Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice

I seem to recall Affleck whining every chance he got about how uncomfortable his Daredevil costume was. Does he really think a batsuit will be any better?

I'm hoping the guy has matured quite a bit since then, so I'll try to keep an open mind, but honestly I can't picture him playing Batman (let alone Bruce Wayne) at all.

I wonder what Kevin Smith will say about this?

Ive seen some pretty shitty movies, so Im willing to roll the dice.  Like people have said elsewhere, this almost has to put him back in Justice League director's chair.

Welp, just re-realized that they semi offered JL to Snyder too, but I cant believe that this is just a straight 2-4 picture role for Affleck....

Last edited by a moderator:
People doubted heath ledger as joker.

People even doubted michael keaton as batman.

Now Ben Affleck as Batman NEVER crossed my mind.

But honestly? I think hell do fine or even great as Batman. Its not that bad of a choice..

Yea cant argue that...

Zack is... Ehhhhhhh mehhhhhhhh.
That's being far too kind. He absolutely ruined Man of Steel.

"Hey Zack, we ready to shoot this calm, emotional dialogue between Clark and his mom?"

"Is that what we're on? Ok, let's bring out the handheld camera and put the cameraman on this mechanical bull to film this one."

"But we already did that for the five previous dialogue scenes"

"AND WE'LL DO IT FOR EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! NOW GO CUT SOME MORE SUBSTANCE OUT OF AMY ADAMS' SCRIPT!"

That's being far too kind. He absolutely ruined Man of Steel.

"Hey Zack, we ready to shoot this calm, emotional dialogue between Clark and his mom?"

"Is that what we're on? Ok, let's bring out the handheld camera and put the cameraman on this mechanical bull to film this one."

"But we already did that for the five previous dialogue scenes"

"AND WE'LL DO IT FOR EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM! NOW GO CUT SOME MORE SUBSTANCE OUT OF AMY ADAMS' SCRIPT!"
Whoa. Not a fan of Man of Steel, I see.

Personally I thought it was an okay starting point for the character and the DC Cinematic Universe as a whole. I'm giving everyone involved a ton of slack though - everything hinges on this Superman/Batman movie, in my eyes at least. It'll prove once and for all if Zack/Goyer were truly building up to Supes becoming the big blue boyscout we all know and love or are simply taking the character and doing their own thing regardless of what anyone else wants.

If that's the case then I'll simply have to view the movies as Elseworlds tales rather than big-screen representations of the iconic comic book characters as we know them.

I don't get the problem with Affleck and batman the the Batman/Superman movie. He's no Chris Nolan but he's a great director: Gone Baby Gone, The Town, Argo. Hmm...hold on a sec *reads news* WHAT%@&*&%)&??? This is an OUTRAGE&*#$% Affleck as batman is the worst superhero casting since...Affleck as Daredevil! Edward Furlong as the Crow! Heath Ledger as the Joker! *cough*

The best thing about this casting is all the butt hurt reaction im seeing all over the internet and social media! Its so damn hilarious!

I will judge when I see the film, like I have the rest.  I think he would be better for a younger Batman/Wayne.  I all depends on the script for the movie and besides if he fucks it up Kevin Smith will have a lot to say on his tours that he does.

If there was no Reindeer games and this was a more amicable world, Kevin Smith would've written a Batman/Superman movie I would be fine with Ben Affleck as the Caped Crusader and really happy that Matt Damon is the Man of Steel.

Instead we got a cynical Superman movie that oozed with edginess thanks to the supremely genius work of Zack Synder. Affleck will definitely make a good addition to the franchise.

I know Affleck has become respected behind the camera, but hadnt heard anything about his acting having gotten better.

If people say he has, Ill hold onto some hope. But he has a worse record than Ledger did, and he isnt having to play a character that tests his acting chops like Ledger did transforming into the Joker.

What's next? Taking the Human Torch and casting him as Captain America?
Very good - funny! How about casting Mr. Mom as Batman?

I have mixed feelings. Obviously, he's a fan of the comic books, and probably knows the history of the character better than any other A list actor (Cage is a fan of comics too). So, that's a plus.

How much acting will there really be anyway -- if this movie is anything like The Man of Steel, it will be filled with an hour and a half (at least) of things blowing up and fight scenes.

Affleck is 6'4" and definitely has the chin for Bruce Wayne, Batman. He'll need to hit the gym, but I'm confident he can pull off Bruce Wayne, we'll have to see how the script and suit look before passing judgement on him as Batman.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj7BLLcFEpY

Every one was shocked about Michael Keaton and personally, I think he was the best Batman, so maybe we'll be surprised.

Every one was shocked about Michael Keaton and personally, I think he was the best Batman, so maybe we'll be surprised.
I liked his Batman, it was his Bruce Wayne that bothered me. I feel Bale played up the "billionaire playboy" role up well and the distinction between his Wayne in the spotlight, Wayne with personal friends, and Batman was better than anyone else.

It was that damn voice though...

