CAGcast #330: Ultimate Harmony

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Shipwreck reports from the cutting edge of remote controls, Wombat finds his calling, and Cheapy plays a Sonic game.
cagcastgreen144.jpg

Download (1 hour 26 minutes) - iTunes -

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-330-ultimate-harmony[/soundcloud]

Get a $2.49 GoDaddy domain registration with code CAG249
32% off for all customers with code 32off1
$4 .com registration with 1 year privacy with code FREE9

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Money Dance by Chippy Nonstop - Shipwreck PSA

Show 330 Notes:

1:00 CAG Thug Life:
1:00 - Logitech Smart Control
11:15 - Space Invader wall stickers
13:45 Ryan Davis
22:00 Cag feedback
22:00 - Edge magazine, industry predictions
22:45 - Xb1 infommercial at movie theaters
26:30 Watch This: Despicable Me 2
28:30 - End of Watch
29:30 - Chasing Ice
31:00 New Releases
31:00 - NCAA Football 14
31:45 - Metal Gear Solid Legacy
32:30 - Dark
35:00 - Lego: Legends of Chima; Total Recoil
38:15 GTA V gameplay trailer
44:45 Cagbag
44:45 - GTA V questions
46:45 Magrunner
48:30 Wheelman
49:15 Shadow of the Colossus HD
50:00 Divinity II
51:00 Sonic Generations
53:15 Black Ops II
56:45 Dual Shock 4 light bar
59:00 PS4 camera capability
1:00:00 PS4 Digital games playable immediately and diff. locations
1:02:15 XB1 petition to bring back DRM
1:05:15 Xbox dashboard adds/mature content
1:13:45 Nintendo/Evo tournament game streaming
1:14:45 Nintendo region locking
1:18:30 GI Joe Battlegrounds
Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
$350?????? Ship!

About Ryan, his dad tweeted that he died of natural causes. That's the only thing that was revealed by his family.

About the bit with downloading games at friend's houses.

The Xbox 360 has always been able to do this.  On any Xbox 360, you can download anything with the ID that bought it.  The only problem is that you have to also be signed into that ID that bought it to play it on the "friend's" console.  The PS3 just had the limit to the number of console you can download to.

I think the way the PS4 will work is like the Xbox 360.  You'll be able to go to a friend's house, download a game you bought with your ID and play it.  Once you sign out of your ID, your friend will not be able to play.  I don't know if that's how the PS4 will work, but that is my guess.

Shipwreck has found Captain William Kidd's treasure chest.

Cheapy D does better PR for Xbox than Microsoft's own PR.

That's right Ship, buy those toys now!  Once you have children, your available pool of money (and time) for gaming is going to shrink.  And that's okay.  When I was in college, I played Gauntlet excessively in the arcade.  Now I play it with my 10 year old on the 360 - and he trounces me.    Pure awesome.

Cheapy's point about the 360's hardware reliability problems not putting it on the road to ruin ignores the fact that the 360 got a huge head start by launching a year earlier and costing $200 less than the PS3.  The Xbone is launching at the same time as the PS4, and costs $100 more.  The two major advantages Microsoft had last generation are both gone.

Show 330 Notes:

1:00 CAG Thug Life:
1:00 - Logitech Smart Control
11:15 - Space Invader wall stickers
13:45 Ryan Davis
22:00 Cag feedback
22:00 - Edge magazine, industry predictions
22:45 - Xb1 infommercial at movie theaters
26:30 Watch This: Despicable Me 2
28:30 - End of Watch
29:30 - Chasing Ice
31:00 New Releases
31:00 - NCAA Football 14
31:45 - Metal Gear Solid Legacy
32:30 - Dark
35:00 - Lego: Legends of Chima; Total Recoil
38:15 GTA V gameplay trailer
44:45 Cagbag
44:45 - GTA V questions
46:45 Magrunner
48:30 Wheelman
49:15 Shadow of the Colossus HD
50:00 Divinity II
51:00 Sonic Generations
53:15 Black Ops II
56:45 Dual Shock 4 light bar
59:00 PS4 camera capability
1:00:00 PS4 Digital games playable immediately and diff. locations
1:02:15 XB1 petition to bring back DRM
1:05:15 Xbox dashboard adds/mature content
1:13:45 Nintendo/Evo tournament game streaming
1:14:45 Nintendo region locking
1:18:30 GI Joe Battlegrounds

The actual "problem" with the PS4's light bar on the dualshock is the reflection on most TV screens you will see, and it doesn't seem to be able to be dimmed or shut off:

http://i.imgur.com/mCyRclP.gif

That gif is from this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A48r1cryz3U&feature=youtu.be&t=7m26s

Re: Sonic Generations, you would have been better off going with the currently on sale for $10 Sonic Action Pack at amazon, that comes with Generations + DLC, Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD, Spinball, 4 Episode 1 + 2, Sonic + sega all stars racing, and Sonic Adventure Dx.

