* * * * * 1 votes

CAG Hot Shot's Golf World Invitational Tournament - SIGN UP NOW!

#31 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3284 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

Rabbit means you hit the button too fast, turtle too slow.  Musical note is the perfect.  Skull... well you don't want a skull.  You want the note first time every time.

#32 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:52 AM

So, Standard Clubs, first course, normal rules...do we have to pick the same character, or is that an open option. Because I have all but one unlocked and leveled to the max.

#33 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

Congrads Ikeda, any others get their match in yet? Looking forward to seeing how the tourney plays out.

#34 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:08 AM

So, Standard Clubs, first course, normal rules...do we have to pick the same character, or is that an open option. Because I have all but one unlocked and leveled to the max.

How did you guys do this Ikeda/Jay?

#35 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:44 AM

Are leveled up characters any different? I was thinking that just allowed access to other clubs and stuff like that. If there's a way to even everybody up lets do that. How?

#36 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3284 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

We just picked from the chars we had.  In this game, the only thing that character loyalty increases is the number of special hits (which, I get something like 9 but only used 3-4) and the special shots (which unlock at loyalty 2 and 3).  As long as you don't use the end-game chars I didn't see that much of a difference between the 3 levels of toons.  It's up to ya'll.

Bit late to change what Jay and I did but I tend to choose Amy anyways.

There is ZERO way to have everyone be the same 0 loyalty though as far as I can tell.  So if you played some of the beginners, even THEY would have loyalty.  I think the only person I would think that's unfair is Pandora/Fatima.  (the last unlock)

Everyone else has their positives/negatives.  Though the experts do tend to have extra power.  But that doesn't help if you can't putt for shit. (especially if everyone uses "standard" clubs)

#37 stillshadow   Arcade Nostalgiac CAGiversary!   967 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

stillshadow

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:34 AM

Hey, I think you've already got this tourney going but I just wanted to add that I'm looking forward to playing this one again. I rented it months ago but finally bought it from that cheap eBay deal. I can't remember all the idiosyncrasies so I will have to learn it again. It's my first HSG game.

I will probably send some FRs to you guys that I don't have on my list just in case we do something else in the future. It's never bad to have CAG Vita owners on your list.

#38 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:47 AM

Cool man, we will probably do another tourney in a few weeks. If the current crew sticks around, we will be up to 10 people.

#39 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36695 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

Well it's a good thing Syn messages me today because I've been forgetting to check this thread.

#40 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:59 AM

We should also try to schedule LIVE rounds sometime. Early on we were able to get 4-5 (maybe more?) people online and into matches against other people. Was fun to see CAGs placing in the top 5 some nights :)

Well it's a good thing Syn messages me today because I've been forgetting to check this thread.

I'll jump on my Vita now if you want to host the match?

#41 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:52 AM

Doing turn-based with Eldritch right now, interesting way to play :P

#42 jay_remedy   Mila Kunis > Banned   6791 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

jay_remedy

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:25 AM

Ikeda's character was the mid tier one and I had the beginner one so he was able to hit a bit farther than me. That wasn't the sole reason he annihilated me though.

#43 EldritchOnRye   Flim Flam Argle Bargle CAGiversary!   36695 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

EldritchOnRye

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:47 AM

Syn and I just finished, he won -5 to -1.

I feel good that I did that well and was a few birdie putts that missed by inches from pushing him further.  That and he had an absolutely hax ninth hole eagle. :rofl:

#44 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:54 AM

Syn and I just finished, he won -5 to -1.

I feel good that I did that well and was a few birdie putts that missed by inches from pushing him further.  That and he had an absolutely hax ninth hole eagle. :rofl:

Good game Eldritch :D Can't believe i bogey'd those two middle holes *shame*. You had like 3 putts that were mere inches away from going it. Could have been a nail-biter. We'll definitely have to do that again sometime.

After this tournament, we should try to pick a date/time and all register for a tournament for said date/time. It's even more fun when we're all playing at the same time against other human opponents around the world.

#45 stillshadow   Arcade Nostalgiac CAGiversary!   967 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

stillshadow

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

Doing turn-based with Eldritch right now, interesting way to play :P

That's pretty neat, you can do it all turn-based, a la Words with Friends? One takes a turn and just waits for the other to do it whenever they can?

#46 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3284 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Ikeda's character was the mid tier one and I had the beginner one so he was able to hit a bit farther than me. That wasn't the sole reason he annihilated me though.

You should see me when I play with Ericka.  That girl is the boss but she has some serious swing issues.  And I can't get into the Gravity Rush one... she just... well her ball never flies where I want it to.  She has one of them arc balls but I don't think that's totally the cause...

