Nintendo is in a software slump.

jkam

CAGiversary!
Feedback
258 (100%)
Now don't get me wrong I realize this is basically yet another way to print money but I can't help but think this just another example that Nintendo is out of "new" ideas.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/13/report-pokemon-rumble-u-uses-wii-u-nfc-with-skylanders-like-toy/

This is compounded by the re-hashing of Smash Bros., New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, etc for each new console.

I loved Mario Galaxy. I loved Mario 3D Land. I just can't help shake the feeling that these breakthrough titles are so much farther and fewer nowadays. I think it's harder to swallow because software wise they are capable of great things.

I don't have a Wii U but after reading so much about how slow the menus are, having Wii emulation\Virtual Console in a separate channel, and how irrelevant the Mii Plaza etc is I can't help but think they are being left behind by themselves at this point. It's been half baked. I don't even care about all the extra TV Tuner, skype, etc. features of other consoles but at least make the gaming software experience slick. I used to love the Gamecube because of their stance on quick loading etc. Now it's wait until April blah blah blah. Then I start to get excitied by stuff like HD Wind Waker and Donkey Kong Country 3DS because it's cool but these games aren't even that old. How about a Wind Waker 2 fully voiced?

Nintendo has been known to hold its own with their compelling software but currently it feels as if they are a train going nowhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
You think them putting a big Pokemon title (with toys) on their latest console is evidence of a slump? I've been wondering what the shit is taking them so long, I expected a big Pokemon title on the Wii, and I'm not a pokemon fan in any way.

I know Pokemon's regarded as a handheld thing, but jesus. I would think that this is something people want. Plus, you can milk that fucker if the toys mean additional revenues for new R&D. I really hope it takes off, especially if solidifies the WIIU.

If I were going to point to evidence of a slump, I'd point to how they've been mining pre-GameCube era R&D for over a decade. As for developing "fresh" titles with old IPs, it's tough to get too picky. I think they're stale in the Marios, but they really tried something with Zelda and SS -- no matter your opinion of that title, you have to credit them for the attempt and for keeping it on the Wii. They mixed Metroid up a bit, some for the good, some for the not-so-good. The Smash Bros games seem to be a push, too. (On a lesser note, as the karts aren't as prominent, I have to note as a devoted fan of SMK that they put a gun to the head of Mario Kart in effectively merging it with the Mario Party series.)

All of which is to say on an IP-by-IP basis, Pokemon would be the last example I'd point to if I were making the slump argument. It's an outright success that has managed to stay relatively true to itself over multiple generations of gamers. I don't know what they're doing to keep people interested, but people eat that shit up.

Not Pokemon in general just the fact that it's not a new idea. It's Skylanders with a Pokemon coat of paint. Like I said no reason for them not to do it because they can print money with it but the Nintendo of old would have been the ones to create Skylanders years ago not follow in it's footsteps.

[quote name='jkam']Not Pokemon in general just the fact that it's not a new idea. It's Skylanders with a Pokemon coat of paint. Like I said no reason for them not to do it because they can print money with it but the Nintendo of old would have been the ones to create Skylanders years ago not follow in it's footsteps.[/QUOTE]
But Pokemon's no stranger to spinoffs inspired by popular (and sometimes non-Nintendo) games...

[quote name='blueshinra']But Pokemon's no stranger to spinoffs inspired by popular (and sometimes non-Nintendo) games...[/QUOTE]

Even if Pokemon as a starting point is a bad example I can't help but think it shadows the whole company right now with it's lack of vision. Where are they headed? What's next? Nintendo used to be all about the games. Now what it is about? I feel as if the Wii and Wii U tried to focus more on the hardware being unique and in the meantime the software has suffered. We can talk up the hardware, the specs, the sheen of the console but at the end of the day Nintendo's software is becoming less compelling and for me that is the true travesty.

[quote name='Blaster man']When skylanders was such a success I knew everyone would copy it. I'm just amazed that only 2 companies are actively copying it so far.[/QUOTE]

It would probably be hard to replicate Skylanders' success without established/recognizable characters (easy for Disney and Marvel) or something that completely improves upon the existing formula.

