* * * - - 41 votes

Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

#31 doubledown   Funky Daddy CAGiversary!   11758 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

I have mine Pre-Ordered at Best Buy (had almost $100 in GC's and RZ certs).  Also used the Best Buy CC to get 0% for 18 months...haha.  I'm still a bit on the fence about the deal.  I actually pre-ordered the PS4 also at Amazon, but I may cancel it eventually.  I still have a back-log of current gen games and I was going to sell my current gen consoles to pay off the next gen stuff.  (I have both PS3/360).  Now I'm debating if I get rid of them or not yet.  Not sure if my friends are early adopters, so who knows.

As for games I'm excited for:

- Dead Rising 3 looks impressive.

- BF4 or CoD Ghosts...not sure yet

- Titanfall when it is released for sure.

#32 Ashane   CAG in Training CAG Veteran   409 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

^ That video right there has me so excited for DR3... :P

#33 WV Matsui  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:18 AM

Just watched this and was coming to post it! Wow... I wasn't even really interested in this one. Holy crap!

#34 Jimbo Slice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7383 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Jimbo Slice

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

Have my XB1 preordered and looking forward to the release. Owned both consoles for almost this whole generation but sold off my PS3 some time ago because I greatly prefer the Xbox interface, controller and overall ecosystem.

Definitely picking up at launch:

Killer Instinct

Dead Rising 3

NBA 2K14

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Kinect Sports

I'll check out Ryse eventually.

#35 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

Well, the new features out of ComicCon for the Xbox One just reaffirms my belief it's going to be such a better overall experience than the PS4. Knowing which player is holding the controller and auto switching to their profile, and being able to use Kinect to basically put your face and body on your game's player is the kind of nuances I love and expected. Can't wait.

Now if we could just get a release date.

#36 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Well, the new features out of ComicCon for the Xbox One just reaffirms my belief it's going to be such a better overall experience than the PS4. Knowing which player is holding the controller and auto switching to their profile, and being able to use Kinect to basically put your face and body on your game's player is the kind of nuances I love and expected. Can't wait.

Now if we could just get a release date.

that face thing will be nice for games like madden and ea sports games that have face in game thing it was a pain to get a photo to work on ea sports website to put your face in the games. 

#37 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

that face thing will be nice for games like madden and ea sports games that have face in game thing it was a pain to get a photo to work on ea sports website to put your face in the games.

Yup. I can't for the life of me figure why Call of Duty and games like that don't have the face modeling stuff yet.

#38 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

Yup. I can't for the life of me figure why Call of Duty and games like that don't have the face modeling stuff yet.

would be full of 12 year old faces lolol

#39 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:32 PM

I think to anybody who is saying they will get one if they drop Kinect, this pretty much kills that notion, it cost too much for them to drop it anytime soon if ever:

New Kinect Costs Almost As Much as Xbox One
By Brian P Rubin | 17 July 2013 | 6 Comments   

A post on GamesIndustry from yesterday points the way back to a Reddit “Ask Me Anything,” or AMA, in which an anonymous (but verified) Microsoft developer offered up some details about the work being done to create the Xbox One console. Among the more interesting revelations: the new Kinect sensor, which is a required and packed-in accessory, costs almost as much to manufacture as does the Xbox One itself.

“The majority of the masses care only about the console. Except that the success of the Kinect carries much more weight to us. The sensor costs almost as much as the console to make.

The goal with having a Kinect ship with every Xbox is to guarantee to game developers if they implement Kinect features into their games, everyone who has an Xbox will be able to experience it. I often see people dismiss the Kinect instantly because they haven’t seen it work like I have. It is an integral part of the Xbox One experience.”

If nothing else, that should point to the Kinect working quite a bit better than the sensor of the current generation, which for its lifecycle has been plagued with inaccuracies and poor implementation. The most success the original Kinect had was with those who hacked into its guts and used it for their own purposes. As for games? Not so much.

But hearing that the new Kinect will cost a pretty penny (and is likely the main reason that the Xbox One costs $500, allowing the sensor-less PS4 to cost $400) at the very least might signify that the device will work a damn sight better. It may actually track your movements well, and may actually recognize your voice commands, and may actually be a worthwhile addition to your living room.

That said, if you’re not interested in motion-based gaming, you’re not interested in it. There’s a reason the Wii sold really well among non-gamers, and then didn’t get much or any support from third party developers. So far motion-based gaming has proven to be a very effective fad, and far from the video game revolution it was promised to be.

