CAGcast #347: How to Avoid Back Pain and Disgust People

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The guys talk more Xbox One, including, RYSE, Forza 5, and Powerstar Golf impressions. Also, upcoming superhero movies, Amazon drones and so much more!

Download (93 minutes) - iTunes -
https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-347-how-to-avoid-back

All new Stack Soaps available at select Whole Foods Markets, now available in Peppermint, Jasmine, & Unscented. These new bars have even better ingredients because they were made specifically for Whole Foods. They use essential oils for fragrance, which is the good stuff!

Available at Whole Foods Market in these 7 states:

• Ohio

• Virginia

• Maryland

• Pennsylvania

• Washington DC

• (South) New Jersey

• Kentucky

For everyone else, they’re on Amazon with free shipping.

Show Linkage/Notes:
Intro Harry Nilsson - Everybody's Talkin' (Pynner Remix) - Outro (Roadblock PSA)

CAG #347

5:00 Lego Marvel/Black Friday
8:eek:o CAG Feedback
8:30 - Forza 5
11:15 - Zelda controls
16:00 - What would cause ScroogeyD to be a big Nintendo fan
16:45 Watch This: Almost Human
19:00 Spidey 2 poster
23:15 Superman vs Batman + Wonder Woman
25:00 New Releases
25:00 - Gran Turismo
27:30 - Heathcliff (DSi)
33:00 Cheapy's Xbox One impressions
33:15 - Setup / Downloading apps
42:00 - Skype, switching between games/apps/etc
43:45 - Voice control with kids
44:30 - Lack of a Kinect mount
45:30 - Voice command irregularity
46:30 - Visual login
48:00 - Ryse
55:45 - Forza 5
1:02:30 - Powerstar Golf
1:03:45 Xboxfeedback.com
1:07:45 Problems with the party system
1:08:15 Wombat sound issues w/ XB1 / hdmi handshaking(?)
1:11:15 Following people
1:11:45 Kinect
1:14:45 Assassin's Creed IV
1:20:00 Metal Gear Solid delay
1:20:30 Why no WiiU for CheapyD?
1:24:00 Nvidia shield updates
1:25:30 Basketball Coaching
1:26:00 Black Friday traffic stats
1:27:00 Amazon downgrading service
1:29:30 @cag_historian
RSS - Full CAGcast Catalog
Facebook
Youtube (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

https://twitter.com/cag_historian/status/408379010884702208

Last edited by a moderator:
"A great gift for your smelly family members".

I bet that's going on the Stack Soaps box.

Domino's did a similar drone delivery thing back in June: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDXuGQRpvs4

Also even though I have Amazon Prime, I bought stuff on Best Buy because the deals became active earlier than Amazon, and Best Buy doesn't charge me tax at the moment.

Count me as a fan of the drone delivery idea. Less environmental impact, less damage to roads, less resource consumption, and less drivers means they will be able to take their productive efforts elsewhere. Driving is a very time consuming job, and while working this job, drivers are unable to do anything else but drive. If automated driving also catches on and is adapted by trucking companies, drivers will be able to do other things while on the job, like take classes, run their own business, invest, any number of things.

Bring on the technological revolution.

Of course, the government will probably put the kabosh on peaceful applications, while continuing to shoot missiles all around the world with their death bots. 'It's good for me, but not for thee,' 'fuck you, I got mine' and such.

I'll be listening to you guys while putting up the office xmas tree this afternoon.  Thanks fellas!

Do you think with the xbox one app switching, people will buy more digital releases?   I really hate getting up and switching the disc.

Tried Yoga because of Cheapy, and wouldn't say it helped my back as much as hurt, but going to keep at it! Maybe until I get even close to downward dog. So inflexible.

Speaking of app switching, you guys are deep in Xboxesses, but thought I heard said PS4 doesn't support that? Unless talking about something else, you can totally do a ship battle in Assassin's Creed 4, switch to Netflix to watch something, open the web browser, go to NHL GameCenter, and end up back to being right to the ship battle in a game. Been using that a bunch and loving it. The option for suspending games when you want to put the PS4 in a low power mode is still pending.

It sounds like they haven't made it any harder to get cars in GT6 thru normal gameplay than it was in GT5.

