ebay advice Please :D

AzGoat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I am about to start selling some stuff on ebay and i was wondering if you guys can give me some advice to help a first timer out?? Thanks for your help in advance :D

Describe the item as detailed as possible.
Take good pictures - none of that blurry stuff.
If it's opened, do not list it as "brand new."

Please read the eBay and PayPal Seller User Agreements.

While many people here and on other websites will give good advice most have been on eBay prior to a lot of the current changes and refuse to acknowledge them or get with the times.

Stating things like "I do not accept returns" or this is sold "As-Is" in your listing are just a waste of space.

A buyer can return an item at any time for any reason so it is just better to accept that. eBay gives them 45 days to open a claim for SNAD (significantly NOT as described) and once they open the case you'll be accepting the item back (or allowing them to keep it AND the refund if you refuse) so you might as well play by eBay's rules.

Also read up on what you need to protect yourself (i.e. offer delivery confirmation on items with a total value of less then $250 [including shipping] or signature confimration on items valued over $250).

You'll save a lot of time if you buy a cheap scale and print your labels online. You're going to pay at least 10% more in postage and fees if you pay at that post office not to mention the time you waste by waiting in line and having to deal with another human.

If you plan to sell on a consistent basis, I'd advise buying your own scale. The savings of paying for the minimum postage will pay off the cost of your scale.

[quote name='Donut2922']If you plan to sell on a consistent basis, I'd advise buying your own scale. The savings of paying for the minimum postage will pay off the cost of your scale.[/QUOTE]

^ This is good advice. I spent more then I had planned ( ~ $100) on a very good Salter/Brecknell scale at Office Max about two years ago. I think it is accurate up to a 1/10th of an ounce from 1oz to 35lbs.

I did get $100 in rewards back on the purchase but looking back even if I had spent $100 out of pocket with no rewards it would have been a worthwhile investment. It is extremely accurate and I do not feel as if I have overpaid or conversely cheated USPS by misweighing a package.

I get video games in the mail from eBay purchases where I see people guessing at 10oz when they most likely weigh closer to 4 or 5oz and that adds up after awhile. I'm not sure what the new rates are that took effect on Sunday but previously each oz after 3oz caused the cost of a first class package to go up by $.19 so it does add up.

A cheap shipping method with no material cost is USPS flat rate priority, Its a free bubble mailer, or box, that can hold large item's, by all means get your own supplies for small stuff, but for larger things, it's cheap and fast. $5.70 for the padded flat rate env. postage.
Go to USPS.com, make an account and order 15 of each or so, they are free and are a good thing to have IN CASE.

-DELIVERY CONFIRMATION. Just add it into the shipping cost. I used to only add it by request but began running into buyers expecting it to be added even though they never specified they wanted it or payed for it. In the long run it will help you out too.

-Print your labels online as you'll save some $$, and as Hemi said, I believe the USPS flat rate boxes are great. This way I always have boxes (no more $1.50 per box or dumpster diving), and its 2-3 days shipping time with delivery confirmation included (buyers love this!)

-If you aren't going with the USPS flat rate boxes (and I say this only because I haven't run into a problem with those yet) insure all your packages because sometimes the post office does lose them.

Good luck man. In the end it's just important to be a respectful and responsible seller. Don't try and rip anyone off to make a quick buck and eventually you'll establish a reputation. eBay makes it very difficult for new sellers to start off ESPECIALLY if you only have items in one category (stupid category limits), but once those are lifted you'll be on your way. Also expect to run into the occasional asshole who is trying to rip you off (in this case confirmation and insurance help) and don't let them discourage you. Unfortunately eBay seems to be very buyer friendly which kind of screws over unfortunate sellers in some situations.

AS a long time seller, I'd recommend getting a scale as the others have suggested, however look for a good one on eBay, I bought mine at the Post Office only to find that eBay has better scales for less.

Oh, another tip? Choose to run with it or not, it minmizes risk, Try to only sell to people 5+ positive feedback, put it in description or w/e. That way it's less likely they would scam YOU if they didn't the previous people (Can't really uphold it but if the persons 0 feedback try messaging them a couple times, if they dont respond refund and cancel transaction "buyer is unresponsive)"

Keep a stock of shipping materials on hand. Boxes that you get stuff in, bubble mailers that didn't get shredded, bubble wrap, packing peanuts, etc. Even those reviled poly mailers from Hastings are useful, with a bit of bubble wrap - a package weighing 4.1 ounces costs the same as 5.0 ounces, so you might be able to tailor your choice of packaging to your shipping weight.

I heard from someone who used to sell things on ebay that sellers have no defense and rely purely on the good graces of a buyers integrity. He said he stopped using ebay when one buyer accused him of sending a package with the only thing in the box as newspaper and glass instead of the item that was in the listing. I've never known him to be a scammer, but apparently even with the weight recorded and the package ensured, he wasn't able to prove beyond a doubt as for the contents of the box, so was made to return the money AND lose the item he sold.

A few things I can think of at the moment:

• Absolutely buy a scale like others said, except a cheap $20 one is fine
  • Paypal will probably be holding your funds for 30 days or until you receive positive feedback since you're a new seller. I'm not sure how accurate that is but it's something like that. Google it if you need.
  • I would put something like no returns accepted and such in my listings because even though in reality it changes nothing it minimizes the chances by weeding out ignorant people.
  • Sell a bunch of small or cheap items to get your feedback up quicker
  • For anything $250 or more be sure to do signature confirmation.
  • This is something I do but don't know if anyone else would agree: Don't buy insurance for cheap crap (whatever you consider "cheap"). Eventually it may bite you in the ass, except if you do the math the odds are you'd spend more in insurance overall (depending on how much you sell).
  • Print labels online etc like others said, you can schedule a USPS pick up for free as long as you're shipping at least one item priority
  • Overestimate your shipping times
  • Reuse boxes and padded envelopes
  • Do NOT abuse the USPS. Do NOT ship your video games media mail
  • Don't let anyone message you trying to change the shipping address or anything like that. If you're suspicious google it. Odds are someone has had the same questions before
  • You can block specific ebay buyers (blocked bidder list), and there are also general limits you can put on who buys from you. Use them. If you think you may have a potential problem with someone and they haven't already purchased from you, block them before they do.
  • Don't accept any returns (pick the option when making your listing) unless you really feel the need to (there is no need)

Last edited by a moderator:
if you have a new account or 0 feedback, make sure to buy cheap stuff and hope you get some feedback. A new 0 feedback account selling electronics is a big target for scammers.

bread's done
Back