As others have already touched upon, at the time that Keaton was announced for Batman '89, people that it was an absolutely absurd choice. I don't think Affleck is a very good choice, but I will wait and see. Still going to see the movie no matter what.

Meh, none of the Bruces were as good, IMO, as B:TAS' Bruce Wayne. He was personable, friendly, sarcastic, and a believeable human being. After TNBA, this didn't happen again until The Batman

Affleck is a safe choice for WB. A god awful choice for fans. Affleck is an awesome director I think, but his acting is right at about average. IMO his range is fairly limited making him a terrible choice for Batman/Bruce Wayne. They may make it work depending on the script, but I think it's a wasted oppertunity to really use an actor that fit the role a lot better. This role should have easily gone to either Anson Mount or Jensen Ackles...

Affleck is a safe choice for WB. A god awful choice for fans. Affleck is an awesome director I think, but his acting is right at about average. IMO his range is fairly limited making him a terrible choice for Batman/Bruce Wayne. They may make it work depending on the script, but I think it's a wasted oppertunity to really use an actor that fit the role a lot better. This role should have easily gone to either Anson Mount or Jensen Ackles...
Yes, a D or C list actor would have been much better.

Anson Mount was a name that has been popping in my mind after seeing the first two seasons of Hell on Wheels. I think he would have been a great choice (but he might be under contract with AMC for Hell on Wheels currently).

After all, Henry Cavill wasn't exactly an elite property before becoming supes. It could have worked, but WB just wanted to be safe. I doubt it will pan out, but you can't blame them for being safe.

Yes, a D or C list actor would have been much better.
The fact is that very few top-notch "A-List" actors would freshly step into a superhero role after they've become really famous. Also simply being famous or A-List doesn't make you a good actor and it certainly doesn't mean you're a good choice for a major role. By your standards, we could just throw Justin Timberlake or Robert Pattinson in there.

Plus I don't think I'd call Affleck an "A-List" actor. Guess how many "A-List" large, nationwide released films Affleck has starred in in the last 3 years in which he did not direct? Zero. Chrisitan Bale maybe had 2 or 3 top-billed, starring roles I can think of before being cast as Batman and he was like 12 years old for one of those.

There's also the fact that Anson Mount has starred in a critically accalaimed (mostly) TV show for the past 3 years. Jensen Ackles has starred in a primetime TV show for the past 9 years (yes, it is on the CW so not many really watch it), and he has also voiced the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in the DC's/Wb's animated feaures before. He's not A-List, but I think he's far from a D-List nobody.

Anson Mount was a name that has been popping in my mind after seeing the first two seasons of Hell on Wheels. I think he would have been a great choice (but he might be under contract with AMC for Hell on Wheels currently).

After all, Henry Cavill wasn't exactly an elite property before becoming supes. It could have worked, but WB just wanted to be safe. I doubt it will pan out, but you can't blame them for being safe.
As much as I do like Hell on Wheels, I unfortunately do not see it making it past this season. It was lucky to get renewed for a 3rd and now they have thrown it to the Saturday death time-slot. Then again AMC will need to replace the Breaking Bad time-slot with something.

I think the Batman role is a little more accepted by Hollywood thanks in large part to Nolan/Bale's work. I don't think you'll ever get a big name star to take a Superman role. I think the Hollywood mainstream still sees the role as cursed. But I don't mind Henry Cavill in it. Man of Steel wasn't the best movie I saw this summer, but i think Cavill did pretty well in the role given what it was. Like you said though, I can't really blame them for wanting to play it safe. Man of Steel made bank at the box office (though it also had a huge budget too), so WB most likely thought going to somebody more off-book to play Batman in the next parts of the DC franchise would be tampring with a good thing.

The fact is that very few top-notch "A-List" actors would freshly step into a superhero role after they've become really famous. Also simply being famous or A-List doesn't make you a good actor and it certainly doesn't mean you're a good choice for a major role. By your standards, we could just throw Justin Timberlake or Robert Pattinson in there.

Plus I don't think I'd call Affleck an "A-List" actor. Guess how many "A-List" large, nationwide released films Affleck has starred in in the last 3 years in which he did not direct? Zero. Chrisitan Bale maybe had 2 or 3 top-billed, starring roles I can think of before being cast as Batman and he was like 12 years old for one of those.

There's also the fact that Anson Mount has starred in a critically accalaimed (mostly) TV show for the past 3 years. Jensen Ackles has starred in a primetime TV show for the past 9 years (yes, it is on the CW so not many really watch it), and he has also voiced the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne in the DC's/Wb's animated feaures before. He's not A-List, but I think he's far from a D-List nobody.
So because he wrote and/or directed the good movies he's acted in that means they don't count? He's just more careful about the roles he takes. He swore off superhero movies after Daredevil, and then with the Batman/JL rumors earlier he said he won't act in movies he doesn't direct. Guess he saw something he liked and decided to take the role.

He wants to be in good things, can't really blame him for that. Besides, he's a better actor now than he was in Daredevil, which was 10 years ago. People need to get over that.

