* * * * - 1 votes

Classic game you pick up again and again?

#31 Righteous Nixon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   688 Posts   Joined 3.8 Years Ago  

Righteous Nixon

Posted 04 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

Recently I've been playing Chrono Trigger again for...I don't even know how many times this makes. It's one game that I see to come back to every now and again. There really isn't any other game that I do this with either. For some reason I just love this game. Do you all have a game that grabs your attention like this?

For me its the old school adventure games (Maniac Mansion, Day of the Tentacle, The Dig, Loom, Monkey Island 1 & 2, Kings Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Indiana Jones, Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders etc.). Basically any of the old school Sierra or LucasArts Adventures. I grew up playing them and have gone back and played all of them MANY times. They just never get old. Some of the more modern games that I can play time and time again include the Baldur's Gate series, the Icewind Dale series, Warcraft III, Diablo II, etc. I go back and play Warcraft III every year or two. In fact, its actually about that time as I haven't played it in awhile. It just never gets old. 

Whats really sad is that many gamers today have gotten so hooked on achievements and trophies that they no longer play any of the older games. If there aren't achievements or points to be had, they simply wont play it. One of my good friends is like this and an article was posted recently on Raptr that talked about addiction to achievements and many of the people that responded in the comments section openly admitted that they no longer play games that don't have achievements. Personally, I think its pretty sad as those people are no longer gaming for the sake of playing and enjoying the game, they are gaming for the sake of getting a higher gamerscore. For people like that, gaming has become synonymous with achievement hunting. They would rather play a Hannah Montana game and get an easy 1000 points than go back and play a classic that didn't have achievements. I couldn't imagine not being able to go back and enjoy some of the older games from my past. In all honesty, I would estimate that roughly 15-20% of my time spent gaming is spent playing older games.

Don't get me wrong, I think achievements add an interesting component to games and I myself enjoy going after them from time to time, as long as they are interesting achievements that add to the quality of the game. That being said, achievements for me are always secondary to enjoying the game itself and I would never let achievements dictate wether or not I will play a particular game. 

AphroditeIXBanner1_zps6fea4a73.jpg

fs_overall.png

"My experiences, tho I would never wish them upon anyone else, have helped make me who I am and what I still hope to be"

#32 Cojiro   Casual CAGiversary!   1202 Posts   Joined 2.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

I'd throw in GTA SA too

I'm a Human who forgot how to Human.  :error:

TurtleGTX.png

#33 bsesb2003   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1256 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

bsesb2003

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Old Namco games, like Galaga.

[cp][/cp]

#34 anotherpoorgamer   Bird's Nest Hair CAGiversary!   4799 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

anotherpoorgamer

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

Old Namco games, like Galaga.

Yup, just picked up Namco Museum Battle Collection for the PSP, just for the arranged games that are supposedly different from the Namco Museum Virtual Arcade on 360.

#35 Ryandb2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2013 - 04:54 AM

By system:

Nintendo - Super Mario 3

Super Nintendo - Secret of Mana (the opening song makes me tear up a little), honorable mention to Earthbound and Crono Trigger

Sega Genesis - Shining Force II - In fact any of the shining series including Landstalker, also Warsong, aka Langrisser. Honorable mention to Streets of Rage 2 and Toe Jam and Earl, Hula Girls!

Playstation - Final Fantasy VII

Saturn - Shining Force III

Dreamcast - Chu Chu Rocket - I know, all those amazing games and I can't stop playing this :)

Playstation II - Twisted Metal Black

Xbox - Jet Set Radio Future

Gamecube - Animal Crossing - I still love the overhead view more than the psuedo 3d view the new ones use

PC - Kings Quest 5/6 or Baulders Gate II

I really need to replay FF VI as that is one of my favorites but I never do for some reason.

#36 superleaf444  

superleaf444

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:05 AM

Super metroid. Mario 3. Castlevania SOTN. Perfect dark (that is retro now right?) Zelda lttp. Chronic trigger. FF6.

#37 R. Kasahara   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   3809 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

R. Kasahara

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:28 AM

Dreamcast - Chu Chu Rocket - I know, all those amazing games and I can't stop playing this :)

Nothing wrong with that; Chu Chu Rocket is great in its own way :)

sig.gif
2015 Completed Games || My gaming blog

:-({|=  The Video Game Soundtrack Deals Thread ~ Where and how to buy game music online. Oh, and deals, too!