[Via GamesIndustry]

#40 WV Matsui  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

I can't believe how any one wouldn't want the Kinect after the info that came out of Comic Con yesterday. That's just scratching the surface of how awesome this tech is going to be!

#41 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

I can't believe how any one wouldn't want the Kinect after the info that came out of Comic Con yesterday. That's just scratching the surface of how awesome this tech is going to be!

People are too short-sighted. They see it as the gimmick the wii and Kinect 1 was, or that they "just want games". Well that's certainly something people can only want, but they'll be missing out on some real creative stuff.

Like I've said, people can bitch about the One all they want, once they start seeing it in action, they are going to want it.

#42 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

I'd be a lot more ok with Kinect 2.0 if it was basically subsidized. We already know it's going to be used for targeted advertising. Why not make the system $350 or even $300? MS could afford that and make up the loss with ads that are already going to be there anyways. And was there big news out of comic con I missed? Your avatars smile if you smile? Hell that's kind of creepy. And the instant recognition? I mean that sort of falls under the same category as playing a game while match-making-nice but completely unnecessary and not enough of a difference when choosing a console. I think key will be the download experience. I won't expect it right out of the gate but if the PS4 doesn't offer similar speeds and ease of use within a year I think they'll have really dropped the ball. Matchmaking on PS3 is pretty good as is in my experience, so it doesn't need a huge overhaul, but seeing as they are charging for MP they definitely should work to make it at least close to on par with what MS will be doing.

#43 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:42 PM

Ha, apparently no one with any knowledge of comics works on the Xbox social team:

Only at Comic-Con would we catch Spawn checking out the new Xbox One. See the set of new photos we added to our ‪#‎SDCC‬ Album.
1075890_10151743567446023_1485382899_n.j

#44 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:46 AM

i guess things are being deleted on this forum now 

#45 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:38 AM

I have no problems with people who enjoy Kinect and are looking forward to it.  To each their own, and I couldn't give a rat's ass how someone enjoys frivolous hobbies like games, tv etc. in their free time.

But if you're one who enjoys it, why's it so hard to see that not everyone is going to feel the same?

I loathe motion controls and will never play another game that requires me to interact with it with more than a gamepad.  I'll happily quit gaming and spend time on more productive activities and more enjoyable hobbies if gamepad controlled games go the way of the dodo.

I have no interest in talking to games or my TV (my Harmony remote is fine, thank you very much).  I don't want my face in games.  I play games (and enjoy any type of fictional entertainment in general) to take a break from my life/reality.  Face scanning to select profiles is useless to me as my profile is the only one on any of my consoles (and always will be as I'll never have kids, never have roommates again etc.).

I'm not poo-pooing on any of those features.  Some are nifty for those interested in them for sure.  Just saying they're not for me.  And that's why I'd never buy the X1 with them included (or any console with a camera or motion control stuff forced in).  I have no interest in it, it drives up costs, and I don't want to support it financially (and thus encourage the trend to continue) by buying it despite not wanting that stuff.  Will be great for those who want it I'm sure, but such folks shouldn't have such a hard understanding that like anything in life--it's not for everyone.  Enjoy it when it's here, and don't waste so much energy trying to convince others why it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

By the same token, I'm not wasting energy telling people they shouldn't buy or enjoy an X1 just because I'm not interested in it, or trying to convince people Kinect is terrible or anything.  It's just not for me, and I couldn't care less how much it sells or doesn't, or who buys one or doesn't.  It's fun discussing the industry and seeing why people enjoy what they do and why they decide to buy things they do.  But certainly not worth arguing over, or assuming everyone who isn't interested in the same console/features is a fanboy, or just ignorant of the features etc. vs. just accepting that everyone has different tastes, interests and preferences.

#46 Danimal   12/2003 - 9/2018 CAGiversary!   2920 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

I preordered it along with the XB1 mostly just so I'd have a game to play when the console arrived from Amazon.  I liked the E3 demo; that was really all I'd seen of the game.  This video has me pretty pumped for it, too.

#47 WV Matsui  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

This thread is basically going to turn into the other thread and its pretty unfortunate.

Watched World War Z yesterday and it solidified my preorder for DR3! Haha I want to fight the hoard!

#48 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

The only game I have some hype for is DR3 and I am still a little leery of the new direction they are taking it. I am not saying it will be bad just because it won't be like the first two, but I need to see more.

All that being said though, I likely won't be getting a XB1 at launch or anytime soon after. I still don't dig the Kinect being required. I will get one eventually, but when it is around the 300 range probably.

