Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Guess they're actually doing a World's Finest movie this time. I know they tried to do one about 7 years ago(& put a teaser in I Am Legend). But after the reception that Superman Returns got, that got put on hold. I guess MoS got a good enough reception that they're actually going through with it this time.

Didn't Christian Bale say he was done playing Batman?
Yep. But if you watched The Dark Knight Rises, it kinda hints that someone else takes over the Batman role.

As I have been saying it for years....as soon as the first Iron Man became a hit, WB should have gotten the ball rolling with a JL movie introducing us to key members first, then go toe to toe with marvel in 2012 with a JL movie.  But no one has the balls to do this.   I would see both but would most likely enjoyed a JL movie then an avengers movie.

[quote name="tangytangerine" post="10924424" timestamp="1374398059"]
Guess they're actually doing a World's Finest movie this time. I know they tried to do one about 7 years ago(& put a teaser in I Am Legend). But after the reception that Superman Returns got, that got put on hold. I guess MoS got a good enough reception that they're actually going through with it this time.

Yep. But if you watched The Dark Knight Rises, it kinda hints that someone else takes over the Batman role.[/quote]
Actually, Bruce Wayne is still alive if you watched after the credits ended.

Edit: it was before credits, thanks Sgand :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Wayne is still alive, but they left it that he was no longer Batman.  As he said anyone can be Batman.  They left it that the cop might become Batman or hell they could have him as Nightwing later one.

As I have been saying it for years....as soon as the first Iron Man became a hit, WB should have gotten the ball rolling with a JL movie introducing us to key members first, then go toe to toe with marvel in 2012 with a JL movie. But no one has the balls to do this. I would see both but would most likely enjoyed a JL movie then an avengers movie.
We can still get a JL movie without every member getting their own movie, I wouldn't mind.

I don't think the batman in the movie will be connected to the Nolan trilogy.

I'm not a huge comic book fan by any means, more casual, but I do follow characters in certain mediums. Here's my question for those that are comic book fans. What is the point of having Batman in the same movie/universe as Superman? Superman has unlimited strength, flies, laser eyes etc...and Batman is a mere human. What does he bring to the table for Superman?

I think you are 100% correct, moon_knight. Nolan went out of his way to make his Batman movies, let's say, believable. They exist in their own, little world, where Batman is the only real "superhero." This new Batman will almost defintely not be the Nolan Batman, and he will probably be a little less realistic, so he fits in with the over-the-top world where two demi-gods nearly destroyed an entire city beating the shit out of each other.

The fact that Snyder had Harry Lennix read the famous quote from Dark Knight Returns, where Bruce is gloating over knocking Clark around, makes me think they wanna take the usual approach of having Superman and Batman initially be odds over their crime fighting methods, only to eventually become allies.

I'm sorry, but I never really liked Christian Bale as Batman that much, too much growl, not enough emotion.  Joseph Gordon-Levitt, on the other hand, is a fucking fantastic actor, and would be amazing as anything they get him to play.

As I have been saying it for years....as soon as the first Iron Man became a hit, WB should have gotten the ball rolling with a JL movie introducing us to key members first, then go toe to toe with marvel in 2012 with a JL movie. But no one has the balls to do this. I would see both but would most likely enjoyed a JL movie then an avengers movie.
They tried, why do you think we got a Green Lantern movie? The problem is that they didn't have nearly as clear of a direction as Marvel did. They took the approach of throwing stuff at the walls until they could get something to stick.

The problem is that after Superman and Batman, the rest of the Justice League is boring as hell. Anyone actually want a Martian Manhunter or Aquaman movie?

The problem is that after Superman and Batman, the rest of the Justice League is boring as hell. Anyone actually want a Martian Manhunter or Aquaman movie?
I'd love a Cyborg movie. I'd also watch the crap out of Hawkman, The Atom and The Flash.

Also, Zan and Jana... and I'm only 1/2 joking. They would have to reinvent Zan's powers for that though.

I guess thats why only Flash is getting his own movie in between Superman/Batman and Justice League.

I'm sorry, but I never really liked Christian Bale as Batman that much, too much growl, not enough emotion. Joseph Gordon-Levitt, on the other hand, is a fucking fantastic actor, and would be amazing as anything they get him to play.

I read some place that not all of that was Bale. Some of the change in the voice was done in post production. I can see changing his voice however to have him do it and then do it again in post production is too much.

I am beyond excited for this, I remember after watching MoS thinking how incredibly stupid WB would be if they don't introduce Batman in the sequel, rather waiting for his own solo reboot.

God, I hope Bale stays far away from it. And as much as I like JGL I hope he isn't involved either, this thing needs to be as far separated from Nolan's movies as it can be. Give us a young, pissed off (but not overly grim) Batman in a pre-Robin (as much as I'd like him in a new movie) point of his career who is wary of a God-like being showing up suddenly.

Hell, I'd love it if they have Lex Luthor rise as a public figure who speaks out against the 'alien' and tries to rally support for his own secret agenda after that disaster in Metropolis, maybe even running for president with help (and funding) from a slightly naive (or paranoid about alien super beings, whichever works best) Bruce Wayne. Considering the supposed title of this movie (Superman vs Batman, Batman vs Superman) it's obvious that the two heroes are gonna clash at least for a short while.

So supposedly the links to The Dark Knight Returns goes even deeper than one line reading at SDCC - Zack Snyder has supposedly met with Frank Miller recently, and reportedly WB is eyeing older actors for the role - rumor has it that Josh Brolin is their frontrunner right now, which is surprising because wasn't he in the Jonah Hex movie? 

