Movie you didn't care for, that everyone else around you seems to love?!

flasm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
132 (100%)
Didn't see a post like this and I just was thinking about this so thought I'd start it up if anybody want to share! If there is one feel free to delete this one!

The movie that made me think about this right away was Pacific Rim! I didn't think much of it... but it's not my style, just think it's interesting that a lot of my friends loved it, but then I just have different tastes in movies than the most of them I guess.

Anything with Adam Sandler.  Completely unfunny. 

Or Will Ferrell in a leading role (except Elf, which is great).  His cameos are usually completely over-the-top, but if they last for only a couple minutes I can usually live with the rest of the movie.  

Or Chris Tucker.  I can only tolerate his appearance in The Fifth Element because he was on-screen so briefly.  Even Jackie Chan's charm and charisma can't save those god-awful Rush Hour flicks.

Tropic Thunder - When I say I hated this movie everyone I know looks at me like I have three heads. I couldn't find the funny, or the comedy just wasn't my taste. All the jokes were either way over the top or too forced. While everyone else thought it was hilarious Cruises performance made me feel embrassed for him, like he was trying to hard to be funny.

Cars - I love watching a good kids movie especially if it's Pixar, but Cars was boring, predictable and a terribly cliched "the liar is revealed then redeemed" plot twist. Not a terrible movie and it was a great concept for merchandising, probably why it got a sequel over better films like Incredibles.

Tropic Thunder - When I say I hated this movie everyone I know looks at me like I have three heads. I couldn't find the funny, or the comedy just wasn't my taste. All the jokes were either way over the top or too forced. While everyone else thought it was hilarious Cruises performance made me feel embrassed for him, like he was trying to hard to be funny.

Cars - I love watching a good kids movie especially if it's Pixar, but Cars was boring, predictable and a terribly cliched "the liar is revealed then redeemed" plot twist. Not a terrible movie and it was a great concept for merchandising, probably why it got a sequel over better films like Incredibles.
agreed

Tropic Thunder - When I say I hated this movie everyone I know looks at me like I have three heads. I couldn't find the funny, or the comedy just wasn't my taste. All the jokes were either way over the top or too forced. While everyone else thought it was hilarious Cruises performance made me feel embrassed for him, like he was trying to hard to be funny.
I thought the same thing the first time around, when it first came out. After watching it again last year, I found it to be hilarious.

Also, I was not a fan of Zombieland. I thought it was extremely overrated. Not bad, just overrated.

Anything with Adam Sandler. Completely unfunny.

Or Will Ferrell in a leading role (except Elf, which is great). His cameos are usually completely over-the-top, but if they last for only a couple minutes I can usually live with the rest of the movie.

Or Chris Tucker. I can only tolerate his appearance in The Fifth Element because he was on-screen so briefly. Even Jackie Chan's charm and charisma can't save those god-awful Rush Hour flicks.
I definitely agree about Ferrell. Anchorman was okay but the only movie I think I actually liked Ferrell in a lead role was Elf. I do like the majority of Sandler's work though (up till Anger Management. Most of what he has done since didn't work)

Completely agreed. Never liked either one of these movies.

Other movies I'd note...

-Pacific Rim

-Brave

-Ted (not terrible but nowhere near as good as hyped)

-Juno

-Despicable Me 2

I also gotta agree with Ted. Good concept with not a good amount of actual jokes. Maybe if I were into Flash Gordon I would have cared more.

Silver Linings Playbook - was pretty average

Shawshank - seen it 3 times now. While it's good I don't understand the high praise and that it supposedly makes men cry. Didn't elicit any sort of emotional response from me. In fact the end of Darabonts The Mist made me feel, which was surprising.

Avengers, just ok imo. The Amazing Spider-Man, which I think is honestly bad.
This. I'd even argue that Spider-Man 3, being as horrible as it was, is better.

So glad I waited till it hit DVD before I saw it. I would have walked out of the theater if I had gone to see it.

The upcoming sequel looks just as terrible.

I actually thought the new Spider-Man hit the tone of the character way better than the first trilogy. I hated lots of the Lizard stuff though.

I actually thought the new Spider-Man hit the tone of the character way better than the first trilogy. I hated lots of the Lizard stuff though.
I thought the original trilogy was dog shit. Hated the costume designs, some of the actors chosen, and just so many points that I personally hated.

Anything with Adam Sandler. Completely unfunny.

Or Will Ferrell in a leading role (except Elf, which is great). His cameos are usually completely over-the-top, but if they last for only a couple minutes I can usually live with the rest of the movie.

Or Chris Tucker. I can only tolerate his appearance in The Fifth Element because he was on-screen so briefly. Even Jackie Chan's charm and charisma can't save those god-awful Rush Hour flicks.
I spoke to a kid recently who said he hated Adam Sandler movies. I questioned him about Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore, and he had never heard of them. So, I could understand his dislike since the movies that have come out since he was old enough to see an Adam Sandler movie probably weren't that great.

For me it's Kill Bill.

I think it was 75% everyone hyping it up beyond belief so it could never live up to expectations, 15% my friend telling me how terrible it was and how much he hated it, and 10% either not initially getting it was SUPPOSED to be over the top or just not caring for the way the over-the-top-ness was done.