[quote name='jkam']Even if Pokemon as a starting point is a bad example I can't help but think it shadows the whole company right now with it's lack of vision. Where are they headed? What's next? Nintendo used to be all about the games. Now what it is about? I feel as if the Wii and Wii U tried to focus more on the hardware being unique and in the meantime the software has suffered. We can talk up the hardware, the specs, the sheen of the console but at the end of the day Nintendo's software is becoming less compelling and for me that is the true travesty.[/QUOTE]

I get your frustration with the current state of Nintendo, but I don't think this is the game to point to for proof. This game is potentionally going to print money, and maybe sell consoles.

Edit
I missed your reply where you acknowledged the printing money thing.

Poor nintendo. You can only ride pokemon, mario and zelda for so long.
But at least they got bayonetta and those 50 people who will buy it because anyone who bought a wii u is totally into hack and slash games.

I think once the Wii came out they realized there is more money to be made appealing to the lowest common denominator rather than pushing innovative new software/IP. Mario Galaxy was great - classic Nintendo doing what they do best - and it sold well but it didn't sell a TON. I bet that game was really hard to develop and I bet that's why they cranked out SMG2 so fast (which was excellent).

There are too many other companies making AAA games right now. It's not like 1990 when you had Nintendo and then everyone else (generally speaking).

[quote name='ZForce915']

Edit
I missed your reply where you acknowledged the printing money thing.[/QUOTE]

I actually said it in the opening of the 1st post too :)

[quote name='Javery']I think once the Wii came out they realized there is more money to be made appealing to the lowest common denominator rather than pushing innovative new software/IP. Mario Galaxy was great - classic Nintendo doing what they do best - and it sold well but it didn't sell a TON. I bet that game was really hard to develop and I bet that's why they cranked out SMG2 so fast (which was excellent).

There are too many other companies making AAA games right now. It's not like 1990 when you had Nintendo and then everyone else (generally speaking).[/QUOTE]

I don't know I would think with the landslide in Wii sales at the tale end of its lifecycle would indicate that what people want at the end of the day is great software. It was funny how quickly they changed their stance on bringing over some of those niche RPGs once sales started declining. Did it make a difference? No, but I think most of the faithful had already moved on.

It seems that with the Wii U you don't have what you had with the Wii. The hardcore bought it first and showed it off to the general (non-caring) public and that's when it took off. I don't see the same thing happening with the Wii U.

(Even though it doesn't make a difference if the games are good)....With the console being less powerful than the PS4 and NextBOX there is no WOW factor to be had. It seems that without even showing the console the PS4 has people more excited than the entire Wii U launch and the time it's been on shelves.

Now before we talk doomsday or any of that sensationalist nonsense the one thing that makes none of it matter has always been Nintendo's first party titles. They have not only stood the test of time but have almost always delivered a great experience. Enter the Wii. We got some great amazing games. I played through Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess and enjoyed them thoroughly. However once I got to Skyward Sword the game just felt outdated. Zelda's a tough nut to crack, change it too much and people complain don't change it enough and people complain. It just seems like in the end they aren't really trying to push anything forward anymore.

Rinse, Repeat, Recycle. Rinse, Repeat, Recycle. There is only so long most "fans" will hold on. I guess largely it doesn't matter because there are always the kiddos to play the next Mario but as someone who has played since the NES it's disheartening to see how the software and creativity has taken a nosedive.

Oh, god, I had thought the Skylanders thing was for the upcoming Pokemon xy game, I'm glad to hear it's a separate game.

[quote name='jkam']...this just another example that Nintendo is out of "new" ideas.

This is compounded by the re-hashing of Smash Bros., New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, etc for each new console.

Nintendo has been known to hold its own with their compelling software but currently it feels as if they are a train going nowhere.[/QUOTE]

Buddy, I've been saying this for years....

[quote name='GUNNM']Poor nintendo. You can only ride pokemon, mario and zelda for so long.
[/QUOTE]

And this too, this is Nintendo's big three franchises right here, I'd argue SSB as well along with Mario Kart, but they only do a release a gen for each one, so those three are the ones keeping things afloat and loosing steam, since each new iteration is getting less and less innovative than the last, which is a shame.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']post in other whiner thread please kthxbai[/QUOTE]

Are we not allowed to have civilized discussions about things like this? Or am I missing something.

Or do you want to play the Nintendo loyalist who wants to go down with the ship, irregardless if there are holes in the boat.

Thing is most of posts like this (and mine in the past) are from people sad to see Nintendo not doing things radically different and then not bringing new and fresh experiences to us gamers and then relying on gimmicks to push new game play experiences, which just feels cheap by comparison.