Not sure how I feel about this - on one hand it would be nice to have a Batman with an already established crimefighting career once we get to his solo movies, possibly with an at least partially-built bat family involved (I'm thinking along the lines of Nightwing being active, probably with Tim as Robin as well as Oracle being around or - possibly - Huntress) so that would be nice, if only to skip the origin(s) this time around.

That's assuming, of course, that they even give Batman his own franchise again instead of using him as DC/WB's answer to Nick Fury. Man, wouldn't that be a nightmare? Having him pop up in the Flash and Wonder Woman movies just because WB isn't confident in their ability to sell tickets.  

Kind of crazy they're skipping ahead that far since Nolan's Batman only existed in-universe for less than a year.

In all honesty, I really, really hope they don't TDKR. Cavill's Superman is too new to pull this off so soon. Though that may just be my general dislike of the story overall.

Kind of crazy they're skipping ahead that far since Nolan's Batman only existed in-universe for less than a year.

In all honesty, I really, really hope they don't TDKR. Cavill's Superman is too new to pull this off so soon. Though that may just be my general dislike of the story overall.
Huh? The Nolan movies span quite a few years, Dark Knight Rises alone takes place over the span of almost 6 months or so.

But Batman himself only appears for less than a year. A few weeks in Begins, 6 months between Begins and Dark Knight, and then for a week or so combined in Rises.

Wait I thought when the Joker crashes the Mob's meeting he says something like "a Year ago...."  Batman has been active I say for a year plus 2 to 6 months tops.

Hmm, I thought I read a 6 months subtitle during the movie, though it has been many years since I have seen the movie.

That is still an incredibly short time, though. If they are going to make TDKR work (and not make it a rehash of Rises) it would have to be Blake!Batman against Superman, not Wayne!Batman.

This is a totally different Batman, though. This is not going to be the Nolan-verse version of Batman.

Also, I think people are looking too much into the whole TDKR's thing. This is not going to be TDKR. It's probably going to open the same way many of the initial Superman/Batman team-ups. They don't initially trust each other. They have different crime fighting methods, and they seem to not mesh well. There will be tension and potentially a punch or two thrown. In the end, they will find they respect each other for what the other is.

Mixed feelings about this.  I liked Man of Steel a lot though, so I'll be cautiously optimistic. Would have preferred just another Superman movie first though.

Batman in anything will be tough since the Nolan Batman's are far and away my favorite comic/superhero movies.  Will be tough for anything to live up to them.

People will have to realize that this Batman is different from previous Batmans (Batmen?) and will require common sense with Batman's origins so we don't have to see his parents getting murdered and the rest of the origin all over again. As long as it doesn't stumbled on the clear cliches and pitfalls used in The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel, it should be moderately enjoyable. Nowhere near Avengers level or entertainment, but still a good lead up to Justice League.

I kinda hope we see at Batman/Bruce Wayne similar to Scott Snyder's current Batman. As cool as Frank Miller's TDKR Batman is, I think it would be too much for this film. Here is to hoping it is good!

I like Bale, but if he doesn't want to do another one, I think it would be really cool to have a cameo scene with Bale as the new Batman's mentor continuing the idea that anyone can be Batman.

I like Bale, but if he doesn't want to do another one, I think it would be really cool to have a cameo scene with Bale as the new Batman's mentor continuing the idea that anyone can be Batman.
I would be seriously bummed if that's what they went with. I'd have to skip the movie entirely.

I've always liked the idea that no one but Bruce Wayne can be Batman, because no one else is simply willing to give up all semblence of a normal life to fight for the cause and become a legend to be feared. Even in Batman Beyond I liked that, while Terry was okay in his own right as a vigilante, he was nowhere near as effective even with all of that technology at his disposal because he couldn't sacrifice his life as Terry to truly become the bat.

I don't think the anyone can be Batman from TDKR was meant to taken too literally. It was more so that people could follow his lead and do good.

That's what is in the "unofficial" book that was written about Bale and Batman recently. So, I dunno if I would buy into any of it (the 50 million or the 20 minutes) since it comes from an unofficial source. 

If he does it, they need to cut some freaking holes in the mask for his nostrils so he doesn't sound like he has the flu everytime he talks and breathes.

tumblr_m6gx3n9YzO1ryj6qoo1_500.gif

To clear up any confusion this isn't supposed to indicate I'm happy with this announcement

Affleck's made a lot of progress since his early days and is actually a very well respected actor/director now. Still, I would have preferred someone else as Batman but have no doubt he can still pull off a decent Bruce.

If it's even close to true, WB clearly doesn't get it.
I'm skeptical it's true, but I can't agree more on the latter. I think Bale should use some of that merchandising money he made to put up billboards in bright orange letters that say "I DON'T WANT TO fuck ING PLAY BATMAN ANYMORE. HOW IS THAT SO HARD TO GRASP?"

Edit: I'll keep an open mind on Affleck. People shat all over Heath Ledger as Joker and RDJ as Iron Man and then were revisionists when it turned out they were great. Affleck certainly doesn't look like Batman, but that's the whole point of the Batman/ Bruce Wayne dynamic. I'm more skeptical about WB getting him in multiple film deals as needed. Oh and Zach Snyder, of course.

Final Edit: People also REALLY hated Daniel Craig as James Bond when it was first announced.

Ben Affleck is a good actor. I'm sure he'll be a good Batman.

You're all just hating. Go ahead, get it out of your systems.

Everyone hated when Heath Ledger was announced as The Joker and that seemed to work out okay.

bread's done
Back