Tomb Raider at stores early

kvntwvlf

CAGiversary!
Feedback
38 (100%)
Game Informer and IGN both reported that you can buy the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition at gamestop already and possibly other retailers, and got confirmation from Square Enix that there isn't a "real" street date on it when it's shipped to stores.

Sorry if it's been posted already, and I didn't add ymmv since it's basically a given online that at least Gamestop definitely has it.

I have to agree lol. Some friends of mine were hyped for some reason so I thought maybe someone wanted to grab it before Tuesday.

There has to be at least one person super psyched they can...uh...use the ps4 touchpad to fire a bow...or something...maybe...

:/

Lol I brought it earlier, I posted in the Collector Edition thread about it. Was hard to find a copy as well, most stores only got 1-3 and were all pre-ordered

I dislike that its the same setup as the KH 1.5 Artbook/Disc case, but I'll just keep it in the slipcover

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine on xbox 360 for 20 bucks digital. Its a good game but i heard the MP sucks, so the extra MP add ons you get free are pretty useless. Dont think updated graphics are worth 40 bucks more.

I wasn't hyped for his until I heard that the PS4 version will be running at 60fps. 30fps and 60fps is a huge difference, so it will play way better than the PS3 version along with updated graphics. I do believe though that they should be charging $40 for this and not $60 though because it is a year old. I'm sure it will drop to $40 real fast anyways.

I'm game sharing it, so I'm getting the better version for $20. Sucks, I was hoping at least something would run at 60fps on Xbox one

Unless it's a poorly optimized port, I thought the pc version is generally the definitive version, especially if you have a current high-end system.  Even ps4 can't match that...

Unless it's a poorly optimized port, I thought the pc version is generally the definitive version, especially if you have a current high-end system. Even ps4 can't match that...
Every online comparison I've seen so far calls the PS4 version the best looking version of the game.

Not sure why this topic exists since this isn't a deal, but hopefully we'll start seeing markdowns within a few weeks.

Yeah we already got them shipped to us. Are we supposed to be selling them? No. They are marked with a date, maybe square enix wouldn't mind but gamestop sure as hell would. Those employees who are selling them must be in hot water right now. I had some guy call asking if we were selling it already, so i don't doubt IGN or GI would say something like that. Kinda annoying, whatevs.

Side note: I totally agree with it not being worth it. $60 is way too much. I understand that they put in some extra work to make it look more appealing but cmon, $60? Square Enix is known for their price drops anyway, so not too worried.

Yeah we already got them shipped to us. Are we supposed to be selling them? No. They are marked with a date, maybe square enix wouldn't mind but gamestop sure as hell would. Those employees who are selling them must be in hot water right now. I had some guy call asking if we were selling it already, so i don't doubt IGN or GI would say something like that. Kinda annoying, whatevs.

Side note: I totally agree with it not being worth it. $60 is way too much. I understand that they put in some extra work to make it look more appealing but cmon, $60? Square Enix is known for their price drops anyway, so not too worried.
But GS sent me an email saying Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is now available

GameStop is sending text and emails out saying it is available now. Even the website is saying orders will ship in 24 hours.

Gb6ccLu.png

Square Enix knows what they are doing when they put the MSRP at $59.99. Tons of people will buy it just because of the lack of next gen titles available right now until March.

i first played it on 360 and beat it at launch. i then got it for pc later on seeing it was on sale for six bucks on amazon just to have it. going to be honest this game is good but it's not worth to pay 60 bucks for a upgraded graphics. Only way i see point of buying it for that is if you never played it and don't have 360/ps3.

GameStop is sending text and emails out saying it is available now. Even the website is saying orders will ship in 24 hours.

Square Enix knows what they are doing when they put the MSRP at $59.99. Tons of people will buy it just because of the lack of next gen titles available right now until March.

Yeah, Dante84, check game informers's site, they have a direct quote from square Enix saying it's cool.
Well ill be damned. My dumb ass manager strikes again. Lmao.

Still not worth it though.

Just picked this up on Friday night at GS. After seeing the email from them and calling to confirm they had it, I decided to bite. Not sure how many they got but I did get one in regular case since I didn't preorder. I wasn't going to pay 60 originally, but since it only cost me 8 bucks after trade in of Pokemon diamond cart only and Sonic lost world 3ds from BBY I couldn't resist.

The GameStop store I work at had a small shipment of those and we only sold 2. One version had an Artbook in it

Just sucks that it doesnt have its own game case. Hate it when games are packaged this way.
There should be standard cases out there. The art book packaging was advertised as a preorder bonus and Amazon's separate listing for it is already sold out.

It looks great and I'd totally play it again with this overhaul, but $60 is too much for me.  I appreciate the depth the developers went to in this new version, but there is too much brand new good stuff coming out to put out full retail (or $48 with Best Buy GCU) right now.  I can wait until the Summer.

And, I do not care for that artbook case.  I'm a sucker for limited or collectible stuff, but my need for a standard case comes over all that bull crap.  I wish developers would realize 99% of the people out there who would seek out a collectible version really, REALLY, want a standard case too. 

I wasn't hyped for his until I heard that the PS4 version will be running at 60fps. 30fps and 60fps is a huge difference, so it will play way better than the PS3 version along with updated graphics. I do believe though that they should be charging $40 for this and not $60 though because it is a year old. I'm sure it will drop to $40 real fast anyways.
My thoughts exactly. Whats the point of releasing it on next gen if the graphics and framerate arent up to par? I loved this on PC (never finished) and was stoked to get this for X1 but after hearing about the framerate issues has me thinking twice now.

Just to add to the pile, Best Buy doesn't have them in stock; just called to two different locations to confirm.

Neither store knew about the street date being lifted, so they just said "it releases February 4", because Best Buy likes to be weird about it.

Most PS4/XB1 games available now are just ports with prettier graphics. Sure, Tomb Raider is nearly a year old, but it was easily one of the best games of 2013 imo. PS4/XB1 library is so limited, this now becomes one of the best games available. If you haven't played it, it is definitely worth getting this version at $40-60.

I could see a $10 off sale in the near future, but I wouldn't expect much more than that for awhile. I don't recall any PS4/XB1 games being less than $49.99 new up to this point except maybe NBA Live, which seems to be universally thought of as the worst next gen game.

Most PS4/XB1 games available now are just ports with prettier graphics. Sure, Tomb Raider is nearly a year old, but it was easily one of the best games of 2013 imo. PS4/XB1 library is so limited, this now becomes one of the best games available. If you haven't played it, it is definitely worth getting this version at $40-60.

I could see a $10 off sale in the near future, but I wouldn't expect much more than that for awhile. I don't recall any PS4/XB1 games being less than $49.99 new up to this point except maybe NBA Live, which seems to be universally thought of as the worst next gen game.
NBA Live is not bad at all its better then 2k14

Plenty of XB1 games have been on sale for $40 already, AC4 was just on sale for $32. I believe some PS4 games have been around $40 as well but I'm not sure about that one. This game will be far cheaper in no time being such an old game.

I agree it's a very good game but it should have launched at $40 at the most IMO.

Just to add to the pile, Best Buy doesn't have them in stock; just called to two different locations to confirm.

Neither store knew about the street date being lifted, so they just said "it releases February 4", because Best Buy likes to be weird about it.
My stores are selling them

Also is the game worth it if you trade-in stuff for it and you don't pay with any money for it out pocket

Last edited:
My stores are selling them
Mind me asking where? The stores I called are in Northern Virginia, both of which are stores I used to work at not to long ago/are closest to me. They also said they're only getting just a few copies in...something in the neighborhood of <10.

bread's done
Back