* * * - - 41 votes

Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

#10381 DestroVega   Life is short... stunt it CAGiversary!   7191 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

DestroVega

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:41 PM

I still think Cortana blows. So glad you can switch it off. So much better. Thanks for the tip.

#10382 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:02 PM

I never really felt the need, I don't really use voice for my smartphone either, I boxed up my Kinect a while ago.

#10383 RBK  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:47 AM

It was significantly slower, but I don't think it was no longer than a 10-15 sec wait.

#10384 sp00ge   Hey guys, I'm a turd! CAGiversary!   11840 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:51 AM

I hated Cortana.  My biggest gripe, aside from just being annoying, was with recording clips, especially in Rocket League.  "Cortana record that" would cause the game's framerate to tank and stutter for over a minute, which is bad when you're in the middle of an online match.

As soon as the update went live, I deactivated her.

#10385 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:57 PM

I hated Cortana.  My biggest gripe, aside from just being annoying, was with recording clips, especially in Rocket League.  "Cortana record that" would cause the game's framerate to tank and stutter for over a minute, which is bad when you're in the middle of an online match.

As soon as the update went live, I deactivated her.

That's because she replicates herself over and over, which I'd assume takes up some CPU.  :-P

#10386 guyver2077   CAG Original CAGiversary!   16084 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

guyver2077

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:51 PM

speaking of which, my free kinect adapter arrived today. I was looking forward to connecting my Kinect back up but wasn't expecting such a big cable not to mention another power source needed.

#10387 stillshadow   Arcade Nostalgiac CAGiversary!   967 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

stillshadow

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:02 AM

Hey, just got my 2TB S and really enjoying getting back into One after a hiatus. So with everything that's come out in the past year what do I spend all my gaming time with after a big break? Pac-Mac 256. Of course.

I was really looking forward to background music, but I can't find any services I will actually bother with yet? Am I missing something? I don't want to sign up with Groove or have to plug in a USB drive. What else is there? I've read a lot about Pandora, but I can't download the new app without errors. Anyone have any tips? I'm in the Preview program. I love Spotify so of course Sony has whatever exclusive BS they have with that. It's great on my PS4 - would love it on my One.

Guyver, you got the Kinect cable? I've been procrastinating on requesting one from MS. Was it easy enough? That absolutely bites that it actually needs an extra power supply? Awful.

Love how quiet and snappy the S is, though.

P.S. Please add me to your friends list. I like to feel like someone else is actually up doing the same thing when I sign on at crazy hours.

#10388 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8704 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:10 PM

Two quick questions.

First, how much does MS charge if you send a One in for a drive replacement and secondly do they accept consoles that have been opened before.

My GF's One had basically a dead drive so we bought a new one and replaced it ourselves. Now this drive seems to be dead so I am looking into either sending it in or having her save up for a slim. Does anyone know how much they charge for this and is it even worth the hassle?

Thanks.

#10389 KillerRamen   OMG Lilac PSP! CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 11:45 PM

I'm pretty sure that they don't mess with opened consoles.

#10390 Rig   Rig = Lunar CAGiversary!   14092 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:03 AM

I'm almost certain they won't do any repair on an open console. They'll just mail it right back to you.

#10391 mvp828   It's not CAGers Dammit CAGs CAGiversary!   2577 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:29 AM

Two quick questions.

First, how much does MS charge if you send a One in for a drive replacement and secondly do they accept consoles that have been opened before.

My GF's One had basically a dead drive so we bought a new one and replaced it ourselves. Now this drive seems to be dead so I am looking into either sending it in or having her save up for a slim. Does anyone know how much they charge for this and is it even worth the hassle?

Thanks.

Did the replacement drive work at all?

I'm just curious since the 360 drives had to have a couple things dune before they'd work. They weren't a plug and play swap.

#10392 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:49 AM

Over on the XBL Deals thread the addition of the system making a sound either being turned on by the system button or controller and tweaking its settings are shown and discussed.

You can now modify when you hear the startup chime! You’ll find three new options in Settings > Power & startup > Power mode & startup.
  • On (startup chime plays anytime the console is powered on).
  • Only with power button or voice (startup chime plays when console is powered on via the power button or voice; does not play when powered on with the controller).
  • Off (startup chime never plays).

I noticed this as well.

#10393 Sir_Fragalot   wants Startropics 3. CAGiversary!   8704 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Sir_Fragalot

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:50 AM

Did the replacement drive work at all?

I'm just curious since the 360 drives had to have a couple things dune before they'd work. They weren't a plug and play swap.

The drive worked for like 6-7 months. Then that drive took a crap on me. Don't really want to get a new drive for the system but I will look at my options.

I tried the BF1 beta today. Yep, it's Battlefield with 64 player maps. It's not bad by any stretch but it's Battlefield. You know what's coming.

