* * * - - 41 votes

Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

#61 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

True or not, you don't expect them to confirm the console everyone wants right before the launch of the console they want everyone to buy do you?

Oh of course not. But I don't see them giving in on Kinect ever. A price drop in a year (or less), if its selling poorly? Sure. And same for Sony if the PS4 sales were lagging.  Time will tell on that.

But I imagine Kinect will always be packed in as I imagine some core games will require use of it and they're aren't going to want to render those games unplayable to future owners who buy a later bundle that doesn't include Kinect.

Plus it's just part of their core vision of the console. They want people to use and love gestures, voice commands etc. for games, interacting with their TV etc. They're going to sink or swim with that focus. Sink with me as I'll never buy one with Kinect included as I have no interest in it,and don't want to support it financially as I want motion/voice controls to die off (or at least stay for the casual/fitness/dance type games).

#62 highoffcoffee496   I gotta believe! CAGiversary!   1449 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

highoffcoffee496

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

Continued good news for the X1

Should have been like that in the first place....they literally have reversed almost every single policy they originally presented. I mean, this is good for everyone of course; I just still have a hard time grasping what they were trying to achieve with their initial policies in the first place.

#63 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

They were just trying to exert maximum control over games on their consoles so they could make more money.  Simple as that.

But it is good that they've changed so many policies.  Shows why competition is so important and having at least two strong players in the console gaming market is a good thing.  It keeps them in check somewhat and makes it harder for them to enforce policies that are not consumer or indie developer friendly.

#64 mr.me   CAGiversary! Silenced   590 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:34 PM

People are too short-sighted. They see it as the gimmick the wii and Kinect 1 was, or that they "just want games". Well that's certainly something people can only want, but they'll be missing out on some real creative stuff.

Like I've said, people can bitch about the One all they want, once they start seeing it in action, they are going to want it.

Or maybe some people have a different preference than you. It looks cool to you and you're probably going to enjoy it, but for some people it's insignificant.

#65 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Or maybe some people have a different preference than you. It looks cool to you and you're probably going to enjoy it, but for some people it's insignificant.

And for other's it's a negative rather than insignificant.  Like me as I loathe motion controls and voice controls no matter how well they work. I'm not short sighted.  It's just not something I enjoy at all based on experience with motion control games.  I hated the entirety of it, not just that they didn't work perfectly on Wii or Kinect 1.  I don't enjoy moving around or making gestures to play games.  It just isn't fun to me at all. I'm sure Kinect 2 will be much more accurate etc. than Kinect 1, but that's not going to make someone like me who hates any kind of motion control gaming feel any different about it as we hate the concept not the past executions of it.

And again, I have no qualms with people who like motion controls and are looking forward to getting better experiences with an improved Kinect on X1. More power to them.  We're talking games and all that matters is playing what you enjoy.  People on forums like these spend far too much time insulting/arguing with people with different gaming preferences than their own, rather than just focusing on enjoying what they like playing.  Especially for something like this where there's a clear choice between a console with motion control stuff packed in, and one without.  

I'm not going around trashing X1 all over the place as there's another console that fits my needs better next gen, and there are plenty of people excited for what MS is trying to do with the X1.  That's the beauty of having competition and variety.  Now if Sony had packed in the Eye camera with every PS4, then I'd be doing a lot more ranting and bitching (about both companies) as I'd have no next-gen console options. :D  As is, there are two fairly different machines coming out, and that's a good thing.  More variety, and more fun to watch and discuss as the launches approach and proceed.

#66 mr.me   CAGiversary! Silenced   590 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

And for other's it's a negative rather than insignificant.  Like me as I loathe motion controls and voice controls no matter how well they work. I'm not short sighted.  It's just not something I enjoy at all based on experience with motion control games.  I hated the entirety of it, not just that they didn't work perfectly on Wii or Kinect 1.  I don't enjoy moving around or making gestures to play games.  It just isn't fun to me at all. I'm sure Kinect 2 will be much more accurate etc. than Kinect 1, but that's not going to make someone like me who hates any kind of motion control gaming feel any different about.

And again, I have no qualms with people who like them and are looking forward to getting better experiences with an improved Kinect on X1. More power to them.  We're talking games and all that matters is playing what you enjoy.  People on forums like these spend far too much time insulting/arguing with people with different gaming preferences than their own, rather than just focusing on enjoying what they like playing.  Especially for something like this where there's a clear choice between a console with motion control stuff packed in, and one without.  