#38 speedracer   Banned Banned   3735 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

speedracer

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

Tecmo Super Bowl

Posted Image

#39 detectiveconan16   Batbutt. So Jealous. CAGiversary!   5568 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

detectiveconan16

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:15 PM

61MMK0ZARQL._AA200_.jpg

I guess since it came out 13 years ago it's a classic. Super Robot Wars Alpha is one of the best Playstation games I've ever played. Like how Pokemon Gold and Silver was the pinnacle of the Pocket Monsters franchise, this is the best Super Robot Wars game worth playing. It has a crap load of secrets that every time you start a new game, you're gonna want to get a different unit.  I've been playing it so much that I just got the Gundam F90.

It's a must play if you're a robot anime fan, and you don't really need to know much Japanese to play it. Just go to this site, and it'll teach you to get into the groove of the series.  The sequel Alpha Gaiden was fan-translated into English, but it's a much tougher game.

Batsugunner.png

#40 MushaOne   etc. and so forth... CAGiversary!   3736 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:27 PM

Super Mario World.

#41 Ryandb2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   59 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:40 AM

Tecmo Super Bowl

This, so much this. Running as Deion, Bo, or Barry diagonally through defenders never gets old :)

#42 CookieParty   Artist formerly known as Burritoman CAGiversary!   3214 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

CookieParty

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:56 AM

Super Metroid

Pretty much any other Metroid game

Megaman 2, 1-6 are also played a lot.

The Legend of Zelda

Mike Tyson's punch Out.

My Tradelist (Always updated pretty well)

Check out our blog: http://abloggymess.com/ Plenty of fun for everyone!

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

philip25033 on PSN and Wiiu

Get free stuff with my Swagbucks Referral Link: http://swagbucks.com/refer/cookieparty

#43 ianoid   5me77i.us! CAGiversary!   416 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

I think the subject was 'game' not 'games'. No matter.

IO Silver for the Apple II. Obscure arcade puzzler published by utility kings Beagle Bros. Think fast! Super fun. If you've played this one, please respond with a quote.

Posted Image

#44 Sideshow   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   205 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:01 PM

Does anyone else prefer older games?  My go to system is still the SNES.  I had a friend over last night and we beat Final Fight 3 and played Mario Kart battle.  I've got NCAA 14 unopened and beat Far Cry 3 recently, but I play older games more than I do new ones.

Posted Image

#45 WhipSmartBanky   Bring on the free hooch! CAGiversary!   15294 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

WhipSmartBanky

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:59 PM

Mega Man 2, Final Fight, Star Fox 64, and Gunstar Heroes for me.

Now that, my friend, is a shared moment.

about.me/wsb

#46 kill3r7   MiNd ThE GaP CAGiversary!   4376 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Zelda OoT and Halo.

Xecutioner
CML

#47 CookieParty   Artist formerly known as Burritoman CAGiversary!   3214 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

CookieParty

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:56 AM

I think the subject was 'game' not 'games'. No matter.

IO Silver for the Apple II. Obscure arcade puzzler published by utility kings Beagle Bros. Think fast! Super fun. If you've played this one, please respond with a quote.

It's hard to pick just 1. I can grab anything I listed as be equally satisfied.

My Tradelist (Always updated pretty well)

Check out our blog: http://abloggymess.com/ Plenty of fun for everyone!

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4618-0670 Always looking for new Pokemon!

philip25033 on PSN and Wiiu

Get free stuff with my Swagbucks Referral Link: http://swagbucks.com/refer/cookieparty

#48 Adee  

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

Duke Nukem <3

#49 FlyingAce39   Flyin' High Again CAGiversary!   566 Posts   Joined 2.6 Years Ago  

FlyingAce39

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

I got another one to add.

Pokemon Blue (Actually been playing FireRed on my iPod's GBA emulator. It's ridiculously fun.)

660090.png 660091.png

#50 Josh1billion   ゲーム開発者 CAGiversary!   1803 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:18 PM

I play through Chrono Cross every couple of years.

I also try playing through Chrono Trigger every couple of years, but, as great as the game is in other areas, the battle system is way too simple/bland to hold my attention all game long.  So I've only ever managed to complete the entire game once so far, despite all the time I've spent playing it over the years.

Josh1billion.png

Developing some PS4/Vita/PC games in my free time.  Website | Twitter | Facebook

#51 ludus   CAG Ultra Noob CAGiversary!   519 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

I think Super Mario Bros. 3 is the game I can pick up often and still enjoy quite a bit. Same goes for Super Mario World on the SNES. I can never tire of these games. 

There are a lot more, but those two are the big ones for me. 

LeaptradeForumSignature.jpg