But I guess there is some truth to an article I read recently about a mid-30-ish gamer lamenting that Nintendo had left him behind by not growing up with him and his changing tastes and instead catering to the new generation over and over and he was slowly accepting that fact.

Maybe its time for us old timers to do the same instead of feeling the pains of why is Nintendo not doing for us, when they already gave so much, but couldn't keep giving due to keeping the new generation involved and us being lost in the shuffle because we want the old with the new that they aren't keen to deliver anymore.

Something to think about, ya know. ;)

[quote name='jkam']I actually said it in the opening of the 1st post too :)

I don't know I would think with the landslide in Wii sales at the tale end of its lifecycle would indicate that what people want at the end of the day is great software. It was funny how quickly they changed their stance on bringing over some of those niche RPGs once sales started declining. Did it make a difference? No, but I think most of the faithful had already moved on.

It seems that with the Wii U you don't have what you had with the Wii. The hardcore bought it first and showed it off to the general (non-caring) public and that's when it took off. I don't see the same thing happening with the Wii U.

(Even though it doesn't make a difference if the games are good)....With the console being less powerful than the PS4 and NextBOX there is no WOW factor to be had. It seems that without even showing the console the PS4 has people more excited than the entire Wii U launch and the time it's been on shelves.

Now before we talk doomsday or any of that sensationalist nonsense the one thing that makes none of it matter has always been Nintendo's first party titles. They have not only stood the test of time but have almost always delivered a great experience. Enter the Wii. We got some great amazing games. I played through Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess and enjoyed them thoroughly. However once I got to Skyward Sword the game just felt outdated. Zelda's a tough nut to crack, change it too much and people complain don't change it enough and people complain. It just seems like in the end they aren't really trying to push anything forward anymore.

Rinse, Repeat, Recycle. Rinse, Repeat, Recycle. There is only so long most "fans" will hold on. I guess largely it doesn't matter because there are always the kiddos to play the next Mario but as someone who has played since the NES it's disheartening to see how the software and creativity has taken a nosedive.[/QUOTE]

About the wow factor, if iPad's were not being sold at a rate of 40-50 million a year (wow over a 10 year consoles life Apple will sell half a billion iPads at $500+ each) and everyone didn't have expectations of a tablet then maybe it would do better. As it is, it's just a much better Dreamcast controller. So right now there are few games out for it. It's $350 for the good version. A lot of people own (real) tablets. Gamers already own a 360 and/or PS3.

If I own a Wii, Xbox 360, PS3, PC, iPhone, and an iPad (I do) then what will the wii u do for me? I already have access to the multiplat games so that won't push me into buying one. If the gamepad was a true tablet then that could be useful too. It's obvious why the regular consumer or even core gamer isn't interested. Most of the games I've heard people talking about being system sellers are NOT system sellers. Maybe Monster Hunter will sell Wii U's in Japan but its just not that big here.

Speaking of games, how do you play traditional multiplayer Mario kart if there is only one person with a gamepad? That guy will always win it seems...

To quote the Miz, really? Really? REALLY? It's barely 5 months into the Wii U's life and some of you are complaining about a game drought? The Zelda team just pushed out a brilliant and massive Zelda game a year ago. The Mario team has pushed out one all-time great (Super Mario 3D Land) and two very good Mario games (NSMB2, NSMBU) within the past year. We've got a handful of known entities coming out on the Wii U that are sure to be solid, plus a lot of rumors about Nintendo working behind the scenes with other developers. There's plenty of good games coming our way across the Wii U and 3DS platforms. Everything will be fine.

[quote name='Scobie']To quote the Miz, really? Really? REALLY? It's barely 5 months into the Wii U's life and some of you are complaining about a game drought? The Zelda team just pushed out a brilliant and massive Zelda game a year ago. The Mario team has pushed out one all-time great (Super Mario 3D Land) and two very good Mario games (NSMB2, NSMBU) within the past year. We've got a handful of known entities coming out on the Wii U that are sure to be solid, plus a lot of rumors about Nintendo working behind the scenes with other developers. There's plenty of good games coming our way across the Wii U and 3DS platforms. Everything will be fine.[/QUOTE]

Point is the drought is/was 100% avoidable. Nintendo has an ungodly amount of resources to make multiple titles at the same time. Nintendo has the resources to pony up for Rayman exclusivity. They should have been working on WiiU titles for the past couple years. It's almost like Nintendo was the last company to catch wind of the WiiU launch.

