Pokemon X and Y

squishface

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have yet to play a pokemon game. I got a lot of friends who do and they keep telling me that I need to pick this one up because it has some of the original pokemon in it and many other reasons. Do I need to start at an earlier version or is the new x and y good to start on? Any advice on if I should go ahead and pre order or wait and try a friends copy (given they will actually stop playing the game long enough for me to try it).

Are the two versions really different or are they just different color boxes and titles? Since I'm new to any pokemon stuff I wouldn't know which one is which.

I have been looking for gaming deals and I did see something that could be decent. Estarland has $5 off anything over 30 that ends on Oct 9 i think ?

Pokemon is serious business. I'm skipping a generation and I know that it will be more difficult to pick up all the stupid changes. I haven't been interested after HeartGold and SoulSilver until now. The GBA games were good but the contests were pointless. SS and HG assume you've played previous games since they are remakes of the sequels of the most popular handheld games ever.

People usually pick Versions based on the exclusive Pokemon in those games. A version has some Pokemon that the other doesn't have in an isolated environment. Research is done before deciding, but any version is fine for someone who does not have a preference.

Players do adjust to all the new features and a guide helps a lot when just starting.

TRU has a better deal if you buy both. It's like $8 off each one (not counting tax).

I don't think it actually really matters where you start out with Pokemon but X and Y could be a decent place to start. I mean, it's as good a place as any generation of the game. The game really doesn't change that much. New location, new Pokemon, new gyms but... it's generally the same formula. I have played every generation except Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and Black/White & Black 2/White 2 and, yeah, if I hadn't started with Pokemon Yellow because of the special edition yellow Pokemon GBC and the TV show I probably wouldn't be into it now. But if you're really serious about giving it a shot, you could definitely start with this generation. Or, if you want to save like... ten bucks you could pick up a copy of Pokemon Black. Also, except for a few types of Pokemon, sometimes some character situations, and the legendary Pokemon the games are usually pretty similar.

Of course, I don't know if any of that changed back with the Black/White generation since I skipped it. Things could be different now.

Does there seem to be any concensus on which one is better to buy , X or Y? (I remember with Black and White one had more towns or something.)

cool thanks

I was reading one of the other threads earlier, and someone mentioned that TRU will be having some type of game sale coming up?

Are pokemon games usually included in these type of sales. I've heard they are like mario titles and rarely drop in price.

cool thanks

I was reading one of the other threads earlier, and someone mentioned that TRU will be having some type of game sale coming up?

Are pokemon games usually included in these type of sales. I've heard they are like mario titles and rarely drop in price.
Black & White 2 went on sale at BBY for what $10-$15?!?!?! earlier this year, it is rare but TRU will have a b1g1 40% off which isn't bad or you can just wait for one of Targets b2g1 sale.

just my 2 cents.

I played the first 2 generations when I was a kid (owned all 6 games but barely played Silver).  I got all 151 Pokemon in Blue (used gameshark for Mew but eveyone else got legit).  I barely played gen3 (got only a few badges).  All the changes to the mechanics and new features was a bit much for me. 

If you're even a bit ocd with playing games, don't read up on anything until you at least have beaten the main game.  I'm assuming X/Y should have enough tutorial prompts that beating the game with minimal catching/training should be fine.  Not sure how the puzzles have evolved though; I'm surprised I got through Victory Road in gen1 on my own while I know others had trouble.  Oh and reaching Articuno!

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I love the series, I'd say just jump straight into this one without playing previous entries.  If you end up loving X/Y, then I'd suggest trying HeartGold/SoulSilver or Black2/White2.

There's not a major difference between the two, just different items/monsters to obtain.

The eStarland deal you posted is pretty good.  The Toys 'R Us deal is great if you want both though:

Buy one get one 40% off.

PLUS:  Reserve X or Y and receive a $10 coupon for each title.

From my reserve ticket:

At time of pickup, Guest will receive one coupon for $10 off regular-priced video game purchase of $39.99 or more, per reserved title. Limit (5) coupons per guest. Coupon expires 2/1/14.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Thanks man I'm canceling my Walmart preorder and I preordered it at TRU. It's weird I just now found out about the deal you got today... I had been hunting for deals for the game for weeks and all I saw was the B1G1 40% off thing. 

Now that the game is out. Wonder if there is a way to see what are the different types of Pokemon like what the difference between x and y .

bread's done
Back