Report: Amazon has purchased Double Helix Studios

What? Why?

"The deal was for both talent and IP"

I don't think they even own any of the IP's they've worked on?

I wonder what this means for Killer Instinct's future DLC's

I wonder what this means for Killer Instinct's future DLC's
It will most likely be developed by someone other than Double Helix. Microsoft owns that particular IP, so it definitely isn't a part of this deal. Microsoft is no stranger to assigning internal or external development resources to its various games. The core mechanics of Killer Instinct are already well defined. Future expansions for the game are a matter of cranking out new content based on that foundation. I would imagine there are any number of studios who can handle a task like that. (and would be quite happy to try) I wouldn't worry too much about Killer Instinct.

This is a surprising move from Amazon, though. They are clearly intending to bolster their internal development resources. I'm just wondering exactly what purpose they intend to use Double Helix to accomplish. They've never dappled in console development to my knowledge, so a studio like Double Helix is a strange acquisition. For the moment the only thing I can think of is that they intend to use them for native Kindle Fire development, or that there may be some truth to the Amazon micro-console we've been hearing rumors about. And perhaps it isn't so "micro" as was once thought.

that there may be some truth to the Amazon micro-console we've been hearing rumors about. And perhaps it isn't so "micro" as was once thought.
Yeah, it's probably for that rumored Android console that Amazon's supposedly working on. Because I really don't see them buying a game studio to develop games on the Kindle Fire.

But it's not really the best game company to buy though. Double Helix's track record isn't exactly big hits(Green Lantern, G.I. Joe, Battleship). Even before the Collective & Shiny merged into DH, they really didn't have any big titles since the 16/32 bit era.

Last edited by a moderator:
But it's not really the best game company to buy though. Double Helix's track record isn't exactly big hits(Green Lantern, G.I. Joe, Battleship). Even before the Collective & Shiny merged into DH, they really didn't have any big titles since the 16/32 bit era.
You don't go out to purchase a game studio based only on their pedigree for critical darlings. If a studio has a history of making critically acclaimed games, it's usually because they've been working on art-house fare, or they are known for making big-selling, popular blockbusters. (or they are a Nintendo internal studio) Art-house darling studios usually get snatched up quickly, as they aren't as much of an investment, and are good for prestige. But the big-selling studios are considerably more expensive. Both types of studio can be difficult to manage. The art-house style demands creative freedom, and denying them that negates the very reason why you acquired them. The popular blockbuster studio always has the option of breaking away under its own power. (look at Bungie, or what lead to the creation of Respawn)

Double Helix is a studio who has made a name for themselves working on other companies' franchises. They get contracted to take someone else's intellectual property and make a game out of it. And while not all of the games they've produced have been stellar, they tend to be stable, on time, and on budget. They are a studio that has proven their ability to work well under the direction of other companies. Their recent work on Killer Instinct has given them a bit of a boost in prestige and recognition, and I've been hearing good things about the upcoming Strider title. They are a studio who have a solid track record for getting the work done.

It's easy to see why a company like Amazon would want a developer like this under their belt. Amazon is a big company, with their fingers in an increasing number of pies. It makes sense for them to desire a game developer that they can slot into their corporate structure with as little fuss as possible. Double Helix fits that bill.

What confuses me is what they intend to do with them. I agree that a developer like Double Helix is overkill for producing Kindle Fire titles. (though it is a possibility)

bread's done
Back