* * * * * 20 votes

Humble Bundle Thread

Humble Bundle Humble bundle steam indie bundle pc mac linux drm-free

#32701 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1584 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:01 PM

It must be a theme week.

Humble Software Bundle: Professional Photography

EDIT: I guess that came out 2 weeks ago.  I have not been paying attention.

#32702 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9043 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:01 PM

It's called the licenses for these ebooks are extremely cheap so lets sell them for higher than they should go bundle. That's a huge pass. The Python bundle was an easy buy though. Always like to get these cheap and improve my programming skills with them. 

#32703 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10478 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:08 PM

Great bundle or greatest bundle?!?!

#32704 M3wThr33   Batman with a gun. CAGiversary!   1773 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:30 PM

Man, I don't know what's worse.

More of the same bundle of python books or the fact that their website makes it nearly impossible to see what the new bundles are anymore.

#32705 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5427 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:33 PM

Man, I don't know what's worse.

More of the same bundle of python books or the fact that their website makes it nearly impossible to see what the new bundles are anymore.

Probably this. 

But, hey, at least it's not another MAKE! bundle. 

#32706 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4403 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:50 PM

Probably this.

But, hey, at least it's not another MAKE! bundle.

Where are the "I did the nasty with a androgynous marmoset" slash-fic book bundles that they love... Aren't they about due for one?

#32707 dorath   Banned CAGiversary!   226 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:00 PM

The button up top that says bundles and the countdown timer makes it difficult to know what's new?
I didn't see this in yellow

#32708 jdawgg76   RIP Stan the Man CAGiversary!   4845 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:04 PM

For cameras that are 5-10 years old. I don't know who they're targeting.

And yet my T2i isn't included.  The $1 tier is odd, but could correlate with the higher bundles if one owned one of those.  Not sure the higher bundles are worth it though.

It must be a theme week.

Humble Software Bundle: Professional Photography

EDIT: I guess that came out 2 weeks ago.  I have not been paying attention.

I'm actually curious about this one.  I haven't been into photo editing for a couple decades, but Corel used to be one of the better brands for it.  My daughter is interested in doing digital art with her new wacom and photo editing.  Is this a good bundle?  Doesn't have to be the best, but a good starting point at least.  Considering the $15 tier.

It's called the licenses for these ebooks are extremely cheap so lets sell them for higher than they should go bundle. That's a huge pass. The Python bundle was an easy buy though. Always like to get these cheap and improve my programming skills with them. 

I'm thinking of looking into Python so the $1 tier is easy for me too.  Any opinions on the higher bundles?  Would they be useful sooner or are they more advanced?

#32709 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4174 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:18 PM

So as someone whose main experience with photography is pointing his phone at his cat and making shutter noises with his mouth, can I assume from the reactions in this thread that this book bundle isn’t worth getting for a relative who’s actually into cameras?

#32710 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1682 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:23 PM

I'm thinking of looking into Python so the $1 tier is easy for me too.  Any opinions on the higher bundles?  Would they be useful sooner or are they more advanced?

Honestly I think this python bundle is trash unless you are specifically interested in those specific areas it covers. All of their previous programming (let alone python specific) bundles have been much more oriented to the beginner. This includes only 1 or 2 that would actually be useful to a beginner where as usually at least an entire tier would be useful.

IMHO Id just wait for the next programming/python/diy bundle, probably have a selection of the better books

#32711 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9043 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

I'm not 100% sure of all the quality of the books, but Python for the cookbook (this may be useful early) and data structure and algorithms would likely be good starts. Later one can learn some cool things like networking, machine learning and automation, which are a bit more on the complex side. I just buy programming books so I'm not sure of the usefulness of these. I pretty much only know ones I've used a bunch like O'Reilly ones. I usually highly recommend those though for being generally informative and easier to use.

For Python I learned from an earlier version of Learn Python The Hard Way. It helped me a lot probably more than any other Python book, but that's just personal experience.

