Obscure games from this gen?

Asmith906

CAGiversary!
Feedback
33 (100%)
Now that this gen is coming to an end it seems like the perfect time to pick up any obscure games before they become too hard/expensive to find. I don't mind importing. One game I'm looking at getting is EX Troopers since it won't ever be localized.

I'd jump on Deadly Premonition (vanilla or Director's Cut) before the prices get insane.

:360: Culdcept Saga is hard to find.  Still kicking my own ass for not picking up the $20 copy I saw at MicroCenter a few years back.

:ps3: Aquanauts Holiday is fairly easy to find for the JP version, but the English version is super scarce now.  I imagine other English language PS3 imports will get pricey (Siren, etc).

Nothing is really that hard to find except for handful of NIS games. Yakuza 4 sealed is getting pretty pricey.
Some Wii games (including first party titles!) are becoming fairly scarce.

Speaking of Wii, I've played my fair share of obscure games for that system-- Opoona and Shiren the Wanderer immediately came to mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd jump on Deadly Premonition (vanilla or Director's Cut) before the prices get insane.

:360: Culdcept Saga is hard to find. Still kicking my own ass for not picking up the $20 copy I saw at MicroCenter a few years back.

:ps3: Aquanauts Holiday is fairly easy to find for the JP version, but the English version is super scarce now. I imagine other English language PS3 imports will get pricey (Siren, etc).
I've been meaning to get Culdcept Saga and Siren for a while. Also is that Aquanauts game any good

I've been meaning to get Culdcept Saga and Siren for a while. Also is that Aquanauts game any good
It's a great game, especially if you like to poke around and look for secrets. The English translation is pretty wonky but charming at the same time. I cracked up every time I saw the head researcher's headshots since he looks exactly like Elder Lebowski. Greatish graphics, weird esoteric story, good music, etc. Basically Endless Ocean on steroids.

That said, I wouldn't say that it's amazing enough drop $150-200 on the English version. If you can grab it for sub-$100 I'd say go ahead but the current market is nuts.

Some Wii games (including first party titles!) are becoming fairly scarce.

Speaking of Wii, I've played my fair share of obscure games for that system-- Opoona and Shiren the Wanderer immediately came to mind.
Opoona was the first thing that came to my mind as well, pretty cheap now, but it could end up being hard to find later down the road.

My other recommendations for Wii games that may be harder to find down the road at a good price (though not 100% obscure):

A Boy and His Blob - This is currently cheap at GS for only $5, but its already selling pretty well at $15 or more for complete used copies on Amazon / eBay, don't underestimate nostalgia for the original NES title.

Deadly Creatures - The price fluctuates pretty rapidly on this, but complete used copies have seen prices of $25 or more, so eventually it may become harder to find complete at a good price.

Little King's Story - Despite the Vita release, I still think it's a safe bet. There are a selection of other XSEED titles that may eventually fall in the same category (Fragile Dreams, Fishing Resort, and JU-ON: The Grudge are all relatively obscure).

Klonoa - Same mentality with A Boy and His Blob, don't underestimate nostalgia, pretty cheap now at GS if you can find it complete.

Lost in Shadow - By no means very obscure, but worth noting that it was one of the last Hudson Soft releases before they went under. Calling also was one of their last projects and has already become valuable (though I don't expect LiS to become near as sought after, just a comparison).

Trauma Team - The game had piss-poor sales at release, and yet the resale value hasn't tanked as the other two Wii Trauma Center games have, a good recipe for a potential rarity in the future.

Of the first party Nintendo titles (not obscure at all), I would keep my eye open for Punch-Out and either Pikmin NPC releases.

There really arent any NTSC version rare standard edition games for 360 and ps3.  Wii on the other hand has quite a few.  Personally I like just finding games in the wild, and you arent ever gonna realistically find Aquanauts Chinese version at the local gamestop or pawn shop.

If you want to get a rough gauge of rarity, look at the number of copies for sale on amazon at a given time.  If it is under 25, the game is pretty darn rare.  The rarest Wii game under this method is Maximum Racing: Crash Car Racer.  None available on ebay or amazon at the moment.  1 sold in july for 21 bucks.  vgchartz has it at less than 10k units made if you believe them.

Just because a game is obscure doesn't mean it'll be worth anything. A substantial number of obscure games aren't worth crap. Hell, you can go back and find tons of obscure games from the NES/SNES era that still aren't worth more than $10-20, which really aren't good investments after decades of holding on to them (it's another story if you find them for cheap at yard sales/thrift stores obviously). 

