CAGcast #328: Headset Not Included

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Wombat takes on the great headset debate and wonders if Kinect works. Shipwreck will probably buy an Ouya and a Shield.  Cheapy has an stressful Yoga session.

cagcastgreen144.jpg

http://traffic.libsyn.com/cheapyd/cagcast328.mp3
Download (1 hour 15 minutes) - iTunes -  

Get a $2.49 GoDaddy domain registration with code CAG249
35% off for new customers with code 35off8

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Watch Out For This/Major Lazer - Welcome Back Kotter Closing Credits

Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am bummed about the headset not being in the box, but not because I have a problem paying a little extra for what is promised to finally be a high audio quality mic, but because even LESS people will be on the mic in multiplayer games.

I used to love how in every match of Halo 2 every one had a mic.  It's been a ghost town for years  now.

I'd like to be considered for the Borderlands 2 DLC code as well.  Thank you.

I heard that Microsoft may be allowing 360 users to migrate their mics over, at least first party ones. Has any more news been revealed on that? I am getting the PS4 and am not that impressed with the iphone mic that they are providing, I am hoping my universal Rocketfish headset is compatible with it.Or I may just buy that gta V pulse headset which I know is compatible

I heard that Microsoft may be allowing 360 users to migrate their mics over, at least first party ones. Has any more news been revealed on that? I am getting the PS4 and am not that impressed with the iphone mic that they are providing, I am hoping my universal Rocketfish headset is compatible with it.Or I may just buy that gta V pulse headset which I know is compatible
I think you may have been thinking of this via Joystiq via Game Informer:

"Microsoft goes on to say that it "plans to develop solutions in the near future to allow consumers to connect many brands of wired gaming headsets to the Wireless Controller for gaming and chat audio," though it does not say what form those solutions may take."

Cheapy, wouldn't be surprised if the Last of Us starts to get tedious for you. I'm pretty far in the game and when I get to *another* fight or *another * room full of clickers I just want to drop the controller and walk away. The story is great but the in-between parts aren't really doing it for me.

I have to agree with Wombat on this whole headphone thing.  I will eventually pick up a X1, but I think I will only use it for exclusives.  (I would like to be entered into the contest.)

We are a gaming couple in our 30s. We have two TVs side by side with Xbox 360s attached to both. They are usually on at the same time.  Kids in the background won’t be the problem for us; it will be the other Xbox One in the room.

Currently, he’ll play something that he doesn’t have to hear while we watch/listen to Netflix, HBOgo etc. thru the Xbox on the other TV; or we both will be playing the same game, like Borderlands 2, so only one TV really needs to have the sound up; or we both will be playing games we need to hear and either someone is wearing a headset or they are both at a volume we can hear, which is most of the time.

We both have pre-ordered the Xbox One but are VERY interested on how BOTH Kinects will work sitting 5 feet away from each other. My Kinect now picks up his TV if I have it plugged in (the 5 hours a year it is used), and I am concerned there might be an issue. Even when one TV is muted, is his Kinect going to pick up my TV?  I doubt we’ll be able to even use the Kinect commands without it doing the same thing to the other TV.  

Is Microsoft plotting against our relationship and going to make us game in separate rooms?!?!  Who gets the living room? I was here first.

First-world problems hitting couples hard in Indiana.

There's been a rumor going around since May about a possible adapter to allow 360 headsets to work. But no concrete solution to it.

Wombat, I would disagree about Microsoft's conference. They had some pretty solid games to show and the pacing worked pretty well. They did exactly what they said they would do by coming out and showing games. And Ship is right, it's the bad parts of conferences that make them memorable. I don't think I'll ever forget Mr. Caffeine, but couldn't tell you anything else about that conference (other than that weird laser tag game IIRC).

CheapyD, you've gotta apologize to your instructor tomorrow. I don't know what the traditional apology gift over there is, but that could work too. That was pretty douche, even if the woman and her son were being pretty disruptive, it still doesn't mean you gotta explode like that.

