* * - - - 5 votes

Call of Duty: Ghosts Game & Season Pass (PS4) download cards FREE at Best Buy (YMMV)

PS4 Call of Duty FREE Best Buy YMMV

#31 honzoh   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   355 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

If it was about the principle, then you would have left without purchasing it AFTER proving to the manager that it was marked incorrectly.  

OP deserved an apology, not free shit.

#32 MildObstruction   then let my “insanity” be the mother of my betrayal CAGiversary!   16711 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

MildObstruction

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

The hardest thing to believe from all of this is the employee that priced this obviously never heard of Call of Duty, and this is at a Best Buy store!  Its like saying you have never heard of Star Wars.  With just about anyone else at BB, Im sure a flag would have gone off in their head when they printed out the price tag and saw where it had to go and would have told management before going through with it. 

I have to admit though, those people do exist at BB.  I was calling my store to find out for sure if they would be opening at midnight for CoD and/or Battlefield when it went on sale.  Not only did she not know if they were doing midnight openings for the 2 biggest games of the season that were coming out in just a week or so, but I could tell from her voice that she never heard of either of those games!  Its amazing how you can even pass the first interview for a job there and not know about something like that

May come as a surprise, but video games aren't the focal point for Best Buy.  Additionally, when you're hired there you're not necessarily expected to have any previous knowledge of anything in the store and are generally trained for a single role to start with (cashier, phone sales, home theater).  Now that they have no dedicated video game employees, I would expect fewer and fewer Best Buy employees to have any knowledge of video games unless they're just fans themselves.

#33 Agent Orange   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   940 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Agent Orange

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Price mistake, obviously. Not worth it. Especially if it's a Best Buy you go to. Don't want to ruin PMs, return/rebuys, or other deals for yourself.

That is my thoughts on these types of things when I see them pop-up.

Don't want to be 'that' guy, that gets remembered in a store by all the CSR's. Would ruin future opportunities for more realistic deals. 

Basically if I know it involves a CSR over-ride before I even go in the store, no deal. I save those for price match, returns, actual service issues, etc. 

#34 chrislisting   CAGiversary! Banned   1557 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

chrislisting

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

idk y CAG guys are getting so emotional about this. it said free, he shoulda got it free.

they screwed up, so what they should have done is just give him the free thing, and then quickly and immediately remove the free sticker and correct it so no other customer gets it.

thats it.

and good for him that he got it, too.

#35 JustYourAverageJoe   Dances With Deals CAGiversary!   1278 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

JustYourAverageJoe

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

Checked my local Best Buy while I was out, but they'd already pulled the tags down for the cards. I guess someone beat me there. Oh well!

#36 timberwolfbobby   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   372 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

timberwolfbobby

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

People like OP make me ashamed to be a CAG sometimes.

#37 jkam   Smash It Up CAGiversary!   12149 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

I don't know why so many people can't understand that it's a law.

Stores must honor shelf prices.

#38 theking20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4681 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

I remember a store manager and employee trying so hard to deny giving me a Onya or whatever that flop system card for free when it had the free sticker on it

in the end i got it but they took down the sticker haha and i could only get one.

#39 Dragonaxe3   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   356 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Dragonaxe3

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

I'm not even going to check. My two bestbuys don't price these. They have the price on them so they just throw them on empty shelves.. Smart lazy Bastards.

#40 Agent Orange   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   940 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Agent Orange

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:16 PM

a) the strength of such laws varies state by state

b) pretty sure that NO state flat out requires companies to honor obvious tagging errors or mistakes - so in this case, there is NO law on your side. 

These "shopping rights" laws are there to prevent systematic fraud and deception, not to make sure Johnny Cheapass gets his mismarked (or free) video game. 

#41 Bobby's Beasting!   All Day! CAGiversary!   4633 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

Bobby's Beasting!

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

YMMV? More like Your Whining Will Vary!

#42 OGHowie   Old Ass Gamer CAGiversary!   2004 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

Pretty ridiculous thread.

#43 mellowbusiness   CAG Ultra Noob CAGiversary!   13 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

mellowbusiness

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

May come as a surprise, but video games aren't the focal point for Best Buy.  Additionally, when you're hired there you're not necessarily expected to have any previous knowledge of anything in the store and are generally trained for a single role to start with (cashier, phone sales, home theater).  Now that they have no dedicated video game employees, I would expect fewer and fewer Best Buy employees to have any knowledge of video games unless they're just fans themselves.

Or it could have been some employee who was pissed off at higher ups who knew exactly what he or she was doing.

I work in retail and prettymuch any employee can make their own signs for anything in the store, just incase the automatic system flubs up.

Prices NEVER in retail print out by the system as "FREE" unless you buy one thing OR, buy a certain amout of items. Nothing is ever "FREE" by itself because the systems never sell anything as free. The lowest an item can go in the system is .01 cent. This employee knew exactly what they were doing and wanted to make their boss pissed and wanted the place to lose money, probably for some petty reason like "WAT DO U MEAN I CANT GET CHRISTMAS WEEK OFF, EVEN THOUGH I ONLY ASKED 4 DAYS AGO FOR IT!!!"

#44 nuuuuj   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   550 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

People like OP make me ashamed to be a CAG sometimes.

Exactly. OP knew exactly what was going to happen when he tried to get them to honor the mistake. Then he uses the ol' religion/matter of principle excuse. What a crock of shit.

