Achieving April - Lets get rid of those backlogs!

slofton

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
I know its still some weeks away, but I figured we could get a headstart on (Achieving?) April! I was thinking of a good way to kinda streamline the event and came up with this idea.

Everyone send me a PM of your top 30+ games you need/want to play from your backlog. It has to be atleast a yearish old or apart of a bundle. Something that's truly in a backlog. Playing newer game (Path of Exile for me lol) is a lot of fun, but we're looking to get rid of our back logs! I'll then make up a list of the 25 most owned backlog games. We can then vote for a community game or two that we can all play. (Maybe a medium and short game) We can also pair up with each other, if we decide to, for the always fun "Dude, you need to play THAT game!" I'll have a list ready to vote on by the 25th. Voting would then go from the 25th to the 31st. So, the sooner you send me a list, the better.

Actually, I feel like I'm drowning not only in my backlog, but in promises to complete at least a part of that backlog too! :lol:

Anyway, I'll do Achieving April fo' sho, just need a little bit of free time to draw a list following your guidelines... I guess we'll go through the highest voted games and, in case we don't own some of them, for the ones immediately next, right?

haha! Thats generally why I only try and do maybe 2 games a month. it give me the time to play the backlog games and my own personal ones. You are correct in your thinking!

I would love to be in but not sure how much free time I'll have in April. It was so much easier collecting games. ;)

[quote name='blueshinra']I kind of want to join in this time :) Does it have to be just PC games?[/QUOTE]

Not at all! We encourage all backlog punchingintheface!

[quote name='sunasun']I would love to be in but not sure how much free time I'll have in April. It was so much easier collecting games. ;)[/QUOTE]

Ugh. Tell me about it. Collecting them is the best part lol The first time I did this, I listed all the games I beat. Out of like 150+ I beat 3. I felt ashamed of myself. But, through the last few months, ive played games that other people suggested that I probably never would have. Some of them have launched into my top 10 list of all time. It blew me away with what I was missing!

I generally only try to do 2 games and the community game, that way its not to much of a time commitment.

Thanks SLofton for setting this up. Sent you my list the other day. Hoping to get though another game or two before April but FTL has me completely hooked.

[quote name='slofton']Not at all! We encourage all backlog punchingintheface!

Ugh. Tell me about it. Collecting them is the best part lol The first time I did this, I listed all the games I beat. Out of like 150+ I beat 3. I felt ashamed of myself. But, through the last few months, ive played games that other people suggested that I probably never would have. Some of them have launched into my top 10 list of all time. It blew me away with what I was missing!

I generally only try to do 2 games and the community game, that way its not to much of a time commitment.[/QUOTE]
Sadly I think I only beat 4 games last year, Coconut Queen, Dear Esther, Costume Quest, and Stacking....... :cool:

[quote name='sunasun']Sadly I think I only beat 4 games last year, Coconut Queen, Dear Esther, Costume Quest, and Stacking....... :cool:[/QUOTE]

:lol:

I'm kind of similar in that I have all these games, like over 1,000, and some are big budget or were expensive at one time etc but what do I end up playing lately? 7 Wonders Alien Makeover. ;)

Someone should make a game about collecting games. It could be the Indie Bundle and game sale collector simulator.

My list is so out of control, I wouldn't even know where to start. Definitely I think 2 games is more manageable. I'm also all about shorter games these days.

[quote name='Motoki']:lol:

I'm kind of similar in that I have all these games, like over 1,000, and some are big budget or were expensive at one time etc but what do I end up playing lately? 7 Wonders Alien Makeover. ;)

Someone should make a game about collecting games. It could be the Indie Bundle and game sale collector simulator.

My list is so out of control, I wouldn't even know where to start. Definitely I think 2 games is more manageable. I'm also all about shorter games these days.[/QUOTE]

You could add in selling extra games to get more games. Kinda like a Video Game Dope Wars?

[quote name='slofton']Not at all! We encourage all backlog punchingintheface![/QUOTE]
Cool :) I'll get you a list soonish; there's a couple of games I want to wrap up before the end of March, but want to see if I can actually do so first.

[quote name='slofton']You could add in selling extra games to get more games. Kinda like a Video Game Dope Wars?[/QUOTE]
No, No, No, we're talking about getting rid of backlog, not adding to it. ;)
I'm hoping to finish Fallout 3 GOTY by the end of March.
It's fucking awesome!!!!!!