I think that the headset not being included with the Xbone or Xbox 180 isn't going to have a significant negative impact.  The xbox live community is so used to having a headset that I don't think they would allow themselves to play the game without a headset.  I think the biggest issue is that previous headsets won't work and will need an adapter.  Regardless of the obstacles, xbox live users will do whatever to ensure that they have a headset as it's probably just expected that you actually have an headset.  Also, the fact that MS thinks that the Kinect will take the place of the headset says a lot about how confident they are in regards to how well the kinects mic will perform.  

If the Kinect can filter out bad words, that would be pure AWESOME!  I've been called a nigger (and other bad words, or combination thereof you can imagine) wayyy too many times.  I know, I know.... that's the internet! 

I think that even with all this flak, there are still enough hardcore Xbox fans, and casual fans who don't know about any of this stuff to buy plenty of X1's come this fall.

We haven't had a Tokyo American Club story in a while, thanks for that!

(Also in for contest)

It sounds like chat audio is going to be much better on the Xbox One using "digital wide-band" audio (whatever that means). That probably increases the cost of the headset (most likely in the adapter) which basically priced it out of inclusion in the box.

I had a nice Twitter conversation with Wombat trying to get to the bottom of why he is so livid about the headset not being included. Basically (and I'm paraphrasing), Wombat doesn't want his wife to hear teenagers yell stupid stuff out of his TV speakers. I understand that but I guess I game differently. I don't play any online multiplayer games while my family is awake or home. In a multiplayer game, you can't pause when your kid needs a glass of milk or your wife wants to tell you about her day. Those games require a level of involvement that just doesn't jive with having family around.

Also, as a long time listener and fan, it seems that Wombat doesn't really play competitive online multiplayer games, and instead plays mostly co-operative games like Mass Effect 3's online mode. If you're hearing racial slurs and hate speech in a co-op game, then something is really wrong there and it goes far beyond the inclusion of a headset.

I don't remember this happening when the last generation launched but it seems like nowadays people want to know every tiny detail about products that haven't even started the manufacturing process yet (sure chips are being made, but the boxes are not being assembled yet). Basically, nothing is really finalized yet but no one seems to accept the answer "We're not talking about that yet - we'll reveal more at a later date".

Sadly, I think Shipwreck is right. Microsoft won't include a headset because they are doubling down on Kinect. If they included both it would look like they weren't confident in the new Kinect (and they've been making some WILD claims about the new Kinect). Same reason original Wii didn't come with Pro or Classic Controllers. The problem, as Wombat points out, is that by making Kinect the one peripheral everyone has, it may well split the user base when it comes to voice chat. Yes, the Kinect has a mic (the PS3 didn't even have that), but it's not ideal.

Oh, and put me in for Tiny Tina's Assault. Perfect excuse to fire up Borderlands 2 again.

First, "I almost made it without exploding on everybody, but i did explode" is my new favorite out of context CAGcast quote.

Exactly, the PS3 was $600. Sony in their overconfidence they tried to cram an expensive extra feature (blu-ray) down the customer's throat and expected them to grit and pay. But unlike the the PS3, it is not immediately clear and understandable how the added cost of the camera benefits John Q consumer. "Machine plays Hi-Def movie disc" is easy, I buy this and I don't have to buy a dedicated Blu-ray player. I look at the xbox-one $500 price tag and see "you want me to pay $100 more than the PS4.in order to get this extra, possibly useless camera," a camera which was revealed today to feature a propriety plug so that you can't plug it into your PC without some theoretical, future unlicensed adapter. if one DID like Kinect 2, and WANTED Kincect 2, they will have to buy a second one to use for their PC.

It will be very interesting to see how they prevent player chat coming through your TV speakers from hijacking the voice commands on your Kinect. If all of that voice chat is disabled during multiplayer (and that's all many Xbox players do), then all that quick switching stuff will be useless to them.

I agree with Wombat, if they didn't want to take the time to explain the family sharing or DRM in the conference, they should have had a handout or released a press release afterword, point by point laying out how it all works. If they didn't have all that worked out before they originally announced it in May (or as Cheapy kept hilariously saying over and over for some reason, "March"), then they certainly should of had the majority of that worked out by E3. Instead as the shit storm began to intensify they canceled their Q&A events set for after the conference to continue to dodge the questions. Their DRM scheme was a core, integrated feature of their console, something like that should be fully explained by the time Pre-orders officially go live.

