking out unless people here want to confirm them first:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
Midnight Club: Los Angeles
Mirror's Edge
ModNation Racers
MotorStorm Apocalypse (just to double check that it's not EU/US save compatibility issues)
Prince of Persia
Saints Row The Third
Sorcery
Sports Champions
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
Uncharted: Among Thieves

I think we'll refrain from putting games on the list that were originally digital that got retail releases later for now until I see enough confirmations on both sides to warrant inclusion of those titles to reconsider.

If I can get my PS3 to download stuff, I can try the following:

Alice: Madness Returns
Borderlands
Lego Harry Potter 5-7
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
Red Dead Redemption

Will report back what I find. If someone else is going to download any of these, let me know so I don't waste time doubling up.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Uncharted: Among Thieves
[/QUOTE]
I can confirm that save files from the regular version of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves works with the download version of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves GOTY Edition.

MotorStorm Apocalypse surprisingly sort of works with the retail save. The EU version only recognized my trophies, but the US version recognized my MP rank, medal challenges, icons, and perks while not recognizing single-player progress and parts challenges. So it's an oddity, but the MP rank is the thing that's most important to me because the last few trophies that I have are for ranking up and punching a dude off of a bike or ATV.

Prince of Persia also works.

Mass Effect 2 works, so I'm guessing ME3 would as well. I didn't have enough space to download them both though, and I think I should give my PS3 a rest after running for more than 24 hours.

I can confirm that Saints Row: The Third and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune works with retail saves. Sorcery does not work with retail saves.

I thought I had confirmed that Sports Champions didn't, but I noticed after it expired that my retail save wasn't actually on my PS3 at the time. Oops.

anyone know if sleeping dogs retail works with the digital counterpart?

Edit: I can confirm that Sleeping dogs retail works with the digital version. I just checked this morning after downloading the game from PS+ :bouncy:

i can confirm retail game saves work on the digital version of xcom: enemy unknown. also i played the first hour of mass effect 3 on a trial, then started back up in the same spot when i purchased the retail game, so its good to go as well.

Alice Madness Returns works, but Lego Harry Potter 5-7 and Pirates of the Caribbean do not.
Crap, why do they do this with the Lego games? I was going to trade in PotC and pick up the PSN copy but now I may just forget it. I wonder if it is the same with Lego Batman 2?

Yay, I can finally contribute (I think).

I owned the retail version of the Ratchet & Clank collection, and played about 90 minutes of the first game.  Traded it in and bought the digital version, and the save file worked fine on the digital version.

So I can't speak for the sequels, but the original games save files are compatible.

Not sure why Demon's Souls is marked with the red asterisk denoting incompatibility. I own disk and downloaded copies of both the European (Namco Bandai) and American (Atlus) releases, and both digital games had no problem loading up my old physical copies' save files. (I can't check the Japanese version -- I own the disk but not the download.)

EDIT for clarity's sake: EU and USA copies have separate servers, save files, and trophy lists, but each separate version can freely share a save file between disk and digital.

The Lego Batman 2 retail save file is not compatible with the digital copy. Really disappointing since I was so close to unlocking the last character on my hard copy save.

Carnival Island is not compatible, even though your list says it is. I sold my retail copy and just bought the digital, and had to restart all over. Trophies stay the same but yeah...im just kinda pissed sony didnt think this over...

Carnival Island is not compatible, even though your list says it is. I sold my retail copy and just bought the digital, and had to restart all over. Trophies stay the same but yeah...im just kinda pissed sony didnt think this over...
The list doesn't say anything about Carnival Island being compatible or not, but thanks for confirming that it's not.

Decided to do a Full Game trial of GTA IV does this mean it doesn't work with the physical copy though? 

I know that the green asterisk says what works and what doesn't but it's on the list but only in gray has anyone tried it? I also know that PSN has GTA 4 and Liberty City Stories separate for trials however if I purchased the collection would it work? 

I may not understand your questions completely, so I'll see if I can answer them.

If you have the GTA IV full game trial, you should be able to instantly tell if it works with your retail save based on whether it starts from the beginning or not. Nobody has posted yet as to whether they're compatible or not.

Episodes From Liberty City is a standalone game that lets you just play the two pieces of DLC with none of the content from GTAIV, so I don't believe it's compatible with GTA IV saves in any way. If you grab the Ultimate Edition, you just gets the add-ons for GTAIV along with the main game, so the save compatibility should work the same as GTA IV.

bread's done
Back