I posted this in the PSN sale thread too, the biggest difference between SOTC on PS2 and the HD remake (and the main reason I bought it even though I own it on PS2) is the framerate, on the PS2 it would constantly dip to 10-20 FPS when there was action on the screen but in the remake it is steady as a rock at 30 FPS for the entire game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_GLmE7ZBPE

I think something like "capitalize on a competitor's misstep" is a more even handed way to describe it than "taking advantage" of Microsoft. "Taking advantage" I think of as exploiting someone when something happens to them outside of their control. For instance, cold calling the elderly in order to hard sell bogus investments on them is exploiting the decline in mental function which often comes with age. Microsoft's poor description of how their DRM scheme worked at E3 was a self-inflicted wound. They knew it got a chilly reception when it was unveiled in May and they had time to get all their ducks in a row to describe point by point exactly how it works to assuage consumer fears at E3, and they chose not to do that.

In much the same way Volition was able to capitalize on GTA's lack of "fun" to make in-roads with their Saint's Row franchise which started out being perceived as a second-rate GTA clone and turned into a ridiculous, joyous open-world crime game series which many consider to be superior to the more "serious" GTA franchise. As Cheapy pointed out in the CAGcast, they are finally beginning to recognize the threat Saint's Row poses and have tweaked GTA 5 in response.

---

Or just don't put mature ads on the home page of any of the xbox tabs. You can still put M-rated games and R-movies, the picture itself should just be safe for family viewing. They could have just as easily put a still of group standing in front of the spooky cabin for Evil Dead. Then once you move into the horror section of movies or click on Evil Dead's page itself and they can have all the gore they want.

Idk why would microsoft remove the DRM stuff just leave it for people who want it. Like for example I install the disc to the xbox and it needs to check every 24 hours to see if its still mine, so when the 24 hours is up it should ask for the disc to be in to play instead of not at all. thats what i stand with the petition. I think people think that the people that sign the petition would want to be only with DRM with its negative. Why not have both microsoft?

Great show guys.

So the Digital Download Catalog DRM stuff  you guys discussed is much more simple than you guys made it. (you were wrong! gasp!)

The Xbox One, it has been said, will work as the Xbox 360 does now. This is, when you are signed into your xbox live profile, you can download + play any games you have digitally purchased, anywhere, on any number of xboxes.

The playstation 4 it was announced, now will mirror this feature. CURRENTLY on the PS3, you are limited to 2 ps3 installations of a digitally purchased game, requiring some process to deactivate others before installing on a third.

I must have forgotten what we said because that doesn't sound very far off of what we said on the show. I guess we didn't talk about PS3's deactivation process.

So the Digital Download Catalog DRM stuff you guys discussed is much more simple than you guys made it. (you were wrong! gasp!)

The Xbox One, it has been said, will work as the Xbox 360 does now. This is, when you are signed into your xbox live profile, you can download + play any games you have digitally purchased, anywhere, on any number of xboxes.

The playstation 4 it was announced, now will mirror this feature. CURRENTLY on the PS3, you are limited to 2 ps3 installations of a digitally purchased game, requiring some process to deactivate others before installing on a third.

I must have forgotten what we said because that doesn't sound very far off of what we said on the show. I guess we didn't talk about PS3's deactivation process.
It wasn't too far-off, there was the Wombat quote of "this is what the xbox one had, and they took it away" which would be accurate only for the disk = digital feature, which this wasn't. And just a couple other tiny things.

Hey guys, great show this week. I really enjoyed the stuff about Ryan Davis. It was nice to hear your stories about meeting and interacting with him. Without wanting to sound too maudlin, I've been thinking a lot this week about the people who entertain me and I just wanted to say a sincere thanks to all three of you for doing this show. It means a lot to me.

Cheapy was way right. Too much time to report (and misreport) information.

Xbox One will let you play all of your digital content on any console you sign in to. That never changed and was announced when they first talked about the always online, and when they made the reversal. The only difference is that before the 180, your physical discs would have been added in to your digital library.

Great show though not enough citrus from Wombat. I feel a new segment called "What Did Sir Moneybags Shipwreck Bought This Week" is in order.
PSA: Watch Sharknado tonight, it's worthy "Watch This Bitches" material.