Being able to leave a game running and switch to watching TV can be done with any console - you just press the Input button on your TV remote.  I see the advantage of having two things going at once on the Xbone like a game and Internet Explorer displaying a walkthru you can follow, but I don't see how it's any easier to stop playing a game full screen and start watching a TV show full screen than it is on the 360, PS3, PS4 or Wii/U.

The PS4 does have fast app switching now.  But it will never have cable TV as an app because it doesn't have an HDMI pass thru.

CAG #347

5:00 Lego Marvel/Black Friday
8:eek:o CAG Feedback
8:30 - Forza 5
11:15 - Zelda controls
16:00 - What would cause ScroogeyD to be a big Nintendo fan
16:45 Watch This: Almost Human
19:00 Spidey 2 poster
23:15 Superman vs Batman + Wonder Woman
25:00 New Releases
25:00 - Gran Turismo
27:30 - Heathcliff (DSi)
33:00 Cheapy's Xbox One impressions
33:15 - Setup / Downloading apps
42:00 - Skype, switching between games/apps/etc
43:45 - Voice control with kids
44:30 - Lack of a Kinect mount
45:30 - Voice command irregularity
46:30 - Visual login
48:00 - Ryse
55:45 - Forza 5
1:02:30 - Powerstar Golf
1:03:45 Xboxfeedback.com
1:07:45 Problems with the party system
1:11:15 Following people
1:11:45 Kinect
1:14:45 Assassin's Creed IV
1:20:00 Metal Gear Solid delay
1:20:30 Why no WiiU for CheapyD?
1:24:00 Nvidia shield updates
1:25:30 Basketball Coaching
1:26:00 Black Friday traffic stats
1:27:00 Amazon downgrading service
1:29:30 @cag_historian

Nice show this week.

Question:  Simply me following CheapyD/Shipwreck won't put you in as a drivatar in Forza 5 will it?  We would have to be friends, correct?

Nice show this week.

Question: Simply me following CheapyD/Shipwreck won't put you in as a drivatar in Forza 5 will it? We would have to be friends, correct?
Following will put them into your races quite a lot. They may see your Drivatar from time to time, but not nearly with the frequency that you see theirs.

Here's my million dollar idea that I got while listening to this week's episode:

Combine the nickel and diming of Skylanders with all your Forzas, Torinos, or whatever. Children (and man-children) everywhere will be happy to shell out $5-10 apiece for in game cars if the price includes a dumb collectible hot-wheel car that costs nothing to make. And of course they can really fleece us consumers for the rare special edition cars (with a brand new hat). This will market itself because retailers and their affiliates will be happy to push the hell out of this stuff.  

You're welcome... and I'm sorry. 

Awesome start to the show. I am at work and cracking up. Everyone keeps asking me what is so damn funny.

I always hear that Shipwreck is a engineer but always wonder what type. It sounds like you work DoD stuff but what is his background. I have heard the mention of helicopters. I am a systems engineer doing DoD projects as well. Well, great start to the show!

It sounds like they haven't made it any harder to get cars in GT6 thru normal gameplay than it was in GT5.

Being able to leave a game running and switch to watching TV can be done with any console - you just press the Input button on your TV remote. I see the advantage of having two things going at once on the Xbone like a game and Internet Explorer displaying a walkthru you can follow, but I don't see how it's any easier to stop playing a game full screen and start watching a TV show full screen than it is on the 360, PS3, PS4 or Wii/U.

The PS4 does have fast app switching now. But it will never have cable TV as an app because it doesn't have an HDMI pass thru.
It's much faster than switching the input with my setup since I have everything synced to activities with my Harmony remote. Plus, TV was just an example. You can switch to anything that is an app quickly.

Sorry Ship, but anyone who thinks Superman has weak villains but like Spider-Man villains...clearly doesn't know much about Superman villains.

Other than Doc Ock, Green Goblin, and Venom, most Spider-Man villains are either lame (Vulture, Shocker, Hammerhead) or rip-offs of other Spider-Man villains (Hobgoblin, Carnage, Hydroman).

You forgot Rhino, Sandman, Electro, The Lizard, Kraven and many more that I like.
Eh, I like Rhino, Sandman and Electro (not the Lizard or Kraven), but I would hardly say they are better than some Superman villains (who has his fair share of poor ones as well).