You can't blame gamers for calling it X-bone, blame Microsoft for being dumbasses and calling it Xbox-One. There is already an Xbox 1, the original Xbox, so you can't call it an "Xbox1" without starting an Abbott and Costello routine. If the PS4 was called something stupid to acronym like the "Playstation Console," people would be be making fun of it too, and rightfully so.

Spartacus is not just breasts and violence, though there is a lot of that (and penises too!), it also has some really good storytelling, great performances, and excellent fight choreography. The pilot is not very good though, things start to all click by episode 4 or 5. The order it should be watched in is Blood and Sand, Gods of the Arena, Vengeance, and War of the Damned. Gods of Arena was a prequel mini-series produced between Blood and Sand and Vengeance when the lead actor playing Spartacus looked like he was going to recover from a serious illness, but the bookends of Gods of the Arena have major spoilers for Blood and Sand so it shouldn't be watched first. The series is done so you can binge watch it all the way through if you want. War of the Damned is being released in early September.

I would like a Fist Puncher Code.

My wife and I have been sharing Animal Crossing... after hearing your words on a previous CAGcast I told her many times, if you are going to be the mayor then you are going to play the game and continue playing. Thanks for the warning. I too do not want to have to play as my wife to unlock items. If I'm going to play the game, I am going to play my game.

If both of these systems have bluetooth, then I don't see what the big deal is with the not included headset.  I'm sure everyone has a bluetooth headset by now.

PS Whore had me lol'ing.  I'm going to start using that.

Wombat someone on bombcast also started Animal Crossing w/o being the mayor.  The situation was different but everyone said he should start over- being the mayor is pretty integral to the game.

Please consider me for the xbox Borderlands DLC.  Thanks.

It's always a fun cast when Wombat gets up in arms about something :twoguns:

I would like to be entered in the contest (contests?)

As for the online gaming headset debacle, I think Cheapy is under stating the stupidity of the Xbox Live user base. I don't want to hear the morons on there over a headset, much less over my tv speakers.

However, I agree with Cheapy that people are being ridiculous saying they won't get an Xbox based on the fact that the console isn't coming with a headset.

The things that people say on the internet are asinine. People going back and forth, arguing about the new consoles and saying they're not going to buy this or that -- All the while not having all of the facts yet! I really hope that the big 3 aren't using the internet to gauge peoples interest in these things because it would seem to me that no one likes anything being released at all. It's really disheartening to see all this strange negativity.

Maybe it was just me but my 360 headset stopped working after 6 months anyway.  So did my "rechargeable" battery packs.  Oh and so did my console. The last thing I'm worried about with the XboxOne its crappy pack-ins.  

I really enjoyed the show.

I don't think lack of communication on the XB1 is going to be an issue, as people will have their Kinects on by default. Unfortunately, I do think there's going to be a lot of unwelcome background noise, particularly people pumping their music while playing games. Hopefully it'll be easy to mute people.

I enjoyed the Tokyo American Club story -- I want to live in Tokyo and be a member.

The issue I have with the Xbox One microphone situation isn't that it doesn't come with one, it's how they're going out implementing their new headsets and what it says about their overall philosophy. They are the only ones that I know of to come up with a proprietary headphone jack. That's just asinine and it's not even something that Apple has dared to try.

Their argument that it is for some advanced multi-directional headset is just incorrect. This kind of thing can and has been done with usb headsets on PC and there is no reason why it couldn't be done on the Xbox One. Not only that, but the Xbox One is based on Windows 8 and the operating system for which the system is based on supports such a scheme.

I know Microsoft has since softened their tone on the headsets by offering up a promise that they will be offering an adapter to make people's older headsets work, but that wasn't always the case and they only changed their position after people hammered them on their ridiculousness. Their view was that the only way you could use a headset on the Xbox One is if it was compatible with their proprietary headset jack. All usb, 2.55mm and bluetooth headsets would not work and you either had to use the Kinect 2 or buy one of the licensed Xbox One headsets. 

It seems like they will allow for 2.55mm headsets with some sort of adapter, but it will probably end up being better to just buy their proprietary headset since they're not going to be just giving these adapters away and they will probably be very difficult to find when the console launches. They still have not said if they will now allow usb or bluetooth headsets. 

