3ds xl case?

kme06d

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I just purchased a 3ds xl off of Amazon Warehouse Deals and I'm looking to get a case before it comes in. The only ones I've seen are hard backed thick cases. I'll just be carrying this system in my purse so I really just need to protect it from scratches and I'd also like to carry around 3 or so games with it. Anyone have any case suggestions?

It's not a case but I got one of the pouches from Club Nintendo and I like it a lot. I do not put games in the pouch with it but I have on of those game cases that can carry 4 games and I throw than in my murse with the 3DS. My Target had some Avengers sleeves/pouches on clearance in the shape of a t-shirt that had a pocket that fits a cartridge or two. I think they were like $7. I used to have a zippered case for my regular 3DS but those are way too bulky IMO.

I just purchased two of these Power A wallets officially licensed by Nintendo from some guy on eBay. Waiting for it to arrive, but he's got them on sale for $4.99 on sale. It's actually a DSi XL case but I've read everywhere that it fits the 3DS XL just fine. I also bought an extra DSi XL stylus pen (the big one) since the wallet has a place for em. It also has room for 3 games.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Power-A...=US_Video_Game_Cases_Bags&hash=item53f7b5a6bb

He's only got brown and red, though. There's also a video review for it on Amazon with a guy trying a 3DS XL on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Official-Nintendo-System-Wallet-DSi-DS/dp/B0035LBLWC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='VileEighty']I just purchased two of these Power A wallets officially licensed by Nintendo from some guy on eBay. Waiting for it to arrive, but he's got them on sale for $4.99 on sale. It's actually a DSi XL case but I've read everywhere that it fits the 3DS XL just fine. I also bought an extra DSi XL stylus pen (the big one) since the wallet has a place for em. It also has room for 3 games.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Power-A...=US_Video_Game_Cases_Bags&hash=item53f7b5a6bb

He's only got brown and red, though.[/QUOTE]

Funny you should mention that one. I saw it earlier. That review still made me a bit iffy on it though, too many cons. I bought a blue 3ds xl so I'd prefer either a blue or black case for my system. Let me know how that case is. I may reconsider if it seems solid.

[quote name='eliter1']It's not a case but I got one of the pouches from Club Nintendo and I like it a lot. I do not put games in the pouch with it but I have on of those game cases that can carry 4 games and I throw than in my murse with the 3DS. My Target had some Avengers sleeves/pouches on clearance in the shape of a t-shirt that had a pocket that fits a cartridge or two. I think they were like $7. I used to have a zippered case for my regular 3DS but those are way too bulky IMO.[/QUOTE]

I just ordered one of those and it came this afternoon. I may use that as a temp. Solution until I find a case I like. Thanks for the idea!

[quote name='CAGkrazy']If you just need protecting from scratches and will only put it inside a purse and If you have nintendo coins to use i recommend getting this.

https://club.nintendo.com/rewards-details/a/18505.do

Then just buy those cartridge cases separately.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! That's actually what I was referring to in my post above. I've got one already, but I'd still like an actual case.

So the wallet case arrived in the mail today. I'm pretty happy with it. The outside is this really pleasing-to-the-touch pleather material, and the inside is like... freakin suede or something. It's almost... classy.

Except of course all the elastic material is a stark reminder of it's intended home in the hands of the bourgeoisie.

1gcxh.jpg

At any rate, if you saw the Amazon review, I would say most of that is accurate. It does need to be broken in until you can start sliding the 3DS XL in there without effort. I tried pushing it in this way first:

35a96rr.jpg

And I really had to force it in. I checked my DS for damages though and it went in unscathed. After that, I slid it in this way:

23uqxi9.jpg

And it went in remarkably smoother. Maybe it was already broken in beforehand from going in shoulder-button-first? I don't know. Anyway, the ONLY real gripe I have with this is that it's kinda tough to get it out of there once it's settled in. The easiest ways I could do this were pulling on the strap+charms I had on there to ease it out first, or clunkily stick my fingers into these openings on either side and pushing it up and out:

15drts1.jpg

So that's that. Also I'd add that the eBay thing I linked earlier, the guy is selling them for $5. I believe Amazon has them for $25. The price was too good for me to pass up the chance it'd be right for me, so I bit. And I think I'm sticking with it for now!

