* * * * * 21 votes

Humble Bundle Thread

Humble Bundle Humble bundle steam indie bundle pc mac linux drm-free

#35791 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5357 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 12:00 PM

Valve sued for removing keyless activation in efforts to kill Humble Bundle.

https://www.courtlis...98754.1.0_1.pdf

#35792 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6442 Posts   Joined 8.2 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 29 April 2021 - 02:12 PM

I enjoyed the base game and I like the Metro series more than most people probably do (I've even read the novels) but you can absolutely just play the base game and get a complete experience and be done with it.

I think DLC user ratings probably skew high since most people aren't going to buy DLC for a game they didn't like or play the DLC if they didn't enjoy the base game (unless its fully integrated into the base game).  The audience that's judging an Epilogue style DLC is going to be self-selecting for people already favorably disposed.

That and most people don't even bother to review things in the first place. If the dlc was free you'd probably see a better skew of reviews too. 

#35793 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11432 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 29 April 2021 - 02:32 PM

Valve sued for removing keyless activation in efforts to kill Humble Bundle.

Joke's on Valve; IGN is busy killing Humble all by themselves.

I did like how the lawsuit alleges that Epic Game Store is a failure, having spent upwards of a billion bucks to obtain a <2% share of the PC games distribution market.  I could see Valve's lawyers going back to Apple making the same argument and Sweeny's response that those numbers are totally out of context and EGS is really kicking ass and totally going to explode any day now.

#35794 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   6060 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 29 April 2021 - 03:01 PM

What's
Keyless activation anyhow?

Its not the click redeem and the steam key activation page loading with the key already typed is it?

#35795 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11432 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 29 April 2021 - 03:17 PM

If I remember right, there was a brief period where you could just click a link from Humble's library and it would auto-activate the game on Steam without going through the key approval process.  Most of us actually disliked it as it made it harder to give/sell excess Steam keys (you had to use the gift link)

#35796 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26769 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 03:20 PM

I would also guess dev's/pub's don't always want to rely on Bundle Sites for sales & unit-moving in high volumes either. They (dev's and pub's) probably want more $ from them (Fanatical, Humble, etc) too...to have the game arrive in Bundles.

And they all (Bundle Sites and dev's/pub's) probably get tired of insanely devaluing the games and feeding the gray market too.

#35797 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5667 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:05 PM

No way. This AI's evolving, since we've merged Toaster.Net with the Tensor Cores of the RTX 3070.

terminator-star-glasses.gif

Fixed.

I could see Valve's lawyers going back to Apple making the same argument

Wait, how’s Apple involved in any of this?

#35798 Syntax Error   Art School Dropout CAGiversary!   11432 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Syntax Error

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:35 PM

Wait, how’s Apple involved in any of this?

Apple is currently engaged in a lawsuit from Epic over Fortnite and Apple's cut of their iOS store and all that.  Part of Apple's response was that Epic shouldn't be telling them how to run a game store when Epic has dumped all this money into EGS only to be incurring substantial losses year over year.  Epic's response was "Those aren't losses, those are investment" and the promise that Epic was going to become super profitable and awesome, just you wait.

Now this suit is alleging that Valve is shutting anyone else out of the market and part of their supporting evidence is that Epic has dumped $800m+ into EGS only to see losses year after year and grabbing less than 2% of the market.  The obvious response from Valve would be to use Epic's own words that they're actually a tremendous success in the making -- which would mean that Valve doesn't have their alleged lock on the market after all.

#35799 madjoki   Hey, y no wen free!? CAGiversary!   5357 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:46 PM

If I remember right, there was a brief period where you could just click a link from Humble's library and it would auto-activate the game on Steam without going through the key approval process.  Most of us actually disliked it as it made it harder to give/sell excess Steam keys (you had to use the gift link)

Techically it used keys, but just that Humble activated them on your behalf. Which kinda ruins their point of "someone who has access to keys can steal those", which it does not prevent because of that.

http://web.archive.o...-key-redemption

This says it was little over year, so 2014-2015-ish.

#35800 MysterD   40 Year Old Birthday Toaster (Oct. 25th 1980-2020)) CAGiversary!   26769 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 29 April 2021 - 10:05 PM

Metro: Exodus - PC Enhanced Edition's System Requirements revealed:

TechSpot - https://www.techspot...ition-free.html

2021-04-29-image.jpg

#35801 Tibor   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   335 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 30 April 2021 - 08:39 PM

Wow. Were you not thrilled w/ the story stuff and/or character stuff like in...

• BG1 & BG 2+TOB?
  • NWN: Hordes expansion?
  • Jade Empire?
  • KOTOR 1?
  • Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate?
  • DA2 and its DLC's?
  • DA: Inquisition and its Trespasser DLC?
  • Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3?
    (I can understand complaints of ME3's base-game ending, but most of it was still really good in its journey)

Those were all Bioware games and most of them were released when an expansion was usually worth the $30.

Hordes of the Underdark was expansion #3 if I remember right and the only one worth the money (Fighter/Clerics were OP and super fun). DA1 was the first game that had day 1 DLC with that extra quest, character and armor with pre-order.

