Sony Pulse Elite Edition Wireless Stereo Headset $99.99 [PS4 compatible 1/2014] @ Amazon.com

htz

CAGiversary!
Staff member
Feedback
4 (100%)
Pulse Elite Edition Wireless Stereo Headset $99.99

You can still use it on PS4 right now by plugging the audio cable into the Dualshock 4.

Earlier this month in an OnPlayStation stream about peripherals (at 17:30), Jon Regala, Director of Product Marketing, Peripherals and Innovation, revealed when you can expect to see the PS4 update allowing Pulse Elite Headset compatibility:

I’ll admit, this one’s been a touchy subject because [Shuhei Yoshida's] been out there saying things on Twitter, [Scott Rohde's] some things – it’s been confusing.

The reality is this: Our PlayStation line of headsets, at launch, unfortunately will not work. It was just due to resource issues… we couldn’t make it happen. At PlayStation, we strive to make sure that everything is a perfect experience, and it wasn’t perfect.

The good news is: We’re fixing it, it’s nearly done. We will see it roll out in North America just after the first of [2014], so not too far away.

Regala then said the wait should be “only a month, month and a half,” so expect that update very early in January 2014.

Source: http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/11/25/ps4-update-to-allow-sony-pulse-elite-headsets-is-expected-just-after-january-1st-2014/

Last edited by a moderator:
They haven't said exactly when, but that support is coming for Bluetooth headphones in the future. I'd just venture a guess of Q1/2014.

I wonder how these compare to headphones like these -

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1385751296&sr=8-3&keywords=audio+technica+air

i always heard that using high end music headphones with an amplifier that can do virtual surround sound is better than any of the gaming headsets out there. These sound phenomenal and I was happy to get them for around $90 at the time.

just so you know, "virtual" surround sound can still be a very good effect. Stereo headphones can accomplish surround sound very capably. these are good examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOz9b2nscoE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u163wC6mP2A

Last edited:
I would advise against getting these, unless you're ok with buying something else in 6 months as they have a known design fault where the side hinges slowly crack and break.

ibvEKupRYh3g1E.png

Also, I the grand theft auto v Pulse elites are 130 at gamestop. They're the same but with a Gta theme. I'm getting those only because I have credit.... And they're pretty.

I don't like my chances that this price will last until Monday so I can price match it at Best Buy. But I'd prefer to not wait for shipping. Blerg. Might have to bite the bullet and just order online.

I've had mine for at least a year use them almost everyday for gaming,listening to music on iPhone etc. never had anything break on them and the sound quality is great if you ask me.Guess your being pretty rough on them for stuff like that to happen

Fine, I bit. Don't want to chance missing this price. Was gonna get the afterglow one at the same price after the weekend, but these seem way better (and a better value with the sale price).

I've had mine for at least a year use them almost everyday for gaming,listening to music on iPhone etc. never had anything break on them and the sound quality is great if you ask me.Guess your being pretty rough on them for stuff like that to happen
Hardly. I have the same issues with my set as in that pic and I'm not hard on them at all. I think part of it is the level of humidity in the air, ie. the plastic cracks if their in a place where the air is too dry.

Hardly. I have the same issues with my set as in that pic and I'm not hard on them at all. I think part of it is the level of humidity in the air, ie. the plastic cracks if their in a place where the air is too dry.
From what i understand this is a fairly commom problem sony really needs to step up their game.

I know a lot of people seem to like these, but I had a different experience. I bought for $125 two months ago and returned them for a few reasons...

1. I was not at all impressed by the battery life. I felt like I had them plugged in more often than not and I had to buy a longer cable just so it could reach me while I played. If I wanted to be plugged in all the time, I wouldn't have bought wireless.

2. It was uncomfortable to wear for extended periods. The headband was particularly uncomfortable compared to my previous Turtle Beach headset.

3. I bought them with the intention of using them with the PS4 when it was released. I'm sure Sony will come through and they will be fully compatible at some point, but I wasn't sure when and wanted something that would work right away.

4. The sound is nice, but it's nothing amazing. The Bassimpact feature just gave me a headache, even after only a few minutes. I thought the sound wasn't very good when I was chatting with friends, but that may have been unrelated to the headset itself. Most people like this feature, but I didn't like the integrated mic.

5. There is a good chance that Sony is going to release a new headset soon. They have released a new one the last two years and I thought I would wait and see what if they came out with a new and improved wireless headset. They seem to keep lowering the price on the current Pulse headset, so they might be trying to get rid of them before the new ones come out. So far, I haven't seen one announced.

I decided to return them and ended up buying Turtle Beach XP510 from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $170. I'm glad I paid the extra and got those instead of sticking with the Pulse headset. If I was buying a headset today, I would pay the extra money and get something like the Astro headsets that are on sale this week or one of the Turtle Beach headsets. I know that can be expensive for a lot of people and maybe you don't use a headset a lot. In that case, maybe the Pulse headset is good enough for you. Like I said, a lot of people seem to like them. I wear my headset all the time for watching TV and movies along with playing games, so I was fine with paying for a nicer headset.

Sony is definitely going to patch in full ps4 support. This is a big part of their hardware ecosystem. However, I'm passing because of the faulty, breaking frame.

I'm waiting on the inevitable Pulse Elite 2.0. Ps4 and headphones are two areas that Sony invests resources in. They are probably working on the next version of their premier gaming/ps4 headphones, whatever that may be.

Yeaa me too. I canceled my order just before shipping out once I saw that pic. Will wait for the inevitable Pulse 2.0

I got the original pulse (non-elite). Quality build was questionable. Also I hear crackle noise & the ear cups cover slip off. This was the non-elite version but still don't think sony have address these problems.

I appreciate all the opinions, I was really on the fence on grabbing a set. I have the previous sony wireless stereo headset and really like them so I was looking to upgrade but from the sounds of it these new ones have some issues. I love my battery life, I feel like I never have to charge mine and the plastic does creek a little but I haven't had any issues. I will hold off until either these get stupid cheap or the new version comes out, either way. 

I ordered because I'm using cheap headphones on my ps4. It's really annoying. If I didn't have ps4 I wouldn't have ordered.

bread's done
Back