#32712 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14351 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:00 PM

The only good Python books are ones dealing with machine learning, since that's where the industry is heading. It's actually not a bad bundle, but there have been multiple Python bundles over the past year that have similar content. And honestly, I think a majority of people lack the focus to learn through books these days. I think it's easier to learn through MOOCs where there's more interaction and stronger motivation; unless you're quizzing yourself, creating the deadlines yourself, and coming up with examples yourself, you'll do better with MOOCs.

Coursera, edx, and Udemy all have auditable, free Python 3 MOOCs, with Coursera and edx specifically giving the option to pay for accredited certifications from universities. You can even use a college/university email to sign up for three months of Pluralsight, and their content is top notch.

Plenty of other ways to learn Python.

#32713 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3136 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:05 PM

I'm actually curious about this one.  I haven't been into photo editing for a couple decades, but Corel used to be one of the better brands for it.  My daughter is interested in doing digital art with her new wacom and photo editing.  Is this a good bundle?  Doesn't have to be the best, but a good starting point at least.  Considering the $15 tier.

What can it do that the free GIMP cannot?

#32714 sasquatc4   CAG in Limbo CAGiversary!   1682 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:17 PM

Coursera, edx, and Udemy all have auditable, free Python 3 MOOCs, with Coursera and edx specifically giving the option to pay for accredited certifications from universities. You can even use a college/university email to sign up for three months of Pluralsight, and their content is top notch.

this

Anyway you can just learn online, preferably with a playground that can guide you, you are going to learn a lot more at a quicker pace than trying to copy pasta out of a book.

Basically how I learned go for this job was using the go playground when i needed to test something and just using their api reference docs (though thats easier once you have a programming background to begin with). That and already having a project in mind (a couple discord bots) but thats only really useful if you already know how to program in general so you know what you are looking for when you want to do something, knowing what you dont know and how to search for it is a key concept

#32715 rcsample   You're entering a world of pain! CAGiversary!   4403 Posts   Joined 5.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:51 AM

I'm not so sure. I tried to teach your mom with my python, but she never learns!

#32716 jdawgg76   RIP Stan the Man CAGiversary!   4845 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:28 AM

What can it do that the free GIMP cannot?

Was not aware of GIMP.  Thanks, I'll look into it.

Thanks for all the input CAGs!

#32717 elessar123  

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:46 AM

GIMP is pretty gimp. It can do a lot, but it takes so much longer to do anything in it than with Photoshop.

But it is free, obviously.

#32718 warreni   Eminently punchable CAGiversary!   5427 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2019 - 02:40 PM

Where are the "I did the nasty with a androgynous marmoset" slash-fic book bundles that they love... Aren't they about due for one?

Blade posted about that on the last page. I think he's looking forward to one today. 

The button up top that says bundles and the countdown timer makes it difficult to know what's new?
I didn't see this in yellow

Yes. If you haven't seen the old site, it was much easier to see a list of the current bundles before without all of the ridiculous Groupees-style menus and button-clicking. 

And yet my T2i isn't included.  The $1 tier is odd, but could correlate with the higher bundles if one owned one of those.  Not sure the higher bundles are worth it though.

The problem with this one is that the best application in it has gone to the same software-as-service model that Adobe is now doing, which is the ACDSee app. It's a good all-around replacement for something like Lightroom, but like Lightroom the only version available that is current is a subscription model where the software literally stops working after your sub elapses. I think this would be well worth the $25 if the ACDSee app were not a time-limited program. 

I use CameraBag to add watermarks to photos with relative ease. The $1 tier software is just gimmicky crap no one is really going to seriously use. I've honestly never used a version of PSP, although I do have a fuzzy recollection that it was popular back in the day. At the moment, I'm using a combination of things for photo editing, mostly PhotoShop Elements 2018 and ON1 Camera Raw for some stuff; both of these are standalone applications that you just pay for once, sort of like how all software used to be. 

Hm. Don't know whether those comments helped any, but those are my impressions.

So as someone whose main experience with photography is pointing his phone at his cat and making shutter noises with his mouth, can I assume from the reactions in this thread that this book bundle isn’t worth getting for a relative who’s actually into cameras?

