* * * * * 17 votes

GameStop TIV/Promos Thread XX: Old thread, new thread in first/last post.

gamestop TIV trade-in value credit trades database

#31 KryllFood   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   252 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

KryllFood

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

You get one or the other; 30% or the 3/5/7 bonus, not both. The system will usually select the one that nets the most for you.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'll pass by tonight and check it out.

#32 bob330i   just lookin' CAGiversary!   3490 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:57 PM

At this point do I get a gift card for $13 + $35 from 3/5/7 deal? For a total of $48?

If there is extra credit to be had over the preorder price, I'm 99% sure they'll put the extra on a GC.

I've only heard periodic issues (in this forum) with stores enforcing this policy although I have not run into this issue ever at any of my stores. I've just had them put the leftovers on my trade in card.

#33 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36942 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Haha I traded it yesterday for $10 base. Guess it did go up a dollar.

It's not that big a deal for me; it's just weird/slightly frustrating that that happens.

In other news: In the span of 24 hours, I sold my copy of Metro 2033 (:360:) for $42 after fees on Amazon Marketplace, so there's definitely a market out there for it.

#34 Stellar Inertia   Completionist CAGiversary!   4399 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Stellar Inertia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

It's not that big a deal for me; it's just weird/slightly frustrating that that happens.

In other news: In the span of 24 hours, I sold my copy of Metro 2033 (:360:) for $42 after fees on Amazon Marketplace, so there's definitely a market out there for it.

Dang thats a lot for metro. Crazy. I got my copy for 800 MSP. Im happy for you getting so much. And yea $1 doesnt bother me at all. I was happy with $16 since I paid less.

#35 Vigilante   The Deal Is Already Dead CAGiversary!   36942 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:18 PM

Dang thats a lot for metro. Crazy. I got my copy for 800 MSP. Im happy for you getting so much. And yea $1 doesnt bother me at all. I was happy with $16 since I paid less.

It probably helped that it was a Like New condition among several Very Good or Good conditions. ;)

#36 NeedleInTheHay   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   1103 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

NeedleInTheHay

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for all your hard work JP!

#37 usagi   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1187 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

So I have the 120 first slim, how does that fit in with whatever bonus they are running for ps3's right now?

Also would $28 be a good spot to dump dualshocks? Have three extra ones now.

You can 30% extra on your PS3 trade. Regarding the dualshocks have you thought about renewing/signing up for Powerup Rewards Pro for $15, to get the 50% trade-in coupon on everything. Using the coupon I got about $32 for PS3 Dualshock 3 controller.

#38 Lulgasms   Resident Xbone hater CAGiversary!   1020 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

You can 30% extra on your PS3 trade. Regarding the dualshocks have you thought about renewing/signing up for Powerup Rewards Pro for $15, to get the 50% trade-in coupon on everything. Using the coupon I got about $32 for PS3 Dualshock 3 controller.

Hoping this logic applies to their PS vita trade in quote. Up to $130 so I'd wager it went up to $100 base? If I can get $150 with the bonus coupon sayonara vita. I hardly knew ye.

#39 irideabike   no show CAGiversary!   6039 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

irideabike

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

Thank you. I just renewed my PRP card about 2-3 weeks before they started that coupon promo so no go on that I'm afraid :(

Edit: how do they have up to 169 on their trade in value on their website?

#40 irideabike   no show CAGiversary!   6039 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

irideabike

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Just got quoted on the phone $110 credit for a 120gb slim ps3 (I'm guessing I get the 30% off that?). $150 doesn't seem terrible for my dust collector.

#41 usagi   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1187 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Thank you. I just renewed my PRP card about 2-3 weeks before they started that coupon promo so no go on that I'm afraid :(

Edit: how do they have up to 169 on their trade in value on their website?

You could renew again, but you would have a 2 year subscription instead lol. The trade-in value mentions a generic PS3 label, so it probably means the most expensive PS3(largest hard drive and etc) after 30% bonus.

#42 Gertle627   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1288 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

360 tivs

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 - $22
Disney Sing It High School Musical 3 - $0.50
Halo 4 - $10

#43 coolrust   Kupalizm Mode CAGiversary!   862 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

coolrust

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

sorry if already been asked, does the 50% extra for renewing the card works on console/ps3 too?

#44 Lulgasms   Resident Xbone hater CAGiversary!   1020 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:04 PM

Phone quote
Ps3 500gb (super slim) $130 base.

This times 30 percent gives us $169 that is on the website.

#45 HououinK   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1079 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:29 PM

Phone Quotes

:3ds: Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers $15
:3ds: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon $18
:3ds: Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance - $11 (I think, my dog barked as he said it and I didn't think to clarify)

#46 LostMyNarbles  

LostMyNarbles

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

Can anyone help me, I was planning on trading in some Vita games and maybe about 1-2 DS games later today. Is the best deal for me just to do the 5 for 20, or is there anything better to shoot for?