Enough with hitting the 3DS well of excuses. They're two different gaming devices, just because Nintendo put out a great Mario game on 3DS doesn't mean the console customer base is satiated. The person that dropped $350 on a WiiU doesn't give a rats ass if the 3DS got X game this month. They want something for their purchase. It boggles the mind that Nintendo can't seem to manage juggling software development for two different consoles.

What the fuck are you even complaining about? Pokemon toys have been in stores since the 90's. All they did was add NFC support so people can use them in games. Steve Jobs stole the Apple OS from Xerox, Bill Gates bought DOS from the Seattle Computer Company, the Kinect and PS Move came out years after the Wii established motion control, and SmartGlass technology is a straight copy of the Wii U tablet using a Windows tablet/smartphone.

But somehow it's not okay for Nintendo to do anything remotely similar to anything else. :roll:

[quote name='Scobie']To quote the Miz, really? Really? REALLY? It's barely 5 months into the Wii U's life and some of you are complaining about a game drought? The Zelda team just pushed out a brilliant and massive Zelda game a year ago. The Mario team has pushed out one all-time great (Super Mario 3D Land) and two very good Mario games (NSMB2, NSMBU) within the past year. We've got a handful of known entities coming out on the Wii U that are sure to be solid, plus a lot of rumors about Nintendo working behind the scenes with other developers. There's plenty of good games coming our way across the Wii U and 3DS platforms. Everything will be fine.[/QUOTE]

These complaints aren't targeted at Nintendo because people are trying to troll. Gamers like games. We're you a gamer in 2007? Google PS3 2007 game drought. They had games announced for release in spring 2007 that were virtually all delayed. People were pissed and complaining even thou it had only been out a few months.

Also look at people saying that that the PS3 needed a price drop which Sony said wouldn't happen and all the guys that bought at launch were vehemently denying the possibility and throwing out insults left and right at the "trolls" that wanted to save money. They lowered the price at E3 2007. HISTORY FTW. GG.

[quote name='Blade']What the fuck are you even complaining about? Pokemon toys have been in stores since the 90's. All they did was add NFC support so people can use them in games. Steve Jobs stole the Apple OS from Xerox, Bill Gates bought DOS from the Seattle Computer Company, the Kinect and PS Move came out years after the Wii established motion control, and SmartGlass technology is a straight copy of the Wii U tablet using a Windows tablet/smartphone.

But somehow it's not okay for Nintendo to do anything remotely similar to anything else. :roll:[/QUOTE]

I've never played a Pokemon game so this has no impact on me but you seriously can't see why people are complaining? When you play skylanders (another game I don't own but know about) when you get a new character they show you it's moves and what could be described of as a commercial for the new guy. You have him but you can't use him till you spend money to buy him. This converts micro transactions to an in store purchase so kids can buy them.

Nintendo is taking the worst part of skylanders (the collecting and super expensive figures just to play the game you already bought) and adds into the worst parts of collectible card games (random characters). Add to that the fact that there are what, 600 or 700 Pokemon here? Assuming you bought 600 packs and got a different one every time it would be over $1,200 with tax added.

This is horrible for gamers.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Give Nintendo credit, though... at least the characters are only $2. They could have charged more, and many people would have paid it.[/QUOTE]

Skylanders cost more but you can see right into the package and only get what you want. Even at $2 it would be virtually impossible to get what you want.

lego city the game that was a major game being talked about on wii u is having a shipping launch issues. Wii u is going down and down every day

I have a Wii u and I was well impressed with zombie u as far as the graphics and gameplay went it felt fresh And I even got excited that this wee machine was more powerful than PS3 and Xbox. I even thought it would better them but so far I'm seening nothing happening with it at all. I am now getting woried that I have just blew 350 pounds as the ps4 is just around the corner and is by far the most exciting thing happening with new consoles.if Nintendo don't start releasing games by the dozen and fast then they are dead in the water as devs are not going to be interested in wiiu when ps4 and new Xbox is out!

I got my hands on a Wii U Deluxe at launch, and it's the biggest gaming regret I've had in years. I'm selling it off next month. I don't want Wind Waker in HD, I want a new HD Zelda with voice acting. I want a new Metroid, a 3D Mario (not another sucky side-scroller rehash), etc. Where's my Mario Kart? I also don't care about a new Super Smash Bros, as I never much liked the previous ones.

