Is there a way for buyers to scam you out of a physical item on eBay?

• Thread starter Deleted member 182844
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 182844

I recently sold Halo 4, and I received positive feedback from a buyer claiming he got it early. Then, a few days later, I received notification about a chargeback on Paypal. I looked at the tracking number in preparation to make sure it had been delievered, and it just said "Delivery status not updated." And it had to have been delivered by now since that was on June 26 and it was in the city of delivery. I wonder if the mail carrier just forgot to update or if he somehow tricked them into getting the item early elsewhere. Called the post office, but apparently I have to call really early when the carriers are there.

Unfortunately. If USPS man didn't scan the package. There is no proof that the item was ever delivered. So you will lose that Paypal dispute hands down. Maybe if you screen capture the positive feedback, you might have a fighting chance.

That's why with eBay I always ship with insurance.

What type of chargeback did the buyer file?

If he filed an Item Not Received "INR" chargeback then you must be able to show PROOF OF DELIVERY. According to the information you posted you won't be able to unless the tracking updates and you'll lose the case.

If he field an "Unauthorized Use" Chargeback you only need to show PROOF OF SHIPMENT. On domestic transactions typically a tracking number will suffice but it helps to always keep the shipping label receipt if you print online so that you can upload it into the case details. PROOF OF SHIPMENT means that you can prove you shipped the item to the address on the PayPal invoice---it doesn't need to necessarily be delivered just accepted by the carrier.

See section 11.3C of the PayPal user agreement for more information.

It's happened to me. Long story short, she made something up about the condition of the product, bitched to eBay, they of course sided with her and forced a return, charged me back, and I never got the item back.

Since then I've never dealt with eBay in any sense.

If he filed an Item Not Received "INR" chargeback then you must be able to show PROOF OF DELIVERY. According to the information you posted you won't be able to unless the tracking updates and you'll lose the case.

If he field an "Unauthorized Use" Chargeback you only need to show PROOF OF SHIPMENT. On domestic transactions typically a tracking number will suffice but it helps to always keep the shipping label receipt if you print online so that you can upload it into the case details. PROOF OF SHIPMENT means that you can prove you shipped the item to the address on the PayPal invoice---it doesn't need to necessarily be delivered just accepted by the carrier.

Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.

Also, call USPS hotline (number is on their site) and ask them where you package is. Do not tell them anything along the lines of "I think my package was delivered but it wasn't marked as such", simply ask why the tracking hasn't been updated and what happened to the item. The carrier who delivered the product without scanning it will be held accountable. It won't help your issue but at least the carrier will have a legit complaint (since the tracking shows a package on his route wasn't scanned delivered or non-deliverable) on his file.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately. If USPS man didn't scan the package. There is no proof that the item was ever delivered. So you will lose that Paypal dispute hands down. Maybe if you screen capture the positive feedback, you might have a fighting chance.

That's why with eBay I always ship with insurance.
I've been thinking about that, but the profit margin is already incredibly low...

Lame. eBay is such a terrible business. Too bad corporations run America so nothing can be done.

Listen to this guy, he knows what he's talking about.

Also, call USPS hotline (number is on their site) and ask them where you package is. Do not tell them anything along the lines of "I think my package was delivered but it wasn't marked as such", simply ask why the tracking hasn't been updated and what happened to the item. The carrier who delivered the product without scanning it will be held accountable. It won't help your issue but at least the carrier will have a legit complaint (since the tracking shows a package on his route wasn't scanned delivered or non-deliverable) on his file.
I will definitely try that tomorrow. Too bad I already sent the tracking to paypal... hopefully it'll update before they check it out if it works out with USPS

It's happened to me. Long story short, she made something up about the condition of the product, bitched to eBay, they of course sided with her and forced a return, charged me back, and I never got the item back.

Since then I've never dealt with eBay in any sense.
It's unbelievable that they're able to get away with that shit. They double charge (eBay and Paypal same business) and never look at evidence from the seller.

Lame. eBay is such a terrible business. Too bad corporations run America so nothing can be done.
I'm going to guess based on your response that the buyer filed an item not received chargeback? If so that is not very common and I don't understand why he just didn't open an Item Not Received DISPUTE/CASE through either paypal or eBay.

Are you sure you're not confusing the terms "Chargeback" and dispute?

To initiate a chargeback he would have had to call his credit card company. Typically a buyer will only do that if A) They lose an Item Not Received (INR) dispute though eBay or PayPal first or B) The 45 day window of opening a dispute through eBay/PayPal has elapsed.

If it was an INR dispute or Chargeback do the following:

A) Go to www.usps.com and enter the tracking information. On the tracking page select the "E-mail updates" button. Sometimes the item is scanned upon delivery but their is a glitch that prevents that information from updating. Sometimes by requesting a status update through the website it will push through any information that wasn't udpated

B) Call USPS at 1-800-ASK-USPS. To get an operator sometimes you have to spam the "0" key otherwise it'll just ask you to enter the tracking number and tell you what you already know. The operator can open a claim for you (assuming more then a week has gone by if it was FC or Priority) and he will contact the Post Master in either your zip code or the recipients zip code (I can't remember which). It ultimately may not get a tracking update but at least someone will look into and if the buyer has a history of doing this he'll get flagged.

