* * * * * 20 votes

Humble Bundle Thread

Humble Bundle Humble bundle steam indie bundle pc mac linux drm-free

#33301 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4355 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:00 PM

Back when Adventure Games were just crap instead of crappy visual novels!

Fixed that for you.

#33302 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10612 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:20 PM

Fixed that for you.

Dubya Tee Efff?  (Real) Adventure Games aren't my thing anymore but I dunno how you can say games like the old Sam & Max series (pre Telltale) or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis are crap?  Pretty much the golden age of Adventure Games with LucasArts and Sierra.

#33303 Neuro5i5   pʎslǝxıɔ CAGiversary!   10442 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:34 PM

My first adventure game...

screenshot_674-pirate-adventure-explorin

#33304 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4355 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 April 2019 - 11:45 PM

Dubya Tee Efff? (Real) Adventure Games aren't my thing anymore but I dunno how you can say games like the old Sam & Max series (pre Telltale) or Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis are crap? Pretty much the golden age of Adventure Games with LucasArts and Sierra.

Adventure is just a crappy genre. You either play it for the puzzles, which seem to come in only two flavors (batshit crazy nonsense or absurdly simplistic), or you play it for the story/writing, which is even more hampered by all the ridiculous attempts at having some kind of gameplay than most game genres.

I understand there are games people like and even consider classic in the genre, but the genre itself is fundamentally bad and has always been fundamentally bad.

#33305 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5677 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:22 AM

00playable_screenshot.png

I remember playing this on a mainframe at General Electric when I was a kid,

#33306 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   3007 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:42 AM

Adventure is just a crappy genre. You either play it for the puzzles, which seem to come in only two flavors (batshit crazy nonsense or absurdly simplistic), or you play it for the story/writing, which is even more hampered by all the ridiculous attempts at having some kind of gameplay than most game genres.

I understand there are games people like and even consider classic in the genre, but the genre itself is fundamentally bad and has always been fundamentally bad.

CPGWqxo.gif

#33307 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10612 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:27 AM

I thought the puzzles in LucasArts games were pretty balanced.  The puzzles in Sierra's old stuff could often be convoluted, though.

#33308 Master Miguel   Tired CAGiversary!   1332 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Master Miguel

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:10 AM

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis still holds up. The writing and humor in that game is top notch, plus very few convoluted puzzles. I grew up always hoping they would make a movie out of that story.

#33309 gilby   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   4852 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:08 AM

Like I said, games on the TI99. All of them, this one included, loaded from tape cassette.

34e9669658c581164425160267860edf855ad041

#33310 agentghost   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5138 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:13 AM

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis still holds up. The writing and humor in that game is top notch, plus very few convoluted puzzles. I grew up always hoping they would make a movie out of that story.

why didn't they? Seems like a no-brainer over that Crystal Skull + Alien b.s.

#33311 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   4355 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:31 AM

34e9669658c581164425160267860edf855ad041

tenor.gif

#33312 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   10612 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:30 PM

I recall a semi inside-joke in Secret of Monkey Island where you get a death/game over screen (I believe it was impossible to actually die in Secret of Monkey Island) that mocks Sierra games where you could frequently die.

Fake/realtime edit: here we go...

#33313 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3170 Posts   Joined 7.3 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 11 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

If you could figure out some of the silly Quest for Glory clues, you're my hero.  That Saurus Rex was especially a bugger.  I mean.. I remember as a kid trying to figure out how to kill him.  Then that moment of glory, I finally got the bugger.... and then got nothing from killing him.

#33314 elessar123  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:04 PM

I wish the Laura Bow games were available still. I lost my copy like 20 years ago and I haven't found a release for it since.

Edit: Never mind, at least one is on GOG since 2017. Shows how much attention I pay.

#33315 GauRocks  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:32 PM

I wish the Laura Bow games were available still. I lost my copy like 20 years ago and I haven't found a release for it since.

Edit: Never mind, at least one is on GOG since 2017. Shows how much attention I pay.

In case anyone was still wondering, this is how GOG only makes $7800 in an entire fiscal year.  People who would be buying things don't hear about it when the games they want get released.  There's no buzz when GOG adds games.

#33316 elessar123  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:40 PM

In case anyone was still wondering, this is how GOG only makes $7800 in an entire fiscal year.  People who would be buying things don't hear about it when the games they want get released.  There's no buzz when GOG adds games.