Alrighty everyone, the list is here! Please pm me the 5 games you would like to play off this list.

Trine
Cryostasis
Indigo Prophecy
Jade Empire: Special Edition
Magicka
Overlord
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Alice: Madness Returns
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Metro 2033
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Trilogy
Black Mesa
Darksiders

Ohgosh If I did 2 games a month on backlog it would take me 43.2 years to complete my backlog on steam alone Q_Q 1,037 Games...

[quote name='slofton']Alrighty everyone, the list is here! Please pm me the 5 games you would like to play off this list.

Trine
Cryostasis
Indigo Prophecy
Magicka
Overlord
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Alice: Madness Returns
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Metro 2033
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Trilogy
Black Mesa
Darksiders[/QUOTE]
Ok, I vote for Indigo Prophecy, Overlord, Alice: Madness Returns and Amnesia, (is it ok if I've already beat them) beat indigo prophecy years ago, but lost disk and had to have it on Steam. :bouncy:

Looks like a highly talked about game and enjoyed by a lot of people is taking the lead. But everythings super close, most are seperated by 1 vote.

Annnnnnnnnnnd here's the winners!

Darksiders
Trine
Magicka

Remember, you don't have to play all of them. (Im more than likely completing only 2) But please feels free as to let us know what youre going to be starting first! Also, feel free to pair up with someone if you wish for that little extra gaming and suggest some game from each others backlogs. Got a game that you love and it rarely played? Let them know!

I'm personally starting with Vampire. I keep hearing great things about this game, but have only played it for around an hour. Dont know why I never did. It has all the stuff I love. RPG, Story, choose your own adventure style. So, here it goes!

this is really a cool idea\\:D/ I have all my stuff on backloggery.com, which you all should really check out if you haven't already. Do the games need to have been bough 1+ year ago, or just have been released in that time?

EDIT: didn't realize this had already been finalized. The only one I own is Darksiders (from PS+), so I suppose I'll play that. Gotta beat the last couple levels of Kirby's Epic Yarn first though

I am down for a group to play Magicka,and also Trine. I have never played Magicka so I have some learning to do, but would love to play with others.

My list for April:
Darksiders, Jade Empire, Bioshock Infinite, and Bastion

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slofton']Not at all[/QUOTE]

ok cool:D I wasn't sure because it was in the PC section. I think my list for April, assuming I don't get sidetracked by something new, will be:

Finish
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn (on the last world)
  • Critter Crunch (last few puzzles and challenges)[stuck on puzzle 93]
  • Ratchet and Clank: All4One (playing through with my six year old brother;))
    [*]Alter Ego (about halfway through, probably knock it out today)

Start and hopefully finish
  • Darksiders
  • The Cave
  • Closure
  • Journey
  • Jamestown

Probably to much for one month, but most of these are pretty short. If anyone wants to join up for some of the multiplayer games, my gamertags are in my signature. And I'd be happy to join any of your guy's groups if you want to add me (assuming I have the game);)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well April is off to a decent start for me. Just beat Bioshock Infinite. Man oh man, what a game. I should add that the original Bioshock is one of my 5 favorite games ever, and Infinite really didnt disappoint me at all.

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Finished up with Critter Crunch yesterday. Some of those puzzles were REALLY hard, but I'm proud of doing it all without a guide;)[/QUOTE]

Critter Crunch is like one of the two games my girlfriend will actually play, pretty fun puzzle game from what I've played.

Oh geeze now you guys just reminded me of yet another game in my backlog, Critter Crunch. OTOH it looks fairly casual and short so that's good for trying to get through the backlog.

[quote name='Motoki']Oh geeze now you guys just reminded me of yet another game in my backlog, Critter Crunch. OTOH it looks fairly casual and short so that's good for trying to get through the backlog.[/QUOTE]

Adventure isn't to long, about what you'd expect and want from a puzzle game. If you want to 100% it though, that'll last you a good while (provided you don't use guides for the puzzles, which would be completely pointless IMO)

Started Darksiders tonight, seems like a pretty solid game. Also is on the decent side in terms of length (around 15-20 hours) I've heard. Also grabbed Dead Island in the Amazon sale along with two buddies so gonna try to play through that coop as well.

I'll join in on this. It'll give me motivation to start Jade empire and maybe darksiders on PS3.

I'm about halfway through on Red dead redemption. Is it only me or does it feel like a bunch of mini-missions thrown together? The mechanics are good, and I like the chatter with the NPC, but I have trouble staying motivated to finish.

