* * * - - 2 votes

Gun Homicide rates

#121 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6437 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:37 PM

How about writing out what you believe will resolve gun violence? You know, in a detailed fashion instead of "pass some regulations!". We've already gone over capacity limits (which you never responded on). What's next? Or is it all going to be vague personal attacks with no backing or facts? You're really bad at this. You've made no point.

Psst...lemme tell about my plan to end world hunger...
Spoiler

I have another great idea on how to eliminate crime...
Spoiler

My biggest secret weapon of all to eliminate gun violence...
Spoiler

I am ONE HUNDRED GAJILLION PERCENT SERIOUS about those ideas.

Last time I checked, my personal attacks aren't vague. In matter of fact, I'm pretty direct with them. I've even toned it down some(not that there's a need to anymore), but I'm trying to clean up my language a bit for the little one. Lucky you?

MY POINT was that gun FETISHISM, more commonly known as gun "culture," is so ingrained in us and the conservative's messaging is so powerful(even a self-professed left-leaning person like yourself uses their rhetoric), that even something like NICS checks for private sales or increased precautions if you have a home with someone that's mentally ill are seen as heresy. So yeah! I'm going to throw MORE REGULATIONS!! SO SCARY!!! at the problem because we're never going to get rid of guns or completely eliminate gun violence, rather than doing jack shit and let people whine about registries or slippery slopes.

"Resolve gun crime violence" you say? You might as well ask me to suck my own dick while I'm fucking my own ass. At least THAT would be more plausible than that STRAWMAN you're using to rape the concept of reason.

Oh and LOLZ@ThugLyfe™
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

Thanks for the nomination for the Most Memorable CAG Villan 2012, Blade!

#122 Fearia   I'a Cthulhu! CAGiversary!   1156 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:58 PM

MY POINT was that gun FETISHISM, more commonly known as gun "culture," is so ingrained in us and the conservative's messaging is so powerful(even a self-professed left-leaning person like yourself uses their rhetoric), that even something like NICS checks for private sales or increased precautions if you have a home with someone that's mentally ill are seen as heresy. So yeah! I'm going to throw MORE REGULATIONS!! SO SCARY!!! at the problem because we're never going to get rid of guns or completely eliminate gun violence rather than doing jack shit and let people whine about registries or slippery slopes.

More regulations?  I like how detailed you are.  "I'M ASKING FOR MORE LAWS!  I REFUSE TO NAME ANY, BUT MORE OF THEM!".

Rhetoric?  So, I cite actual facts with reasoning, but it's "rhetoric" now?  That's pretty awesome.  Way to address the points I brought up though.  Just throw the word "strawman" out there repeatedly without actually making a clear, concise statement on what your argument is.

So far, all you've said clearly is that it's "gun fetishism" driving the problem.  But there's a problem with that.  See, if it was the "gun culture" you are referencing, wouldn't most of the violence be at places like gun shows and NRA events?  Man, those rednecks are just killing each other left and right!  It's that gun fetishism brought on by the gun culture!  It's definitely not related to drugs or gang violence.  It's not like the outliers for our homicide rates in the US are places with high rates of crime that are typically gang related.  Every day, rednecks and suburban gun fetishists are just flocking to the inner city to do drive bys!

But hey, a registry is what we need!  Those registries have been the reason so much gun crime has been solved . . . oh wait, what's that?  That only happens in CSI?  But . . . but . . . that couldn't be true!

STRAWMAN!  Who's got one?!  You've got one!  Avoid addressing any points I've made, while throwing made up reasons to why the US has a homicide rate driven by outliers!  Man, that's some shit there.

Great point though.  Keep it up!

Posted Image

#123 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6437 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 05:01 PM

Hmmm...I mention NICS checks for private sales and increased precautions for gun-owning households with mentally ill family members and I'm accused of not naming any "laws" or being "specific enough."

I use the term "rhethoric" because that's what you use. You bitch about tossing out "facts" as if socio-economic conditions are somehow universal. It's not like collecting guns is a cheap hobby(no shortage of racist fucks either). Thug Lyfe™ isn't the vector.