And that's only half the problem. The Wii U is slow, the internet is horrid, the Miiverse is half-assed, and the lack of an optical cable input showcases Nintendo's problem of not 'getting with the times'. I don't much care for the Xbox 360 either, but as far as gaming goes, I would have been better off with that.

More and more, I see that the GameCube was Nintendo's last greatest triumph. Hell, I even went nuts getting a Panasonic Q. But now, I'll never buy another new Nintendo product again. It's a shame. I had high hopes, and also purchased the Wii U to play games on their Virtual Console, but when I can't even play Super Mario World or Mario 64 on the Gamepad, the company deserves the terrible console sales their getting.

Much like many game developers today who ship glitched and buggy games (i.e. ACIII, Colonial Marines), Nintendo has given us what feels like a half-finished console.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']I got my hands on a Wii U Deluxe at launch, and it's the biggest gaming regret I've had in years. I'm selling it off next month. I don't want Wind Waker in HD, I want a new HD Zelda with voice acting. I want a new Metroid, a 3D Mario (not another sucky side-scroller rehash), etc. Where's my Mario Kart? I also don't care about a new Super Smash Bros, as I never much liked the previous ones.

And that's only half the problem. The Wii U is slow, the internet is horrid, the Miiverse is half-assed, and the lack of an optical cable input showcases Nintendo's problem of not 'getting with the times'. I don't much care for the Xbox 360 either, but as far as gaming goes, I would have been better off with that.

More and more, I see that the GameCube was Nintendo's last greatest triumph. Hell, I even went nuts getting a Panasonic Q. But now, I'll never buy another new Nintendo product again. It's a shame. I had high hopes, and also purchased the Wii U to play games on their Virtual Console, but when I can't even play Super Mario World or Mario 64 on the Gamepad, the company deserves the terrible console sales their getting.

Much like many game developers today who ship glitched and buggy games (i.e. ACIII, Colonial Marines), Nintendo has given us what feels like a half-finished console.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo execs are claiming that they're going to fix the sluggishness of the console during a summer patch. So that's a few months from now. It's pretty sad that they would launch a console like that though.

[quote name='Blade']What the fuck are you even complaining about? Pokemon toys have been in stores since the 90's. All they did was add NFC support so people can use them in games. Steve Jobs stole the Apple OS from Xerox, Bill Gates bought DOS from the Seattle Computer Company, the Kinect and PS Move came out years after the Wii established motion control, and SmartGlass technology is a straight copy of the Wii U tablet using a Windows tablet/smartphone.

But somehow it's not okay for Nintendo to do anything remotely similar to anything else. :roll:[/QUOTE]
Despite your wish that Apple would go out of business and thousands of people would lose their jobs just so my stock's value would lower...I'm doing the Apple stock cabbage patch right now because I fuckING CALLED THE BOTTOM AND BOUGHT DAMN CLOSE TO IT WHEN EVERYONE ELSE SAID IT WAS GOING INTO THE 300'S!!!!!!:whee:

chrtsrv.dll

YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK BLADE!

[quote name='Corvin']Not having an optical is 'with the times.' I doubt any of the new consoles will have an optical port.[/QUOTE]

Considering the PS3 has an optical and it's current, I'd say having an optical is very much with the times.

Also, regarding the upcoming PS4 specs, this has been reported:

"As far as specs, the PS4 has an 8-core 64-bit x86 "Jaguar" CPU from AMD and a Radeon GPU with 18 "compute units" pushing 1.84 TFLOPS of horsepower. It features a 6X Blu-ray drive, 802.11n WiFi, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 2.1, HDMI, optical out, analog AV out, and an unknown amount of internal storage."

It's inexcusable that Nintendo couldn't tack that on to the Wii U -- a supposed 'next gen' system no less, especially when the Japanese GameCube (Panasonic Q) had one several years ago.

[quote name='SolidSnake86']Considering the PS3 has an optical and it's current, I'd say having an optical is very much with the times.

Also, regarding the upcoming PS4 specs, this has been reported:

"As far as specs, the PS4 has an 8-core 64-bit x86 "Jaguar" CPU from AMD and a Radeon GPU with 18 "compute units" pushing 1.84 TFLOPS of horsepower. It features a 6X Blu-ray drive, 802.11n WiFi, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 2.1, HDMI, optical out, analog AV out, and an unknown amount of internal storage."