Also: the stylus pen in the pictures, I bought separately.

[quote name='UndyingForce']I like the pouch on this site:

[/QUOTE]
I just ordered that one. I thought about getting cityslicker case, but I'll try the cheaper one first.

The only difference I can tell from my 3DSXL case and the original 3ds version of the cityslicker is the lack of an additional stylus holder (because the 3DS XL only came with one stylus to my knowledge, and it's held in the device.) The back fabric really is a unique mesh that has a good amount of stretch to it. I don't know if I'd want to keep a power brick in their 24/7, but it will hold some relatively flat stuff with ease, and the case will also close quite well with the power brick in back too.

Pics of mine with 3DSXL

IibtA6s.jpg

s2VTy3i.jpg

MCyS6TO.jpg

[quote name='VileEighty']So the wallet case arrived in the mail today. I'm pretty happy with it. The outside is this really pleasing-to-the-touch pleather material, and the inside is like... freakin suede or something. It's almost... classy.

Except of course all the elastic material is a stark reminder of it's intended home in the hands of the bourgeoisie.

1gcxh.jpg

At any rate, if you saw the Amazon review, I would say most of that is accurate. It does need to be broken in until you can start sliding the 3DS XL in there without effort. I tried pushing it in this way first:

35a96rr.jpg

And I really had to force it in. I checked my DS for damages though and it went in unscathed. After that, I slid it in this way:

23uqxi9.jpg

And it went in remarkably smoother. Maybe it was already broken in beforehand from going in shoulder-button-first? I don't know. Anyway, the ONLY real gripe I have with this is that it's kinda tough to get it out of there once it's settled in. The easiest ways I could do this were pulling on the strap+charms I had on there to ease it out first, or clunkily stick my fingers into these openings on either side and pushing it up and out:

15drts1.jpg

So that's that. Also I'd add that the eBay thing I linked earlier, the guy is selling them for $5. I believe Amazon has them for $25. The price was too good for me to pass up the chance it'd be right for me, so I bit. And I think I'm sticking with it for now!

Also: the stylus pen in the pictures, I bought separately.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that review! I ended up ordering a black one from another seller on ebay for $10 shipped. It should arrive this week. It looks to be just what I'm looking for!

[quote name='killjoy188']I just ordered that one. I thought about getting cityslicker case, but I'll try the cheaper one first.[/QUOTE]

I just needed something slim and simple. Purchased this one myself. Getting an ipod touch soon. Will eventually come back to this site for another pouch.

As an update to @VileEighty, I just got my wallet case in the mail. I made sure to stretch it out a bit before putting my system in and I had no difficulties. I just stick my fingers in the top and bottom and stretch the elastic to get the system out. The case is a bit thicker than I had thought it would be, but it almost looks like a little notebook or something when it's closed. I don't imagine I'll have any problems carrying it around in my purse.

[quote name='kme06d']That one looks good too! How hard is it to open? Most of the comments mention that as a negative.[/QUOTE]

Not bad at all. Maybe an issue for little kids as you do have to press pretty firmly on the latch.

It's a bit bulky/heavy--but sturdy so good for drops. I just toss mine in my over night bag that get's chucked in my car etc. so I wanted something reasonably solid. But definitely not ideal for carrying around in a purse etc.

any cases with a zipper? I don't really like these tablet like covers as parts are still exposed.

When I use to handheld game I never really had a case. I would put the gbp/gbc/gba/sp in my pocket. The ds/psp were a bit bigger so I would just put it in my bag inside a zipper bag or a box... lol

[quote name='Gamer SDP']any cases with a zipper? I don't really like these tablet like covers as parts are still exposed.

When I use to handheld game I never really had a case. I would put the gbp/gbc/gba/sp in my pocket. The ds/psp were a bit bigger so I would just put it in my bag inside a zipper bag or a box... lol[/QUOTE]

Look at my post earlier in this thread. Nothing is exposed.

I never posted my impressions of the SFbags jacket I purchased so here we go...

