* * * * - 2 votes

Official NHL Not 15 (14) Discussion/CAG Team Thread - Headsets On Pants Off! New Team!

NHL 14 Hockey EASHL Ausfahrt Banditos Not NHL 15 easportsblowsgoats

#1 CAGLeagueSports   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2628 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

CAGLeagueSports

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

One More Time...AGAIN!!!

NHL 15 is crap! EA has forsaken us! Screw odd numbers! #nhl14foreva!!!!

31X81cV3eiL._SL150_.jpg+ desenho-do-pato-donald-24.jpg=

*Well...we made it back to Division 3 with the Ausfahrt Banditos. Time to abandon the team and start anew...again...

Introducing....YOUR...CheapAssGamer.com....Flying...VEGANS!!!! AUSFAHRT BANDITOS!!!! Headsets On Pants Off!!!

The jokes just keep rolling and we keep rolling with them. Do you love the classic hockey movie The Mighty Ducks Sudden Death? Do you love vegetables tacos? If you answered yes to both of those questions, then this team is for you!

Club History
With an amazing streak unrivaled by any sports game community on CAG, this will be the team's 7TH YEAR of play! Yes, we pretty much have a set group of people who have been playing together for years, but as always, we welcome people who are dedicated to the game and want to learn how to play right. The truth is, we don't always have 5 people online. So, there is often at least one spot open for people who want to play within a team unit. And with as pathetic as the AI can often play, we would definitely welcome people who want to play the game the right way.

How We Play
This is a team for people who wish to compete at a high level and learn the correct way to play their position and hockey in general. Your play will be critiqued, and your contributions to the team will be evaluated. This is not to deride anyone for the way they play, but to improve the team and to give us a better chance of winning games and competing for a championship.

If you become a detriment to the team, there is a possiblity you could be cut. Not saying this to scare anybody off...but we're looking for smart, skilled, and committed players.

There are playoffs each month for the three divisions (Amateur, Pro, Elite), and the top five players at their preferred positions (six if we can ever find a reliable/consistent goalie) will be selected for the playoff roster based on statistics compiled during that month. Yes, there is sort of an "established" playoff roster from last year, but no one is untouchable or unwilling to step aside if they are outplayed in a given month. The spots are open for the taking. But it's up to each individual to earn them.

***IMPORTANT***
One thing that we strongly recommend is that you do not use the "Be a Pro" or "Action" camera types. While these angles can be exciting for single player modes, they do a poor job of showing you the ice and which teammates may be open (especially players behind you). Since we strive to play strong team hockey and get everyone involved, it makes sense to be able to see the entire zone as you play. The CAG team advises that you use the "Ice", "Classic", or even "Overhead" cameras.

When We Play
Our official CAG Hockey Nights have fluctuated a bit the past couple years, but you can almost always find us on Friday nights (often Saturday too). We usually start around 10 PM EST and end in the wee hours of the morning. These hockey nights can be filled with ranked games against other EASHL clubs, team practices to improve on basic skills and fundamentals, or even intrasquad games to compete against each other. There are also other random times throughout the week that we play, but Friday night is when you'll always find the team. If you'd like to play, please feel free to join us! If you'd like your information posted on the team roster, please see the "How to Sign Up" section below. See you on the ice!

How To Sign Up
Keep in mind, we have official weekly Hockey Nights on Fridays from 10PM EST - UNTIL (usually 1-2AM EST), and do play other random times as well. The more time you put into the team, the better we'll be and the more you'll get out of it.

If you're interested in taking part in these fun and awesome community gatherings, just find the team in the game (search "VEG" or "Flying Vegans"), and send a join request. And be sure to post in the thread and include the following information:
Number | CAG Name | XBL Gamertag | Skater Name | Preferred Position

Webpage

http://www.easportsw...X/2528/overview

Roster
Number | CAG Name | XBL Gamertag | Skater Name | Preferred Position | Hockey Card
#2 | Vulcan2422 | Vulcan7905 | Gary Russell | Right D |
#21 | moojuice | moojuiced | The Fajita Incident | Left Field (more like left out, m i rite) |
#24 | DarkTower80 | DarkTower80 | Corkey Buchek | Right Wing/Right Defenseman |
#39 | n8rockerasu | n8rocker82 | Phallic Food | Center/Left Defenseman/Left Wing |
#71 | jza1218 | statnut28 | Amatuer Banner | LW |

Coach Alan's Corner

Getting The Most Out of Your Player
The following guide will show you how to best distribute your points and which boosts you should apply based on the cost of raising each attribute. Setting your player up wisely will give you an edge over the competition!

http://www.operation...81&postcount=10

Custom Soundpack
As you may or may not know, NHL 12 allows people to set their own custom playlists for in game events (team intros, goals, penalties, etc.). The great thing about this is you can stream the music from your computer and have the playlists pre-set. All you have to do is assign them to the specific events in game. You can find the pack here, along with full instructions on how to install it.

