Best Buy/Amazon - Puppeteer $19.99

Nice.  That's the price I paid just before Thanksgiving, but it's nice to see it out there again for people.  $15.99 after GCU.  

Thanks to handsomepete's advice, I gave this game a try.  I really enjoyed it.  It reminds me of a cross between Rayman and Littlebigplanet.

Thanks, OP.  I was curious about this when it was on sale around Christmas, but passed in favor of other deals at the time.  Just received my $15 code from Best Buy for spending $100 on an order a couple of weeks ago, so it seemed like a good time to use the credit.  

Great find. I missed out when Best Buy and Amazon had it for $20 now my $15 off certificate from Best Buy is ready =)

I would be shocked if isn't free on ps+ in the next few months. Looks like a great game though, theres a demo if you guys are unsure.

I was somewhat interested in this game but then I heard it was like Little Big Planet which I didn't like enough to justify buying and playing it.  I did like Gunstringer though.  I think a lot of these generic platformers are getting boring to me.  I'm all Mario'd out.

I was somewhat interested in this game but then I heard it was like Little Big Planet which I didn't like enough to justify buying and playing it. I did like Gunstringer though. I think a lot of these generic platformers are getting boring to me. I'm all Mario'd out.
It's only like LBP in terms of how it feels to move and jump--the actual gameplay and overall aesthetic are far more unique and enjoyable and thus highly worthwhile.

It's only like LBP in terms of how it feels to move and jump--the actual gameplay and overall aesthetic are far more unique and enjoyable and thus highly worthwhile.
I hated those aspects of LBP. Mostly I hated the brutal level design, especially towards the end of the game. LBP made me angry and I don't like to play games that make me angry.

I hated those aspects of LBP. Mostly I hated the brutal level design, especially towards the end of the game. LBP made me angry and I don't like to play games that make me angry.
I never finished either LBP1 or LBP2. I have enjoyed both games online by playing levels created by others. We still do. The creativity of the gaming community knows no bounds.

I never finished either LBP1 or LBP2. I have enjoyed both games online by playing levels created by others. We still do. The creativity of the gaming community knows no bounds.
I played through and completed the first one. After that experience I didn't even buy the 2nd one and never will. Anytime a game is compared to LBP (as a similar experience), I'll never buy that game.

I played through and completed the first one. After that experience I didn't even buy the 2nd one and never will. Anytime a game is compared to LBP (as a similar experience), I'll never buy that game.
Well its a shame you are so closed minded because youll miss out on A LOT of great games.

Just because something might be similar to LBP in some way doesn't mean the games are anything alike. Grand theft auto and saints row are alike and comparable but are worlds apart, battlefield and call of duty are a lot alike but if you play them online youll find 2 different games, new super Mario and LBP are a lot alike and comparable but completely different games, world of warcraft and everquest, fallout 3 and skyrim are comparable, and so on.

Well its a shame you are so closed minded because youll miss out on A LOT of great games.

Just because something might be similar to LBP in some way doesn't mean the games are anything alike. Grand theft auto and saints row are alike and comparable but are worlds apart, battlefield and call of duty are a lot alike but if you play them online youll find 2 different games, new super Mario and LBP are a lot alike and comparable but completely different games, world of warcraft and everquest, fallout 3 and skyrim are comparable, and so on.
LOL! I love this type of comment. People post on websites all the time that folks are "missing out". Hey dude, you're missing out by not eating a pile horse shit. I'm sure someone on Earth enjoys it.

You like something therefore anyone that doesn't like it and doesn't want to play it is "closed minded" and "missing out". Logic FTW!

Its a fucking video game, I didn't like it so I'm not spending my money on any more LBP games (or any games that are like it). It's not like I'm not taking my kids to the park and missing out on something actually important. The perspective in some of these types of comments are way off kilter.

Last edited by a moderator:

People are entitled to like or dislike whatever they want. If someone doesn't like JRPGs, FPS or platformers it doesn't make them wrong. If anything, Blasterman is better equipped to avoid games he knows he will not enjoy. Plenty of good games come out every year and no one can play them all. So knowing what you like and dislike is pretty important when deciding how to spend your money and time.

People are entitled to like or dislike whatever they want. If someone doesn't like JRPGs, FPS or platformers it doesn't make them wrong. If anything, Blasterman is better equipped to avoid games he knows he will not enjoy. Plenty of good games come out every year and no one can play them all. So knowing what you like and dislike is pretty important when deciding how to spend your money and time.
Exactly! I only have so much time and I can't play it all. It's not even that I don't like the platforming genre, I just don't like those games with brutal levels. It's why I don't play Roguelike games.

Puppeteer a great beautiful game, love the visual style and the entire experience. Tedious Platinum, so I may not bother but still a worthy title even at $39.99. Looks stunning in 3D too.

