PS3 just died. Should I wait for PS4 or buy another PS3?

walls99

CAGiversary!
:cry: My Backwards compatible 80 GB PS3 just YLOD.

I know that the PS4 is coming out and that E3 is around the corner. Sony has not been crystal clear on the backwards compatibility of the PS4 to play PS3 games. Should I buy another PS3 or wait for the PS4 to come out. Has Sony traditionally reduced the price of a console around E3 ?

If I should get a PS3, in your opinion, should I get the slim or super slim ?

Are there any non-gaming features that the super-slim is missing, blu-ray/DVD codecs wise or anything ? Forgive me if this is a dumb question.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Arakias']Buy another PS3 if you have PS3 games you want to play. Get the slim (not super slim). That's all I can say.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice.

Any specific reasons to avoid the super slim ?

I would go for the super slim just for the fact that you have easy access to the laser and don't have to rip the entire thing apart like on the slim.

If you can wait tthre will probably be a price drop after ps4 releases. I plan on getting a super slim as a backup once they hit $100 in a few years. Uncharted and Resistance is something I will want my kids to experience.

[quote name='sgand']I would go for the super slim just for the fact that you have easy access to the laser and don't have to rip the entire thing apart like on the slim.[/QUOTE]

Plan on opening up mine regularly. Mine looked clean, but once hit with compressed air I was surprised at all the dust that came out. In fact it prompted me to buy a 360 disassembly kit. One of these days Im going to put new thermal paste on preemptively.

Send it to sony. I sent mine in, and it cost $107 (with tax), which is a lot cheaper then buying a new one. Plus the new one will not be backwards compatible.

[quote name='walls99']Sony has not been crystal clear on the backwards compatibility of the PS4 to play PS3 games.[/QUOTE]

yes they have. its not backwards compatible with discs. youll only be able to stream ps3 games with gaikai

[quote name='8bitArtist']yes they have. its not backwards compatible with discs. youll only be able to stream ps3 games with gaikai[/QUOTE]

Does that mean that when I put my ps3 disc in, it will stream the game using Gaikai ?

[quote name='Bug42']Send it to sony. I sent mine in, and it cost $107 (with tax), which is a lot cheaper then buying a new one. Plus the new one will not be backwards compatible.[/QUOTE]

That's an awesome price. I'll call Sony and see what they say.

[quote name='walls99']Does that mean that when I put my ps3 disc in, it will stream the game using Gaikai ?[/QUOTE]

No.

It means that even though you "might" be able to shove the disc down its throat, it still won't play any PS3 games. From what it seems like, PS3 games will be fully digital. If you want to play PS3 games with a physical disc, you'll NEED a PS3.

I wouldn't give up the PS3 for dead even with PS4 coming this year. I could even see Sony doing what Bluray has with DVDs for first party titles, where you buy PS4 games and get the PS3 copy free. This is the first generation where old generation games are being phased out slowly by being developed on both platforms, so I see no rush to get the new system until the exclusives arrive.

PS3 still has a lot of life to live.

[quote name='Jodou']I wouldn't give up the PS3 for dead even with PS4 coming this year. I could even see Sony doing what Bluray has with DVDs for first party titles, where you buy PS4 games and get the PS3 copy free. This is the first generation where old generation games are being phased out slowly by being developed on both platforms, so I see no rush to get the new system until the exclusives arrive.

PS3 still has a lot of life to live.[/QUOTE]

If they did that (which I highly doubt), why would you want to play the PS3 version? Additionally there were games that came out on PS2 as well as 360 and PS3 for a few years, it's nothing new. Most of the games announced for PS4 are not coming out on PS3. I really hope there aren't a lot of PS4 games that are also made for PS3 (or Wii U) as that will just bring down the PS4 version.

Back to the topic at hand... I am planning on getting a PS4 at launch and I don't expect to buy many PS3 games after I get a PS4, but I'm still going to keep one to play the great PS3 exclusives of the past 7 years. Plus there are still a few coming out before the PS4 (The Last of Us and Beyond), I'd get another PS3.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']If they did that (which I highly doubt), why would you want to play the PS3 version? Additionally there were games that came out on PS2 as well as 360 and PS3 for a few years, it's nothing new. Most of the games announced for PS4 are not coming out on PS3.[/QUOTE]
Because you might not own a PS4 yet? And I suppose I forgot the fact that games like guitar hero were still being released on PS2/3 because they're not graphics intense. Generally though when a game is developed simultaneously for separate hardware (e.g. PS2 vs Gameboy), they end up being totally different games.

While there's a lot not coming to PS3, they're mostly first party titles and I must admit Deep Down (Dragon's Dogma sequel) will be the sole reason I'd want a PS4 if it's a launch title. Otherwise I'll be enjoying Watch Dogs, among others, this holiday on my PS3.

Get slim, super maybe be a bit expensive now, when the ps4 comes out, it will be hell of expensive, not to mention the very few good games it will have...

I would have to get another one if it was me. I couldn't wait 5-6 months for a new system. I plan on keeping my PS3 anyways when the PS4 comes out. If for nothing else I want another blu ray/netflix device.

I would get a slim.

If you are looking to play games, PS4 doesn't sounds like a gaming/dollar value as many of the extra features have to do with streaming games, uploading game clips, and instant save features.

As far as games (like every console that has ever been released) the PS4 will be barebones during the first holiday season aside from maybe 1-2 core games. If you plan on gaming a lot you will be forced to spend extra money on digital PS3 titles.

Buy the PS3 slim and give the PS4 another year to establish a library worth playing.

I'm in the same boat. My PS3 just died a couple days ago, YLOD. Still trying to figure out what to do.

Hoping it's the power supply, but don't want to drop $30 if I can't guarantee that's the real problem.

If I've opened m PS3 previously, will Sony even touch it if I call them to get it repaired?

It all depends on how many games you have for the PS3, there are rumors that the PS4 will not be backwards compatible.

I have about 45(unbeaten) physical games and about 18 PSN Full game titles on my main account.... If my PS3 Slim died, I would HAVE to buy a new/used one because this is about... ~$740 worth of digitally downloaded games that I CANNOT sell.

The only reason I see to wait (assuming you still have PS3 games and a desire to play them) is for an E3 PS3 price drop, which may or may not happen. I don't see PS4 having PS3 BC via disc happening based on what Sony has said to date.

I also don't care for the super slim, and for me, every day waiting is a day that regular PS3 availability is dropping.

Damn, looks like the next Batman will be PS3.

Anyone here try a YLOD solder reflow before? Think I'm going to try my hand at it. Any suggestions?

bread's done
Back