#49 WV Matsui  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:05 PM

The only game I have some hype for is DR3 and I am still a little leery of the new direction they are taking it. I am not saying it will be bad just because it won't be like the first two, but I need to see more.

All that being said though, I likely won't be getting a XB1 at launch or anytime soon after. I still don't dig the Kinect being required. I will get one eventually, but when it is around the 300 range probably.

Are you talking about the silliness from the first two? If so it's still there and they showed a lot of it at SDCC.

#50 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Not a big deal to me since I haven't recorded anything I did in video games since the 16-bit days but I'm sure some will care about this:

Mon, Jul 22, 2013 | 12:04 BST

Xbox One captures your last 5 minutes of play compared to PS4′s 15

Xbox One will boast similar footage capture and sharing tech to PS4, but Microsoft has confirmed that the console will only record your last five minutes of play at any given time. PlayStation 4 on the other hand, captures the last 15 minutes.

20130531_xbox_one.jpg

You may have seen that we reported on Microsoft’s Xbox One panel session at Comic-Con last night, in which Microsoft Studios creative director Ken Lobb used the console’s Project Upload feature to record Killer Instinct highlights from Evo 2013.

Well, Gamespot reports that during the same session Lobb confirmed that Xbox One is capable of recording your last five minutes of gameplay, compared to PS4′s 15 minutes.

Lobb said, “The idea is you’re always recording. The last five minutes of any game you’re playing are always being stored on your hard drive.”

Say you’re making a compilation video but can’t stop your session to save the last five minutes before capturing the next; Lobb said added, “Say you’re playing online and you just did the best thing ever – you can’t pause as you’re playing online. You can say ‘Xbox, record that’ and it’ll grab the last 30 seconds of gameplay for you to play around with later.”

What do you make of the difference in capture time between Xbox One and PS4? Let us know below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

#51 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 22 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, also irrelevant to me.  I have no interest in recording or sharing any of my gaming.

Other than occasionally playing some online MP (and mostly only coop) my gaming hasn't really changed since I was a kid playing the NES. I just want to turn on a console, load up a game and veg out by myself for a while.  It's never been a social thing for me.  Just a fun/different hobby to kill some time with a few hours a week. So all these extra features are just lost on me personally.

As for the difference between the two consoles recording features, I guess that just matters on how long of videos people are wanting to make.  I'm assuming you can make longer than 5 or 15 minutes and that's just how much is always being recorded that you can go back and grab?  If so, I don't see that as a big deal as I'd think the people really into making videos would be doing it more actively, and 5 or 15 minutes should be plenty for the "I just did something awesome and want to save it" type recordings--especially since you can just voice command to do it on the X1 per above.

#52 4thHorseman   The New God CAGiversary!   2469 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

4thHorseman

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

The only times I've ever wanted to record something was if a crazy glitch or something happens. The number of times that it's happened I can count on one hand. Not too worried.

#53 SlapshotSammy  

SlapshotSammy

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

I'm looking forward to Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and LEGO: Marvel most.

Watch Dogs, Ryse and LocoCycle are other launch titles I'm interested in, but I'll probably wait for word of mouth.

Does anyone know why the Xbox Live Day One edition includes Jago? I thought Jago was the free character for everyone?

#54 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder Banned   7273 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:37 AM

Shadow Jago

#55 WV Matsui  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

Very interesting article - X1 May Have 3x More Launch Units

http://uk.gamespot.c...han-ps4-6411894

#56 Corvin   ...of Gilead CAGiversary!   5241 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:24 PM

Yeah, also irrelevant to me.  I have no interest in recording or sharing any of my gaming.

Exactly.  Another novel feature that many will try once and few will actually use on a regular basis.  I've recorded a few Halo bits to share with friends but they never watch them anyway.  :lol:

#57 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

Some good news, MS is going to allow indies to self publish, and is trying to speed up the certification process.

http://www.gameinfor..._medium=twitter

Not really news, but MS shot down the rumor of a Kinect-less X1 bundle by summer:

http://kotaku.com/mi...ne-bu-897031441

Never put any stock in that rumor as they're really determined to push Kinect and aren't going to give in that easily, if at all this generation--especially if there are regular games (rather than Kinect specific titles) that end up requiring it as any future Kinect-less bundle wouldn't be able to play those titles out of the box.  

#58 WV Matsui  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

Continued good news for the X1

#59 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

Continued good news for the X1

oh man good news about x1 that is unheard of  :bouncy:

#60 kcobra22  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

Looks like Microsoft did confirm the reports about self publishing, as well as saying that each xbox one console will double as a dev kit.