Castlevania: Symphony of the Night $9.99 @ Blockbuster (Brand New)

savestheday888

CAGiversary!
I was browsing the games at a local Blockbuster, one without a Game Rush. I found a brand new copy of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night marked $14.99. I've been looking at this game on Ebay, and noticed that it sells used for around $15, without shipping, and around $20 brand new. I figured, what the heck? I can't pass up a sealed copy. To make a long story short, when the clerk rang the game up, it came up at $9.99 + tax. In case someone was looking for an awesome ps1 game, brand new ,and for a cheap price, check out your local Blockbuster (or Game Rush).

[quote name='savestheday888']I was browsing the games at a local Blockbuster, one without a Game Rush. I found a brand new copy of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night marked $14.99. I've been looking at this game on Ebay, and noticed that it sells used for around $15, without shipping, and around $20 brand new. I figured, what the heck? I can't pass up a sealed copy. To make a long story short, when the clerk rang the game up, it came up at $9.99 + tax. In case someone was looking for an awesome ps1 game, brand new ,and for a cheap price, check out your local Blockbuster (or Game Rush).[/QUOTE]

Your not mentioning the fact that you picked up a Greatest Hits version, those things are a dime a dozen. If it was a black labeled one, then I might have said something more meaningful.

[quote name='BIG5']I've actually been tempted to grab the copy at my BB even though I already have the game. Is that weird?[/QUOTE]

yes

Well, you get about $12.00 trade in with the 40% bonus at Gamestop. So if you see four, pick them up and make a whopping 8 dollar profit.

[quote name='GTmaster39']Your not mentioning the fact that you picked up a Greatest Hits version, those things are a dime a dozen. If it was a black labeled one, then I might have said something more meaningful.[/QUOTE]

Is there a difference to anyone who's not a total nerd, i.e., is the game content any different?

[quote name='GTmaster39']Your not mentioning the fact that you picked up a Greatest Hits version, those things are a dime a dozen. If it was a black labeled one, then I might have said something more meaningful.[/QUOTE]

Where can you get a sealed GH hits version for a cheaper price?

[quote name='illennium']Is there a difference to anyone who's not a total nerd, i.e., is the game content any different?[/QUOTE]

Some people collect Video games, and verision means a lot.

[quote name='BIG5']I've actually been tempted to grab the copy at my BB even though I already have the game. Is that weird?[/QUOTE]

Oh hell no. I saw two copies at Costco one day and snagged 'em both ($14 a piece). Even though I've had a copy of the game since 1997. Best non-rpg on the entirety of the PS1 IMO. Only downside is it could use a HARD mode.

[quote name='illennium']Is there a difference to anyone who's not a total nerd, i.e., is the game content any different?[/QUOTE]

Yes, because we all know you are joe cool.:roll:

[quote name='Scarface7']Anyone willing to pick me up a copy? Let me know and we'll work something out.[/QUOTE]

I may be able to. I'll PM you if I can find one.

Yeah, I wish it wasn't the greatest hits version. That green bar on the side of the case is really killing me. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.

[quote name='savestheday888']Yeah, I wish it wasn't the greatest hits version. That green bar on the side of the case is really killing me. I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight.[/QUOTE]

*hugs and caresses non GH version, along with rare BradyGames strategy guide*

[quote name='tdphillips']*hugs and caresses non GH version, along with rare BradyGames strategy guide*[/QUOTE]

Thinking about that strategy guide is making me crazy. I don't think I'll be able to live without that rare compilation of shiny pictures, and information that I can find on the internet for free....if need be.

The Sarcasm is strong with these ones

hahaha i love it though, funny stuff

But yeah, I never saw much use for collecting videogames. On the same token, I stare in awe at some people's MASSIVE collections. But still, I bought the GH version of this game ages ago and it didn't sully it for me one bit. I say if you haven't played this game yet, $15 is an ABSOLUTE STEAL!!! I played it a couple of months ago... It still holds up as one of the greater games of all time, in my book. And yes greater, not greatest. I figured "greater" was more flame retardant.

if you can get a bunch of them u can sell them on ebay for $25 apiece, i got like 6 of them at two blockbusters awhile ago so i netted like $90 for virtually no work.

I've seen these locally at Blockbuster as well. Most were GH, IIRC. If anyone wants me to pick one up, PM me and we'll work it out.

No, the only difference is packaging. If you can handle the green stripe on the Greatest Hits version, you might as well get the game new for less. Some people would rather pay more for a copy without the green stripe.

the GH packaging never bothered me that much.. i personally like the xbox version the platinum packaging better.. at least it doesn't look totally retarded.

I should mention that the Greatest Hits packaging for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night does more than add a green stripe to the case inserts. Where the original disc has color artwork of Alucard on one side, the Greatest Hits version disc is simply silver in color with black lettering. It's a striking visual and aesthetic difference when you compare the two discs side to side, but the game itself remains exactly the same in both versions.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']I have plenty of first-edition games, but seriously, people are crazy about not buying games with the GH logo... it's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Picked this one up a while back, loved it... if your BB has this... get it... to heck with the damn packaging... as long as it HAS it I am cool... since I buy these games for myself

has anyone seen these in store anywhere in los angeles. i tried the bb website, but it isnt allowing the search stores near me option.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']I have plenty of first-edition games, but seriously, people are crazy about not buying games with the GH logo... it's ridiculous.[/QUOTE]
I think the appeal is having a collection that looks uniform. GH versions usually have lower production runs than the original, making that version more rare.