#47 mask-air-raid   Mr. Encyclopedia of Soda Banned   5809 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

mask-air-raid

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:46 PM

sorry if already been asked, does the 50% extra for renewing the card works on console/ps3 too?

It says any item. Consoles, stuff from Apple, and games all work with it.

#48 irideabike   no show CAGiversary!   6039 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

irideabike

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Is there a limit on how many controllers I can do? I have 3 for each system I want to trade in. Especially if the 50% coupon works towards all of it.

I'd be looking at a ton of credit.

#49 JP   Member of the Ravens Nation! Trade-in Value Team   8097 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

I've traded in 6 before. When I had my first PS3 and I went overboard on accessories.

#50 irideabike   no show CAGiversary!   6039 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

irideabike

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Thanks JP. With the 50% bonus on the 6 controllers plus the ps3 I'm looking at 250 in credit. Sweet.

Edited by perdition(troy, 21 May 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#51 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   12290 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:15 PM

lmao at microsoft for charging people to play a used game on their new ”xbox one” !!!!!! the trade in values will be lower because of that alone. gamestop isnt gonna make nearly as much money of of this thing as they have with the 360 as nobody is going to buy these used games. wow are microsoft bayond greedy smh

#52 Lemstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   972 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

lmao at microsoft for charging people to play a used game on their new ”xbox one” !!!!!! the trade in values will be lower because of that alone. gamestop isnt gonna make nearly as much money of of this thing as they have with the 360 as nobody is going to buy these used games. wow are microsoft bayond greedy smh

You realize that it's mostly developers who get hurt by used games, right?

#53 strait edge follower   Cult of personality CAGiversary!   12290 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

strait edge follower

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:30 PM

name one time where a studio closed due to used game sales my friend :). not to mention used games have been around for ages and yet the gaming industry is more healthy than ever !!!

#54 SadPanda99   I hate know it alls CAGiversary!   4578 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:37 PM

name one time where a studio closed due to used game sales my friend :). not to mention used games have been around for ages and yet the gaming industry is more healthy than ever !!!

I think you're being a little ignorant with that comment. It's kind of obvious that any game sold not resulting in a payment directly to the developer weakens the studio in the long term. They have a finite product that has massive investment, and every used sale results in lost revenue. Some studios mitigate that by DLC, Online passes, etc, but the lost sale is a real one. That's especially true for games that have online activity. Each used game buyer not only doesn't profit the developer, they actually consume resources that they did not contribute towards.

#55 Lemstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   972 Posts   Joined 7.7 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Yeah, it's actually Microsoft and Sony being greedy that led to online passes existing. :roll:

Here's one high-profile example of a developer complaining about used games cutting into sales.

#56 SadPanda99   I hate know it alls CAGiversary!   4578 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:50 PM

Yeah, it's actually Microsoft and Sony being greedy that led to online passes existing. :roll:

Here's one high-profile example of a developer complaining about used games cutting into sales.

Bet he torrents everything without an ounce of guilt !!

#57 biledriver   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   994 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

biledriver

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

I think you're being a little ignorant with that comment. It's kind of obvious that any game sold not resulting in a payment directly to the developer weakens the studio in the long term. They have a finite product that has massive investment, and every used sale results in lost revenue. Some studios mitigate that by DLC, Online passes, etc, but the lost sale is a real one. That's especially true for games that have online activity. Each used game buyer not only doesn't profit the developer, they actually consume resources that they did not contribute towards.

It's not ignorant, it's simply not as black and white as you make it out to be. For all those used sales the games needed to be traded in, a percentage of those trades led to people buying new games or the sale of a used game that led to purchase of DLC etc. The market goes both ways so a simple "used is bad" does not tell the whole story.

#58 SadPanda99   I hate know it alls CAGiversary!   4578 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

It's not ignorant, it's simply not as black and white as you make it out to be. For all those used sales the games needed to be traded in, a percentage of those trades led to people buying new games or the sale of a used game that led to purchase of DLC etc. The market goes both ways so a simple "used is bad" does not tell the whole story.

Of course it's black and white. Studio either gets paid or not. Arguing that the seller of a used game buys more games is not the same as that purchase is unlikely to benefit the same developer.

The only guaranteed funds are those generated via DLC sales, as they can't be transferred.

Gamestop is a leech in this relationship.

#59 Kovorkian   Judoka CAGiversary!   2671 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:00 PM

and how much does Ford, Apple, Frigidaire, Contractors etc. get on the used vehicle, media player/ computer, kitchen appliance, housing Markets? oh wait ZERO!

If games DRM becomes the norm, here goes to increasing my old school collection, because those games will be new to me. :D

Where are they complaining about piracy? When someone pirates the game they get nothing! At least with used games, someone had to buy the game originally. God forbid if someone makes money off of your intellectual property on the secondary market! Are we going to see Diablo 3 style DRM with next gen?

#60 irideabike   no show CAGiversary!   6039 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

irideabike

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

Without the option of trading in or reselling a game I guarantee the $60 price point doesn't work.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gamestop, TIV, trade-in value, credit, trades, database