To me it seems like Sony learned from all of their mistakes that they made in this regard and that Microsoft found new and interesting ways to screw this up. Sony didn't include an official headset with the PS3 and they didn't really have an official one for quite a long time. In fact, they didn't make one on their own until 2 years after the launch of the Playstation 3. They did release Warhawk a year prior, but the headset it included was just a normal Jabra over the ear headset. (I pretty much just threw it away since I hated it) In the end, their headsets were not well implemented and they didn't offer an easy way to have an over head headset without having to connect it to the console. 

To me it just shows an additional layer of bs that they're continuing over with the Xbox One. With the Xbox 360, they were charging $100 for a proprietary 20GB HDD and $100 for a proprietary usb Wifi adapter at launch and today they charge $130 for a proprietary 320GB HDD. My PS3 currently has a 1TB HDD, which cost me less than $100.

I'm also not really a fan of being told that I have to buy something like the Kinect. I have a Kinect and it works fine for Dance Games, but it sucks for pretty much everything else. I got Madden 13 just to try out the Kinect features and they are completely broken. I could get them to work sometimes, but for the most part they just didn't work. I don't want to spend an extra $100 for a new Xbox One Kinect especially when it only has two launch games (Kinect Sports Rivals and Just Dance 2014) that really don't do anything new and I really don't care about. I'd rather spend that money on another game and not some camera that I think is going to get in the way.

With the Xbox One, it seems like Microsoft has decided what people want and you don't really have a choice. With Playstation 4, it seems like Sony listened to the complaints about the Playstation 3 and gives me as a gamer more options and implemented them in the Playstation 4. 

I'm guessing MS removed the ability of controller to digitize sound coming from headset  in order to cut expenses perhaps due to inclusion of Kinect and already $100 higher pricepoint.  Thus the special port, no cheapo headset and the need for an adapter for current headsets.  If they are using a chip that produces higher quality samples of your voice then it will cost more and thus more of a reason to offload that capability (and expense) to the headset or to an adapter for old headsets.

You don't need to be angry to be critical about things, Cheapy.

I see that Cheapy's already started his campaign for the 2013 Douchebag of the Year Award, though we still don't know the results of last year's awards. I'm surprised that Wombat hasn't complained about that yet since it's almost the second half of the year at this point.

The headset issue is really a non-factor for me, as I've maybe used headsets on the PS3 and Xbox 360 maybe about 2-3 times each. I guess I don't play the sort of MP games that need a ton of communication to know how to play/work together.

A lot of people still play Warhawk, Wombat. It's a great MP game that doesn't require you to communicate with anybody to do well. It might even be my favorite multiplayer game of this generation.

I'm surprised to see Shipwreck and Cheapy treat the PS3 like they used to treat the Wii and want them to be ported to more powerful systems.

If both of these systems have bluetooth, then I don't see what the big deal is with the not included headset. I'm sure everyone has a bluetooth headset by now.
I don't think the Xbox One has bluetooth. It's not in any spec sheets or on the product page.

Great CAGcast. But there was a little too much awkward angry CheapyD today, I thought. A simple, "just kidding" after your comment on Wombat's background noise apology would've cut the tension. Otherwise great show.

Also interested in a Fist Puncher code.

Thanks Wombat. You ended my work week with another smile and good feeling. Not only did I find 0.35 cents at the vending machine located at an ER waiting room. I became an uncle to a beautiful baby boy named Alex for the first time. And now to have Wombat give me a shoutout on Cagcast.
Awesome!
I can now add a actual recording of Wombat mentioning my handle on Cagcast on my Shrine for Wombat.

*Disclaimer: The last sentence was a joke.

My biggest fear is having the mic on by default will make people not think about having one and we get to hear everything. Friends and i always set in private channels so we didn't have to listen to all the BS or the idiots who felt the need to broadcast their music to the game. 

On a different note Test Drive Unlimited 2 was ahead of its time and had the feature that some games seem to be adding of populating the game world with gamers in a mmo-like world, then having proximity voice so when you were close to someone in the game you would hear what was going on their end. which when it came to that game could be miles around you. Some of the weird crap i heard was pretty funny, and you could always tell who had a kinect because of the quality. 

Adding one thing, I always found it hard to balance the volume between the game and people talking over gunfire,if you ever tried to play CoD4+ without a mic plugged in. 