NHL 12 Soundpack
http://forum.ea.com/...st/5743466.page

Older Soundpack
http://www.thebreaka...ead.php?t=21508

NHL 14 Pre-Release Info

#2 Matt Young   Follow the buzzards CAGiversary!   15183 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Matt Young

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Thanks, Nate.

#3 moojuice   False? CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:27 PM

In regards to the collision physics, i'm at work on my phone... someone post those FIFA videos for me please. Kthxbye

#4 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:27 PM

In regards to the collision physics, i'm at work on my phone... someone post those FIFA videos for me please. Kthxbye

Yeah, all the physics talk is just becoming extreme hyperbole at this point. Every year it's "physics" or "engine" or "collision system"...and it's all basically the same thing. I'll even admit, the footage in the trailer actually looks pretty good...but I'm sure it was made with people trying to play like a real hockey game. They act like this game exists in a vacuum. Try playing the game the wrong way and see if you get punished for it. That's how you measure a game. Hmm...I might go post this on EA's page.

#5 sendme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5117 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

I just can't help but remember how it was when they announced 13 along with the demo for 13. The game seemed like it was going to be really good then when it came out felt different than the demo. The demo felt better than the actual game. I think I will hold off for a few months on this one till I hear how it plays and how HUT is.

#6 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 15 April 2013 - 07:56 PM

Since I bailed on 13, and got out only having lost $15, I'll feel better buying this game at launch. All I'm counting on is it being some form of improvement from 13 (which shouldn't be too hard). Based on what I can gather from the "features" list, it seems like the only changes we can count on so far are 3rd person fighting is back (with an alleged "Fight Night" level system), and transitioning Be A Pro to Be A Sean Avery...where you can treat your teammates and the media like shit, apparently.

The last point about EASHL, I don't understand at all. WTF is a "promotion and relegation system"? It makes it sound like you're only going to be matched up with teams in the same division as you (yeah fucking right). But without that being true...it sounds exactly the same as always. Why list it?

#7 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3366 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Live the Life? Can I live the life of Patrick Kane?
Posted Image

#8 Vulcan2422   Merchandiser With The Mouth CAGiversary!   5201 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:26 PM

http://imgur.com/MFQo5jo

#9 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

http://imgur.com/MFQo5jo

LMAO...ah, God. I'm so ashamed that that's basically me. But...but...monopoly. It's either this or Tiddly Winks 2K14. :oops:

#10 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13138 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 15 April 2013 - 09:43 PM

Yeah, there's no way I'm getting this anywhere near launch. I don't think EA will improve much if anything at all over last year's shitshow. I'll consider this at $20, otherwise I'll pick up a cheap NHL 12 to satisfy my occasional hockey fix.

#11 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Yeah, there's no way I'm getting this anywhere near launch. I don't think EA will improve much if anything at all over last year's shitshow. I'll consider this at $20, otherwise I'll pick up a cheap NHL 12 to satisfy my occasional hockey fix.

Surprisingly, NHL 12 is still $25 used at Gamestop (DarkTower discovered this when his disc cracked after the game froze on him). And it's like $19 new from Amazon. It should definitely drop more once 14 comes out...but I'm sure the online will be shut down then too. That's actually the biggest thing that will push me into buying 14. I'm sure as hell not buying 13, and the CAG Hockey Team has to have somewhere to play.

#12 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13138 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

It'll go cheaper once 14 is released. Online play isn't a big deal to me at this point so I'll wait for the price the game's worth.

#13 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:33 PM

Oh God, here we go again... :roll:

https://col126.mail....ages/award1.jpg

Apparently, 26 developer's mothers think their child is special. The other 4 are like "Bring back 2K hockey!"

#14 mightyduck   It's Knuckle Puck time! CAGiversary!   216 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

mightyduck

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:38 PM

The improved "Be a Pro Career Mode" sounds pretty interesting. If it's anything like what the Show or NBA 2k does, that would be much improved. Also very excited about the return of third person fighting, as silly as that sounds.

#15 twick87  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:40 PM

Lol I was wondering how long it would take before someone made this thread. I'll just be happy if they fix the season length in GM Connected.

#16 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:44 PM

Oh, and here you go, Alan. This one is hilarious.

#17 moojuice   False? CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

Since I bailed on 13, and got out only having lost $15, I'll feel better buying this game at launch. All I'm counting on is it being some form of improvement from 13 (which shouldn't be too hard). Based on what I can gather from the "features" list, it seems like the only changes we can count on so far are 3rd person fighting is back (with an alleged "Fight Night" level system), and transitioning Be A Pro to Be A Sean Avery...where you can treat your teammates and the media like shit, apparently.