He was good in town and who will play as joker

Last edited:
who will play as joker
There's no guarentee Joker will be in the movie. It would probably make the most sense for Rupert Thorne to be the Bat-villain, but if they want a more colorful villain I could see them using Clayface. Could even have Lex be responsible for his creation.

I don't see them using any of the villains from the Nolan saga, except maybe Crane.

I really hope no Joker. He's too overused.

Also hope for no Lex Luthor since he's always in Superman movies, but he'll probably be in Superman/Batman and if not, Justice League.

I really hope no Joker. He's too overused.

Also hope for no Lex Luthor since he's always in Superman movies, but he'll probably be in Superman/Batman and if not, Justice League.
Since they didn't show him in MoS, they almost have to use him in the sequel. I just hope he's more Clancy Brown than Gene Hackman.

I really don't know how I feel about this right now...I just got back from vacation with limited internet and read this yesterday.  Need a few days for it to soak in.

Yeah, I seriously hope that if they use Joker at all it won't be until the third movie in Affleck's inevitable solo Batman trilogy. I've been going through some major Joker fatigue ever since Arkham City - so I'm not exactly thrilled about him being around in Arkham origins to begin with, let alone another movie. 

I would, however, like someone to take another crack at Bane sometime. Joker was played perfectly by two great actors in two movies - Bane's character, however, has been warped to suit the director's 'vision' twice, both times as a simple henchman. Riddler could be good for another go too, if they re-enviison him as a much more twisted (almost Jigsaw-like) mastermind similar to the Arkham City version. Killer Croc is probably off the table because ASM used The Lizard recently, Clayface would take a lot of CGI but I'd love to see him in a movie regardless... but hell, I think Hush is the villain I'd like to see done in a movie the most. 

Staying on topic, though, how likely does it even seem that they'll use a Batman villain in Superman/Batman at all? I hadn't even considered it until Starmask brought up Joker. I'd like to think that it'll still be Superman's show - I don't see any need for Batman to hijiack the movie to that extent. His appearance alone would be enough for me.

That Bryan Cranston news should be taken with a huge grain of salt, as it apparently originates from the Daily Mail. I've yet to see any reputable sites report it simply because there doesn't seem to be a reliable source - hell, comicbookmovie.com hasn't even posted it on the front page and their rep is mostly spotty.

Unless I missed something...

Since this film will be from the MoS team, isn't this still a Superman movie? Batman should be the antagonist of course. The villain they'll inevitably team up against will be ancillary.

That Bryan Cranston news should be taken with a huge grain of salt, as it apparently originates from the Daily Mail. I've yet to see any reputable sites report it simply because there doesn't seem to be a reliable source - hell, comicbookmovie.com hasn't even posted it on the front page and their rep is mostly spotty.

Unless I missed something...
Rolling Stone is reporting it.

I wouldn't mind Luthor as the villain in the Superman/Batman film. A villian I always thought it'd fun to base a solo Batman movie around is Hush, especially if they did a reboot. He's essentially the villian version of Batman and shows what may have been if Bruce Wayne was more sadistic and had assholes for parents.

I wouldn't mind Luthor as the villain in the Superman/Batman film. A villian I always thought it'd fun to base a solo Batman movie around is Hush, especially if they did a reboot. He's essentially the villian version of Batman and shows what may have been if Bruce Wayne was more sadistic and had assholes for parents.
I agree wholeheartedly, Hush has been my favorite Batman villain for a while now. They could easily introduce Elliot as a minor character in the first movie of a reboot and then use him as the primary villain in a second movie.

Hell, I'd introduce Joker's Red Hood persona as a secondary villain in a second movie (or even the first, really), have him distract Batman from his Hush investigation at a critical moment leading to an angry foot chase resulting in his swan dive into the vat of chemicals - setting Joker up for the third movie in the trilogy.

Your general moviegoers don't seem to know that part of Joker's origin, so I could imagine the level of shock they would have after the big reveal... maybe even show the lone Joker card floating to the surface before the chemicals are flushed.

Those are just my ideas. As far as Superman goes, pre-Superman/Batman announcement I was hoping for Lex and Brainiac in MoS 2. Don't know the odds of Brainiac showing up in a movie now that Batman is involved so soon. I'd still like to see Doomsday in the third, though...

It makes you wonder, what if MoS did not get pushed back so many times and came out before TDKR (Like a year before).... Would it have effected Rises story line at all and would we still have Bale as Batman in this upcoming movie?

It makes you wonder, what if MoS did not get pushed back so many times and came out before TDKR (Like a year before).... Would it have effected Rises story line at all and would we still have Bale as Batman in this upcoming movie?
I doubt it would have affected much of either DK Rises story or Bale's decision. Christian Bale really only wanted to do DK Rises unless Nolan and his team did. He was in a contract fir it anyhow, but essentially said the movie would be disappointing without Nolan doing it. So chances of a 4th film with him and not Nolan were quite slim and I think Nolan was def out at 3 max no matter what.

Nolan is also a pretty methodical writer/director as well. Supposedly he had a version DK Rises story outlined before he even really went to work on Inception.

bread's done
Back