I'm liking this majin cheapyD! Good for you for speaking your mind to your yoga instructor! You did the right thing.

I too feel the same way you feel about the headset. Why can't the next gen console come with a .15cent headset? I'm no fan boy to either company but MS really slipped on its own shit with this next gen. The question now is; will they be able to clean up there self off before launch day.

Good show & thank you for taking time out to do the show!

Great CAGcast. But there was a little too much awkward angry CheapyD today...
Yeah, I have to agree. That yoga story got him all fired up.

I am actually a little nervous about Ship. We are going to need him at his best when Xbox One is released and at the same time he is having his first child. Wombat and Cheapy; start coaching this guy right away.

Good show everyone.

A Xbox 360 microphone is used by what type of gamer? Is it used by the type of gamer that needs it for COD, Halo, random FPS game, Madden, NBA 2K13, random sport game, etc, etc, etc (very much, yes). Is it used by someone who is already committed to the Xbox brand and would be willing to buy a wireless mic, turtle beach mic, etc (most likely). Do those two gamer demographics overlap (in my opinion, an overwhelming yes).

Here is the bigger question, who does NOT use the mic? Is it the gamer that just buys the Xbox for Netflix, ESPN, UFC, and the occasional recreational game (yes!)? Is it the gamer who's parent wants to shelter them from the hate mongering, racist, ignorant people that play the type of games previously mentioned (double yes!)? Is it the gamer who likes all the games previously mentioned but hates listening to random Internet people (wombat, what do you think?)?

Here are the million dollar questions. No, the billion dollar questions! What percent of the marketshare does Microsoft own regarding the gamer demographic listed in the first paragraph (answer: more than Sony or Nintendo)? What percent of the marketshare does Microsoft own regarding the gamer demographic listed in the second paragraph (definitely less than Nintendo!)? Right, wrong or indifferent, Microsoft's top execs might be more interested in going after the Nintendo market or the casual gamer market more than they are interested in retaining the hardcore gamer market. Why? Because they don't have to work hard to keep the hardcore gamer. We will buy the nice headset because we enjoy that type of gaming experience. I hate listening to the dbags, but they are a necessary evil for me in order to be able to talk to my Xbox friends. Even if Microsoft doesn't cave in with the mic, I'm still buying an XB1 and a nice mic.....I need my fix! Dont forget, Nintendo sold over 80 million Wii sports. 80 MILLION!! Wii sports doesn't need a mic.

Please consider me for the Borderlands 2 (Xbox 360) dlc, thanks.

Cheapy,

Bet Shipwreck that he can't get through an episode without saying the word 'like' .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I'm not going to let a headset sway what I'm going to get. I will let the price do that. Hence, the CAG.

I think it's funny how funny Cheapy makes the comment that bullshit is getting blown out of proportion. Then, Wombat goes on to blow shit out of proportion lmao. Yes, Wombat you did complain a lot this show. What would make Wombat feel better? Giving me a Xbox Tiny Tina code couldn't hurt. Fun show guys.

I agree X1 should pack in a headset.  Major Nelson follows CheapyD, so I think he should also get on the twitter and put in a call for a headset.  My nephews used kinect for voice and it was so bad I gave them a headset.  Enjoyed the show guys.

MS needs to include a wired headset. I prefer wireless but I would settle for the $3 crappy option. There is no way Kinect can distinguish between my voice and the surround sound. And we all have heard the guy with the voice echo. Voice on Day One without options will be nothing but annoying echos and background noise. I want to know if they have built in bluetooth. Why not? Its a simple $5 upgrade nothing compared to the cost of it when 360 came out. At the very least my current 360 wireless headset should work with the new xbox. Where is the petition??? 

I want the Borderlands DLC!

Great show as usual, fellas.

I have to admit, this whole console war bullshit is just wearing me out to the point I just don't know if I want to game anymore. It just annoys the hell out of me to know that people are bitching about the smallest shit for something that is not even out yet, and keep forgetting the key thing: They are video game consoles. I would expect this kind of fervent arguments and name calling if you are debating about religion or politics, but the fanboy wars just sadden me as a gamer. And it's this kind of attitude that is giving the mainstream media and politicians trying to use violent video games and their effect on gamers a leg to stand on. I have to admit, for a non-news gaming website, you three have been some of the more level-headed, non-biased in the gaming public when it comes to the new consoles. Everyone else I've seen have been strongly PS4 biased.