I mention people whining about registries and slippery slope arguments...and then you go talking about CSI and solving crimes as if registries would be primarily used to solve violent gun crimes, which I never even suggested! Not to mention that completely contradicts your earlier statement in the same exact post about me not being specific enough!

We(as a country) obviously don't give a shit about poor (black) people in the country because they tend to be disproportionately populated in under-resourced neighborhoods, whether it's in an urban or semi-urban location, so we don't talk about that because it doesn't affect most of the country geographically(it does when it comes to population density though, but Fuck context amiright). Yet when we want to do something that would lessen the flow of guns or mitigate the possibility of mass casualties, we can't do jack shit because "from my cold, dead hands!" You just said yourself that "outliers" don't matter, so you really don't give a Fuck about those populations either! Syntax tried repeatedly to steer the conversation into talking about socio-economic solutions, but you kept wanting to talk about your fucking guns. Fine! You don't want to talk about the underlying issues? Then we'll go your way and talk about your fucking guns. Oh right, you don't want to talk about them, you just want to talk about how it's not an issue nor does it factor into other issues.

Here's an oldie:
strawmanargument.jpg

Fuck it, even I have my limits. Enjoy your straw. dohdough OUT!

Maybe...
dohdough.png

"Speaking of which, there's another elitist prick that argues constantly on the Politics forums by the name of dohdough. He's a complete douche, but at least he keeps his posts in that cesspool of useless opinions. He gets my runner-up nomination."

#124 Fearia   I'a Cthulhu! CAGiversary!   1156 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:13 PM

Hmmm...I mention NICS checks for private sales and increased precautions for gun-owning households with mentally ill family members and I'm accused of not naming any "laws" or being "specific enough."

You're cute.  Using short terms with no details and calling them "specific".  But hey, I'll humor you.  NICS checks are already in place for a majority of sales.  I'm fine with them being put in place for every sale, as long as it doesn't take longer to purchase.  You know why I don't care though?  Because they're already in place for the vast majority of sales, and most homicides aren't committed with a legally obtained firearm.  But hey, strike one for useless addition to an already overly complicated set of laws!

Increased pre-cautions for households with mentally ill family members?  You mean, like not allowing a person who is a threat to themselves or others to legally possess a firearm?  Like, how the law already is federally, and each state expands on to different levels?  See, this is what I mean by you not providing details.  But continue to throw around buzz words like they mean something!  It's cute and endearing!

I mention people whining about registries and slippery slope arguments...and then you go talking about CSI and solving crimes as if registries would be primarily used to solve violent gun crimes, which I never even suggested! Not to mention that completely contradicts your earlier statement in the same exact post about me not being specific enough!

You know why I said that?  Because you mentioned registries.  And "MORE REGULATIONS!" without being specific on what, so I had to fill in the blanks.  Kind've like how I had to do a moment ago.

So yeah! I'm going to throw MORE REGULATIONS!! SO SCARY!!! at the problem because we're never going to get rid of guns or completely eliminate gun violence, rather than doing jack shit and let people whine about registries or slippery slopes.

Details again, honey.  The arguments are always the same in regards to them:  Registries help solve crimes!  Except they're never used to actually do that.  So, how about you tell me what good they'd do if my earlier assumption on what you meant was inaccurate?

We(as a country) obviously don't give a shit about poor (black) people in the country because they tend to be disproportionately populated in under-resourced neighborhoods, whether it's in an urban or semi-urban location, so we don't talk about that because it doesn't affect most of the country geographically(it does when it comes to population density though, but shaq-fu%2196.gif context amiright). Yet when we want to do something that would lessen the flow of guns or mitigate the possibility of mass casualties, we can't do jack shit because "from my cold, dead hands!" You just said yourself that "outliers" don't matter, so you really don't give a shaq-fu%2196.gif about those populations either! Syntax tried repeatedly to steer the conversation into talking about socio-economic solutions, but you kept wanting to talk about your fucking guns. Fine! You don't want to talk about the underlying issues? Then we'll go your way and talk about your fucking guns. Oh right, you don't want to talk about them, you just want to talk about how it's not an issue nor does it factor into other issues.