Regarding the region locking thing.  The DSi was the first nintendo handheld to have region locking.  Some people want colors of the 3ds and 3ds XL that are not available here but are available in other territories, they cannot import a system and play NA games.  I agree its a minority but its not just expats.  

I did import some japanese DS games and one european DS game (Last Window: The Secret of Cape West) which was fully in english but never published here.  I imported a ps3 game because it was a digital only release in North america, and even a Vita game because I'm not willing to jump through system reset/memory card hoops to play releases not available here.  

Thanks for talking about the family filters on Xbox live not working correctly. I still continue to have this problem and I've done everything Xbox support has suggested. I made the YouTube video you tweeted to Xbox support and wrote the article you RT. I just wanted to say thanks for bringing this issue to light.

The petition to bring back Xbox One DRM is so dumb and pointless. I don't think MS should even respond to it because the sooner they get the PR mess behind them, the better.

I bought it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ5RY1G/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Re: Sonic Generations, you would have been better off going with the currently on sale for $10 Sonic Action Pack at amazon, that comes with Generations + DLC, Sonic 1, 2, 3, CD, Spinball, 4 Episode 1 + 2, Sonic + sega all stars racing, and Sonic Adventure Dx.
This happens to me every time, though I think I have the racing game already.

CAG 3.0 will prevent this from happening ever again!

This happens to me every time, though I think I have the racing game already.

CAG 3.0 will prevent this from happening ever again!

I can't say I'd spend $300+ on a remote but the $100 option doesn't sound too unreasonable if it can control every piece of electronic equipment I have. Staring at my coffee table now, I count four remotes, and that doesn't even include using controllers to start up the Xbox 360 and Wii U. One remote to rule them all sounds good to me. It's a shame Logitech doesn't sponsor the show because Shipwreck convinced me in just a matter of minutes that I needed one. 

Although I'm not a father, I commend Wombat for his crusade against the ads on the Xbox dash. I'm not offended by the ads but in the lieu of Penny Arcade's kickstarter campaigns, it's commendable to see someone from the show using his online presence for something other than money. 

I don't blame Wombat for bringing up the Xbox Mature ads. It really shows that their protection system doesn't work, and it should be working. I really hate the 360's interface and my current model is close to dying, but I really don't want to buy a replacement system. 

For whatever reason, region-free original DS games work on the 3DS. I'm not engineer or anything, so I wonder if this region-locking stuff is on the system-level or if it's something publishers themselves choose to implement. 

Cheapy, Ryan Davis' father said he died of natural causes. 

Good thoughts on Ryan Davis. Ironically, the way Wombat felt when RD tweeted him is how I feel when the CAG gang reply to me. Good guy. You are good people too. Even Shipwreck. 

Hi my dearest friend Wombat;)

Have a read at the thread in the community section of the site "Xbox Community Fun Times" Larry does take the time to validate your concerns regarding mature content on the Xbox Dashboard.

The cloud feature that Microsoft was trying to express to me about the Xbox One at E3 (actually a lot of the presentation when it came to games) kept leaving me with a question as I was watching:

Where do they think I go all the time where I NEED my games and saves to be in the cloud at all times? Is there a huge nomadic gaming culture that I'm unaware of? Was I supposed to be excited that I could go to a friend's house and play my game on his console....kind of like how I can now just less restricted?

For DRM, cheapy, I don't think very many of us simply have the CONFIDENCE in Microsoft to be anything like Steam. That's where the issue was lying. MS has never really been very consumer friendly when it comes to pricing (among other things) so the thought of THEM charging significantly less for a game seemed almost impossible. I mean, Valve gives away DLC for free for the Left 4 Dead games and MS forced a price tag on it for the 360. 

For whatever reason, region-free original DS games work on the 3DS. I'm not engineer or anything, so I wonder if this region-locking stuff is on the system-level or if it's something publishers themselves choose to implement.
Since the DS was region free their cartridges have no indication of origin for region locking purposes. There were some locked DSi specific carts though.

Hi Cheapy, Wombat & Shipwreck, 

nice to be featured again with a game I worked on, not so happy circumstances given that it is DARK... Which sadly does not really get much praise... *hmpf*  Feels a bit weird, because I am still very happy with the music and sound design work we did for it. But at least you were not too cruel, most of your problems seemed to be with the premise of the game.