Yea, there are 2 types of games.  1 is asynch and AFAIK it's each hole.  The other is live match. You play golf like you would in real life (i.e. further from the hole plays next).  Not sure how long asynch takes.  I think Jay and I finished out game in about ~20 or so yesterday live.

#47 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

That's pretty neat, you can do it all turn-based, a la Words with Friends? One takes a turn and just waits for the other to do it whenever they can?

See below

You should see me when I play with Ericka.  That girl is the boss but she has some serious swing issues.  And I can't get into the Gravity Rush one... she just... well her ball never flies where I want it to.  She has one of them arc balls but I don't think that's totally the cause...

Yea, there are 2 types of games.  1 is asynch and AFAIK it's each hole.  The other is live match. You play golf like you would in real life (i.e. further from the hole plays next).  Not sure how long asynch takes.  I think Jay and I finished out game in about ~20 or so yesterday live.

My match with Eldrich took like an hour or something to complete. Which was fine. But in the past I'm use to doing it live, which is quicker.

#48 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

AMillsy and I will be playing in 15 minutes or so. We'll do it live!!!

#49 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

Too bad there's no way to stream Vita play... or is there??

#50 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3284 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

Too bad there's no way to stream Vita play... or is there??

Uh.. AFAIK it'll cost you to stream it...
http://www.eurogamer...tput-mod-review

#51 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:29 PM

Uh.. AFAIK it'll cost you to stream it...
http://www.eurogamer...tput-mod-review

They could always setup a camera/phone and record that way. There are plenty of stands to hold a phone or camera stationary and then just play the game in front of it. Only problem is any movement of the Vita itself will obviously be shaky on video, but it's a far cheaper solution.

#52 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

AMillsy wins on a freaking tie breaker. LOL. Points. 0-0 was the golf score. I blew it on the last hole. I was two strokes ahead. Hit the water. Good match.

#53 SynGamer   Daydreamer & Dilettante. Rated M for Mature. CAGiversary!   8804 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:34 PM

AMillsy wins on a freaking tie breaker. LOL. Points. 0-0 was the golf score. I blew it on the last hole. I was two strokes ahead. Hit the water. Good match.

Ouch, I would hate to lose based on points. 

#54 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

Also there is an option to have unlimited power shot. I think we should use that to even things out. Nobody has more than anyone else.

#55 AMillsy   Central Michigan CAG CAGiversary!   520 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

That was a crazy finish! We'll definitely have to play again sometime.

I was struggling the entire time. Then on the last hole, I had a chance at an eagle putt...just barely missed it and tapped in for just my second birdie of the match. I was watching the updates on your shots after that and was just as surprised as you were that I won on a tiebreaker.

Also, I had no idea how to even do a power shot until hole #7. I randomly hit square and finally understood what you meant. Whoops.

I like that we can knock a 9-hole match out in 20 minutes. Perfect for a lunchtime break at work - which is what I did today. ;-)

#56 IkedaTeramusa   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3284 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

IkedaTeramusa

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Unlimited power shot can be slotted in the game setup.  It's one of the options about halfway down.  It's the same place you can setup tiny cup or mega cup or the like.  

On a 9 hole course, ESPECIALLY the later ones, you won't want to use it that many times.  (stupid Arabian quicksands...)

It DOES help with putting but you need to be able to putt as is.  (which is a learn by feel thing)

#57 Crunchewy   What? CAGiversary!   21876 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:56 AM

You can turn off the irritating caddies in this game, by the way. It's in the pause menu options once you start a match. I'm thinking I didn't hear them in multiplayer anyway, but I sure turned them off in single player. Speaking of single player, when do I get to use the stupid "beginner" clubs and ball I bought for some reason? It always says they can't be used.

#58 stillshadow   Arcade Nostalgiac CAGiversary!   967 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

stillshadow

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:12 AM

It's fun reading and picking up some tips from you guys. Love the casual gold but I'm still real green at this game.

There are some crazy trophies for this game. I don't think I will be getting most of them. How tough do you guys think the homing, etc. special shots that have to hit the pin are? Just chip it as closely as possible? And you need to be level 3 loyalty to do any of them, right?

What's the best way to grind out loyalty and points? Just lots of the challenge games?

#59 Yanksfan   Cubs Fan Too :( CAGiversary!   5389 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:10 AM

Awesome, just waiting on the Breakfuss/Pete matchup. I updated the tournament and put it in the OP to keep track of it easier.

Syn and Ikeda, you guys can play your 2nd round matchup whenever.

#60 MildObstruction   then let my “insanity” be the mother of my betrayal CAGiversary!   16711 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

MildObstruction

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:31 AM

Awesome, just waiting on the Breakfuss/Pete matchup. I updated the tournament and put it in the OP to keep track of it easier.

Syn and Ikeda, you guys can play your 2nd round matchup whenever.

Sorry, been laid out for a few days! Patching now, will get us started tonight.