There are so many shit games on the Wii and DS this gen that would fall into the obscure category but I'm guessing very few, if any, of those are going to end up being worth anything. The PS3/360 also have their fair share of obscure games that are probably safer bets but no easier to find that gem. 

I think a better bet is to just find games that are holding their value and try to find cheap copies of those. Even then, you'll also be gambling with what happens with reprints and digital release. Reprints (and remakes that get a physical release) kill values. Digital re-releases are harder to predict but don't appear to have the universal value killing impact. 

I don't think the objective of the query was to find rare games to invest in. I think the point is to reveal obscure games that are worth playing, but that not many people know about.

I would say 3D Dot Game Heroes, but that title actually got a decent amount of exposure. I would still strongly advise anyone with a PS3 to pick it up.

The Wii was a fertile platform for under appreciated gems, as the flood of shovel-ware and less informed demographics often buried potential success stories. Muramasa: The Demon Blade is well worth pursuing. It's even better on the Vita, but the Wii version is worth having if you aren't planning on picking up a Vita.

While they don't necessarily count as obscure at this point, the Viva Pinata games for the 360 are also well worth having on your shelf. The first game and the Trouble in Paradise titles are the ones you want to get.

I had heard about Culdcept Saga from some of the podcasts I listened to back in the day, and picked up that title for $12. Following this sort of thing can provide you with shopping advantages.

I don't think the objective of the query was to find rare games to invest in. I think the point is to reveal obscure games that are worth playing, but that not many people know about.

I would say 3D Dot Game Heroes, but that title actually got a decent amount of exposure. I would still strongly advise anyone with a PS3 to pick it up.

The Wii was a fertile platform for under appreciated gems, as the flood of shovel-ware and less informed demographics often buried potential success stories. Muramasa: The Demon Blade is well worth pursuing. It's even better on the Vita, but the Wii version is worth having if you aren't planning on picking up a Vita.

While they don't necessarily count as obscure at this point, the Viva Pinata games for the 360 are also well worth having on your shelf. The first game and the Trouble in Paradise titles are the ones you want to get.

I had heard about Culdcept Saga from some of the podcasts I listened to back in the day, and picked up that title for $12. Following this sort of thing can provide you with shopping advantages.
Yeah I just don't want to run into the problem I ran into with ps2 games that I really want that were stupid cheap at the time but now cost $90 rule of rose.

+1 for :wii: Deadly Creatures.  I've only seen it at GameStop twice, and the first time it was disc only about 3ish years ago.  Got my complete copy a few weeks back with a coupon.  I'm only a few levels in but it's a cool, solid game with a unique narrative structure.  Although you play as the scoprion/tarantula, the actual story is of two treasure hunters who are walking above you at certain points in the game.  I'd grab it for less than $20 if you can.

Thanks for reminding me about :wii: Trauma Team...I remember that being clearanced out at Target for $21 but I held out for a lower price.  It went OOS and I've been kicking my own ass about it ever since.  I'd grab the first two (TC: Second Opinion and TC: New Blood) since I can imagine those getting HTF.

:ps3: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F has "super expensive niche game" written all over it.  Still in stock at Amazon but it's instore only at GameStop and there are only four GS locations within a hundred miles of me that have it stocked (and I live in a metropolitan area with 10 GS per square mile).  I originally wrote it off as a pedo "lol animu" game but, after watching the trailer, it's got a total Bust a Groove vibe going on that made me super nostalgic.  I'd snag that ASAP if you have any interest in it.

I could definitely see :ps3: 3D Dot Game Heroes getting spendy.  It's in my "top 5 PS3 games" list.  So glad I uploaded my save to the cloud...was able to recover after my HDD corrupted (thanks Resistance 3!).

I'm sure I'll be spamming this thread as more suggestions are made and I think of more stuff.

I know it's technically next gen but I'd keep my eye on some of the launch Wii U titles, especially Tank!Tank!Tank! since they switched to F2P and clearanced out all of the remaining physical stock.  I'd also look out for Game&Wario and Sonic Racing Transformed, although the latter isn't really obscure by any means.

Kingsdom of Amalur: Reckoning are getting hard-to-find since the producers discontinued the production of the game.
I keep kicking myself because I always miss it when it goes on sale at the MS store. Though I'm not too bothered by it since I got it on sale on pc recently. I love amazon

:360: Culdcept Saga is hard to find. Still kicking my own ass for not picking up the $20 copy I saw at MicroCenter a few years back.