It's inexcusable that Nintendo couldn't tack that on to the Wii U -- a supposed 'next gen' system no less, especially when the Japanese GameCube (Panasonic Q) had one several years ago.[/QUOTE]

No, optical was going out 6 years ago. Why do you need an optical when all TVs and AV receivers need only single HDMI. Hell, ARC killed the need for an optical as well if you need to antenna TV or even Wii audio out of a TV and into a surround sound. Really, don't knock something for not having a 10 year old outdated tech, that is becoming more and more worthless everyday. Just cause PS4 may have it (we don't know for certain) does not mean that it not with the times. The optical out is the equivalent of S-Cable these days.

People complain that Nintendo reuses the same IPs, but also complain that they haven't released F-Zero for a while and Pikmin has been delayed. Go figure. They release those things, because the sell. How many copies did Mario Kart Wii sell again? Not to mention it sold strong for years. The Evergreen model that they have for the core franchises certainly works better than pumping out a New IP and it hits the bargain bin in a few months model.

Will Nintendo ever directly compete with the PS4 or NextBox? Yeah in a few years. Let's face it. Since the DS they have decided that it is in their interest to do their own thing. So far it has kept them alive. Do they piss me off every now and then. Yep, so does Sony (Microsoft is just evil in my book), but at the end of the day playing jr market analyst on a message board for gamers who like finding cheap games hardly productive. This is adults arguing blast processing and Mode 7 on the playground.

As long as I get a quality Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Metroid I am good. Throw in a new F-Zero and some other surprises and I am happy. That is what I bought the system for anyway.

[quote name='ProfWho']People complain that Nintendo reuses the same IPs, but also complain that they haven't released F-Zero for a while and Pikmin has been delayed. Go figure. They release those things, because the sell. How many copies did Mario Kart Wii sell again? Not to mention it sold strong for years. The Evergreen model that they have for the core franchises certainly works better than pumping out a New IP and it hits the bargain bin in a few months model.

Will Nintendo ever directly compete with the PS4 or NextBox? Yeah in a few years. Let's face it. Since the DS they have decided that it is in their interest to do their own thing. So far it has kept them alive. Do they piss me off every now and then. Yep, so does Sony (Microsoft is just evil in my book), but at the end of the day playing jr market analyst on a message board for gamers who like finding cheap games hardly productive. This is adults arguing blast processing and Mode 7 on the playground.

As long as I get a quality Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Metroid I am good. Throw in a new F-Zero and some other surprises and I am happy. That is what I bought the system for anyway.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I've got an idea, how about they bring back EARTHBOUND?

at this day and age nintendo relying on their 1st party games will not sell systems im sorry. it's not just the wii u launch lets go back to the wii other then nintendo game what games came out on the wii the last 2-3 years of it's life that was worth talkinga bout? lets be real here you know once ps4 and next xbox is out most people that are not 100 percent nintendo fan boys will just move on from the system and it will gather dust me for just like the wii. At this point mario and zelda don't even get me happy to play the wii u. nsmbu was nothing more then nsmb we seen on the wii years ago.

[quote name='ProfWho']No, optical was going out 6 years ago. Why do you need an optical when all TVs and AV receivers need only single HDMI. Hell, ARC killed the need for an optical as well if you need to antenna TV or even Wii audio out of a TV and into a surround sound. Really, don't knock something for not having a 10 year old outdated tech, that is becoming more and more worthless everyday. Just cause PS4 may have it (we don't know for certain) does not mean that it not with the times. The optical out is the equivalent of S-Cable these days.[/QUOTE]

since when is optical cables outdated? every high tech tv and 7.1 surround sound has those inputs. Plus what happens if you want hdmi to your tv and you have a surround sound system? yes i know most new systems has hdmi in and out but really you will be getting a slight delay if you have hdmi going from game system into your surround sound then into your tv.

[quote name='ProfWho']People complain that Nintendo reuses the same IPs, but also complain that they haven't released F-Zero for a while and Pikmin has been delayed. Go figure. They release those things, because the sell. How many copies did Mario Kart Wii sell again? Not to mention it sold strong for years. The Evergreen model that they have for the core franchises certainly works better than pumping out a New IP and it hits the bargain bin in a few months model.

