3/2/14 Sunday, Final Day! FREE GameMaker Studio Standard Edition (reg. $49.99)

Electroplasm

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
***Update*** Sunday (3/2) is the Final Day and it can take a few hours to receive the key and email so make haste.

Flappy Birds. Flappy Dicks. Floppy Bron-Brons. Your flappy $50,000 a day future of coke and whores awaits!

http://gamemakerblog.com/2014/02/22/gamemaker-studio-standard-edition-is-free-for-a-limited-time-50-value/

http://www.yoyogames.com/download/studio/free

For a limited time, GameMaker Studio Standard edition is available for free. Valued at $49.99, GameMaker Studio Standard is a significant improvement upon the free version of the software which imposes harsh restrictions on the resources that developers can make use of.

Additionally, developers can use their free Standard edition license to upgrade to the Professional edition (RRP $99.99) for only $35 more. This offer ends March 2, 2014.
gamemaker-standard3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for this, and to anyone concerned about not getting a key to register it takes some time for them to send the key, it took half an hour for me. 

I used to play around with Gamemaker when I was younger, this might just get me back into it.

Nothing better than free; Thanks OP!

Any idea how to get this to work for mac?  When I download the file it doesnt work but there is a mac os option but I can not figure out how to use it.

Any idea how to get this to work for mac? When I download the file it doesnt work but there is a mac os option but I can not figure out how to use it.

I'm on the same boat. I would rather do this on the mac instead of my pc
I'm not entirely sure, but I think this only works on PCs. It exports to Mac format, but you need a PC to actually run the program. I may be wrong, but I think that's how it works. The Steam page only lists Windows OS.

How easy is it to make games with this lol. I've never done such a thing before. I have some knowledge of HTML and Adobe Edge if that helps.

How easy is it to make games with this lol. I've never done such a thing before. I have some knowledge of HTML and Adobe Edge if that helps.
My brother bought this on Steam a few months ago and has already made 3-4 games with it. He never made games before, though he does work in IT, but I think if you are tech-inclined you should be able to get a hang of it with enough dedication.

EASY!

I used to work for a program where we taught it to 7-14 year old kids. But, we taught them using the graphical interface. No coding involved. You can make a pretty basic SNES type platformer with ease that way. Or a lot of other things using your imagination. Then if you actually code with it you can do a lot more. It has a programming language called GML which I think is kind of like C, but I forget.

i signed up for the newsletter.  don't have time to install the software yet.  I don't have to install the software to get the key right?

i signed up for the newsletter. don't have time to install the software yet. I don't have to install the software to get the key right?
I got the key email right after entering my email address into the program when I installed it. But installation really only took maybe 4-5 minutes. Real fast.

I never even subscribed to the newsletter.

FYI, GameMaker has improved substantially in the last few years so it isn't exclusively being used for terrible student games anymore - Gunpoint and Hotline Miami were both GameMaker games. OP doesn't seem to reflect the fact that it's actually a really decent tool now.

Thanks for this! I am a CSCI major and just started getting into mobile development this semester. Will see what I can do with this software too.

Stoked to get a copy of this.  You have to install it to get the key, but it's pretty fast.  Waiting for the key in email took longer than the install.

There's a Tutorial tab as soon as you open it up so that's where I'm starting.

Cool. Used to use this back in 2001 when I was only 14 or so. Hope I can still figure it out. Time to find out if I've gotten dumber, smarter, or leveled out.

EASY!

I used to work for a program where we taught it to 7-14 year old kids. But, we taught them using the graphical interface. No coding involved. You can make a pretty basic SNES type platformer with ease that way. Or a lot of other things using your imagination. Then if you actually code with it you can do a lot more. It has a programming language called GML which I think is kind of like C, but I forget.
Interesting. Have you ever heard of SCRATCH from MIT ( http://scratch.mit.edu ) it's great for helping explain logic and anyone can start building with it right away. If you know if they are still running such programs check that out!. It looks 'simplistic' but it can create some really advanced stuff.

Thank you @Op, grabbed this (haven't used it in years but may give it a go) definitely awesome and wort securing a key to!.

Hmmm....weird problem: I had the standalone version all set up with the free Standard key, but wanted it on Steam so I uninstalled the standalone / reinstalled through Steam. Now it wont accept my license key anymore. Putting it into the input field doesnt work (clicking the submit button does nothing), and reinputting it in the "register for free key" area doesn't seem to work either.

*edit*

Yeah, NONE of the buttons work. I can't even select "use free edition" from that same menu. Looks like the Steam version is just borked?

Hmmm....weird problem: I had the standalone version all set up with the free Standard key, but wanted it on Steam so I uninstalled the standalone / reinstalled through Steam. Now it wont accept my license key anymore. Putting it into the input field doesnt work (clicking the submit button does nothing), and reinputting it in the "register for free key" area doesn't seem to work either.

*edit*

Yeah, NONE of the buttons work. I can't even select "use free edition" from that same menu. Looks like the Steam version is just borked?
Yeah, had the same thing here.

Thanks OP, downloaded it and it seems cool and worth checking out. can't beat the price of FREE and who knows, one of us can make a game that would rack up some serious dough in the near future.

My brother bought this on Steam a few months ago and has already made 3-4 games with it. He never made games before, though he does work in IT, but I think if you are tech-inclined you should be able to get a hang of it with enough dedication.
Are you doing a Happy Hour for that bundle!? :lol:
edit: ... can't seem to get the box to enter my email address in to show up ...

hi, is there anyone that has experience with actual coding? While I play around with this, I'd like to understand proper coding such as C++ and stuff like that. Eventually in class ill have to create my own website using html. I'd like to be pointed to the right direction so i can learn.

Also, any softwares for mac would help since I use it primarily for school work

hi, is there anyone that has experience with actual coding? While I play around with this, I'd like to understand proper coding such as C++ and stuff like that. Eventually in class ill have to create my own website using html. I'd like to be pointed to the right direction so i can learn.

Also, any softwares for mac would help since I use it primarily for school work
http://www.w3schools.com/

That's a really good site if you want to learn different coding.

Shame the Steam Version doesn't work. 

Anywho, downloaded it and got the license key. Maybe I'll make a game someday. 

bread's done
Back