[quote name='boneless']I'll join in on this. It'll give me motivation to start Jade empire and maybe darksiders on PS3.

I'm about halfway through on Red dead redemption. Is it only me or does it feel like a bunch of mini-missions thrown together? The mechanics are good, and I like the chatter with the NPC, but I have trouble staying motivated to finish.[/QUOTE]

this was how I felt. You just have to push through until the final third, then it really starts moving and feeling more cohesive;)

[quote name='boneless']I'll join in on this. It'll give me motivation to start Jade empire and maybe darksiders on PS3.

I'm about halfway through on Red dead redemption. Is it only me or does it feel like a bunch of mini-missions thrown together? The mechanics are good, and I like the chatter with the NPC, but I have trouble staying motivated to finish.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']this was how I felt. You just have to push through until the final third, then it really starts moving and feeling more cohesive;)[/QUOTE]

I played through RDR when it first released and really loved the setting, story and characters, so I was more than happy to complete all those mini missions, but do see your point. I agree about it picking up towards the end as well, and once the entire map is unlocked its pretty great. Also if you have it, the zombie mode makes the game play quite differently because the zombies are relentlless. I didnt finish that, but it seemed pretty cool.

Also Jade Empire is one of my favorite all time games. I played it back on the original XBOX when it first released and fell in love with it. I'm pretty sure it was actually my first Bioware game, and one of my favorites.

[quote name='MrshllJcb']

Also Jade Empire is one of my favorite all time games. I played it back on the original XBOX when it first released and fell in love with it. I'm pretty sure it was actually my first Bioware game, and one of my favorites.[/QUOTE]

I remember playing it when I just got out of high school. I remember loving it for the 2 hours I played but never finished it. Looking forward to playing it.

WOOT! Making good progress lately! Completed all of Alter Ego last week, and tonight I beat Ratchet and Clank A4O, and finished getting the Sound Shapes platinum\\:D/ For anyone wanting to attempt it, Galaxonoids is far and away the most challenging Death Mode level. Beat that, and you should have the platinum in the bag. I probably spent 1-2 hours on that freaking level:hot:

I think I remember Jade Empire being particularly difficult at a few spots, but who knows at this point, I have a tough time remembering a lot of the game. I've been working a ton at my new job so I havent had much time to play anything for very long periods. Hoping to get a good change to play this weekend, ad maybe I'll actually start up Jade Empire as well.

I decided to start Jade Empire, and Bastion. I've already completed JE, but it was so long ago that I've forgotten most of it. Bastion is pretty excellent so far as well. I've already played for about 3 hours or so, so it looks like I'm getting close to halfway done

I managed to beat Offspring Fling this month. Nothing much else. I've started Batman AC, but aside from that, my backlog is mostly getting worse this month.

I 100%-ed Labyrinth Legends. Really short, pretty meh game. Was glad to be gone with it. Also completed ilomilo 100%, which I totally loved (review shortly). Not sure what I'll start next. Am trying to get through the awful D&D: Daggerfall, but not sure how much more I can take. Might go with Dust, or toil away with Rock Band or Forza (can play them pretty much forever).

I think I'm making pretty good progress, but also picked up 5 or so games these last few weeks, so so much for that:whee:

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']I 100%-ed Labyrinth Legends. Really short, pretty meh game. Was glad to be gone with it. Also completed ilomilo 100%, which I totally loved (review shortly). Not sure what I'll start next. Am trying to get through the awful D&D: Daggerfall, but not sure how much more I can take. Might go with Dust, or toil away with Rock Band or Forza (can play them pretty much forever).

I think I'm making pretty good progress, but also picked up 5 or so games these last few weeks, so so much for that:whee:[/QUOTE]

Daggerfall really that bad? Ugh. I've been looking into that game.

[quote name='slofton']Daggerfall really that bad? Ugh. I've been looking into that game.[/QUOTE]

yeah, only playing it since I got it free. Feels like an early PS2 title in all the wrong ways. I'd skip it if I was you, get Torchlight instead.

This month has been far from "Achieving April" for me. I think I'll platinum Walking Dead and maybe put a dent in Lollipop Chainsaw. I started Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD on the PS3 (played it a few years ago on the PSP), and I forgot how time consuming and involving this game was. Between Main Missions, Extra Ops, and Versus Ops, I don't see myself being done anytime soon.

bread's done
Back