C) This step is optional. HOWEVER----I've had good success bluffing some of my buyers into admitting they received the item. I do this by being super polite and giving the appearance that I care and am offering great customer service. I then tell them that I'm very sorry they didn't receive their item and that I am going to personally open an inquiry with USPS and speak with their local post master and hopefully carrier (come off as helpful...not threatening).

I then make sure to mention that hopefully they'll be able to recover or locate the package because mail fraud / theft of services is a very serious crime (i.e. federal offense). I then ask the buyer in the meantime to check with neighbors or any place else the mail might be left (i.e. back porch).

In most instances, once the buyer realizes you're not a push over they will cave and say something along the line of "I found the item---it was left (insert some obscure location)".

Good luck.

This is a common scam with eBay buyers since pretty much it's inception (people who notice that the delivery status is not updated)

Other common scams;

- Filing a return for some reason, sending you back a box with similar weight as item shipped. Buyer will say to look at UPS weight, it's the same as what you sent me. Now you're out shipping, item and misc fees/time.

- Someone saying the item was damaged in transit, or a disc was missing. They send back maybe the same game if you're lucky, but it's obvious it's a different copy they fucked and just used you for an exchange.

Truth be told I like Amazon marketplace better.

This is a common scam with eBay buyers since pretty much it's inception (people who notice that the delivery status is not updated)

Other common scams;

- Filing a return for some reason, sending you back a box with similar weight as item shipped. Buyer will say to look at UPS weight, it's the same as what you sent me. Now you're out shipping, item and misc fees/time.

- Someone saying the item was damaged in transit, or a disc was missing. They send back maybe the same game if you're lucky, but it's obvious it's a different copy they fucked and just used you for an exchange.

Amazon Marketplace has plenty of horror stories as well. Truth be told, people are scum. And the best thing you can do is put as many limitations and restrictions on what type of bidder can bid on your items. eBay's restrictions can be especially confusing if you don't notice that it defaults to the SHORTEST amount of time. When you're considering things like non-paying bidder strikes and other issues, you want the least amount of offences spread across the longest amount of time (ie. 2 non-paying bidder strikes over the past 12 months...which I think is the best you can do there). Even with all of the restrictions, there's a chance you'll get screwed...but that chance always exists, and it exists with Amazon as well. Lowering your odds of getting fucked over is pretty much all you can do in life.

I've honestly had better luck with Craigslist. For things that the difference isn't too much, I just trade in. It just isn't worth the risk.

I'm going to guess based on your response that the buyer filed an item not received chargeback? If so that is not very common and I don't understand why he just didn't open an Item Not Received DISPUTE/CASE through either paypal or eBay.

Are you sure you're not confusing the terms "Chargeback" and dispute?

To initiate a chargeback he would have had to call his credit card company. Typically a buyer will only do that if A) They lose an Item Not Received (INR) dispute though eBay or PayPal first or B) The 45 day window of opening a dispute through eBay/PayPal has elapsed.

If it was an INR dispute or Chargeback do the following:

A) Go to www.usps.com and enter the tracking information. On the tracking page select the "E-mail updates" button. Sometimes the item is scanned upon delivery but their is a glitch that prevents that information from updating. Sometimes by requesting a status update through the website it will push through any information that wasn't udpated

B) Call USPS at 1-800-ASK-USPS. To get an operator sometimes you have to spam the "0" key otherwise it'll just ask you to enter the tracking number and tell you what you already know. The operator can open a claim for you (assuming more then a week has gone by if it was FC or Priority) and he will contact the Post Master in either your zip code or the recipients zip code (I can't remember which). It ultimately may not get a tracking update but at least someone will look into and if the buyer has a history of doing this he'll get flagged.

C) This step is optional. HOWEVER----I've had good success bluffing some of my buyers into admitting they received the item. I do this by being super polite and giving the appearance that I care and am offering great customer service. I then tell them that I'm very sorry they didn't receive their item and that I am going to personally open an inquiry with USPS and speak with their local post master and hopefully carrier (come off as helpful...not threatening).

I then make sure to mention that hopefully they'll be able to recover or locate the package because mail fraud / theft of services is a very serious crime (i.e. federal offense). I then ask the buyer in the meantime to check with neighbors or any place else the mail might be left (i.e. back porch).

In most instances, once the buyer realizes you're not a push over they will cave and say something along the line of "I found the item---it was left (insert some obscure location)".

Good luck.
Those are great ideas. Thank you. Edit: It actually was a chargeback, but I did try A and B. It sounds like someone is looking into it, but I'm considering doing C in case Paypal makes its decision before the postal service gets around to investigating it.

Last edited:
I've honestly had better luck with Craigslist. For things that the difference isn't too much, I just trade in. It just isn't worth the risk.
I had quite a few Craigslist sales that went well in the past, but now there's so many flakes and extreme lowballing in my area. I usually try there first, because it's nice to not have to deal with high fees.

Other common scams;

Maybe Obi-Wan was referring to eBay when he used the phrase "wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Aren't they more expensive?
They are, but once you add tracking, insurance, and proof of delivery to USPS its not really, especially with longer distances. UPS and FedEx ground are both insured and give tracking numbers, and it gets there faster.

I personally like FedEx. FedEx delivery routes are franchised, like McDonalds. Some are better than others but the quality control is better.

Especially with eBay where the buyer is always right, I would never ship anything without insurance, tracking number, and proof of delivery.

bread's done
Back