#10394 sammiefry  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:59 PM

Has anyone ever had games not show up in the my games section on Xbox.com? It seems like every game I have after the windows store merge except for code redemptions are missing. If I manually go to the games store page it does show I own them. It seems to only be affecting my Xbox one game list not my 360. The games show up in my order history fine. Is there a 6 page limit to the my game section and after that it only shows the most recent game you got?

#10395 Burning Karma   Ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah CAGiversary!   893 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Burning Karma

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

Has anyone ever had games not show up in the my games section on Xbox.com? It seems like every game I have after the windows store merge except for code redemptions are missing. If I manually go to the games store page it does show I own them. It seems to only be affecting my Xbox one game list not my 360. The games show up in my order history fine. Is there a 6 page limit to the my game section and after that it only shows the most recent game you got?

Are they showing up under the Ready to Install list? Maybe your Xbox isn't doing the automatic download; I know mine doesn't always want to.

#10396 sammiefry  

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:37 PM

Are they showing up under the Ready to Install list? Maybe your Xbox isn't doing the automatic download; I know mine doesn't always want to.

They do show up there and auto install. The only reason I am worried is if they don't show up on the Xbox.com my game section I am worried it's not seeing me as owning the game. It does show that I own them on my Xbox one system. After the window store merge I started getting my receipts to my old email address. The old email address has another live account attached to it now and the purchases don't show in it as they do in my main account. So I know it's being attached to my main account. Xbox support was really no help. When I buy via PayPal it goes to the correct email but account credit is locked it seems to my old email and address. I was hoping the max page count in my games was 6 but I'm thinking it's just glitched.

#10397 guyver2077   CAG Original CAGiversary!   16084 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

guyver2077

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:05 AM

so far so good for xbox play anywhere. (huge improvement over the quantum break redeeming process)

recore ofcourse has been preloaded on my xbox for a bit but I have the PC version installing as well now.

#10398 Renegade Moose   The cake is a lie. CAGiversary!   1063 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Renegade Moose

Posted 13 September 2016 - 01:17 AM

They do show up there and auto install. The only reason I am worried is if they don't show up on the Xbox.com my game section I am worried it's not seeing me as owning the game. It does show that I own them on my Xbox one system. After the window store merge I started getting my receipts to my old email address. The old email address has another live account attached to it now and the purchases don't show in it as they do in my main account. So I know it's being attached to my main account. Xbox support was really no help. When I buy via PayPal it goes to the correct email but account credit is locked it seems to my old email and address. I was hoping the max page count in my games was 6 but I'm thinking it's just glitched.

Sounds like your system is registered to your old account? This would explain why you can see the purchases on there but not on the relevant account. When purchasing via PayPal the PayPal receipt would go to whatever email address you have associated with your PayPal account. Based on what you've said so far I can't think of another explanation. You could log into your old account on Xbox.com and see if the associated purchases are showing up there just to confirm.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

#10399 sammiefry  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:16 PM

Sounds like your system is registered to your old account? This would explain why you can see the purchases on there but not on the relevant account. When purchasing via PayPal the PayPal receipt would go to whatever email address you have associated with your PayPal account. Based on what you've said so far I can't think of another explanation. You could log into your old account on Xbox.com and see if the associated purchases are showing up there just to confirm.

Thanks I will check that out tonight. 

#10400 sammiefry  

Posted 15 September 2016 - 11:37 PM

I figured it out when the store merged now all games show up in the windows 10 section. You go to the windows store from your pc and then my library. The xbox.com website has not yet up been updated to show that section. 

#10401 Melmione   Padawan CAGiversary!   112 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 16 September 2016 - 03:48 AM

Does anyone here have recommendations for a good headset that won't make my eyes bulge when I see the price? I'd like something that I can use for the Xbox One, have stereo audio so I can play without bothering others, and would prefer a detachable mic. Thoughts?

#10402 Renegade Moose   The cake is a lie. CAGiversary!   1063 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Renegade Moose

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:30 PM

Does anyone here have recommendations for a good headset that won't make my eyes bulge when I see the price? I'd like something that I can use for the Xbox One, have stereo audio so I can play without bothering others, and would prefer a detachable mic. Thoughts?

I've had the official Microsoft one for a few months and have had no issues.

#10403 Melmione   Padawan CAGiversary!   112 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 September 2016 - 04:06 AM

I've had the official Microsoft one for a few months and have had no issues.

That's actually why I'm asking - my Xbox One stereo headset died and I'm looking for a replacement. 

#10404 Renegade Moose   The cake is a lie. CAGiversary!   1063 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Renegade Moose

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:30 PM

That's actually why I'm asking - my Xbox One stereo headset died and I'm looking for a replacement.