Personally, I wouldn't use the headset regardless, because I won't play multiplayer games. I spend my work days getting yelled and screamed at by immature people on a daily basis, I don't want to get the same thing when I am trying to relax. The only thing that will sell me on a console is going to be the games, as it should be. I don't know enough or care about specs or the Kinect or the PlayStation Eye. Show me a good library of games to get the console and I will be all yours.

Ship, glad I'm not the only one that liked that Deadpool game. Combat was meh, story, or "story" made up for it. Definitely worth the buy, even for the cheap laughs.

Again, guys, thanks for the non-biased reporting when it comes to the reporting, and Cheapy, great read for the XB1 article. Much respect for that.

$400 price was perfect to convince me to be an early adopter instead of just playing PS3. Otherwise i'd probably wait for a better deal and hardware revisions like cheapy says. They are going to make most of their profits off increased user base with digital sales and plus. I can't say no to all the $1, $2 and $3 games that have been offered the past few weeks.

Is the hotline miami code for vita still up for grabs? hook it up!

The issue I have with the Xbox One microphone situation isn't that it doesn't come with one, it's how they're going out implementing their new headsets and what it says about their overall philosophy. They are the only ones that I know of to come up with a proprietary headphone jack. That's just asinine and it's not even something that Apple has dared to try.

Their argument that it is for some advanced multi-directional headset is just incorrect. This kind of thing can and has been done with usb headsets on PC and there is no reason why it couldn't be done on the Xbox One. Not only that, but the Xbox One is based on Windows 8 and the operating system for which the system is based on supports such a scheme.

I know Microsoft has since softened their tone on the headsets by offering up a promise that they will be offering an adapter to make people's older headsets work, but that wasn't always the case and they only changed their position after people hammered them on their ridiculousness. Their view was that the only way you could use a headset on the Xbox One is if it was compatible with their proprietary headset jack. All usb, 2.55mm and bluetooth headsets would not work and you either had to use the Kinect 2 or buy one of the licensed Xbox One headsets.

It seems like they will allow for 2.55mm headsets with some sort of adapter, but it will probably end up being better to just buy their proprietary headset since they're not going to be just giving these adapters away and they will probably be very difficult to find when the console launches. They still have not said if they will now allow usb or bluetooth headsets.

To me it seems like Sony learned from all of their mistakes that they made in this regard and that Microsoft found new and interesting ways to screw this up. Sony didn't include an official headset with the PS3 and they didn't really have an official one for quite a long time. In fact, they didn't make one on their own until 2 years after the launch of the Playstation 3. They did release Warhawk a year prior, but the headset it included was just a normal Jabra over the ear headset. (I pretty much just threw it away since I hated it) In the end, their headsets were not well implemented and they didn't offer an easy way to have an over head headset without having to connect it to the console.

To me it just shows an additional layer of bs that they're continuing over with the Xbox One. With the Xbox 360, they were charging $100 for a proprietary 20GB HDD and $100 for a proprietary usb Wifi adapter at launch and today they charge $130 for a proprietary 320GB HDD. My PS3 currently has a 1TB HDD, which cost me less than $100.

I'm also not really a fan of being told that I have to buy something like the Kinect. I have a Kinect and it works fine for Dance Games, but it sucks for pretty much everything else. I got Madden 13 just to try out the Kinect features and they are completely broken. I could get them to work sometimes, but for the most part they just didn't work. I don't want to spend an extra $100 for a new Xbox One Kinect especially when it only has two launch games (Kinect Sports Rivals and Just Dance 2014) that really don't do anything new and I really don't care about. I'd rather spend that money on another game and not some camera that I think is going to get in the way.

With the Xbox One, it seems like Microsoft has decided what people want and you don't really have a choice. With Playstation 4, it seems like Sony listened to the complaints about the Playstation 3 and gives me as a gamer more options and implemented them in the Playstation 4.
Well said!

I wonder if Cheapy even reads the CAGcast threads or his blog post comments. Twitter is not a good place to have a conversation. That must be were he judges all this "crazy" talk.