If he was a true person of character and "the big 10" mean that much to him, the first thing he should have done was tell them the stickers were wrong.

#45 Double O Slevin   You have FAILED this forum! CAGiversary!   740 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

Double O Slevin

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

You know very damn well they were not supposed to be giving out games and season passes for free. Yes, yes, the free sticker gives entitlement and such. This is a prime example of why people hate working retail. Merry Christmas, give me free shit indeed.

You can "defend" your job and yourself all you want, but Best Buy is legendary for having absolutely horrible customer service year-round, not just holiday seasons.

#46 stonciddta   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   465 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

stonciddta

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

There is no such thing as pricing laws, there is regulations against obvious bait and switch, but there are so hard to prove and you would have to prove in civil court, not criminal court, so the cost comes out of your pocket.

#47 Chrono Gear   For the Horde! CAGiversary!   5230 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Chrono Gear

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

Exactly. OP knew exactly what was going to happen when he tried to get them to honor the mistake. Then he uses the ol' religion/matter of principle excuse. What a crock of shit.

If he was a true person of character and "the big 10" mean that much to him, the first thing he should have done was tell them the stickers were wrong.

So me telling them this was a pricing error is not telling them it is a price mistake? Of course I knew what was going to happen, but that doesn't give them the right to be pricks to me about it and tell me I'm lying. If they had said it's a mistake and we cannot honor it I would have agreed and gone on my merry way. Nothing wrong with annoying discourteous people that insult you and disrepect you before you have a chance to be rude in the first place.

#48 pieczonka   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   67 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:01 PM

I have done the same thing when best buy had a price mistake on some vita accessories they had priced wrong.  If best buy has a tag up saying free they should honor it.  The op did nothing wrong and for anyone to judge his character  because he got  a good deal is stupid.

#49 nuuuuj   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   550 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

So me telling them this was a pricing error is not telling them it is a price mistake? Of course I knew what was going to happen, but that doesn't give them the right to be pricks to me about it and tell me I'm lying. If they had said it's a mistake and we cannot honor it I would have agreed and gone on my merry way. Nothing wrong with annoying discourteous people that insult you and disrepect you before you have a chance to be rude in the first place.

There is a difference between telling them to correct their mistake and taking advantage of it. If you can't tell the difference, go back and hide in the corner behind your "holy book"

#50 Chrono Gear   For the Horde! CAGiversary!   5230 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Chrono Gear

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

There is a difference between telling them to correct their mistake and taking advantage of it. If you can't tell the difference, go back and hide in the corner behind your "holy book"

I can't tell if you're trolling me or can't/didn't read the OP. I acknowledged the price mistake, but the clerk refused to admit it even existed. There is a difference, but they do go hand in hand don't they? Don't worry, there's always room on the ignore list for people that just want to be asshats.

#51 getstew   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   23 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:19 PM

Good for you. They have the worst customer service anywhere and that entire company can suck a bag of dicks.

#52 thenutman69321  

thenutman69321

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:21 PM

It's not a law.  There may be some states that require this (although I personally know of none) but as a general rule there is no obligation by any store to honor a pricing error.  I don't know why so many people bring this imaginary law of the land up so much.

#53 nuuuuj   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   550 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:26 PM

I can't tell if you're trolling me or can't/didn't read the OP. I acknowledged the price mistake, but the clerk refused to admit it even existed. There is a difference, but they do go hand in hand don't they? Don't worry, there's always room on the ignore list for people that just want to be asshats.

Lol. You get called out on your garbage thread and now threaten to ignore people. Classic.

The difference is you had a choice, tell them their stickers are wrong and LEAVE, or stay, pick a fight, and take advantage of it. Don't try and justify a BS move with references to the Ten Commandments or getting butthurt because someone called you liar. On top of that, you posted about it here, and then got called a douche by everyone with half a brain.

#54 brandtron8000   Devilution CAGiversary!   329 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

brandtron8000

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

It's not a law.  There may be some states that require this (although I personally know of none) but as a general rule there is no obligation by any store to honor a pricing error.  I don't know why so many people bring this imaginary law of the land up so much.

Here's the CA law about it: http://codes.lp.find...1/d5/1/s12024.2

I've also seen a small sign at customer service that mentions this.

#55 Etherton   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   95 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:34 PM

Lots of holier than thou rollers in this thread. It was a price mistake and the OP decided to take them up on it. Get over it.

#56 Chrono Gear   For the Horde! CAGiversary!   5230 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Chrono Gear

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

Well this topic is off the rails pretty much from the start. However, I fully expected it to be when I wrote the post. I'm thinking it might be time to just lock this thing and call it a day. These kinds of YMMV posts are rarely helpful to anyone; I know I typically don't even bother to look in them since the odds are so remote that I would be able to get in on the deal. I suspect the topic of conversation this thread evolved into is not uncommon for deals like these.

To those that just wanted to give me grief about it, I want to assume you are trying to make a reasonable argument but I suggest in future to try with a little (or a lot in some cases) tact. You guys have some perfectly valid points, but you're making them in the form of personal attacks like I was some monster deliberately trying to screw Best Buy which is completely uncalled for.

I will be sending a formal complaint to Best Buy today about their customer service's attitude towards me and everyone else in line while I was there-they were being rude to everyone which was appalling. If anyone is interested in the conclusion of the story feel free to PM me and I'll let you know what happens. I can't imagine anyone would since I'm just some random person online that you have no reason to care about, but if you have been following this thread you may be curious as to the final outcome.