Well... Hopefully I have more than a few months left... ;-)

#10405 Navex   The Media Jerk CAGiversary!   1185 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:14 PM

Does anyone have recommendations on a top quality HDD for the Xbox One? I was under the assumption the Scorpio was coming out in the next few months but that's 2017 apparently. I'm in need of a new HDD as my current Xbox is filled with stuff and I can't keep deleting and reinstalling stuff anymore with the backlog I have accumulated and with what I need to keep on it. I was thinking of just getting an S in the meantime but I see I just missed the trade-in console deals Gamestop had for it so I'd rather just get a bigger HDD at this point unless anyone here knows of a place that will be offering another trade-in deal involving the S that will happen within the next month or two.

I don't think I'll need 1TB but just gonna say I'll go for that size anyway just in case. I'm not in desperate need of the space at the moment so if you think there's a chance a retailer will bring back another "trade in your One for an S" within the next couple months like I said I can wait for one of those and get a new console with a bigger HDD at the same time. If not not concerned about getting something cheap, just want something solid and dependable that will work great with the One.

#10406 Spybreak9   $exy Game Scholar CAGiversary!   9435 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 23 September 2016 - 03:40 PM

Yeah I'd say everyone would tell you the WD 4TB external is what they have, me included.

#10407 victimsofadown   Lurker CAGiversary!   673 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

victimsofadown

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:49 AM

Does anyone have recommendations on a top quality HDD for the Xbox One? I was under the assumption the Scorpio was coming out in the next few months but that's 2017 apparently. I'm in need of a new HDD as my current Xbox is filled with stuff and I can't keep deleting and reinstalling stuff anymore with the backlog I have accumulated and with what I need to keep on it. I was thinking of just getting an S in the meantime but I see I just missed the trade-in console deals Gamestop had for it so I'd rather just get a bigger HDD at this point unless anyone here knows of a place that will be offering another trade-in deal involving the S that will happen within the next month or two.

I don't think I'll need 1TB but just gonna say I'll go for that size anyway just in case. I'm not in desperate need of the space at the moment so if you think there's a chance a retailer will bring back another "trade in your One for an S" within the next couple months like I said I can wait for one of those and get a new console with a bigger HDD at the same time. If not not concerned about getting something cheap, just want something solid and dependable that will work great with the One.

I would agree with the above poster's recommendation, but I would also point out that I think the better route is to get the least expensive Xbone (500?) and then get an external (or just use the external you have already purchased).  Buying a console with a larger harddrive is just wasted money IMHO.  The resale value doesn't dramatically change, and if it breaks (or when you get the Scorpio) then your money is gone.

Getting an external harddrive means just that - you have an external harddrive.  You can bring it with you, or completely re purpose it for something else.  Comparing the cost ($100 more for 1.5TB vs $115 more for 4TB that you can use for other applications) is a no brainer.

#10408 Navex   The Media Jerk CAGiversary!   1185 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:51 AM

Yeah I'd say everyone would tell you the WD 4TB external is what they have, me included.

I would agree with the above poster's recommendation, but I would also point out that I think the better route is to get the least expensive Xbone (500?) and then get an external (or just use the external you have already purchased).  Buying a console with a larger harddrive is just wasted money IMHO.  The resale value doesn't dramatically change, and if it breaks (or when you get the Scorpio) then your money is gone.

Getting an external harddrive means just that - you have an external harddrive.  You can bring it with you, or completely re purpose it for something else.  Comparing the cost ($100 more for 1.5TB vs $115 more for 4TB that you can use for other applications) is a no brainer.

Thanks for the input, both of you.

I agree with you on the external/new console, an external was always my first choice. I just thought on the offchance I can find a good trade in deal (like Gamestop was doing a few weeks ago that I missed) I would just pay the extra 40-50 and get a newer console. With what you would pay after the trade I think it was like 100 bucks leftover so comparing it to the price of a good external HDD 40-50  difference seems to be in that ballpark.

#10409 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49877 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:18 PM

4TB WD My Book is what I've been using on my XB1 for almost two years, works great, fast drive.

I also have a 500GB SSD in an external enclosure on my XB1 for games I play regularly as well as games that seem to benefit from a SSD (Halo MCC, TWD, DA: I, from what I've seen), though I wouldn't recommend someone spend $500+ to get a 2TB SSD + enclosure on their XB1. 

I did get a 2TB XB1S from the current Target deal, mainly since I didn't want the Madden 1TB model nor the 500GB MCC + H5 model.  Only reason to get a larger internal HDD on an XB1/XB1S is for resale value.  GS won't care about the system's internal HDD size on trade-in, nor Best Buy, so only worry about internal HDD size if you're worried about later resale value. 

#10410 Theswweet   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   128 Posts   Joined 7.6 Years Ago  

Theswweet

Posted 01 October 2016 - 06:08 AM

Getting a MCC + Halo 5 Xbone S bundle tomorrow, since I got a GameStop $50 off coupon. Gonna grab Forza Horizon 3 for my free game.

Anything else I should think about picking up?