Let's hope that the next title I worked on that you will mention will be one you like better... :)

Cheers,

nice to be featured again with a game I worked on, not so happy circumstances given that it is DARK... Which sadly does not really get much praise... *hmpf* Feels a bit weird, because I am still very happy with the music and sound design work we did for it. But at least you were not too cruel, most of your problems seemed to be with the premise of the game.

Let's hope that the next title I worked on that you will mention will be one you like better... :)

Cheers,
I am sure the Soundtrack is great, and Happy Birthday!

As soon as you said "let me close this page before I get it" I knew you were going to :lol:. I have a cheapo Harmony and I can't say I'm not tempted by the Ultimate. $350 is a lot of dough to spend considering the one I have now works pretty well and I got it for $15 on a Target clearance.

Way to step up Wombat. As a father myself, it is definitely something I keep in mind when doing anything on the TV. Some of the posts people are making on that other site don't make sense. Like you said, Netflix has a special section for kids.

Shows with Wombat being Wombat are great. He leads a rational discussion about mature content on the dashboard, but also completely made shit up about current Xbox 360 digital policies that he had no idea about. Ah, Wombat. So close yet so far. 

-------------------------------------------

nice to be featured again with a game I worked on, not so happy circumstances given that it is DARK... Which sadly does not really get much praise... *hmpf*  Feels a bit weird, because I am still very happy with the music and sound design work we did for it. But at least you were not too cruel, most of your problems seemed to be with the premise of the game.

Let's hope that the next title I worked on that you will mention will be one you like better...  :)

Cheers,

------------------------------------------

Despite their negativity the game still seems interesting to me.  I can see why the description isn't the most appealing but the videos and screen shots look pretty hot.  Maybe I'll grab it during the steam summer sale!

I felt like you guys were "off" on this one. Cheapy kept trying to be too serious and never could seem to hear when Wombat and Shipwreck were making jokes and then when Cheapy was trying to be funny, it really wasn't. Ah well, everyone can have an off week. :)

Wombat was completely incorrect in saying the Xbox doesn't allow you to download your digital games on other consoles. There is NO limit to it and they've done it every since they started selling XBLA titles at the beginning of the 360's life. Other than the ability to start playing games before they're completely downloaded, the PS4 does nothing but match this feature that Microsoft has had for, what, nearly 8 years now?

However, kudos to Wombat for standing up for the malfunctioning parental control feature. My daughter plays Xbox with me (we both sign into our own accounts) and it frustrates me that no matter how much I tell the Xbox to keep its content family friendly, it continues to show Gears of War ads and other junk (like that State of Emergency ad) when it should not. It's bad enough I have to see ads on a service I PAY FOR, at least let me keep them family friendly!!!

Thanks for the shows, guys.

Shipwreck, you aren't going far enough with that remote of yours, garage door? You know there are apps for just about every part of your car, from the windshield wipers to the oil meter to the ignition to the ejector seat. Logitech should already allow us to pay tolls with a click of the remote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecszz-U5wH0
my favorite Ryan Davis moment

Wombat what happened to your headphones, or microphone mod show? Maybe cheapy could you up with some new gear!

I really loved hearing Shipwreck talk about G.I. Joe: Battlegrounds. I'm playing the Transformers version and they way he described it was perfect. You don't know what you're doing, all you do is press a button to battle, cards come raining down during events, and it really isn't much of a game. Mobage and Hasbro got us with the nostalgia and artwork. This app is basically a glorified artbook but I love it too and I can't explain why.

Sonic Unleashed is the (last) one everybody hates, even though the Daytime levels laid the groundwork for the games after (see for yourself!).  Why fishing in the first Sonic Adventure gets a free pass is beyond me.

With Shipwreck's spending habits, how is he ever going to save enough money to send little Mary Coleman to college?
Separate gaming account!!!

Sonic Unleashed is the (last) one everybody hates, even though the Daytime levels laid the groundwork for the games after (see for yourself!). Why fishing in the first Sonic Adventure gets a free pass is beyond me.
There are mods for that to get them into Sonic Generations. I need to try.

Here are the Space Invaders wall stickers i talked about. Added to OP.

BPBTm8wCUAATt3a.jpg

It was a known thing that Ryan Davis suffered from sleep apnea, so he probably died in his sleep from that.

I think the thing with logging in on your account on a friend's PS4 and downloading/playing your games is that they're removing the system limits and weirdness that came with that on the PS3.

It's weird that people try to twist what few bits of info on the DRM that Microsoft announced into this grand plan for awesome things that they never talked about. It sort of reminds me of what people envisioned could be done with the Wii Remote since it's announcement that mostly never came to fruition because it wasn't nearly as good as people expected.

bread's done
Back