Tomb Raider

xplode427

CAGiversary!
Feedback
72 (100%)
Has no one posted about this game? This game is awesome. It's a little bit like Lost with the Others trying to get you and surviving a boat crash. Only the motto is more Live Alone, Die Together than the other way around. Anyways, redboxed it and have been playing for two hours and it's great.

The SP has been really great so far, I'm about 6 hours in and I'm really enjoying it. The same can't be said about the multiplayer though, it's just horrible IMO and it sucks that you have to sink so much time into it to get the platinum.

For the first half hour I wasn't sure I'd like the game, because it was just a cinematic experience of Lara getting beat up and walking around; that's all you do. Once the game finally started, ahem, I was really impressed with how they could make a linear experience feel open world. With Uncharted, they manage to do the same thing but it's always clear that there's a set path you're meant to follow. With TR, you follow the L2 beacon of light but how you get there is completely optional. From a level design perspective, that's very impressive.

I also thought I'd be very disappointed with the 'tomb raiding' aspect given all the hate I've heard about with them being very short and just giving exp/salvage at the end as a reward. Turns out, the raiding portion feels much more natural in a sense that it's more believable what you're finding was actually used by islanders. Prior to the reboot, tombs were more like palaces of lavish grandeur and more of set pieces than real tombs. If you go to Egypt expecting tombs to have dinosaurs or entire cities hidden in them, you'll be disappointed lol. Since this reboot is supposed to be "Survivor: Lara Croft", it's nice that they stuck to the rhetoric instead of over the top.

Lastly, I'd heard a lot about the brutal nature of this game, whether it was the vicious killing of slave traders or the 'rape' scene but this is actually more a product of copying Uncharted than anything else. Thinking back now, Tomb Raider was always pretty bloody but limited by processing power. Just because we can now execute enemies a la Uncharted doesn't mean the franchise has lost focus. This game, if anything, is more true to the original series than the previous reboot. The exp ding that pops up however, is just par for the course this generation.

i ended up spending $75 on the collectors edition (used a gift card) and its kind of not worth the whole $100 a little over priced. that aside i just played past the part where you climb the radio tower and man this game is sweeeet. collectables around every corner, i like the upgrade system and i especially like using the bow. feels nice taking guys out with a well placed arrow.

I like the fact that it feels like a thriller version of an Uncharted game. This game could have easily been an original IP rather than a TR reboot, but at least they didn't pull another Angel of Darkness. Some sort of co-op mode would have been nice, because honestly, the multilayer is just bad, and I'm usually a sucker for some competitive third person shooting.

I'm glad they didn't make it too realistic, as I always prefer to have the possibility for weird shit in these games. Also, loved the dual pistol bit at the end of the game.

[quote name='KrebStar']I like the fact that it feels like a thriller version of an Uncharted game. This game could have easily been an original IP rather than a TR reboot, but at least they didn't pull another Angel of Darkness. Some sort of co-op mode would have been nice, because honestly, the multilayer is just bad, and I'm usually a sucker for some competitive third person shooting.

I'm glad they didn't make it too realistic, as I always prefer to have the possibility for weird shit in these games. Also, loved the dual pistol bit at the end of the game.
[/QUOTE]

I beat the game this morning,
and the dual pistol part made me smile :D.
Overall I really enjoyed this game, I thought the story was pretty good and it kept me interested. Hopefully we get a sequel and they can tune up the MP aspect since that was the only letdown with this game.

It's a shame many players won't see the gamestop exclusive level from pre-orders because they put a lot of work into that tomb. It's probably the most elaborate I've seen in the game so far and to fully explore it you need to come back late in the game when you get a certain weapon upgrade. That kind of content shouldn't be locked away pending who you buy the game from, because it's way better than some skin you get at Amazon or Best Buy. I'm just glad I always pre-order at GameStop, even if I don't happen to keep the game from them. ;)

[quote name='sublime90']i ended up spending $75 on the collectors edition (used a gift card) and its kind of not worth the whole $100 a little over priced. that aside i just played past the part where you climb the radio tower and man this game is sweeeet. collectables around every corner, i like the upgrade system and i especially like using the bow. feels nice taking guys out with a well placed arrow.[/QUOTE]

I felt fine dropping 100 on it. Play Arts figures tend to hover in the 50-60 range on their own, and being a collector of those, I was stoked about the package deal. Honestly though, I was just so enamored with the game that I wanted to give them my money. Stoked to see where the franchise goes from here.

bread's done
Back