It doesn't show up when you look for Laura Bow, which is why I missed it.  Nothing in the titles mention anything about Laura Bow either. So you have to look for what the main title of each game is.

#33317 lakers714  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 05:45 PM

This is my issue they get games way too late or no mention of them being added, I wonder why it takes them long to get them into their storefront 

#33318 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9212 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

GOG should be always be advertsing when they have actually good older games that they have that aren't on other platforms. The discounts for the new games blow too. I've been waiting for some adventure games to go past 30% on sale for a while now.

#33319 agentghost   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5138 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 April 2019 - 04:53 AM

is the 10% off Humble Monthly when you buy a regular bundle no longer available?  My monthly just ran out last month

#33320 letsmaybeLP92   Indie Game Enthusiast CAGiversary!   325 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

letsmaybeLP92

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:47 PM

Talking about childhood memories, do any of you remember the games by the Learning Company (Carmen Sandiego, Clue Finders, Reader Rabbit, Thinking Things, etc...)

#33321 Master Miguel   Tired CAGiversary!   1332 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Master Miguel

Posted 12 April 2019 - 02:56 PM

Carmen Sandiego was great. I tried to find it online a bit ago and had no luck, was only able to find 1 YouTube video of it even.
Pretty sure I learned more from games like Carmen Sandiego and Age of Empires 2 than I did from geography/history in school.

#33322 weretable   KLF is gonna rock you CAGiversary!   853 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

weretable

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:06 PM

A Carmen Sandiego game was one of the first PC games I ever played.  Seventh grade, IIRC.  Class where they showed us a bit about computers and taught us typing.  The first PC game I ever owned was a port of Star Wars the Arcade Game (Atari). 

Our first home PC was some sort of Epson (Equity something I would guess) and wasn't much benefit for gaming.  I think we briefly had a 486 of some sort?  And then some flavor of Pentium.  That was when I first started diving into some PC gaming because the computer came with a bunch of wing commander games and stuff like that and I played those a lot.  Although the stores I knew about didn't sell many PC games and so outside of those freebies, most of my real gaming started when I built my first PC at 18.  I can not for the life of me remember anything about it other than that I played Diablo 1, Icewind Dale 1/2 and the Baldur's Gate games on it, among others.  And lo the slippery slope had began.  I think my current system is the fifth one that I built but I am not sure about that at this point.

#33323 MysterD   38 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th) CAGiversary!   24539 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 14 April 2019 - 12:55 PM

All this Carmen Sandiego talk: cool.

I'd love to see these come back.

And in an era when everything seems to get re-released on Steam and GOG, why not? Has any company even thought of re-releasing any of these classics to Steam/GOG? Who the heck owns the rights to these?

#33324 TheLongshot   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2451 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

TheLongshot

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:15 PM

That's usually the issue. Who owns the rights? Often it is uncertain, tho given the fact that there is a new animated series, maybe the rights aren't too unattainable.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

#33325 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4582 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:27 PM

Most of the time the rights are held by companies that have no interest in video games and just have them for variety reasons or something.  See the shadow hearts series.

#33326 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   4582 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 14 April 2019 - 06:29 PM

is the 10% off Humble Monthly when you buy a regular bundle no longer available?  My monthly just ran out last month

It is still around iirc as I just saw an ad for it for the namco bundle in their recent email.

#33327 hostyl1   Rejoice commoners! CAGiversary!   2921 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 April 2019 - 07:12 PM

Most of the time the rights are held by companies that have no interest in video games and just have them for variety reasons or something.  See the shadow hearts series.

Dont know about video games, but Pressman Toys is still selling card games of Carmen Sandiego "Based on the Classic Computer Game" as highlighted on the box (got a set for Christmas).

(Way to go Tiger!)

#33328 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1629 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:01 PM

Humble Square Enix Collective Bundle

Easy $1.  Might BTA.

$1+:

Goetia

OCTAHEDRON

Deadbeat Heroes

BTA:

The Turing Test

Forgotten Anne Collector's Edition

Black the Fall

$12:

Tokyo Dark

Children of the Zodiarcs

#33329 Insomniac_34   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   833 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Insomniac_34

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, that $1 tier is really solid. Octahedron looks good. I'd be more likely to BTA if 2/3 of it hadn't been in previous Monthlies.

#33330 realbigexplosion   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1629 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

realbigexplosion

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:06 PM

I was hoping the BTA would tank because of that, but nope.  I guess some people are excited about that $12 tier.