Tomb Raider Definitive Edition - PS4 & Xbox One - Amazon Lightning Deal starts 2/18/2014 12am PDT - $39.99

Honestly if they had great single player DLC or added some real tomb raiding I would rebuy

But as is the GOTY version just adds map packs to the worst tacked on multiplayer of any game in recent memory

And the visual upgrade is so slight you won't notice anything after 5 minutes...

And the visual upgrade is so slight you won't notice anything after 5 minutes...
I'd be curious if this is true or just the usual hyperbole - I assume you've played it? I felt like I could tell the differences in playing AC4 on ps4 vs AC3 on ps3 but that's the closest thing I've been able to experience to make any kind of current to next gen comparison. Tomb Raider was a fancy looking game on the previous set of consoles but I know the PC folks talked up what junk it looked like compared to the PC version.

Not that I can bring myself to play the game again, I'm just curious if the shiny new coat of paint is as awesome as they claimed.

I'd be curious if this is true or just the usual hyperbole - I assume you've played it? I felt like I could tell the differences in playing AC4 on ps4 vs AC3 on ps3 but that's the closest thing I've been able to experience to make any kind of current to next gen comparison. Tomb Raider was a fancy looking game on the previous set of consoles but I know the PC folks talked up what junk it looked like compared to the PC version.
Not that I can bring myself to play the game again, I'm just curious if the shiny new coat of paint is as awesome as they claimed.
Her boobs jiggle in this version.

J/k I heard and read about the hair looking more realistic.

I never played this on 360/PS3 so I feel like this should be the price I should get it at. I'm not sure if it's going to drop as quickly as it did on those consoles to like $20 in 2-3 months. 

guess they dont really want people buying it since they are starting at 3am eastern time
It's going to be the all day deal. I'm actually mildly concerned the PS4 version might sell out before I wake up tomorrow morning. I may just stay up until midnight and put in my order, since I live on the West Coast.

Having played through the 360 version last year and getting the PS4 version day one, I can tell you it was worth it and other than NBA 2K14 and MAYBE Killzone it's the best looking game on the system. Sure, it really shouldn't have been $60 to begin with, but TR was one of my top five games last year and I couldn't wait to re-play it despite a backlog of well over 100+ games.

I'm going to buy it, beat it in one or 2 days and then trade it best buy for $37.80. Cheap rental and trophies. I got all the single player achievements on the 360 version in 4 days when it was released last year.....it's short and easy to hunt the trophies.

I realized that while the Xbox One version was running at slightly above 30 FPS, my older Steam version was running at 60 FPS, so I decided I didn't really need it on the One and sold it ... still a good game if you've never played it or purchased it before though.

Bone version should be dropping more. Reading NPD estimates at GAF it sold half of what the PS4 version did. The Bone version is also 30fps (though supposedly reachs near 45 FPS in baren areas) vs the PS4 60fps (It's not 60fps locked, it bounces between 50-60), and cutscenes are 900p instead of 1080p on the X1.. Not that that would matter if you only owned a X1. But if you have both systems go with the PS4. If you have just a X1 I would wait for even further drops.

Not trying to start a console war, rather just pointing out the differences to people that own both systems or plan on owning both systems down the road.

I too was excited when this was announced but disappointing when I saw the price point. I'll probably get a X1 version since I only own the X1, but I am holding out on the $20 range, possibly even lower.

Does anyone know if the MP graphics are improved as well? I haven't been able to get a clear answer on that. I own the 360 version since it was so cheap last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is still selling on eBay for $50 used, so $39.99 new is good. I grabbed the PS4 version.

Coming from a guy that 100% the original release twice, I can't justify spending $40 on it again (as much as I want to). I was tempted, but that's just too dang much. Will bit when it gets to the proverbial $20 mark. 

For anyone who hasn't played the game at all (and assuming you don't already own it and just haven't played it yet), this would be a great pick up. I've seen the enhancements and they are tantalizing!

i  just bit for $27.77 due to having cashback rewards from my discover card. I played a little of the 360 version, but never beat. 

Got it for PS4 only have killzone for it which I stopped playing halfways through due to boredom nice looking game though. This looks a little like uncharted which is one of my favorite series hopefully this makes me stop playing PS3 for awhile.

Honestly if they had great single player DLC or added some real tomb raiding I would rebuy

But as is the GOTY version just adds map packs to the worst tacked on multiplayer of any game in recent memory

I was reading that they dropped the tessellation effects from this version. What? Why?

I watched a number of comparison videos and read some technical blogs the other day about the changes. I'm not impressed and will stand by my PC version as visually superior to this re-release.

I never played this on PS3, so it was like a new game for me on PS4.  I've enjoyed it so far, pretty long game.  It's like Uncharted but with a chick.

Eh, I'm more interested in getting the PS3 version for $10 than the PS4 version for $30.  From what I've seen the upgrade is minimal anyways and it's not like the multiplayer is gonna be alive at the end of the month, let alone the end of the year.

Now, if only I could find a sale on the PS3 version that wasn't OoS within a minute.......

Thanks OP, finally a second game for my PS4 collection! I haven't played it yet so it is worth it for me.

Eh, I'm more interested in getting the PS3 version for $10 than the PS4 version for $30. From what I've seen the upgrade is minimal anyways and it's not like the multiplayer is gonna be alive at the end of the month, let alone the end of the year.

Now, if only I could find a sale on the PS3 version that wasn't OoS within a minute.......
There is a VERY good chance the PS3 version goes free in the next two months if you have PS+.

The difference isn't all that minimal IMO. I thought it was pretty significant.

There is a VERY good chance the PS3 version goes free in the next two months if you have PS+.

The difference isn't all that minimal IMO. I thought it was pretty significant.
It is quite significant.

That said if you're looking for a reason to justify playing a cheap version of the exact same game it's understandable and completely justified. But it's a really big jump in quality.

I'm awaiting the $20 pricepoint as well, but if the ps4 version isn't significantly better than the pc version, I'll pass. There were some amazing GeForce driver updates after I beat it that upped the framerate 40% or more that at release, and improved the speed of the dynamic hair thing.

If they'd added a 5 or 6 new full tombs to this, I'd have been all in, but as it is, its just last years game with a bit of new paint.

Amazon says they will get the Artbook edition for the Xbox One on the 21st. Any chance Amazon will match this price? I mean its the same thing, just one was for preorders.

I was reading that they dropped the tessellation effects from this version. What? Why?

I watched a number of comparison videos and read some technical blogs the other day about the changes. I'm not impressed and will stand by my PC version as visually superior to this re-release.
They dropped it because the tessellation method they used was Nvidia techonlogy. Both the "BONE" and the PS4 are powered by AMD videocards, the BONE with the crappier of the two.

I played thru it on the PC on a GTX 570, and until they fixed it thru patches the hair tessellation was a SYSTEM killer.. it brought people with crazy videocards to THEIR KNEES!! I had to dial down the settings a bit on the hair.

Really enjoyed this game.

Got it for $15 during black friday, but it was an experience that I would be comfortable paying more for.

Also means I would buy a sequel at a closer to 'new' price.

bread's done
Back