I didn't hate Amazing Spider-Man but I did hate the actor (Garfield). What an annoying performance, my nerves were on end watching him stutter around as Peter Parker. I don't understand why anyone would prefer his Peter/Spidey over Maguire. Yeah Spider-Man 3 was bad, but that wasn't really his fault, it was just a bad movie. And we still have Spider-Man 2 which is one of the best superhero movies ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I definitely agree about Ferrell. Anchorman was okay but the only movie I think I actually liked Ferrell in a lead role was Elf. I do like the majority of Sandler's work though (up till Anger Management. Most of what he has done since didn't work)
I think Will Ferrell is a love or hate kind of guy; there's not much in between. For me personally, I love him. Talladega Nights and Step Brothers were just classic. And Old School? God, don't get me started. But at the same time, I can completely understand how you couldn't like his brand of comedy. My dad hates him too.

I didn't hate Amazing Spider-Man but I did hate the actor (Garfield). What an annoying performance, my nerves were on end watching him stutter around as Peter Parker. I don't understand why anyone would prefer his Peter/Spidey over Maguire. Yeah Spider-Man 3 was bad, but that wasn't really his fault, it was just a bad movie. And we still have Spider-Man 2 which is one of the best superhero movies ever.
^The portrayal was a humorless stuttering Peter which I didn't like at all. The lizard was a lame villain and the movie was too serious yet had a bunch a silly moments that didn't mesh with the movie imo. At least Spiderman 3 is so bad its good. The sequel looks to have some improvements tho .

The Amazing Spider-Man, Up and Toy Story 3. I wanted to like all three, but I didn't come close to liking any of them. Though I can see why people would enjoy Up and Toy Story 3, but I just couldn't get as emotionally invested in the movies as a good majority of people did.

I thought Tobey was the better Peter, but Garfield the better Spider-Man.

And speaking of Spider-Man 2....Spider-Man 2. The shit going against Peter was bordering on unbelievable, the final battle sucked, Doc Ock was not a good villain, and I think the train scene was so horrible that anything in SM3 was better.

Another comic book movie was Dark Knight. Ledger's Joker was good, but I prefer the laughing insane murderer perfected by Mark Hammil. The entire Two-Face plot sucked horribly and the movie as a whole was way too long. I liked Rises more, though Begins is the only live-action Batman movie I can watch multiple times, though I prefer the animated works (Phantasm, Subzero, Return of the Joker, Under the Red Hood) more.

Keeping on the comic book theme: every DC animated movie between JL: Doom and War. Too dark, too gritty, and too violent for me. For some reason blood in these things never look right.

I'm another one against "Ted". Stupidest movie I ever saw.

Red Tails is one that just pisses me off. It was the most inaccurate documentary I've ever seen. On top of that, the animations sucked!

The Amazing Spider-Man, Up and Toy Story 3. I wanted to like all three, but I didn't come close to liking any of them. Though I can see why people would enjoy Up and Toy Story 3, but I just couldn't get as emotionally invested in the movies as a good majority of people did.
I have to agree with Up. I fell asleep during it. The opening scene with the flashback of his wife was the high point of the film.

As for Nolan's Batman movies I didn't care for Batman Rises.

I remember none of my friends in college, save one, liked Will Farrel. Never liked any of the Adam Sandler movies either, including Happy Gilmore. But I did enjoy his CDs back in the 90s ("Juan es muy grapo").

Ted was ok. It really was just a Family Guy episode extended to movie length, without any more material than a typical episode. I can see why people don't like it.

I loved Tropic Thunder, but there were parts that were over-the-top for me, like Simple Jack. RDJ and Alpa Cino were the best parts.

Anyways, back on track. Came here cause of my saying I hated Bridesmaids in another thread.

One of the main things I don't like that seems to be popular is Star Wars. I don't hate it, but I think the story is so elementary. I've actually never seen V and VI in full, just IV and I in full, and none of II and III. I love the Family Guy and Robot Chicken spoofs of them though.

I remember none of my friends in college, save one, liked Will Farrel. Never liked any of the Adam Sandler movies either, including Happy Gilmore. But I did enjoy his CDs back in the 90s ("Juan es muy grapo").

Ted was ok. It really was just a Family Guy episode extended to movie length, without any more material than a typical episode. I can see why people don't like it.

I loved Tropic Thunder, but there were parts that were over-the-top for me, like Simple Jack. RDJ and Alpa Cino were the best parts.

Anyways, back on track. Came here cause of my saying I hated Bridesmaids in another thread.

One of the main things I don't like that seems to be popular is Star Wars. I don't hate it, but I think the story is so elementary. I've actually never seen V and VI in full, just IV and I in full, and none of II and III. I love the Family Guy and Robot Chicken spoofs of them though.
You need to at least see V in one sitting. VI is good too but others will disagree.

Return of the Jedi has several good parts (Slave Leia, Luke vs. Vader/Palpatine, Slave Leia, the Speeder battle, 3PO actually doing something, and Slave Leia) with a lot of bad parts.

I've seen the Slave Leia parts, the Luke vs Vader parts, the Speeder battle... I probably have seen less of Empire than IV and VI though.

This Is The End - I only laughed at when they were talking about jerking off, other than that I thought the movie was awful.  If McBride was in it more, it might have moved me from hating it to it being just ok.

I also thought This is the End was really overrated. The best part was the actual party and all the stars playing terrible (or factual) versions of themselves, but that lasts all of what, 6 minutes?

bread's done
Back