I just don't understand people who say Superman has a weak Rogues Gallery when thats far from the truth.

The GT6 microtransactions are completely gross but saves have already been hacked to give players a ton of in-game cash.

2 of my favorite comics ever.  Read em!

03-23-2008%2002;35;51PM.JPG

03-23-2008%2002;36;33PM.JPG

Cheapy, your ideas on back pain confuse me.  

Why would a strictly mental condition like (stress) have a mechanical trigger like bending over, or prolonged sitting on flights to/from the USA?  Type IV mechanoreceptors (pain receptors) are stimulated by either heat, mechanical stimulus, or chemical stimulus.  People with intermittent pain are typically those with mechanical pain and will say "it hurts to do (insert painful activity)".  People with a predominant psychosocial element to their pain are typically people with more chronic pain that often waxes and wanes, but cannot be resolved by mechanical stresses in a short period of time.

Please read Treat your own back - you can find the PDFs online for free and it is a quick read.  I think it will accurately describe your problem and the solution to you (hint: you have already figured out part of it).  If you look at the exercises that are in it, it is just like the press-up exercise from yoga - the opposite of the forward bending motion that your lumbar spine goes through when you clean up semen or when you sustain a seated posture.  You describe mechanical triggers of your back pain (bending over) and also a mechanical solution (yoga).  

I do believe that there is a psychosocial element to back pain, I don't think that Sarno is totally off base, but I don't think that this is your problem.  I have listened to your trials with on the podcast for the last 4 years or so and you typically describe a mechanical cause.  Look up what causes ulcers - Sarno indicates that they are caused by stress - but the most common cause is now known to be Helicobacter pylori.  The Sarno book is out of date with current medical literature.  

If you look at the natural history of the typical person with low back pain, it lasts for 1 - 3 weeks and will resolve without any treatment.  It is good to rest for the first 3-5 days, but prolonged bed rest is not recommended after that because progressive activity has been found to be more beneficial.  I believe that being active is good based on the medical literature available at this time and also believe that many people that read Dr. Sarno's book may become more active which can help mechanical pain and the psychosocial influence on pain.

In short, I am happy that it is working for you, but believe that there is a more logical explanation - you advise avoiding forward bending (alleviation of mechanical stress) to avoid back pain, not to decrease your stress level (alleviation of mental stress) and I think you are right on track.

Thanks for the show guys.

Anyone hook their PC through X1? CheapyD? I don't own live TV programming. I just pay for Extreme internet. I use the PC for 99% of my entertainment other than Xbox. Heard there was lag when HDMI was used for X360 so I tried the PC. I played ESO beta couple weeks ago and there was no lag issues.  

I haven't played Forza since part two other than Horizon. Hasn't micro transactions been in Forza since part two? I thought you could always buy cars with real money or earn through play. I never bought any because you had to buy with in game money also which defeats the purpose because by the time you have the ingame cash you unlocked the car.  I hate microtransactions but I am a sucker for special content. I paid $4 for a skin on Ryse hahahaha.

I just imagine Wombat telling a therapist the Cheapy jizz story (and the two shit stories) and the therapist asking "Okay...and tell me is "Cheapy" here now?" while Wombat insists that his friend Cheapy is real.

The advantage of having things that were part of the Xbox OS (friends, achievements, etc.) now be separate apps on the Xbox One is that they can be updated more frequently and independently of big annual dashboard updates.

Sorry cheapyD I think some your back pain theories are crazy. (that said whatever works for you.....)  I personally have a degenerative disk in my back and no amount of happy thoughts will correct that. The exercise thing is solid.

As far as a mini ipad. I was 100% sure I wanted but I got in on the Target trade-in a while back and picked up an Air. I am glad I did. It is thin as a mini, narrower than a typical ipad (I can one hand it) and super fast. The bigger screen is great. So you might want to check out one before deciding. I was coming from an iPad 1 as well. 

Sorry cheapyD I think some your back pain theories are crazy. (that said whatever works for you.....) I personally have a degenerative disk in my back and no amount of happy thoughts will correct that. The exercise thing is solid.