:ps3: Aquanauts Holiday is fairly easy to find for the JP version, but the English version is super scarce now. I imagine other English language PS3 imports will get pricey (Siren, etc).
I just sold a sealed copy of Culdcept Saga for a pretty good price.

Just picked up Child of Eden for $5. Been looking to get Siren for a while but if worse comes to worse I can always buy it off of PSN. One thing I love about ps3 is that it's region free.

I have a feeling Puppeteer is going to become one of those obscure games that ens up being hard to find/expensive later down the road. It got almost no pre launch press, it was overshadowed by big name games like Killzone Mercenary, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, and Grand Theft Auto V. The real shame is that the game is really good, but by the time people figure that out, it will be MIA and people will have to resort to inflated prices on Ebay or wherever.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong

Cave story 3ds is already up there in price.  Idk how much it retailed for ($30/40?) but Amazon has carts starting at $30 and a complete/new copy will run you $40/60.

The real shame is that the game is really good, but by the time people figure that out, it will be MIA and people will have to resort to inflated prices on Ebay or wherever.
I don't know what the resale value of the title will end up being. But I can confirm from firsthand experience that the game is indeed quite good, and well worth having. (especially for the release price of $40) Above all else, the style of the game is extremely well handled, and incredibly charming. The general aesthetic also makes Puppeteer near-ideal for playing with younger children. There is plenty for them to enjoy, whether they are playing themselves, or just watching you play.

puppeteer seems like the kind of game that will go down in value quickly because it gets lost in all the next gen games.. I expect it to go up in price maybe a few months from now.

I have a feeling Puppeteer is going to become one of those obscure games that ens up being hard to find/expensive later down the road. It got almost no pre launch press, it was overshadowed by big name games like Killzone Mercenary, Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix, and Grand Theft Auto V. The real shame is that the game is really good, but by the time people figure that out, it will be MIA and people will have to resort to inflated prices on Ebay or wherever.

That's just my opinion. I could be wrong
lollerskates, I was coming to post exactly this. I don't know why but it gives me a total Sega Saturn vibe every time I play it.

puppeteer seems like the kind of game that will go down in value quickly because it gets lost in all the next gen games.. I expect it to go up in price maybe a few months from now.
Yeah, in the short term it'll get clearanced/saled to hell and back but a few years from now it'll shoot up. The fact that Sony didn't even bother to list DLC as a feature on the box speaks volumes to me about how much they care about selling it.

Rare games is basically a thing of the past.  There are a handful of DS and Wii stuff but outside of CEs, thats just about it.

Not gonna be rare, but I'll throw some obscure weight behind:

Wii:

The Munchables 

Fragile Dreams

Calling

Ju-ON

DS:

Avalon Code 

Megaman Battle Network 5 (actually rare)

Infinite Space (highly recommend)

Dark Spire

Theresia

PS3:

Trinity Universe

Cross Edge

PSP:

ZHP: Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman (This is a good game)

Dark Spire
I'd forgotten about The Dark Spire! How hard is it to find nowadays? I had a hell of a time getting decently priced (at least for the condition I was after) copies of Avalon Code and Knights in the Nightmare awhile back, and it seems like it's on that same level of obscurity.

I'd forgotten about The Dark Spire! How hard is it to find nowadays? I had a hell of a time getting decently priced (at least for the condition I was after) copies of Avalon Code and Knights in the Nightmare awhile back, and it seems like it's on that same level of obscurity.
The Dark Spire is pretty easy to find for around $20 used or $40 new

Blue Dragon for Xbox 360, don't know if it's on PS3 too. RPG that was made by a former Square employee.
Heh, let me help you out a bit. Xbox 360 exclusive and that Square employee was none other than Hironobu Sakaguchi himself aka the Father of Final Fantasy. ;)

Rare games is basically a thing of the past. There are a handful of DS and Wii stuff but outside of CEs, thats just about it.

Not gonna be rare, but I'll throw some obscure weight behind:

Wii:

Fragile Dreams

DS:

Infinite Space (highly recommend)

PS3:

Trinity Universe

Cross Edge
Thanks for Fragile Dreams, couldn't remember the name of it off hand, even though I've had it for years. But that's one I'd say will be a hidden gem on the system and I don't think Xseed made too many. Opoona too, being highly regarded, but not many people know of it.

Will recommend Infinite Space as a uncommon game that is pricier than the norm. A cart only version cost me $35 a few weeks ago. Complete copies run around $50+, it's starting to become one of the harder to get game on the DS, and was released in lower than normal quantities (something Platinum got angry with Sega for and which hurt their relationship too)

A complete copy of Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey cost me quite a bit too, so I'd recommend that one as well if you have any interest in that series at all.

