Trying to decide if I should sell some of my games. Advice?

cancerman1120

CAGiversary!
So like many CAGs I have a pretty deep backlog and I am starting to wonder if I should just sell some of my games. It is mostly because I just don't/won't have time to complete them all. Almost all my games are in good shape with artwork, manual and scratch free (for the most part). A lot of the games I want to sell would get me around $5 after fees and shipping on Ebay so I am not sure if it is even worth the trouble to do it. Selling 30 of these games only nets me about $150 which is an ok amount. I am wondering if I am just better off hanging onto them and playing them whenever I have time even if it is 2 years from now. This is a partial list of games I am thinking of unloading.

All for the 360

Ghost Recon: Advanced War Fighter
Devil May Cry 4
Frontlines: Fuel of War
Dark Void
Mindjack
FEAR
Condemned Criminal Origins
Perfect Dark Zero
Brutal Legend
Stranglehold
FEAR 2: Project Origin
Brother's in Arms:Hells Highway
The Club
Resonance of Fate
The Bourne Conspiracy
Dark Sector
Bionic Commando
Viking:Battle for Asgard
WET
Conan
F.E.A.R. 3
Too Human
Lost Planet 2
Two Worlds 2
Darksiders (I have it on PS+ now)
Dead to Rights:Retribution
Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days
Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena
Tomb Raider: Legend
Duke Nukem:Forever
Call of Juarez: The Cartel
Fable 2
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
The Saboteur
Tomb Raider:Underworld
Army of Two
Wolfenstein
Dungeon Siege III
Nier
Alpha Protocol
Prince of Persia
PREY

Any thought? Better to just hold on and play them when I can? Or should I try to dump some of the ones getting better sales? The tomb raiders are getting $10+ on ebay right now. Seems silly to sell these for $7 and only get $4.

Sell them. With so many great games out I wouldn't advise anyone to waste their gaming time on games like Mindjack or Wet. Some of those games are great(like Fable 2 and Brutal Legend) so if you really wanted to play some of them sometime down the road you could use the money you make off selling them to get a gamefly subscription. All these games are old enough that there shouldn't be any wait time for them.

I don't think the hassle is worth the potential profit in this case. You could separate them into lots--that would help at least--but still a huge hassle for not a huge amount of potential gain.

I agree, I don't think it is worth the hassle (your time and energy being the most important) for you to sell them. The amount of profit gained from the work you put in packaging, printing labels/driving to the PO is probably not going to compare to the money you could gain from working at your job for the same amount of time.

I traded in around 149 games and it netted me almost $1700 at Best Buy, I did this when they first started their 100% trade in promotion. The way I see it, all these games are worthless in 20 years, you might night even be dead. I've thought about disposing my games but since I have kids I will leave it for them to enjoy.

I've back offed so much from buying games that go on sale for $10-$20 and sticking to the ones I might play or genres I've always liked or things that interest me for my collection.

If you really want to sell them just make a spread sheet as quick as you can and see where you can get the most of it. Trust me once you do it a heavy burden will be lifted from you!

[quote name='skiizim']I traded in around 149 games and it netted me almost $1700 at Best Buy, I did this when they first started their 100% trade in promotion. The way I see it, all these games are worthless in 20 years, you might night even be dead. I've thought about disposing my games but since I have kids I will leave it for them to enjoy.

I've back offed so much from buying games that go on sale for $10-$20 and sticking to the ones I might play or genres I've always liked or things that interest me for my collection.

If you really want to sell them just make a spread sheet as quick as you can and see where you can get the most of it. Trust me once you do it a heavy burden will be lifted from you![/QUOTE]

Yeah that was part of my problem. I traded a ton at BBY and then turned around and bought way too many cheap games on B2G1 or even some B2G2 used sales. I might just sell a few of these that are still getting decent amounts. I was using the site http://howlongtobeat.com to get an idea of the time needed to just play my games and it is like 2000+ hours min to finish most of my games between the PS3 + 360.

[quote name='Zaku77']That sounds like even more work than just listing them on ebay. How much is your time worth, OP? haha[/QUOTE]

Yeah maybe I should just spend my time playing these games instead. :) Seems like I am making more wok when I could just play the games.

I have 913 games right now--a large chunk of those are RPGs. You should go use that website to see how long it would take me. :/ hahaha

[quote name='Zaku77']I have 913 games right now--a large chunk of those are RPGs. You should go use that website to see how long it would take me. :/ hahaha[/QUOTE]

Wow. Even if they only took 10 hours that is 9,000+ hours. Well I guess I should not feel so overwhelmed then. :lol:

If the problem is just that you have too many games and not that you need money, I would recommend joining vgfive and trading some of the games you don't think are worth selling on ebay. You could stockpile some points to use when you need/want a certain game in the future.

Listen, just trade them off to other CAG's, put em on a trade list and I'm sure there's a few cag's with games you want that would make a deal. Honestly can you in good conscious trade 20+ games for not even enough money to buy 3 new? I can't, heck, I can tell you right now some of those games I'm very interested in. Namely fable 2, darksider's, fear 1-2 (to an extent 3). Admittedly, you should try selling the 3 tombraider's as a set. you might net $30+ for the 3. Also cheapo games make good fillers in trades of not exact equal value, they get a extra game, and you get rid of one you dont want for one you do, everyone win's. (But seriously msg me about those games lol)

List everything in one bundle on ebay. Sure you get less but ship one package and you are done. If you break it up you will never sell some of the crappy stuff.