As far as a mini ipad. I was 100% sure I wanted but I got in on the Target trade-in a while back and picked up an Air. I am glad I did. It is thin as a mini, narrower than a typical ipad (I can one hand it) and super fast. The bigger screen is great. So you might want to check out one before deciding. I was coming from an iPad 1 as well.
They are not HIS theories. He read this book and believes it works for HIM.

http://www.amazon.com/Healing-Back-Pain-Mind-Body-Connection/dp/0446557684/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386277092&sr=8-1&keywords=sarno

Sorry cheapyD I think some your back pain theories are crazy. (that said whatever works for you.....) I personally have a degenerative disk in my back and no amount of happy thoughts will correct that. The exercise thing is solid.
HAHA theories yes crazy no. I am a logical thinker. Mind over matter doesn't work for me unless my physical state is altered. I have taken narcotics for my pain which numb the pain but are an addicting high. I prefer a herbal alternative. Herb may not numb the pain but it makes life in general a more pleasant experience. This "zen" helps me forget about the pain. Exercise is also helpful.

Shipwreck, nobody says "Os." Especially in the Mac community where we all mimic Steve Jobs. It is, and always has been, "O.S."

I'm 48 years old and have used Macs professionally since the SE-30, and I have never ever heard anyone say "Os."

Wow... I don't know about everyone else. But I always look forward to Cheapy's poop situations. I never imagined it could get any worse for you until I heard this show! 

Does anyone else agree with me though that the pics going around on the internet of the Amazon Prime drones look like grills with rotors?

Yep, over the last few years CW has been turning things around after their focus on teen dramas for girls. Arrow, Supernatural, Nikita; all great programing.

No one says "osss" even in the Mac community. When OS is part of another word, you might says "osss". Like MacOS or PC-DOS. But when it's just alone, everyone says "O.S." even though as Shipwreck says it takes longer. I see no reason why Shipwreck can't say it any way he wants though. I personally says "Mac-Ohes" (like Cheerios) just to be a jackass.

I, like those above am baffled at how 3 people turned the idea of not quitting your game before watching TV into something other consoles don't have. Just switch inputs, watch your TV, then switch back. Meanwhile your console sits there and hums along using 70W of power (and making 70W) of heat. Even if it is an Xbox One this is the case, it uses power while you are watching TV through it. Despite what the above person said, I can't watch Netflix without quitting my game. But I just use my AppleTV to watch Netflix anyway. PS4 doesn't have the HDMI pass through, so it isn't quite as convenient as on XBox One if you want to watch TV, but that won't be fixed in any future software update either.

Cheapy, another reason your TV might not turn on and off right with the Xbox One all the time is because of the timing between IR codes. Devices that receive IR have to look for pauses (periods of no IR) to determine when IR codes start and end. Since IR codes usually come from you pressing buttons, receiving devices often look for human-scale (read long) times between codes and don't recognize the codes if they don't have those big gaps. So if your Xbox has a setting to space out the codes (transmit delay), try increasing that. All of this junk is why I despite IR blasting don't ever want to do any of it again. All my future AV equipment will be IP controllable, and good smart remotes like the Logitech thing Shipwreck has will do IP control. Maybe Xbox One will at some point too.

As to Cheapy and his Forza thing. It sounds like a cop-out. We were all going to stand up together on this so MS understands they have to fix it. I guess we'll have to do it without Cheapy. The good news is Cheapy will have some experience with Forza 5 now so maybe he can later explain if the persistent nagging by the game to get you to buy coin doublers and such is really a big problem or not. Personally, it's the nagging and the presence of XP and coin doublers that bugs me more than cars. I don't plan to buy any cars anyway. That's not how I play these racing games. I prefer sweat equity.

Cheapy, why the sudden switch away from the term "macro-transactions" to "micro-transactions"?

Great show, as always.

Random thoughts:

- Cheapy you were alone but still did your wankery in the bathroom?  If there's no worry of getting caught by anyone why not do this somewhere where you can get comfortable and enjoy yourself a little more?

Ummm, that's what I've read people do on the internet.  :whistle2:

- I've never head anyone pronounce it "oss".  Sorry Ship.