Except earlier, I said socio-economic issues probably has a lot more to do with the issue than guns.  Thing is, how do you fix it?  Give everyone free health care and food?  We're already doing that, assuming you fill out paperwork.  Hell, I used to get both due to health conditions.  Very little pain involved!

How about education?  GREAT!  Raise the bar, I'm cool with that.  But I don't predict that fixing everything magically, because PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW BETTER THAN TO KILL EACH OTHER WITHOUT GOING TO SCHOOL.  It's not fucking rocket science.  But hey, drugs and gang violence couldn't possibly stem from non-moral reasons.  People can't just be greedy fucks, they have to be needy and under-provided for, right?

So, what's your solution, honey bunny?  The suggested one of model after other countries (like the UK) that Syntax and the OP suggested?

Mine?

-Education (Though I doubt it's going to change what you label "gun culture" violence . . .  even though it's really drug / gang violence.  But hey, at least we can raise the bar a bit.)

-Mental Health reform, because kicking people to the curb a day after they have a psychotic break is dumb.  "Well, they took their pills now.  And I know they won't tomorrow, but that's not our problem!".

-Crack down on crime in these high crime neighborhoods.  Take the drug pushers off the damn streets and put them away.  Zero tolerance.  Stop letting the fucking crackheads back out on the street after a week repeatedly.

-Societal changes - Maybe the phrase "stop snitchin" should be, I don't know, erased?  "Hey, I saw this kid do a drive by . . . but I ain't no snitch."  Yup, that's not helping.  How about some fun good Samaritan laws that punish people for being un-involved in fixing the problems in their own damn neighborhoods?

-Hell, I'll be nice here:  Let's do some prison reform while we're at it.  Mandatory education requirements for prisoners.  Don't pass?  Don't go home unless you're mentally disabled.  In which case, special programs for you!

Man, that was rough.  I can see why you refuse to put details and just buzz words.  Someone might be able to read what I wrote and criticize it!  SHIT!  I'M SCARED.

Good luck, honey bunny snookums.  I have faith in you!

Posted Image

#125 dohdough   Sum Dum Guy CAGiversary!   6437 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:38 PM

honey bunny and snookems?...You're getting pretty creepy there...

Free-Candy-Van.jpg
dohdough.png

#126 mrsilkunderwear   Just Do It. CAGiversary!   1500 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

mrsilkunderwear

Posted 15 October 2014 - 11:09 PM

1. If we're being honest with ourselves, it's obviously written to make sure that everyone can fight off the British if they try to take back the colonies since there was no standing army.

2. Bullets don't magically find their mark like the gun from The Fifth Element and don't turn into flower petals if they don't.

1. Yes, I believe defending against foreign invasions was one of the reasons but do you think that maybe it was also to fight a tyrannical government?

2. Ok but how often does that happen? When it does, is it from the criminals who have obtained the weapons through illegal means or by simply walking into the store and purchasing a weapon? 

#127 UncleBob  

Posted 16 October 2014 - 03:42 AM

You know, every time you post a troll meme, it just further entrenches the fact that you have literally nothing of value to contribute.

Indeed.
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#128 egofed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1003 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 October 2014 - 02:28 AM

One of the reasons the Obama administration is giving for not instituting an African travel ban is that people would find ways to circumvent it and still enter the country...any parallels that can be drawn to this gun regulation topic?

#129 rebelschs   Necessary Evil CAGiversary!   259 Posts   Joined 2.2 Years Ago  

rebelschs

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:30 AM

One of the reasons the Obama administration is giving for not instituting an African travel ban is that people would find ways to circumvent it and still enter the country...any parallels that can be drawn to this gun regulation topic?

Pretty much Obama has showed us that you can pretty much walk across the border.

I think the sadder part is that NORTH FUCKING KOREA has a travel ban.

Yes North Korea is handling the ebola situation better than the USA.

The South will rise again.