Games were meant to be played. Enjoyed. To entertain.

How does the label change that?

So, anyone want to pick this up for me? How much? My Blockbuster does not sell games.

Chris

This deal has been posted a thousand times.

Anyway, its still a good deal and all, but please use the search in the future!

As for the disc, my cousin has the non-GH version and it doesent have art of Alucard on it... its just plain black with yellow lettering.

[quote name='b3b0p']Games were meant to be played. Enjoyed. To entertain.

How does the label change that?

So, anyone want to pick this up for me? How much? My Blockbuster does not sell games.

Chris[/QUOTE]

I could say the same thing about Action Comics #1. That doesn't mean the first printing isn't worth a hell of alot more than the 5th printing.

*Resisting...urge...to rehash...same...old...argument...*

Ugh, I failed.

All I can say is if you take two people who have the same 300 games in their collection and put them side-by-side...if one guy has 100 "Greatest Hits" games in his collection and the other guy has all 300 original versions you'd have to admit that a completely uniform collection of all original versions of every game is a lot more impressive. I don't blame people for wanting that.

I think it is even more impressive to have 300 factory sealed game, but to me it is same as 300 GH hames.

what about games that are different in their GH version? I think it would be better to get the improve version.

[quote name='62t']I think it is even more impressive to have 300 factory sealed game, but to me it is same as 300 GH hames.

what about games that are different in their GH version? I think it would be better to get the improve version.[/QUOTE]

I generally prefer the non greatest hits versions because they look better. However, as you suggested, in the rare chance its improved, I'd gladly take the better version ala Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution.

I remember a CAG in some thread who refused to buy Pac Man vs. because it only existed in Players' Choice packaging. He was lamenting how he desperately wanted the game and I guess we were supposed to feel sorry for him. I forget who it was, but if you're reading this thread... consider this an intervention!!! I understand the aesthetic appeal but sometimes it gets out of control. Sometimes I get a GH/PH version just to be safe, because OCCASIONALLY they will fix glitches and whatnot in the later pressings of a game. A little research will usually clear that up though... if it's a spur of the moment thing though and the GH is the only one available, I probably won't hesitate to pick it up.

Oh and SOTN kicks your ass and mine... there is absolutely NO excuse not to own this one!!

I picked this up at a BBV a while back but haven't really had a chance to play it yet. I got stuck after the first level and haven't picked it up since. I have to admit though, the RPG elements are definitely intriguing.

As far as GH/non GH packaging, I try to get all non-GH versions but don't think I would pay too much of a premium for it. If the only thing available is a non-GH version, then I will gladly pick it up. Besides, you can go to cdcovers.cc and print out a non-GH label for most of the current gen games.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi2']I should mention that the Greatest Hits packaging for Castlevania: Symphony of the Night does more than add a green stripe to the case inserts. Where the original disc has color artwork of Alucard on one side, the Greatest Hits version disc is simply silver in color with black lettering. It's a striking visual and aesthetic difference when you compare the two discs side to side, but the game itself remains exactly the same in both versions.[/QUOTE]

? my orginal disk doesnt have any alucard on it

I faintly recall seeing non-GH versions at one BBV store but it was before the game dropped to $9.99 .

It's only $9.99, would it really hurt to buy it and just 'be on the lookout' for non-GH Castlevania to add to your collection in the future?

gamerush is also doing buy 2 get 1 free on new ps1 games. I picked up 3 sealed GH copies for only $20 I'll be putting the other 2 copies up in the trade forum.

long beach, blockbuster on cherry street have a grip of these. I remember droppin by them 3 weeks ago and saw them tag for $40 each.

Even at $15 you would still be getting plenty of great gaming for the price. I know I've seen these at local Blockbuster's before marked for something sub $20, maybe even $9.99, so if anyone around here is looking for one I would think they might still have some. I can't say for sure though because I hardly ever go to Blockbuster and the last time I did was like a month ago.

if you can hang on til Tuesday I believe traditional stores are buy 1 get 1 half off as well on their new psone.

[quote name='ratedpeej']But yeah, I never saw much use for collecting videogames. On the same token, I stare in awe at some people's MASSIVE collections. [/QUOTE]
And what happens to those collections when the house catches fire? Bye-bye ~$10,000 of stuff. Ouch!

Me, I prefer to play them, sell them, and put the money back in the bank. I've got less than 50 games... only the ones I play repeatedly. If it collects dust, it gets converted to cash.

BTW, I didn't really like Castlevania. Too repetitive (press X/press X/press X).

troy

[quote name='electrictroy']And what happens to those collections when the house catches fire? Bye-bye ~$10,000 of stuff. Ouch!

troy[/QUOTE]

You make it sound like it's inevitable that anyone with a collection will one day watch it burn.

bread's done
Back