- I am with Ship in regards to Team Spidey, he's the best.  Even so he has had plenty of corny villains over the years.  I'm sure Superman and Batman have more, but they also have 30 years more history, and most of that was Golden Age super campy stuff.

side Spidey note: the new trailer looks really cool.  I know the movie will probably not live up to it, but I'm way more excited for the movie now than I was yesterday.

- Cheapy's polite reaction to the latest UO topic...priceless.  lol 

(I am one of the 7 subscribers btw)

- Really loving the honest feedback on both systems.  They both have some cool features.  That being said, I am soooooo happy I decided to hold off on either one until at least middle of next year.

Speaking of app switching, you guys are deep in Xboxesses, but thought I heard said PS4 doesn't support that? Unless talking about something else, you can totally do a ship battle in Assassin's Creed 4, switch to Netflix to watch something, open the web browser, go to NHL GameCenter, and end up back to being right to the ship battle in a game. Been using that a bunch and loving it. The option for suspending games when you want to put the PS4 in a low power mode is still pending.
Yeah, PS4 totally does app switching. It even has that shortcut where you double click the PS button to fast switch between your game and the last app you used. That kind of fast task switching is by no means Xbox only at this point.

I'm hoping CW becomes like the DC show network, they had Smallville, now they have Arrow and the Flash coming soon along with Young Justice in development. What do you guys think would be good TV material? I'd love a Vigilante (either as a modern show or a western) or Booster Gold show.

DC really has to come to terms that it can not do what Marvel is doing with their huge money sucks of movies and expect to get as much out it.  They have a really great track record concerning tv, from live-action to animation and they've have to embrace it by making an entire universe just as Timm and Co. did in the 90s and 00s.

I don't really care too much about the Spider-Man 2 movie now after seeing the hype. I'd have preferred to see Paul Giamatti wearing a rubber suit or that contraption he was wearing in the set pics. He's Paul fuck ing Giamatti for God's sake! He can make ANYTHING WORK!

I thought Amazon was doing the $35 shipping to cover their butts especially since it's the Christmas shopping season. We'll have to wait and see before if they really will stick by it, though this was going to happen sooner or later.

@Wombat,

I have a similar setup with the same issue. Charter Cable -> XB1 -> Yamaha YHT-S401 Receiver (HDMI1) -> LG TV (HDMI1 ARC). What I noticed was that something, XB1 maybe, was stitching the receiver from HDMI1 to TV ARC. I believe this means the receiver is expecting the sound to come from the TV rather than the XB1. Turning off the receiver would cause the TV to output the sound.

Solution so far is to manually switch the receiver back to HDMI1, every time I start the XB1. If I turn off ARC on the receiver the problem goes away as well but I want ARC. Sounds like using the optical cable may be the better solution.

Yeah, PS4 totally does app switching. It even has that shortcut where you double click the PS button to fast switch between your game and the last app you used. That kind of fast task switching is by no means Xbox only at this point.
You can do it on the Vita, too.

Cheapy, I'm not trying to tell you how you think but while I understand the Forza anger with the Micro/macro transactions, didn't you buy a bunch of shit for the NHL Ultimate Team mode?

Those cards seem like a giant waste as money as well to me. Where is the Cheapy line on these transactions?

Cheapy, I'm not trying to tell you how you think but while I understand the Forza anger with the Micro/macro transactions, didn't you buy a bunch of shit for the NHL Ultimate Team mode?

Those cards seem like a giant waste as money as well to me. Where is the Cheapy line on these transactions?
not sure if your just joking but so many people seems to be missing the boat with the "micro-transactions". It is not the presence of them that is the problem. It is the curtailing and designing the game around them that is the problem.

For instance with Forza's career mode. Here are things you could do in 3 and 4 that increased your bank roll in credits

• Auction a car
  • Buy a car at auction
  • Sell a car
  • Sell a tune
  • Sell a design
  • Gift a car
  • Gift a tune
  • Gift a design
  • Receive discounts on parts based on affinity level.
  • Winning cars when hitting certain levels
  • Credits rewards increasing as you level up.
  • Forza 5 - it appears online winnings are less as well

It appears as Turn 10 has made the ability to earn credits a slow process and put the "accelerators" and "token purchasing" right up front for you to see.