The last point about EASHL, I don't understand at all. WTF is a "promotion and relegation system"? It makes it sound like you're only going to be matched up with teams in the same division as you (yeah fucking right). But without that being true...it sounds exactly the same as always. Why list it?

I would imagine that the relegation is like in soccer, where at the end of a season, the bottom X# of teams move down a division, and the top X# of teams move up. The middle stay put. This is only when the season is over, unlike now where you can move up and down divisions at a moments notice. Ideally, this means that there will be more divisions, and you only play teams in your division, but knowing EA, you probably won't, and you'll get more points if you beat a higher division team, and less for beating a lower division team.

#18 moojuice   False? CAGiversary!   4393 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:58 PM

Oh, and here you go, Alan. This one is hilarious.

Oh god, now I am imagining how contact with goalies will be. Ugh. I really want to give NHL14 the benefit of the doubt, but the past few games really have made it difficult to do so.

#19 Matt Young   Follow the buzzards CAGiversary!   15183 Posts   Joined 14.2 Years Ago  

Matt Young

Posted 15 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

I know it's not a critical area that they needed to address, but I always loved the third person Fight Night style fighting that was in NHL 08. I'm glad they're implementing a similar system for 14.

#20 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4893 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:19 AM

We'll see is what I have to say to this.

#21 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:45 AM

I would imagine that the relegation is like in soccer, where at the end of a season, the bottom X# of teams move down a division, and the top X# of teams move up. The middle stay put. This is only when the season is over, unlike now where you can move up and down divisions at a moments notice. Ideally, this means that there will be more divisions, and you only play teams in your division, but knowing EA, you probably won't, and you'll get more points if you beat a higher division team, and less for beating a lower division team.

That sounds amazing in theory. My confidence in EA being able to not screw it up...mehhhh...lol. I'd be fine with teams "qualifying" for a division depending on your play in the previous month as long as it meant you only play teams from that division the next month. Then, they could do something like top 100 teams in the division get promoted/bottom 100 in the division get demoted. That would be great if it meant you were playing teams on your level more often.

Oh god, now I am imagining how contact with goalies will be. Ugh. I really want to give NHL14 the benefit of the doubt, but the past few games really have made it difficult to do so.

Yeah, honestly, in general, I think that type of collision is eventually the right direction for sports games. I just don't think the game engine can pull it off right now. I don't know if maybe it's a limitation with the current generation of consoles, or what. But I feel the same way with Madden. The IDEA of players bouncing off of each other and body parts moving independently is a good one. But when the result is players getting stuck on each other, planking on open air, levitating off of each other, etc, it just isn't worth it.

The physics and collisions may not have been as realistic in NHL 10 or NHL 11...but at least they weren't glitch inducing and were fair to everyone. That's the kind of stuff that you say "Ok, it's a video game." Not..."I reached my stick through a perfectly positioned defenseman's body to score a goal! I'm awesome!" If I'm 6'3" 220lbs with 99 checking and 99 strength and line up my hit right, a 5'10" 180lb guy should go down. Who cares how he falls? It's a one vs one interaction. There should be a winner and a loser. That's all that matters.

As for contact with the goalies, they just need to make up their damn minds. Either take it out entirely like it was in NHL 11. Or call goalie interference strictly...which means even more than it was called in NHL 12, and way the hell more than it was called in NHL 13. Otherwise, yeah, I can see goalies being "floated" into the corner with this kind of collision system.

#22 CookieParty   Artist formerly known as Burritoman CAGiversary!   3260 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

CookieParty

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:05 AM

I'd buy, but I figure they'll go on strike or get locked out next year...so what's the use?

From reading here, it looks like I need to find my copy of 2k5 to play on PS2.

#23 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:13 AM

I'd buy, but I figure they'll go on strike or get locked out next year...so what's the use?

From reading here, it looks like I need to find my copy of 2k5 to play on PS2.

Expecting EA to screw the game up is one thing...but the labor deal that was just agreed to guarantees 8 years of hockey before another lock out/strike can happen. There will definitely be a full NHL season starting in October.

#24 mvp828   It's not CAGers Dammit CAGs CAGiversary!   2569 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

The relegation/division system sounds similar to COD (or at least how some of you guys have described it). Although I'm sure just like Treyarch did with Black Ops 2 it will be completely random. Their system goes by wins and wins alone. Kill/death and score/minute mean absolutely nothing along with whether or not you do the objectives. They then have it set up like this:

Platinum
Gold
Silver
Bronze
(some others that I have seen but don't remember what they were)

Then in each of those divisions there are multiple subdivisions. After playing 5 qualifying matches you get thrown into one of those tiers and placed in a subdivision. From there the more you win the higher you climb and then at some point (no idea how it's figured) they throw you into a the next tier if you are winning a lot.

Most of that would seem to work in NHL except for the fact I'm guessing it wouldn't need as many subdivisions seeing as their isn't nearly as many teams (or people in COD).