I am a minimalist type person. I do not need to bring everything with me when I leave my house. I just needed something that would cover my 3DS XL to prevent scratches and help carry some games and this cover fits the bill. It comes for the OG 3DS also and you have the option to omit the pouch. It fits the 3DS like a glove and my favorite feature is the jacket doubles as a cleaning cloth. My 3DS screens have never been so clean. I recommend this to anyone that just wants to carry their 3DS around without all the other gear.

Link:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/nintendo/nintendo-3ds.php

Photos:

i4n5et.jpg

16lelon.jpg

nnr5l4.jpg

I never posted my impressions of the SFbags jacket I purchased so here we go...

I am a minimalist type person. I do not need to bring everything with me when I leave my house. I just needed something that would cover my 3DS XL to prevent scratches and help carry some games and this cover fits the bill. It comes for the OG 3DS also and you have the option to omit the pouch. It fits the 3DS like a glove and my favorite feature is the jacket doubles as a cleaning cloth. My 3DS screens have never been so clean. I recommend this to anyone that just wants to carry their 3DS around without all the other gear.

Link:

http://www.sfbags.com/products/nintendo/nintendo-3ds.php

Photos:

i4n5et.jpg

16lelon.jpg

nnr5l4.jpg
I'm thinking about getting this. I have a DS case right now, but I really have less is better. I just wish that my charger could fit in this one.

I bought that RocketFish PS Vita starter kit from BB on clearance for $3. Works great and nice fit for the XL with a second compartment for accessories like charger.

Ok, just got my fanny pack/murse.

http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/pork-chop-belt-pack/2114828

Yeah, I know what I'm getting myself into. But I really support Timbuk2 (all their products are durable) and this particular pack allows me to actually carry my 3ds xl around. And there's still plenty of other space for other things if desired (phone, keys, wallet, etc.).

I wear it like a fanny pack on my right side fixed with my belt. The belt I use is a basic military style Columbia brand belt (fairly sturdy as well).

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Cotton-Washed-Webbing-Black/dp/B001FOR2CY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376606222&sr=8-1&keywords=columbia+belt

It's basically like a glorified Camera belt pouch. However it lays flat and doesn't bulge out. I also like the look of it being square and not having those tapered belt ends regular fanny packs have.

If I'm paranoid about the 3ds getting damaged or want to carry more games, I also use the AmazonBasics case in tandem. Still fits with plenty of room.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Carrying-Case-Nintendo-3DS-Lite/dp/B0050SVPCO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376606515&sr=8-1&keywords=amazonbasics+3ds+xl+case

I would recommend that as well since it has straps to secure the 3ds xl.

With this setup. I really feel like I can make use of the 3ds xl street/spotpass and pedometer functions.

Now, I have cargo pants/shorts so why not just put my 3ds in there? If you've ever put something with at least some weight into a cargo pocket you'll know what I'm talking about. Your thigh constantly swings back and forth. And there's nothing to secure said item in the cargo pocket, so it constantly fumbles around. Also, if I put something in their, I would most certainly forget about it. Most extreme situation would be that my 3ds xl goes in the washer, but that'd most likely not happen.

Alright, for the tl;dr here are the pros and cons of the Timbuk2 Pork Chop Belt Pouch

Pros:

-Plenty of room to fit 3ds xl (case too if desired) and other items

-Can be used with any belt (sturdier, the better).

-Attaches to hip (less movement)

-Lays flat, doesn't bulge out.

-Very durable, and items stay secure.

Cons:

-Glorified fanny pack/murse.

-$25+ (not that I think it's worth it, but this isn't priced to CAG standards).

Notes: No matter how you look at it, using a fanny pack is a fashion faux pas. In my case, I purchased the black one. IMO it stands out less than the other colors. The best positioning for this I found was on the exact side of your hip. If you wear in the front or back, it'll get in the way, when you either have to sit down in a chair, reach for your pant pockets, or need to take off the belt (bathroom, hanky panky).

One thing I have to test is permeability. I don't know how well streetpass would work when covered by the pouch (i doubt it'll be that much different from being in your pocket) and the pouch/case combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back