I can see slowing down the economy a little but I cant even sell a car back or give to a friend if I don't want it??? C'mon...that's uncalled for.

But now they have given me so many credits through Forza rewards it doesn't even matter. I have little incentive to play career mode as for one it is boring as shit, and 2 the money earned is meh. They should have some bigger more important races to build up to but I don't see it. There is very little to look forward to in the career mode. Race this track with this car and then do it again, and again and again.

Anyway it seems as if companies are seeing a bit of a push back and hopefully it will lessen but it will all depend on how much money they earn from these things. If it is substantial then you can yell and scream all you want...it will be here to stay.

A word that has always confounded me is meme. For the longest time I read it in my head as "may may" before I heard someone speak it outloud for the first time and I thought "that doesn't make any sense based on how it's spelled."

I know pronouncing it "aus" isn't correct, but I'll never shake it. Growing up with DOS and then moving to Mac OS, it just made sense to me to pronounce it that way. I say iOS the same way if I don't purposefully correct myself.

I was a big shocked by that minimum shipping thing by Amazon. I got caught by that once when I was trying to order some supplements and found it pretty ridiculous. However I still tend to get most of my products there.

Also while I am also skeptical about the drones, Bezos said his most optimistic view for their release is 5 years. There have been a lot of misleading articles saying that 2015 is the earliest it can happen, but that is referring to when the FAA will have rules in place for commercial drones.

Cheapy, when your dad is setting the Xbox One up, all he has to say is "Xbox Go to Skype". That will take him straight to the store page if the app isn't already installed.

Even better, as I'm assuming you are buying him Xbox Live Gold too, take his login credentials and sign into the Xbox One Smartglass app. You can pin all the apps that he is going to use to his My Pins section before he ever even turns the console on.

That's great, I guess, if I only used two apps or if I shared your definition of "fast." But it's not really the same considering the app selection is so weak on PS4 (TV is the world's biggest app followed by Skype) or I may have to use other devices (headset, keyboard, remote control) to make those PS4 apps and TV work. And then there's the fact that the PS4 just swaps slower. The comparison breaks down fast in the real world.

I can swap between games, TV, Skype, Xbox store, Bing and anything else I want on Xbox with no pauses. Without having ever opened the app before. Without having to find a remote control to switch inputs on my TV and receiver. Without having to find my headset to Skype. Without a keyboard to use Bing. Without manually loading my profile. Without navigating through menus. Without wondering where an app can be found. Without a remote control to change the volume. Without the app being open. Without a remote control to change channels. Without a remote control to turn everything on or off. That's a whole lot of "withouts."

On Xbox I can switch between apps instantaneously without being concerned about what I used last. I can also use those apps paired together by snapping (snapping means no need to swap--the fastest swap possible). I could have never used an app and still open it with no menus/manual navigation. And if I'm watching TV as I'm installing a new game to the hard drive, I get an on-screen notification to switch from TV to the game (nice little surprise when that happened).

How long does it take to switch from a game to TV to Skype to Xbox store to a Bing search and back to your game on Xbox? And if I wanted to switch back to TV after that?

How long does it take on PS4 to switch from your game to TV to Skype to Playstation store to Bing (or google if that makes you feel better) and then back to your game? To call it slow and clunky would be very generous considering the other devices you might need (headset, remote control, keyboard) and the need to actually have those apps open in order to swap.

The comparison becomes laughable within seconds. Or minutes in the case of the PS4.

I remember when Microsoft had their first reveal and showed how fast the swapping and snapping would be. A lot of people (the NeoGaffe folks in particular) claimed that it would never be that fast. The NeoGaffe "insiders" were very adamant that it just wasn't possible and their "inside" access to the system confirmed that the swapping and snapping would be a slideshow. Something about smoke and mirrors, "hype," and sleight of hand tricks. And now those same folks are saying it's really not fast at all..... And comparing the swapping to the Vita.....

In other words, fast task switching effectively means Xbox only at this point.

I didn't want to start a console war. :oops: Was just saying PS4 switches apps for going from Netflix to the thick of a sea battle in AC4 instantly. It takes literally like one second to swap tasks and is pretty cool about both these new consoles.

bread's done
Back