Loved Wombat's comments about the no headset, but I feel the new proprietary headphone jack was understated. That is BS. PS Vita memory cards are BS too. So is Xbox harddrives when any laptop hdd works with PS3/PS4. I could go on about stuff like no Indie self publish, not being able to unplug Kinect ever, but everyone has already made their minds, and no one is changing them now that MS reversed DRM.

Funny story, Cheapy would not have been able to even use Xbox One had they not reversed DRM. His country wasn't supported. 24 check-in wouldn't work with imported consoles. Maybe that's why he got all the "backlash". Not caring about policies of the future that directly affect you vs a child at a yoga class.

Great episode guys! I do agree about the mic subject. I do think they should include one but I find as I get older the only people I want to talk to online are my friends that I actually know. I also agree that I don't want people to hear the background noise of my house and I don't want to hear theirs too.

Shipwreck, I broke down and purchased Project X Zone. I do say I am enjoying it a good amount. Its a bit repetitive because its mostly just text, fight, and then intermission where you equip items. Also the male to female ratio is mostly 1:1 so far in the game. Hope you pick it up soon because I would love to hear your opinions!

Also I am interested in one of those Fist Puncher codes if you guys are still giving them away!

Thanks for the great CagCast as usual

I wonder if Cheapy even reads the CAGcast threads or his blog post comments. Twitter is not a good place to have a conversation. That must be were he judges all this "crazy" talk.

Loved Wombat's comments about the no headset, but I feel the new proprietary headphone jack was understated. That is BS. PS Vita memory cards are BS too. So is Xbox harddrives when any laptop hdd works with PS3/PS4. I could go on about stuff like no Indie self publish, not being able to unplug Kinect ever, but everyone has already made their minds, and no one is changing them now that MS reversed DRM.

Funny story, Cheapy would not have been able to even use Xbox One had they not reversed DRM. His country wasn't supported. 24 check-in wouldn't work with imported consoles. Maybe that's why he got all the "backlash". Not caring about policies of the future that directly affect you vs a child at a yoga class.
I read the threads sometimes.

Talked about the Xbox One with Mrs Cheapy today. She has a similar sentiment to the listener above who said they felt being "forced" to buy Kinect made them feel shitty.

I'm pretty sure I would have found away around Xbox not being launched officially here. This is why VPNs exist.

This headset controversy might not even be a thing next week given the way Microsoft has been changing its decisions lately. 

I can see why Wombat is concerned about this but honestly, it's not going to matter. Gamers are used to making extra purchases for consoles at launch and I don't see a missing headset stopping that trend. If all of your friends are buying Titanfall or Call of Duty, you're going to buy the console, the game, the Xbox Live account, and now, the headset. I think the way most people look at it is that they're spending so much on everything else that buying an extra headset is like buying batteries. 

My wife and I have been sharing Animal Crossing... after hearing your words on a previous CAGcast I told her many times, if you are going to be the mayor then you are going to play the game and continue playing. Thanks for the warning. I too do not want to have to play as my wife to unlock items. If I'm going to play the game, I am going to play my game.

Wombat someone on bombcast also started Animal Crossing w/o being the mayor. The situation was different but everyone said he should start over- being the mayor is pretty integral to the game.
FYI - no reason to start over. If you get a new copy of the game, you can move your character into the new game save to be the mayor (only if you were not the mayor in your original town). That way you can let the wife continue to have her game, but move ahead in your own and not have to worry about her.

The game is only $26.59 at Walmart and Amazon right now so it is a good time to get a second copy. I don't see it going much lower than that any time soon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0053BCML6/ref=s9_simh_gw_p63_d1_i3?tag=cheapassgam08-20&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0BXWYF8VBDQTNP4DXGBD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

But anyway Wombat, I agree with your frustration with sharing the 3DS/AC game. After just ONE day of my son playing on my copy, I went out and not only bought him his own copy of the game, but also a 3DS to play it on ;).

Mad-at-Yoga CheapyD is him at his best, hands down.

More importantly, yeah, Atlus was around in the NES days.  Go buy Rockin' Kats.  All of you.  Just go on eBay or to a used game store and do it.

bread's done
Back