Not sure about the PS3 NISA games, but more than likely they are rarer than the norm.

If I went through my collection I could recommend tons more, but I won't, for now anyway.

Endless Ocean - Played both games and I loved them. So peaceful and relaxing. We need more games like this.

Nier - This and Walking Dead were the only two games to hit me hard on an emotional level. That final ending got me right in the feels.

Deadly Premonition - Simply one of the greatest games this gen. It's so out there no other game can be compared to it. A gorgeous disaster of a game.

Tenchu Z - Controls and graphics are PS2 quality but I enjoyed it all the same. I would love From Software to resurrect this franchise properly. Until then it's the go-to Ninja sim.

If you're looking for current gen stuff that you think will be rare...the only stuff right now that is incredirare from this gen are NBA Elite 11 and Uncharted Fortune Hunters Edition. Elite was cancelled and there are less than 15 copies known to exist. Uncharted was a press exclusive edition with an extremely low print run.

If you're looking for just obscure type stuff that got lost in the shuffle:

Hatsune Miku Project Diva F (ps3)
Zoids Assault (360)
Diamond Trust of London (DS)
Afrika (ps3)
Ivy the Kiwi (wii)
Zack and Wiki (wii)
Hammerin' Hero (psp)
Blue Dragon (360)
Lost in Shadow (wii)
Under Defeat HD (ps3)

Also, Pokemon Battle Revolution (plays just like the Pokemon Stadium games) was overlooked quite a bit when it came out at the beginning of the wii's life.

I wouldn't say Blue Dragon was an obscure game. It got a fair amount of promoting by MS. Also boosting it had some Final Fantasy greats working on the title. There was defiantly hype at the time but it never truly resonated with most gamers. But remember BD even had it's own anime which was brought over here too.

Me personally I loved the game. I can understand why a casual gamer would be tuned off, but I have no idea why a JRPG fan would not like it.

For PS360

Star Wars Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition

Marvel Ultimate Alliance Gold and Platinum Hits/ Special Edition

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

For PS360

Star Wars Force Unleashed: Ultimate Sith Edition

Marvel Ultimate Alliance Gold and Platinum Hits/ Special Edition

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2

Yeah, no. Star Wars and Marvel are the exact opposite of obscure. These games are just in demand and OOP.

Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn for the Wii is what I thought of when I saw this thread.
Fire Emblem is more obscure than some titles. But it has been gaining a faithful following thanks to regular releases on Nintendo's recent platforms. At this point it's visibility is considerably greater than it once was. (due in no small part to its incorporation in the Smash Bros. franchise)

I would consider Radiant Dawn to be of moderate obscurity. It definitely didn't get as much press and exposure as it probably should have, and is not easy to come by at this point. But there are enough fans aware of the series that I don't think it flew completely underneath the radar.

So I saw an auction for game called morph x for the 360. I had never heard of it and apparently people consider it to be the worst game on the system.

So I saw an auction for game called morph x for the 360. I had never heard of it and apparently people consider it to be the worst game on the system.
It's a brilliant game that is just ahead of its time.

I was looking over my collection, and there are very few titles I would really qualify as being "obscure." It's a consequence of the modern gaming media, and the level of coverage and exposure that almost every title tends to get these days. It's also thanks to the internet, and the volumes of information available at a keystroke.

One title that caught my attention was El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron. This one has left the shelves of most major retailers, and was less well known. It didn't have nearly as much marketing as most other titles. At the same time, most gamers who follow the industry were probably aware of it. Still, it has one of the most unique art styles I've seen in years, and is definitely worth getting. Now is a good time as well, since you should be able to find it for $20 or less. (I picked up my copy brand-new from Best Buy for $20) As it had a bit of a more limited print run, it should be a little harder to find in another year or so.

I was going to say Muramasa: The Demon Blade for the Wii, but it's recent re-release on the Vita has probably given it a bit more exposure. Still worth a look, especially if you have a Wii U. The solid up-scaling of Wii games on the Wii U would work really well with Muramasa's exceptional artwork.

Reviving this thread because I was (at least for the moment) right on :wii: Klonoa, used complete copies are going for $30 or more right now (before it hovered around $15-20), but I still see a good supply at local Gamestops for $10.  Obviously the value will fluctuate if people buy to flip, but for collectors you might want to track down a complete copy if you're interested.

Also, despite the somewhat recent reprint, :wii: Dokapon Kingdom is right back up to $50+ in value.

Anything else become rare / valuable with the new consoles being released?

bread's done
Back