The top tier is mostly filler, but if it's someone who's interested in photographic technique, the $8 tier looks decent. The $1 tier is, of course, mainly for someone who owns one of these specific cameras or is in the market for one. The manuals that actually come with cameras these days aren't that great. I had to buy a $37 book to learn how to use my newish Panasonic camera. Of course, as a kid fresh out of grad school, I quickly absorbed a lot about cameras and photography that I have long since forgotten, but that's the price of getting old. 

#32719 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4719 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:42 PM

Blade posted about that on the last page. I think he's looking forward to one today. 

Yes. If you haven't seen the old site, it was much easier to see a list of the current bundles before without all of the ridiculous Groupees-style menus and button-clicking. 

I'll disagree here. I think the way Humble has their site set up for seeing the bundles works rather well.

It used to be that the main landing page would take you directly to the current main bundle, with tabs for a few other bundles. You'd need to click on each tab to see what it actually was, and how long it had to run. I was used to it, and was quite cross when they switched, but that was only because someone moved my cheese.

Once I got over my annoyance over things changing, the new site works better in terms of quickly getting an overview of bundles. One click from any page brings up a full-page grid of all active bundles, with names and some art to give a sense of what they are, plus a countdown timer on each.

I can't say I like the endless scroll dump of the main Humble landing page, but given that the Steam store does the same thing any complaint on my part would be of the man-yells-at-cloud variety.

#32720 dorath   Banned CAGiversary!   226 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:21 PM

I vaguely recall the old way but I read the other response and now I remember it.
Yeah, I much prefer the new way.
but, is all good....i also dont go to other bundle sites so that might be why I dont have issues with it.

#32721 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1584 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:11 PM

The Humble Comics Bundle: Deadly Class by Image Comics is a good deal - everything published at this point is given in the $15 tier - but I do not understand the point of including both trades and single issues so that you're essentially getting the same story twice in each tier.  Weird.

#32722 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9043 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:15 PM

I like image comics and it sounds cool so easy buy.

#32723 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4719 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:02 PM

The Humble Comics Bundle: Deadly Class by Image Comics is a good deal - everything published at this point is given in the $15 tier - but I do not understand the point of including both trades and single issues so that you're essentially getting the same story twice in each tier.  Weird.

Do the trades tend to include the covers? Also, trades might include some sort of extra art or something.

#32724 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1584 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

Do the trades tend to include the covers? Also, trades might include some sort of extra art or something.

Trades usually include the covers, but not always.

I would have preferred that they just include the trades, as I'll never open the single issues.  The singles do occasionally include exclusive backmatter, but I don't know if that's the case here.

Honestly, I just feel like they included both to make it look like you're getting more than you actually are.

#32725 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4719 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:35 PM

Trades usually include the covers, but not always.

I would have preferred that they just include the trades, as I'll never open the single issues.  The singles do occasionally include exclusive backmatter, but I don't know if that's the case here.

Honestly, I just feel like they included both to make it look like you're getting more than you actually are.

Possibly. But at the same time including both really isn't anything to them. Why not do it and cater to everyone who would favor one format over the other, no matter what that format might be?

#32726 Blade   Imminently Punchable CAGiversary!   14351 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

Get A Story About My Uncle for free by signing up for the Humble newsletter.

#32727 BossKey_Fox   Better Than You CAGiversary!   20647 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:22 AM

Anyone want to share their Humble Monthly discount with me?

Thank you Warreni!

#32728 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10478 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:37 PM

If Rapture Rejects was the most enticing of the unlocks to generate sales then I have no hope for the rest of them.

#32729 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4719 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:09 AM

If Rapture Rejects was the most enticing of the unlocks to generate sales then I have no hope for the rest of them.

Look, guys, I know Mooby complains about everything, but this time he might actually have a good point.

#32730 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   506 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:13 AM

Oh wow, I thought Rapture Rejects was going to be free. Played the Beta and was like "seems like it will make a pretty cute little free to play game, can't complain for free!" Bet this won't be the last "giveaway" for Rapture Rejects.