I do like seeing them add the divisions for HUT though. My one complaint with HUT all along has been always getting matched up with the guy who seems to take it upon himself to pay the salary of the CEO of EA by spending $300+ on packs. Although it is always fun to get a win on the person that does that too.

#25 sendme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5117 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:26 AM

That's what turned me away from HUT in the first place. The cost is just too high for what you get. To me it seems like you have to spend some money or get lucky with the packs unless you are really good at NHL 13. I'm not bad when it comes to the rookie setting however pro is where I'm lucky if I can get a win. So I can get 300 to 600 pucks a game however all I get are 6 game contracts and by the time they are up I have to hope I can get more in the packs. I also seem to have to swap out players and have to use players that are a 60 over all due to the lack of contracts. I can't see the point in spending the money every week so what I get in points from Bing tend to go on packs. It seems like HUT is built for good players or players with money. I hope it isn't the same in 14 however this is EA we are talking about.

#26 DarkTower80   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1457 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

DarkTower80

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

EA Sports:

Posted Image

#27 GLOCKGLOCK   Guardians Make Their Own Fate CAGiversary!   4331 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

I'm sure the relegation system will be exactly the same as it is in FIFA 13. They have had something similar in FIFA for a few years now, but they originally called it online seasons which was outside of FUT (fifa equivalet of HUT). This season they added it to FUT mode as well but truthfully I played very little of it. I do think there is an online and offline version of it in FUT so you can just play CPU teams if you don't want to go up against the big spenders in online FUT.

Why did you guys give up on NHL 13 and go back to NHL 12?

#28 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

I'm sure the relegation system will be exactly the same as it is in FIFA 13. They have had something similar in FIFA for a few years now, but they originally called it online seasons which was outside of FUT (fifa equivalet of HUT). This season they added it to FUT mode as well but truthfully I played very little of it. I do think there is an online and offline version of it in FUT so you can just play CPU teams if you don't want to go up against the big spenders in online FUT.

Yeah, but NHL has basically had "online seasons" for years now too. In EASHL, you have your Amateur, Pro, and Elite divisions that you could place into at any time during a season if you got enough points from your wins. The problem was the matchmaking was terrible. It was not uncommon for an Amateur team to get matched up with a top 10 Elite team multiple times in a night. Each month was considered a "season", and at the end, you would compete in the playoffs for whatever division you placed into.

Again, though...the matchmaking was terrible. A team in the Amateur playoffs could get matched up with an Elite team. So, teams were winning "Elite" banners by beating Amateur teams. Not to mention, despite limiting clubs to only one game at a time by having a single locker room (as opposed to NHL 10 where clubs could have multiple games going at once, if you remember), it was always still a race to see who could play the most games. We got matched up with the #1 team on Saturday night...who on April 13th, had already played 206 games for that month. It's ridiculous.

So, regardless of what fancy name EA wants to dress it up with it, I just hope the "promotion and relegation system" works...because what they've had the past few years has been a joke.

Why did you guys give up on NHL 13 and go back to NHL 12?

Whew, this is going to be long, lol. I'll spoiler it so it doesn't clutter the thread, but for anyone who cares...
Spoiler

#29 doubledown   Funky Daddy CAGiversary!   11758 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Wow, didn't realize people hated NHL 13. At first it was a bit of a learning curve, but I've enjoyed it now. I'm curious of the sales of NHL 14 will be with the Next Gen right around the corner.

#30 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16910 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:36 PM

Wow, didn't realize people hated NHL 13. At first it was a bit of a learning curve, but I've enjoyed it now. I'm curious of the sales of NHL 14 will be with the Next Gen right around the corner.

In what way was there a learning curve? If you're talking about just the new skating, I could see. But I don't know what there is to learn about goalies being too quick and penalties not being called. Maybe learning that the game was crap? lol. Reviews for the game reflect the same thing. It was the lowest reviewed game in the series since NHL 07.

GM Connected was also awful and not user friendly at all. The menus were horrendously slow, and you were required to play all 82 games in the season (especially ironic since this season didn't even have 82 games). We had a league of like 24 people on CAG, and what it created was two completely undesirable options. Either A) we kept an insane pace of playing 4-5 games a week. Or B) we simmed a large majority of the games...which gave people little control over whether or not they made the playoffs.

An online franchise isn't really worth much without the possibility of going through multiple seasons (otherwise prospects mean nothing, draft picks mean nothing, and trading is much more limited). GM Connected in NHL 13 didn't really give people a chance to have a multi-season league...at least not in the sense that Madden, NBA, and MLB leagues are used to. That's just poor game design. I come down hard on NHL 13, but it's only because this is my favorite game series, and I expected more out of it. When people on forums are noticing problems and coming up with better ideas within the first couple hours of playing the game, it just feels like a lazy effort from EA.