[quote name='reemer99']Check out the values on estarland.com, my guess is that even at the 70% cash value, you would get more than $150.[/QUOTE]

Why have I not heard of this yet? Thanks. Some of the TIVs are pretty good.

Doesn't really seem like any of the games are "worth" much. Your best bet is to group them in bunches of 3-5 etc. Perhaps selling on CAG (lowball?) would the fastest way to get rid of them.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']Sell them. With so many great games out I wouldn't advise anyone to waste their gaming time on games like Mindjack or Wet. Some of those games are great(like Fable 2 and Brutal Legend) so if you really wanted to play some of them sometime down the road you could use the money you make off selling them to get a gamefly subscription. All these games are old enough that there shouldn't be any wait time for them.[/QUOTE]

hated fable 2 and loved Wet....so to each their own. i have a backlog of ps3 games in the triple digits now, but I'm not ever selling a single one

[quote name='Zaku77']That sounds like even more work than just listing them on ebay. How much is your time worth, OP? haha[/QUOTE]

I agree. Spread sheets are for rocket building.

This is why I don't accumulate games at a stupid pace. Two things end up happening when you do that. Either A. You realize you have a whole lot of shit you'll never use and going to take a loss on. Or B. If you were even more careless with your video game spending you may end selling part of your collection simply to pay off bills. I used to have a mentality that I would leave my collection to my future kids but even that isn't practical. Not all you're kids are going to want to play or collect video games. I pretty much came to the point ill be happy enough if a gf or future wife doesn't make me sell the collection or even worse take it upon themselves which I see happen often.

People think backlog is a joke in till they realize they just lost a few grand because all video games depreciate and they still haven't even played the game.

Just wait till next gen consoles are out. PS3 and xbox360 games will be selling at the prices of PS2 and original xbox games now. Games you payed $30 plus for will sell for less then $5 bucks and lots of you will have still never played the game.

I recommend you only sell if you need the money. As others have said between the hassle and how little you'll get to me only makes it worthwhile if you need money.

This is why I never understand why people collect current gen games to keep adding to their backlog. At least with retro games they depreciated about as much as they will the majority of older games. You can pick up many great games for under $5 bucks. Current gen games are going to be wroth less then $5 bucks once next gen consoles come along. About the only thing that doesn't depreciate with current gen games is if you happen to have an actual limited edition or collectors edition. Even so only a few of them have inflated or maintained their MSRP price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may be in the minority here, but I actually enjoy selling games on ebay (of course for profit mostly), as it helps keep the backlog down and creates a Paypal budget for any new purchases. It takes some work, sure, but I find it entertaining, even something as simple as packing and making side trips to the post office.

If you aren't ever going to play them, then sell them in two game lots (light enough to send first class), pairing similar games together to save on shipping costs and listing times. Just list two to three auctions a week so it doesn't become a chore. As an extra thing I do, I keep track of what I spend compared to my Paypal balance to see if I stay in the black with my gaming habit. I know its an extra excel sheet, but it literally takes only 30 seconds to update any new purchases (not complicated at all).

To each his own, but I'd rather have $5 net profit in a Paypal account then a game that will just languish on my shelf, even better that someone else gets to enjoy the game for a cheap price.

While looking at your list, I noticed that a lot of the games are pretty much worthless since many of the games can be found at 9.99 or less. I would sell them to a store with a good buy back rate or selling them all together.

[quote name='dan13l858']While looking at your list, I noticed that a lot of the games are pretty much worthless since many of the games can be found at 9.99 or less. I would sell them to a store with a good buy back rate or selling them all together.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say the same thing. Gamestop often has deals where you get more if you trade in X games.

If it were me, I would hold on to the RPGs, the FEAR trilogy and the Capcom stuff. Maybe Alpha Protocol and Too Human (not because they're good but because they have interesting developement stories).

Don't sell them, the hassles won't be worth it. Scammers target low-value games on eBay to steal. I don't know how many sub-$6 games I've had to give refunds for with no return. It's never worth it.

[quote name='Doomstink']Don't sell them, the hassles won't be worth it. Scammers target low-value games on eBay to steal. I don't know how many sub-$6 games I've had to give refunds for with no return. It's never worth it.[/QUOTE]

This has happened to me a few times too which is why I always use delivery confirmation, regardless of sale price.

Honestly, when I was selling stuff, anything that I knew had no or very limited value got boxed up and sent to Goodwill. No sense in selling stuff that's worth less than $5.

Keep the good stuff (RPGs) donate or sell the rest, Amazon has decent trade in prices sometimes and you can get rid of it all at once. I've been buying, selling, trading, and re-buying videogames to the point I'm paralyzed by my own stuff and have no time to play. It's a mental illness.

[quote name='cancerman1120']Why have I not heard of this yet? Thanks. Some of the TIVs are pretty good.[/QUOTE]

they expect things to be in good condition, but if you buy used from them you will get a good condition game. I have done a lot more business with them since I moved closer to their store, but I still usually just mail the stuff in. I've had 0 issues.

bread's done
Back