PS Plus members can pay $7 for the digital version beginning tomorrow on the PS Store.  Damn, I should try to return my copy to Best Buy...

PS Plus members can pay $7 for the digital version beginning tomorrow on the PS Store. Damn, I should try to return my copy to Best Buy...
Was coming here to post that. I may need to add funds to my PS Wallet.

Now I'm torn...I have a $25 BB Gift Card and really want the physical copy of this, but for only $7, I may have to save my GC.

While the general controls of Puppeteer are reminiscent of Little Big Planet, the actual gameplay has very little in common with that game. For starters, Puppeteer only has one flat level that you run across, as opposed to LBP's three-tier platforming. The general mechanics that are introduced in Puppeteer are also much more cohesive and less emergent than what you find in LBP. It is overall a much more linear, guided experience, with a lot more in common with more classic platformers. Perhaps most importantly, it wasn't designed to be played with multiple people at the same time. Puppeteer is a single-player game only, and this is reflected in the design.

The gameplay is decent, and there is fun to be had with it. But the real strength of Puppeteer is in the presentation. They committed hard to the puppet-based aesthetic, and it works well. The game oozes charm and craft. The last time I saw a game with a visual presentation this effective was Kirby's Epic Yarn.

If a charming, stylized aesthetic isn't your cup of tea, then it is perfectly safe to give this one a pass. But if you do find this even partially appealing, you would be "missing out" by not at least trying the first section of the game, or even the demo. This game must be seen to be believed.

While the general controls of Puppeteer are reminiscent of Little Big Planet, the actual gameplay has very little in common with that game. For starters, Puppeteer only has one flat level that you run across, as opposed to LBP's three-tier platforming. The general mechanics that are introduced in Puppeteer are also much more cohesive and less emergent than what you find in LBP. It is overall a much more linear, guided experience, with a lot more in common with more classic platformers. Perhaps most importantly, it wasn't designed to be played with multiple people at the same time. Puppeteer is a single-player game only, and this is reflected in the design.

The gameplay is decent, and there is fun to be had with it. But the real strength of Puppeteer is in the presentation. They committed hard to the puppet-based aesthetic, and it works well. The game oozes charm and craft. The last time I saw a game with a visual presentation this effective was Kirby's Epic Yarn.

If a charming, stylized aesthetic isn't your cup of tea, then it is perfectly safe to give this one a pass. But if you do find this even partially appealing, you would be "missing out" by not at least trying the first section of the game, or even the demo. This game must be seen to be believed.
The first section of LBP was great. It was only later that it became enraging. Is this game difficult or not? You didn't address that at all. If the game's difficult is like LBP then I would be "missing out" on wanting to crush my Playstation 3 with my sledgehammer.

The first section of LBP was great. It was only later that it became enraging. Is this game difficult or not? You didn't address that at all. If the game's difficult is like LBP then I would be "missing out" on wanting to crush my Playstation 3 with my sledgehammer.
If you're somewhat attentive in picking up moonsparkles (this game's coins/rings), you should get plenty of extra lives (out the wazoo in my case as my first playthrough ended with 90+ lives :shock:), but it otherwise isn't very difficult.

If you purchased this from Best Buy after November 3rd, you have until this Wednesday the 15th to return it under their holiday extended return policy.  Mine's still unopened, so it's going back and I'll get the digital version.

Is this game difficult or not? You didn't address that at all.
Well, it seems that you are very concerned about the overall difficulty. And thanks to all the family activities I was involved with over the holidays, I was only able to play the through the first world of Puppeteer. So unfortunately I can't satisfy your curiosity about the difficulty curve throughout the entire game. I can tell you that I was able to play through the first world of Puppeteer without ever "dying." I personally did not find the difficulty to be onerous throughout that initial block of the game. And while I am a fairly experienced player, I am not some twitch-savant.

But as you point out, the difficulty curve in any game does not necessarily remain consistent. So it's quite possible that the difficulty ramps up in later levels. You would need to get an account from someone who has played all the way through to know for certain. I do intend to revisit Puppeteer, and will most likely beat it. But I am extremely busy at the moment, so I can't just sit down and power through it. Before I get to Puppeteer I need to first complete Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies.

It's $7 on ps+ tuesday so i'm gonna get it from psn
The PSN sale tomorrow is going to have quite a few desirable titles for some very nice prices. If you have PS+ the sale prices are fantastic. (if you don't they are merely good/nice) Sadly, I already own boxed copies of most of the titles available. I specifically picked up Tales of Xillia and Puppeteer at full price to encourage/support those developers. There are one or two indie games that I will likely get. Thomas Was Alone is an easy sell, especially with its cross-platform support.

bread's done
Back