#35802 TheSupremeForce   Knight of the Word CAGiversary!   165 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

TheSupremeForce

Posted 30 April 2021 - 09:44 PM

Those were all Bioware games and most of them were released when an expansion was usually worth the $30.

Hordes of the Underdark was expansion #3 if I remember right and the only one worth the money (Fighter/Clerics were OP and super fun). DA1 was the first game that had day 1 DLC with that extra quest, character and armor with pre-order.

Hordes was the second expansion. Shadows of Undrentide was the first one. Shadows was fine, but definitely not as good as Hordes. 

#35803 TFrank   Oh right, I can edit this CAGiversary!   173 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:05 PM

It's been over 3 weeks and still no key for the Pathfinder: Kingmaker Explorer Ed. I bought.

Meanwhilst, the game's on sale again.

#35804 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1068 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 02 May 2021 - 04:37 PM

Was thinking about jumping on the $9 per month deal because I anticipate getting the Metro Exodus bundle this month, but then realized you have to get last month's garbage F1: 2020 bundle as one of those three months.

#35805 Insomniac_34   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1367 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Insomniac_34

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:03 PM

CSD 3 and Metro are enough to get me to sub this month.

#35806 Master Miguel   Tired CAGiversary!   1493 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Master Miguel

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:49 PM

Pretty good month for me.  I'm interested in most of the main games and even some of the filler (I'm a sucker for puzzle games) seem interesting.

#35807 Insomniac_34   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1367 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Insomniac_34

Posted 04 May 2021 - 05:59 PM

Yeah, it's fairly decent all around. Metro and CSD are the big ones for me, but even the lesser known stuff like Relicta, Fury Unleashed, Size Matters and Family Man seem like they might pique my interest.

#35808 nitrosmob   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10603 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2021 - 06:04 PM

Good enough for me. I own CSD 3 already (good game), but the rest looks alright.

#35809 Smkane112  

Posted 04 May 2021 - 07:55 PM

Looks like another pause for me not too interested in any of it. May have to leave unpause and try sell the main games

#35810 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11247 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:33 PM

#35811 Josh1billion   Josh x1,000,000,000 CAGiversary!   2302 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Josh1billion

Posted 05 May 2021 - 12:23 AM

Oh man, this is a tough decision.  I want Fury Unleashed and Cook Serve Delicious 3, but I already have the headliners and am not sure about the others.

#35812 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5802 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:00 AM

Yet another month filled with IGN garba....

Nah, I like it.

#35813 Blade   This is the way CAGiversary!   15302 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:10 AM

Dom DeLouise as a hedonist

You know, if you replaced grapes with Blizzard DLC and servants with people streaming playthroughs on youtube, then this is pretty much how I picture you being IRL.

#35814 Mooby   Herp Derp CAGiversary!   11247 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:00 AM

History of the World, Part I is a classic, dawg!

#35815 inm8num2   The result is quite fresh and quality. CAGiversary!   3325 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2021 - 08:54 PM

Hamble repents, brings back the charity sliders.

https://blog.humbleb...bundle-sliders/

We recently announced our initial plan for redesigned bundle pages which would no longer include sliders that let customers fully control what percentage of their order went to Humble Bundle, charity and publishers/developers.

We’ve heard everyone loud and clear and apologize for the way these changes were rolled out. We are now taking a moment to pause, collect constructive feedback and be more transparent about the path forward.

Today, we’ll be turning sliders back on for all customers on our bundle pages while we take more time to review feedback and consider sliders and the importance of customization for purchases on bundle pages in the long term.

In the coming weeks, we’ll roll out the updated design which will include sliders that work exactly as they did previously. Once the new design is live, we will continue to iterate on it, incorporating feedback from the community into its ongoing evolution. 

Part of that future development will include exploring different approaches to the sliders and how splits work, along with new ways to incorporate charity into other parts of the user experience.

#35816 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5667 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2021 - 09:51 PM

I can't believe they reacted negatively when we forced the charities to take a lower cut!

#35817 hal   Game Hoarder CAGiversary!   5802 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 05 May 2021 - 11:35 PM

Hamble repents, brings back the charity sliders.

https://blog.humbleb...bundle-sliders/

leaves door open to take them away again when no one is looking

#35818 JSweeney   ... CAGiversary!   11392 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

JSweeney

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:40 AM

History of the World, Part I is a classic, dawg!

I want History of the World, Part II:  Hitler on Ice, a Viking Funeral and Spaceballs!
(Yeah, I don't think even Mel Brooks could get this made now.)

#35819 josekortez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8530 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 06 May 2021 - 09:27 AM

There's one day left to grab the Humble Lego bundle.  I didn't have either of the Lego Marvel games or Lego DC Super-Villains or the Lego Batman 3 DLCs, so I said, "Hey, why not for $10?"

#35820 Ex~   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1068 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:39 AM

It's very clear they want to start making money from the bundles, and that they haven't been. The same reason why the bundles have been getting shittier and shittier, and far and fewer in between. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Humble Bundle, Humble, bundle, steam, indie bundle, pc, mac, linux, drm-free