I'm not going around trashing X1 all over the place as there's another console that fits my needs better next gen, and there are plenty of people excited for what MS is trying to do with the X1.  Now if Sony had packed in Eye too, then I'd be doing a lot more ranting and bitching as I'd have no next-gen console options. veryhappy13.gif  As is, there are two fairly different machines coming out, and that's a good thing.  More variety, and more fun to watch and discuss as the launches approach and proceed.

I was specifically refering to the features of Kinect as being insignificant. The fact that it raises the price and it's something I don't want makes it a negative for me also. The features announced don't look like anything special to me, but I'm also not big on motion controls. A good example is Super Mario Galaxy. It's an amazing game, but the motion controls didn't add anything and in some instances detracted from the game.

It looks good to some people and that's fine, but I really don't understand why some people act as though someone not liking it is impossible.

#67 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:32 PM

A good example is Super Mario Galaxy. It's an amazing game, but the motion controls didn't add anything and in some instances detracted from the game.

It looks good to some people and that's fine, but I really don't understand why some people act as though someone not liking it is impossible.

SMG is a great example of why I don't like motion controls being included in every console--they end up getting forced into games.  The waggle to spin and the pointer stuff took away from my enjoyment of SMG a ton.  To the extent that I had to really keep slogging to finish it and never bothered with the sequel.  

I don't want gestures popping up in games and ruining them for me like that on X1--only time will tell how many developers put crap like that in their games.  It's much less of an issue if it's totally optional for anything but Kinect-specific titles (fitness, dance, party games etc.).

To the second, agree and that was my point.  People just  need to accept that not everyone is going to like motion controls or the other Kinect features.  I'm not going to go around and call people names or say they're short sighted etc. for enjoying and looking forward to them.  More power to the them.  They can enjoy all that stuff on their X1s and I'll enjoy my regular games with guaranteed regular controls (due to no camera being packed in) on PS4.

#68 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:12 AM

Some good news, MS is going to allow indies to self publish, and is trying to speed up the certification process.

http://www.gameinfor..._medium=twitter

It's a start but several indie devs have brought up the very valid point that if MS doesn't do much to promote indies (think the no man''s land that is XBLA indies now where there's no way to stand out and no promotion) they still aren't going to bother. Sony and Nintendo actively court and promote indie titles, which MS has been extremely lax in doing the last several years.

#69 WV Matsui  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

It's a start but several indie devs have brought up the very valid point that if MS doesn't do much to promote indies (think the no man''s land that is XBLA indies now where there's no way to stand out and no promotion) they still aren't going to bother. Sony and Nintendo actively court and promote indie titles, which MS has been extremely lax in doing the last several years.

It's not their market. I would love to see how important indie titles are to the Xbox gamer. None of my close friends who play Xbox even know what indies are let alone have ever played one. To me this is just a small line item. But that's me.

#70 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

That's definitely it. MS wants the casual and mainstream gamer market, and hopes to broaden appeal with that market with all the TV and media stuff. They don't care about the hardcore gamers playing indie games or Japanese developed games.

Time well tell whether that strategy works out for them or not after we have a few years of next gen hardware and software sales totals to look at. Will catering mainly to the mainstream gamer who just buys the western developed blockbuster games keep them in first place in. US sales? It will be interesting to see. One study I saw a thread about on GAF yesterday has the PS4 with a 50% lead currently. But of course surveys about which people are planning to buy currently may not be indicative of sales status a year or two down the line.

#71 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

Apparently there are some "strings attached" to the indie stuff, and some indie revs are still very unhappy with ms's system.

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=634156

#72 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11927 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

So some bad news for XB1 for once: Kinect Sports Rivals delayed till Spring.

Where does that leave us for Kinect required launch games? 0?

#73 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

So some bad news for XB1 for once: Kinect Sports Rivals delayed till Spring.

Where does that leave us for Kinect required launch games? 0?

zero has of right now but it's possible they announce more games when they announce release date

#74 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

yes most hardcore gamers like us want to see great indie game support but lets be honest 360 has awful indie support and it sold pretty dang well most people don't buy/play indie games.

#75 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder Banned   7273 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:31 PM

yes most hardcore gamers like us want to see great indie game support but lets be honest 360 has awful indie support and it sold pretty dang well most people don't buy/play indie games.

Because people auto assume Indie = small budget = shitty game

#76 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:47 PM

i don't play many indie games but the ones i have played on ps3 and 360 i loved and had more fun then most AAA titles

#77 Kamagii   Ninja Gaiden speedrunner CAGiversary!   3531 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:12 AM

Only game I want for XboxOne is Quantum Break for the simple fact that I have never been disappointed by a Remedy game. Always seems like they put their hearts into their games. sad that it will be a Xbone exclusive.

