* * * * * 1 votes

UPDATE: Amazon to Raise Fees (7 days to lock in on Prime Pricing)

amazon prime fees

#31 irideabike   no show CAGiversary!   6039 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

irideabike

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

wish there was something I could spend the rest of my credit on, or even spend my credit on a year of prime.

#32 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6854 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

Welp. Locked in my rate for a year. With the kid coming, I'm sure that I'll be getting more than my money's worth with the overnight shipping after a few orders.

#33 renique46   CAGiversary! Silenced   2692 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

renique46

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:39 AM

For 20$ more i hope their services are better, who am i kidding they wont be.

#34 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16273 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

how are you guys locking in  your rate?  I'm not due till July.

#35 pitfallharry219  

pitfallharry219

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

http://www.cheapassg...increase-to-99/

It's in the OP.

#36 GBAstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9696 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:50 AM

Guyz... how do I lock in and extend my Australian .edu e-mail free student Prime account that I share with 20 others and use solely to drop ship my eBay orderz and beg for free credit????

HELP PLEASE!

#37 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6854 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:58 AM

In my case, I haven't been a Prime member for about 2 years so I just re-upped. Easy peasy for me.

#38 pitfallharry219  

pitfallharry219

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:06 AM

Guyz... how do I lock in and extend my Australian .edu e-mail free student Prime account that I share with 20 others and use solely to drop ship my eBay orderz and beg for free credit????

HELP PLEASE!

Says the guy who had his Amazon account banned for skirting their policy on limiting quantities of items.

#39 GBAstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9696 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:10 AM

Says the guy who had his Amazon account banned for skirting their policy on limiting quantities of items.

How else was I supposed to get 10 portal chell gunz?

#40 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16273 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:03 AM

Hmmmm... seems to be using a loophole.  I don't know if it's worth saving $20 to mess with amazon.

#41 b3b0p   Where's r0ckst34dy? CAGiversary!   3654 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

1. The streaming is not a separate service. They know if it was, no one would subscribe when compared to Netflix and Hulu, which offer superior, more streamlined and polished solutions.

2. 50% increase would be $119, not $159 as a poster above mentioned.

3. Amazon has razor thin margins or none at all. Thus, little to no profit, depending on the state of consumer spending. 

4. $20 increase is almost nothing compared to the cost of actually paying for shipping yourself, especially at 2-day shipping from FedEx or UPS. How much can you ship for $20 via UPS or FedEx 2-day delivery? Not much.

I'm happy they raised the price and I'm happy to support them. I knew it was coming and expected it. I'm surprised how long they were able to keep the $79 in place honestly with the costs of shipping rising.

#42 super_dawn   i ♥ DQ CAGiversary!   1203 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

super_dawn

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:57 AM

Just took a look and I'll be charged $39 in two weeks with my amazon student and then next year it says $49 charge for 2015...perfectly happy with this.  :)

#43 equistina  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

Welp. Locked in my rate for a year. With the kid coming, I'm sure that I'll be getting more than my money's worth with the overnight shipping after a few orders.

Do Amazon Mom!

It's saved me a Fuck load of money on diapers with the 20% subscribe and save discount

#44 benjamouth   Thanks Larry Davis for the sig !! CAGiversary!   7560 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

benjamouth

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:18 PM

I didn't even need to do anything, this is the email I got from Amazon

"Dear Benjamouth,

We are writing to provide you advance notice that the price of your Prime membership will be increasing in 2015. Your 2014 annual renewal will remain at the original price of $79. On September 30, 2015, your membership will renew at $99/year."

#45 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16273 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

"Dear Benjamouth,

We are writing to provide you advance notice that the price of your Prime membership will be increasing in 2015. Your 2014 annual renewal will remain at the original price of $79. On September 30, 2015, your membership will renew at $99/year."

I wonder if they got enough backlash that they've started doing this proactively.  And also they are aware of the gifting method anyway.

#46 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 14 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

Checked my account and have this message:

On April 08, 2014, you will be charged $79 for another year of Prime. Starting April 08, 2015, you will be charged $99 per year.

So I'm good for now.  I'll definitely keep it. I'll probably keep it for $99 too, especially if I moved (though I kind of doubt I'll move again by then).  My main hesitancy, as noted above, is having most things shipped to my PO Box due to package theft problems we've had at my new place as the neighborhood is pretty shady.  Prime shipping is less worth it there since it's just free standard shipping to PO boxes rather than 2 day--things tend to take 4-5 business days.

#47 eLefAdEr   All Systems Go CAGiversary!   1449 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

There is a pretty easy way to lock in Prime at the existing $79/yr price, not sure if this is stackable, but you could at least get another year out of it.

Buy a giftable Prime membership here:  https://www.amazon.c...gifting_landing

(Copy and paste from SD)

1) Set the delivery date as the date after your membership expires.

2) Enter your own e-mail address as the gift recipient. It is okay if this is the exact e-mail address already associated with your Amazon Prime account.
3) Place order (total will be $79).
4) Turn off your Prime auto-renew.
5) On the day after your membership expires, you will receive an e-mail from Amazon with the gift membership. Follow the instructions to apply it to your account.

Pretty straightforward.  I'm not sure why the thread title refers to 7 days to lock in the current price, with this method you have until April 16th (and maybe even the 17th) to do this.

And it's interesting to note that Prime is no longer a moneymaker for Amazon at $79/yr.  The Jeff Bezos philosophy is to continually expand and improve services, so I am pretty confident the overall customer experience will improve as well.  

http://finance.fortu...3/amazon-prime/

#48 eLefAdEr   All Systems Go CAGiversary!   1449 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Be sure to sign up for Amazon Mom, 20% off baby stuff through the Subscribe and Save option, plus 15% off through their registry.  

http://www.amazon.co...mom/signup/info

#49 shrike4242   Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else. CAGiversary!   49872 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:00 PM

"Dear Benjamouth,

You're one of the lucky ones whose membership renews right before the price increase, so they're being proactive and telling you in advance of the change as well as that you get out of it for a year.

Anyone who renews after April 17th isn't getting that message, though anyone from today's date until April 16th is probably getting a message like that.

#50 dmaul1114   Banned Banned   24688 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

dmaul1114

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

You're one of the lucky ones whose membership renews right before the price increase, so they're being proactive and telling you in advance of the change as well as that you get out of it for a year.

Anyone who renews after April 17th isn't getting that message, though anyone from today's date until April 16th is probably getting a message like that.

I don't think that's the case.  It has his/her renewal date as Sept 30....

#51 Donut2922   Read the OP! CAGiversary!   10047 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

I wonder if they got enough backlash that they've started doing this proactively. And also they are aware of the gifting method anyway.

This has me second guessing about the gifting loophole. Do you guys think there may be some consequence from this? The "everybody does it" argument doesn't work since we've seen Amazon ban customers in waves anyway.

#52 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16273 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:39 PM

This has me second guessing about the gifting loophole. Do you guys think there may be some consequence from this? The "everybody does it" argument doesn't work since we've seen Amazon ban customers in waves anyway.

I'm not risking an amazon ban over $20 no matter how low the risk.  

I wonder why someone with a sept renew date gets the $79 offer but I have a July date and don't get the offer.  

#53 FriskyTanuki   I have a piano CAGiversary!   67807 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

FriskyTanuki

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:32 PM

So what else are they going to do to non-Prime members to try to force them to join with bad service? They already raised the minimum for free shipping and delay processing and shipping of orders, so I'm not sure what else they can do now that they want even more money to join the club to get decent service.