As long as I get a quality Zelda, Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Metroid I am good. Throw in a new F-Zero and some other surprises and I am happy. That is what I bought the system for anyway.[/QUOTE]

wii u will never compete with ps4 and 360 you know why? i give nintendo 2-3 years they will have a new system out. Another thing 3rd party games seems like it's going ot be a issue just like the wii. At e3 they were like omg our 3rd party support will be much better but yet only real good 3rd party support so far were games already out for months on other systems and then the major one rayman becomes a multi system game after we were told it was a wii u only game and people got the system just for that.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']since when is optical cables outdated? every high tech tv and 7.1 surround sound has those inputs. Plus what happens if you want hdmi to your tv and you have a surround sound system? yes i know most new systems has hdmi in and out but really you will be getting a slight delay if you have hdmi going from game system into your surround sound then into your tv.[/QUOTE]

It is what is known as a legacy input. Last I checked they also have composite cables as well it doesn't mean that they are not dated. 7.1 surround and the high quality surround standards tend to not support TOSLINK. On my tv, it passes through that is what the ARC is for. That said if you are dealing with an HDMI device why would you hook it up to your TV over your receiver since receivers tend to have more HDMI inputs.

[quote name='TimboSliceGB']wii u will never compete with ps4 and 360 you know why? i give nintendo 2-3 years they will have a new system out. Another thing 3rd party games seems like it's going ot be a issue just like the wii. At e3 they were like omg our 3rd party support will be much better but yet only real good 3rd party support so far were games already out for months on other systems and then the major one rayman becomes a multi system game after we were told it was a wii u only game and people got the system just for that.[/QUOTE]

I agree, the Wii U is not competing directly with the PS4. It is trying to be its own beast.

[quote name='ProfWho']I agree, the Wii U is not competing directly with the PS4. It is trying to be its own beast.[/QUOTE]

I think Nintendo would disagree with this statement. I'm sure they'd like to believe they're competing with the other two consoles.

[quote name='ProfWho']I agree, the Wii U is not competing directly with the PS4. It is trying to be its own beast.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ActionKazimer']I can't type "this" enough of times.[/QUOTE]

I sold my Earthbound copy in mint condition back when the Wii U launched because I thought it would be available on virtual console. Then it never came out. And the price of the SNES copy I had damn near trippled in value. I'm not mad that I sold it and that it went up in price but I'm disappointed that I sold it and they never bothered making it available.

[quote name='Blaster man']I sold my Earthbound copy in mint condition back when the Wii U launched because I thought it would be available on virtual console. Then it never came out. And the price of the SNES copy I had damn near trippled in value. I'm not mad that I sold it and that it went up in price but I'm disappointed that I sold it and they never bothered making it available.[/QUOTE]

I know that feel, man. I get way too sentimental to part with a lot of games in my collection. I wouldn't be half as bummed about the increase in value as I would about no longer having access to it.

[quote name='ProfWho']People complain that Nintendo reuses the same IPs, but also complain that they haven't released F-Zero for a while and Pikmin has been delayed. Go figure. They release those things, because the sell. How many copies did Mario Kart Wii sell again? Not to mention it sold strong for years. The Evergreen model that they have for the core franchises certainly works better than pumping out a New IP and it hits the bargain bin in a few months model.[/QUOTE]

Part of the frustration with Nintendo is they have these franchises and they don't do much with them. They put out a new Donkey Kong Country and Punch Out on the Wii, and I thought it was friggin awesome. They're enjoyable enough that they deserve to be seen more frequently. The Mother series...I don't need to say more. The complaints about reusing IP's largely stems from their overreliance on Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon. Mario in particular...seems like he's in five games a year now.

The other problem...their habit of using the controller to differentiate themselves from the competition is annoying. The best controls are one's I don't have to think about....in Skyward Sword, I found myself fighting the controls more than I was playing the game.

Hey javeryh, remind me of what new IP's Nintendo created for the Gamecube besides "Luigi's Mansion"?
"F-Zero GX", "Metroid Prime", "Paper Mario", "Wave Race", "Star Fox: Front Assault", etc.

I guess "Mario Sunshine" and "Eternal Darkness"? Does the latter count or does Silicon Knights have the rights for it?
I mean the 64 did "Pilotwings", "Wave Race", "F-Zero", "Dohshin the Giant", "Paper Mario" and maybe a few others?

I suppose the Wii might have "Reginleiv" but Nintendo didn't see fit to release that here in the States, likely because it was too bloody. Oh wait, I suppose "Xenoblade Chronicles" is now under them right?

bread's done
Back