#78 chubbyninja1319   Where's my stuff!? CAGiversary!   5476 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

chubbyninja1319

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:20 AM

That's too bad about Kinect Sports being delayed, but it was doubtful I'd get it at launch anyway.  I am really struggling with what game to buy on launch.  I'm excited for KI and plan to buy into that on some level.  But, I'm torn on Ryse.  I "want" to like it, but I've yet to see a report that was positive.  Lots of unknowns about that game right now.  If they'd be more open about showing vids, gameplay, etc., I'd have more warm 'n fuzzies over it.  If not Ryse, then I guess I'd go with ACIV.  I haven't really enjoyed the last two AC games, but I'm a sucker for pirate stuff, so that might be the one.  I have a couple months to decide. 

#79 highoffcoffee496   I gotta believe! CAGiversary!   1449 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

highoffcoffee496

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

Only game I want for XboxOne is Quantum Break for the simple fact that I have never been disappointed by a Remedy game. Always seems like they put their hearts into their games. sad that it will be a Xbone exclusive.

I'm holding out hope it may one day come out on PC as I too love Remedy games

#80 WV Matsui  

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

That's too bad about Kinect Sports being delayed, but it was doubtful I'd get it at launch anyway. I am really struggling with what game to buy on launch. I'm excited for KI and plan to buy into that on some level. But, I'm torn on Ryse. I "want" to like it, but I've yet to see a report that was positive. Lots of unknowns about that game right now. If they'd be more open about showing vids, gameplay, etc., I'd have more warm 'n fuzzies over it. If not Ryse, then I guess I'd go with ACIV. I haven't really enjoyed the last two AC games, but I'm a sucker for pirate stuff, so that might be the one. I have a couple months to decide.

There were a lot of good articles that came out of SDCC about Ryse.

I'm going for

Ryse
DR3
BF4
Forza 5
Watch Dogs

#81 Mr. Sasaki  

Mr. Sasaki

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

I'm excited about what it will offer in the future. Sure the system will have a slow start since with the whole fiasco back in Spring and I honestly was hoping for them to keep it, but overall the system seems to be going in the right direction in not only gaming but innovation as a whole. The only titles I see myself in buying would be Battlefield 4, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, and Killer Instinct.

My question is though, will my 360 arcade stick be compatible with the Xbox One? I would hate to shell out another $200-$300 for some good arcade sticks.

BTW, do you guys agree that it's safe to add the Dev Kit programming on the console to help people such as myself dig into and learning how a game is made?

#82 Jimbo Slice   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   7383 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Jimbo Slice

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

My question is though, will my 360 arcade stick be compatible with the Xbox One? I would hate to shell out another $200-$300 for some good arcade sticks.

Nope.  :headache:

#83 spatenfloot   Don't read this! CAGiversary!   472 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

spatenfloot

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

BTW, do you guys agree that it's safe to add the Dev Kit programming on the console to help people such as myself dig into and learning how a game is made?

The dev kit capability, when they add it, will require a license fee. You may want to start on PC or android if you are simply curious.

#84 David Hibiki   You must be tired... CAGiversary!   11927 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

David Hibiki

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Good news today!

XB1 will have UNLIMITED cloud storage for saves.

It also requires no paywall, IE even silver members can use it.

Now if we can only "stream (without a full installation) if XB1 games that would be pretty sweet for a temporary situation when people fill their 500 gigs of HD Space.

#85 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:51 AM

Good news today!

XB1 will have UNLIMITED cloud storage for saves.

It also requires no paywall, IE even silver members can use it.

Now if we can only "stream (without a full installation) if XB1 games that would be pretty sweet for a temporary situation when people fill their 500 gigs of HD Space.

wow maybe alot more things will be coming out of the paywall. it would help ms a tons of all apps like netflix comes to silver members

#86 4thHorseman   The New God CAGiversary!   2469 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

4thHorseman

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

Good news for 360 owners: Self publishing isn't just going to be an X1 thing, but also for the 360. At least according to a developer:

http://www.polygon.c...-says-developer

#87 Daywalker   KNOW YOUR RANK CAGiversary!   409 Posts   Joined 17.9 Years Ago  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

Has anyone seen this yet?  

X1 Headset now included with the console?  

#88 WV Matsui  

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:55 PM

Awesome news!

#89 kcobra22  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:08 AM

pretty sure they got that wrong...

#90 WV Matsui  

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:50 AM

pretty sure they got that wrong...

Even if they did I would almost bet it happens.